Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

If anyone is interested, my friend's fiance is trapped in Donetsk now, and he shared some excerpts from their chats with me about what her life is like now and gave me the go-ahead to share them with others. I'm phone posting now, but I can get them up once I'm home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

No, my friend from America, whose only connection to Ukraine is through his fiancee.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

utjkju posted:

I did not understood.
Fiancee of your friend from America is living in Doneck. Your friend live in America.
Is this correct?

Yes, they met in college.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

Alright, a bit of background on my source: She is from Ukraine, lived and studied in Moscow, and went to a pretty good college here in the US for a bit. Prior to the Ukraine fiasco, she thought positively of Putin and his policies in general, and only started to get leery with the Crimea issue. She and her family are from Donetsk, and trapped there now. They were preparing to move closer to family near Kiev to escape this when their car broke down and they were notified that the separatists were not allowing anyone to leave the city. In these excerpts, whenever she is referring to the terrorists, she means the pro-Russian Donetsk forces.

She works on the other side of the city from where her family lives, and often just stays at work, where there is a kitchen and sleeping area now, rather than risk travelling across the city, especially at night. She has had 2 of her childhood friends killed in the fighting/siege. She still goes to work across a warzone everyday, and is a braver and tougher person than I will ever be.

I don't believe she is lying in her conversations. I realize I'm posting this with little credibility, and no sourcing beyond "my longtime friend's fiance". This is the perspective of someone living through a truly awful situation, believe it or not, make of it what you will.

quote:

During the day it is pretty calm. I can walk for blocks without seeing anyone, passing by shops that lay open and ruined by looting. The terrorists say that they need it for the war effort and that the merchants deserve it for abandoning us. Sometimes I don't see any other until I reach the bus stop.

quote:

I can still buy everything I need. They're not letting in new post or cargo so I hope the war ends soon. I don't know if there will be anything left to sell in a few months.

quote:

At night the shelling starts. It can be heard all over the city, whether I stay at work or go home. If it gets dark and I am still at work, I will just stay there overnight. The shelling is scary, but that is mostly focused on the terrorist headquarters. I am worried that one might hit me. I'm more scared of the terrorists though and what they might do to me if they find me out alone. There is no one around and no one would ever know.

quote:

Terrorists regularly break into abandoned flats to loot them. It's for the war effort, they say. They leave the place completely ruined. After they take all of the valuables, they smash whatever they don't want. My neighbor's windows were all smashed and left open. After the terrorists left, my dad boarded up the windows and closed the door so that animals won't get in.

quote:

My mom says that if the terrorists come to our place she's going to kill them herself. She used to think that maybe Donetsk should be closer to Russia, but since the terrorists took over she's been against it. She thinks every one of them should die for what they've done to our city. I think Russia should be bombed. One bomb for every gun they've given to the terrorists.

quote:

There was gunfire near my flat yesterday. I wasn't home, but my parents were. It went on for hours they said. No damage was done to the house, but it was intense. My parents armed themselves with clubs in case any terrorists tried to use our flat to hide.

quote:

A few days ago the terrorists killed a man for speaking out. All he said was that maybe they should negotiate to end the fighting. The terrorists said that they had to kill him to maintain stability.

quote:

I was walking from my flat to the bus stop the other day and I saw some dolls broken on the side of the road. I thought it was sad that even children's toys suffer during this war. Then, I got closer and I saw that they weren't dolls. They were the broken off hands from children. As I looked in horror, I saw more body parts. There were at least three children, broken and dead. What is it for? It's all pointless! I ran the rest of the way to the bus stop and cried the whole way to work.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

I believe you will find that it was perfectly legal under Putin Law.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

That's pretty horrible. Why won't the separatists let the civilians leave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

People are mocking you because you refuse to even entertain the idea that the situation in Ukraine is different from what you've learned about on Russia Today, Youtube, and these Donbass forums. You seem to believe that the entire rest of the world is out to conspire against the separatists who want to break away from their country and join Russia, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary. This is why people are scoffing at your photos and youtube videos.

Cotton Candidasis fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 7, 2014

• Locked thread