Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Problem description: So here's the deal. I have been in way, way over my head in a tech support job at a place where literally no one is more tech-savvy than I am except the poor overworked network admin who is just grateful for me taking some work off his shoulders. I have an A+ and 20 years tinkering with my home PCs and networks, and I am somehow "supervisor" of the help desk after less than a year, with no one around to ask questions or spot me doing something wrong.

Fool that I am, I handled a backup of some 75k files totaling 4.5TB by putting them all inside the same folder. And now it turns out that the software that reads them can't work because it is expecting them to be in three folders like they were originally.

Attempted fixes:
If I try to filter the folder and ctrl-x the ones I need, the system maxes out on RAM. If I then try to paste them somewhere, it ends up dropping the process entirely. TeraCopy, which I've used before for my own, much smaller backups, is also a drag and drop operation and I can't even move the things to the TeraCopy window. From command prompt, "move c:\asdf\*suffix.dat c:\fdsa" works on my Win8.1 machine at home but gives me parsing errors on their Win7 machine because there are parentheses in the filenames. (Is there a way around this? I'm wondering whether it would work from Win7 Powershell?) I'm also not even sure that it would do what I needed.

I have to go back in once they close tonight to try to fix this, and the only other things I can think of to do is drag and drop all 75k files 10 or 20 at a time. :(

Recent changes: I have pulled some of my hair out.

--

Operating system: 32-bit Win7 Pro

System specs: i5 4670, 4GB RAM, way too much storage.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Try robocopy.

• Locked thread