Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Commoners posted:

Why would we take care of the thread when we have civilian contractors to do it for us?

Just make it the motto of GiP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Netanyahu posted:

The United States Navy has always been my favorite branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. It's inherent multi-role capabilities is what makes it so interesting. When I was much younger I used to always think the Navy exclusively operated in/near water and any aircraft use was strictly exclusive to the U.S. Airforce (I thought carrier take-offs were events facilitated by the american Airforce).

Other than the Seals/jets, what other cool poo poo is the US Navy responsible for doing that the general public might not be aware of?

EDIT: Immeasurable respect for the people serving.

My avatar.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There's some sensational reporting in there that makes me want to punch Mr. David Larter in the dick (and then get rung up on SAPR charges). But still, :stare:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I thought there was a CG that ran aground near saipan about ten years ago.

Edit: Yeah a few post up.

My old ship, the Port Royal, ran aground outside the harbor right near the Honolulu airport. It had the prettiest blue bottom.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DownByTheWooter posted:

Don't do this. Move the money into whatever Index funds in it that you like, and boom you have a mutual fund with super low admin costs, that is Roth tax-advantaged, and is deducted from your paycheck before you get to blow that money on dumb poo poo.

I can't quote this enough. Vanguard Admiralty S&P shares are basically the best private company mutual funds you can get. Their admin cost is still like 4 times that of the TSP.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You can also roll your TSP into another retirement account eventually, if you want.

To put this into perspective for you, I'm going to do some simple math. Let's say you contribute only $5,500 a year to retirement savings (the max amount allowed to a Roth IRA account this past year in 'our' age group). Those two years of investment ($11,000) alone will be worth somewhere between $11,500 and $12,705 depending how you invest it (vehicle/time) and historical S&P averages. Median returns would give you a much higher number. That's not the important part though. Let's take the $11,500 figure. Over 25 years of average growth with no further contribution you're looking at ~$125,000.

That means that by not maintaining those two years of investment, you're missing out on ~$113,500 that you would otherwise have "for free" 25 years from now. Is it worth it?

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 7, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
For me for instance, I work in a job that is pretty easy going with their hours as long as the work is done. It doesn't make sense for me to take terminal because I can do everything I need to do anyway, and will be moving out of the area at separation. Meanwhile I'll get however many days of basic pay (probably 45) which is a significant chunk of change on top prior to moving.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SquirrelyPSU posted:

There is zero reason to not take terminal. Who the gently caress wants to play Navy for any longer than they have to? OH WOOP DEE DO ANOTHER 30 DAYS OF NAVY BULLSHIT OH WAIT I DONT ACTUALLY HAVE TO BE HERE RIGHT NOW WOOPS

You should probably calm down dude, and I have a pretty good reason to not take terminal.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think it's ridiculous to say "always take terminal." It's usually what you should do, and that carries the caveat that you have other work lined up following the Navy. If you're getting out and going straight to school I'd be hesitant to say that you should take terminal. Those extra thousands of dollars could be huge.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 9, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zotix posted:

Don't go pick a job i don't want? Or dont go down at all and talk to another recruiter? I'm thinking of just going and seeing what's available and if it's not there then gently caress em. The other recruiters were trying to tell me so many other jobs do IT stuff, and also do network security.

I did also talk to the officer recruiter today, but that was a no go. My gpa was a bit too low.

gently caress that poo poo, get the rate you want or don't do it at all.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Or you could just lie to him, tell him you'll take anything, go down there, then take nothing when what you want isn't there and tell him to go gently caress himself on your way out.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
He said he did talk to the O recruiter but was turned down for GPA reasons.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Constantine XI posted:

Sometimes it works out. Just gotta stay out of trouble and be persistent about what you want. Did my year in Deck and now I'm finishing up IS A school and looking forward to finishing out my contract in sunny San Diego. On shore duty. :cool:

You over at NMITC? Every so often I drive over to Dam Neck and I always get a bit of a chuckle at the marching around in formation poo poo, especially here in this lovely Virginia humidity.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lucius posted:

I just went to safeway to buy limes and nacho ingredients. I don't understand why anyone would want to eat boat food.

What ship has midrats in port?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lucius posted:

From what I was reading you get partial BAH if you take classes online. But if you're not fulltime then you get no BAH. Partial is like $700 a month which is ok, but it looks like full is like $2000 a month -- and I think that's tax free.

Yeah, allowances are always tax-free.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm in California because I accepted a Norfolk billet.

Tomahawk is awesome and if you ever turn down a TLAM related billet you should probably consider making a career in the Navy because you make terrible decisions and will go far in the Navy.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Also suffering massive renal failure :)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

poopkitty posted:

I have to think the pace and volume of information is a little different in Power School than HM "A" School. IJS. It's your job. IDGAF if you're sleepy. Suck it up. Thank the Spaghetti Monster he'll never have to stand a 02-07 in CIC in the XNAG.

I once, while nodding off myself in the NAG on the rev, stood up to try and stay awake and woke up the TAO for the second time. Realizing that combat was very, very quiet I turned the corner and found every single watchstander in air alley (cruiser CIC) asleep except for my FC at CIWS who looked at me bewildered. CSC was drooling on his console keyboard.

100% on watch.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

bengy81 posted:

If you don't hate your job then take the 70k. If you hate yourself and wake up wanting to punch babies and little old ladies then get out.

Either option is what you make of it. If you aren't a complete idiot and know how to wear a suit and tie, you can probably get a job in your field, or hack your way through college, but if your grand plan is to move home and save up money for "lawyer school" or some other bs, then stay in, you will be better off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Command ballcaps can be worn with NWU's after labor day. So that's pretty cool I guess.

• Locked thread