Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Problem description: Using Chrome: Randomly, the pop-up "The following plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash" will appear, in one of those yellow tabs Chrome uses to tell you something is wrong. This will happen despite reloading the pages (and it appears regardless of where I head to on the web, because everything uses Flash), despite the uninstall of the system's install of Flash (keeping only the Google Chrome install of it), and despite the steps detailed in Attempted Fixes. Occasionally, I'll get the "plug-in has crashed" message in a standard pop up, specifying either Shockwave Flash or Unknown.

Attempted fixes: Cleared cache and cookies and all other browsing data (multiple times), rebooted Chrome (multiple times), rebooted system (multiple times), completely uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome (multiple times). Posting via Internet Explorer 11, but that is not a long-term solution: I have many, many documents stored in Google Drive, which needs Chrome to access it reliably. Malware checks with MBAM Premium come back clean.

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64-bit

System specs: HP Pavilion G6-2235US notebook, model C2N50UA#ABA, cannot figure out how to retrieve other system specs.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Update to the latest video drivers from your video adapter manufacturer.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Got it. Now if only HP hadn't installed both an APU and a Radeon graphics card on this machine - I have no freaking clue which to update, and can't even *select* the 7520G through AMD's support thing.

(AMD A6-4400M APU, and a Radeon HD 7520G graphics card...)

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Spacewolf posted:

Got it. Now if only HP hadn't installed both an APU and a Radeon graphics card on this machine - I have no freaking clue which to update, and can't even *select* the 7520G through AMD's support thing.

(AMD A6-4400M APU, and a Radeon HD 7520G graphics card...)

Never mind, found it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The Radeon 7520G is the name for the graphics built into your APU. The latest Catalyst Mobility Beta drivers from the AMD website should be what you need.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Yeah. So far (and I emphasize 'so far') it seems to be working, but I'll give it 48-72 hours before I declare the issue solved. Thanks so far, though.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Update: It's baaack as of 5 minutes ago. No obvious cause. :(

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Does Firefox work?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
IE and Firefox work fine.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Try a new Chrome profile, uninstalling and reinstalling leaves the profile where most of the settings and data that can cause problems are.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Did that. Twice.

It lets up for a few hours, but then...it's baaaack.

By this point, the issue is making me whistle "The cat came back, the very next day..."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try installing Chrome to a new directory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I shall try that. Wrinkle I discovered today:

When Chrome is the first program that opens upon booting the system, it works fine so long as I keep it open (so far anyway). When it's not...The original post happens.

• Locked thread