Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bass Bottles posted:

I think people were more talking about serious living room TVs not cheap bedroom sets but hopefully they will clarify this over the next five pages or so & we can finally get to the bottom of this!!

Well if I can get a $50 difference on a $200 piece of junk then there's probably a $50 difference on a $1000 stunner too, though $50 is all that extra tech is worth really

I got my living room TV as a discontinued model so because of that I got a big one with a fast refresh and 3D (hooray feature I never use) for less than the price of a stupid one with a slow refresh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Minidust posted:

If you're the type of person posting in a PlayStation 4 thread, there's no need to pay extra for Smart TV stuff, also there's no reason to proactively avoid it if all other things are equal. I have no idea how a 5-page discussion was wrangled out of that but hey, goons.

I can't help but lol at people using their quad core energy guzzling PS4 to stream loving Netflix 24/7 tho. Just get a $35 aAmazon Google/roku stick

Just imo and all that

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Attitude Indicator posted:

Which video projector should i get for my ps4, guys?

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZjosb9RDMA

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

How about Here They Lie? I bought that last week on sale and it's a huge POS branded with SMS.

Same exact deal, that was The Tangentlemen. SMS throws their logo on there because they essentially work as an incubator and assist with general gameplay and technical issues if needed, but the lead development effort is made by whatever indie is in there.

Think of it like Japan Studio, who work with, say, Clap Hanz for Hot Shots, or genDESIGN for Last Guardian, or From with Bloodborne. I'm sure there's a little co-development, but for the most part, the games aren't made by Santa Monica itself on the level of something like God of War, they're just assisting where needed, and all the heavy lifting is done by the devs themselves.

It's confusing, definitely.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CrashCat posted:

Well if I can get a $50 difference on a $200 piece of junk then there's probably a $50 difference on a $1000 stunner too, though $50 is all that extra tech is worth really

I got my living room TV as a discontinued model so because of that I got a big one with a fast refresh and 3D (hooray feature I never use) for less than the price of a stupid one with a slow refresh

I'm the guy who still wants the slow refresh because even without motion interpolation, 120hz and 240hz bug my eyes. Luckily I have yet to see a TV that didn't let me change that in the settings.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo. That's awesome. Reminds me of those old sega hologram arcade cabinets.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

Which video projector should i get for my ps4, guys?

One with Smart TV functionality built in.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real talk unless you have a dedicated home cinema room, don't get a projector. They seem like a good idea at the time but wait until the summer and your room is like 500 degrees and you have to open the windows and then you can't see your screen because it's too bright and :argh:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I can't help but lol at people using their quad core energy guzzling PS4 to stream loving Netflix 24/7 tho. Just get a $35 aAmazon Google/roku stick

Just imo and all that
You don't have to use 100% CPU all the time :ssh:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CrashCat posted:

Just lol if you waste CPU cycles instead of having every processor in your home IoT folding@home.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was going to say the price was nuts (cool projector though) but then the guy said 100 inch TVs are 50 grand?! 70 inches are pretty common now. What about that extra 30 makes them cost like 25 times as much as a 70 in?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when you're talking sony A/V equipment the price is gonna be crazy

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Real talk unless you have a dedicated home cinema room, don't get a projector. They seem like a good idea at the time but wait until the summer and your room is like 500 degrees and you have to open the windows and then you can't see your screen because it's too bright and :argh:

Modern, cheap projectors are pretty bright these days. The expensive ones could probably blind planes during the day if you pointed them at the sky. Also, TVs already have this problem because they use super glossy plastic for some godawful reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

when you're talking sony A/V equipment the price is gonna be crazy

Is there something that warrants the price or are they just hoping like, pro athletes buy them to show off?

That reminds me that Walkmans are $2000.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

CrashCat posted:

Yeah idk the specifics or have numbers but I can't imagine it's very efficient regardless

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The heat is still a serious issue for home set ups. I used to use a projector with my PS3 a lot and during the summer the room would become a sweat box.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FadedReality posted:

The worst thing about Mass Effect 3 was that you had Paragon and Renegade props for the dumbest poo poo ever. I remember one scene in particular you had a paragon prompt to shake hands with a returning character from a previous game. So basically if you don't hit that prompt you just stare them down like a weird idiot. Other than that it was pretty decent and the multiplayer is awesome. I also liked Dragon Age Inquisition and every Bethesda game and will probably like Mass Effect Andromeda because I'm very easy to please.

The problem with Renegade in Mass Effect 3 isn't the prompts, it's that it actively turns self-sabotaging. The whole point of Renegade is supposed to be "the same end, via as direct a means as possible", and in ME3 it just turns into "gently caress this guy, gently caress that guy, who cares if it fucks the Galaxy at large?"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

veni veni veni posted:

I was going to say the price was nuts (cool projector though) but then the guy said 100 inch TVs are 50 grand?! 70 inches are pretty common now. What about that extra 30 makes them cost like 25 times as much as a 70 in?

The thirty inches is diagonal right? That's adding 2200 square inches of panel onto a 70" TV which is roughly 2100 square inches by itself. So it's more than twice the area on a contiguous panel of LED's for which there may be only a single factory in the world with the equipment to actually handle building it. 50k USD is steep but it's not surprising that it's much more expensive.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 6, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

do you not have air conditioning

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

do you not have air conditioning

Nope. Not really necessary where I live.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Bigger panels aren't being manufactured that much so they cost more. Flanders Scientific makes professional grade monitors and their 17 inch OLEDs cost more than the bigger ones for the same reason.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The level design in Titanfall 2 is so cool, that level inside the factory and the subsequent fight in the training dome are cool as poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There is a level a little bit later that blows everything else in that game away. Overall they have very good gimmicks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, I've been playing the Assassin's Creed collection and it's a pretty drat good remaster compared to some of the garbage that's come out in the last year as remastered. But I can't help but feel that they missed out on an opportunity to put another meta spin by having the collection being an Abstergo product, the way they did with the recent games. Also some of the controls have not aged well at all. Makes you appreciate how refined the formula had gotten.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did they fix the goofy climbing? i know they removed the embarrassing npc in a patch

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

DrNutt posted:

Man, I've been playing the Assassin's Creed collection and it's a pretty drat good remaster compared to some of the garbage that's come out in the last year as remastered. But I can't help but feel that they missed out on an opportunity to put another meta spin by having the collection being an Abstergo product, the way they did with the recent games. Also some of the controls have not aged well at all. Makes you appreciate how refined the formula had gotten.

If they left the Abstergo garbage out of it these would all be such better games

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I had a hand me down 80 or so inch projection huge rear end box TV until the bulb burned out and I liked it a lot even when it was dimming. It had a neat look.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with Renegade in Mass Effect 3 isn't the prompts, it's that it actively turns self-sabotaging. The whole point of Renegade is supposed to be "the same end, via as direct a means as possible", and in ME3 it just turns into "gently caress this guy, gently caress that guy, who cares if it fucks the Galaxy at large?"

Yeah that too. I don't know who the hell they were catering to with the Renegade choices in that game because I loved kicking a guy out a window instead of talking through the situation or socking a reporter in the prior games. People try to defend ME3 Renegade as the stakes are high which is you're super aggressive but that doesn't explain being a raging rear end in a top hat to everyone you meet.

ReverendDre posted:

If they left the Abstergo garbage out of it these would all be such better games

Black Flag's Abstergo stuff got a little laborious but I'm the one ruining everything by really enjoying the meta Abstergo layer of the series.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the abstergo stuff is the only interesting part of the plot

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
A story about assassins fighting in Jerusalem or Baghdad or something doesn't have to be bad unless it's being made by Ubisoft.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Real hurthling! posted:

did they fix the goofy climbing? i know they removed the embarrassing npc in a patch

Embarrassing NPC? Not sure what you're referencing, but the climbing is definitely way more clunky and less refined than the recent games, obviously. Sometimes Ezio will refuse to go any further, despite there being reachable ledges, and leaps of faith are a lot more finicky than I remember, which has resulted in some lovely deaths. The tackle seems really glitchy when trying to tackle Borgia couriers, you wind up floating around in some weird limbo quite often before plunging to the ground empty handed.

It's been so long since I've played that I don't remember if these things were always a problem with the originals also, but honestly it's forgivable for the decreased loading times and consistent frame rate.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

bloodychill posted:

A story about assassins fighting in Jerusalem or Baghdad or something doesn't have to be bad unless it's being made by Ubisoft.

the best rear end creed game is batman arkham city

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrNutt posted:

Embarrassing NPC? Not sure what you're referencing, but the climbing is definitely way more clunky and less refined than the recent games, obviously. Sometimes Ezio will refuse to go any further, despite there being reachable ledges, and leaps of faith are a lot more finicky than I remember, which has resulted in some lovely deaths. The tackle seems really glitchy when trying to tackle Borgia couriers, you wind up floating around in some weird limbo quite often before plunging to the ground empty handed.

It's been so long since I've played that I don't remember if these things were always a problem with the originals also, but honestly it's forgivable for the decreased loading times and consistent frame rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmnJvv-peF4

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Also that NPC was in the original AC2 and Polygon are dumbasses. Again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah he looks fine in a 2016 remaster i guess there's nothing to laugh at here.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

HGH posted:

Also that NPC was in the original AC2 and Polygon are dumbasses. Again.

If only it were possible to have video game ports that fixed previous flaws.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

They patched out that dude apparently.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah whoa clear 1080p textures from 8 years ago don't look as good when we've got the lighting cranked to 11 and there's no muddy sub 720p resolution to hide all the janky bits thanks Polygon

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

DrNutt posted:

Yeah whoa clear 1080p textures from 8 years ago don't look as good when we've got the lighting cranked to 11 and there's no muddy sub 720p resolution to hide all the janky bits thanks Polygon
If you can't actually make it look better though, it's just a lovely cash in re-release made for no other reason than greed

Not that this is unusual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

If only it were possible to have video game ports that fixed previous flaws.
While that'd be nice, their narrative was "Look at what this remaster totally broke!" not "This remaster retains previous flaws and Ubisoft are lazy".

• Locked thread