Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what do I bring?
nothing
wine/beer
chocolates maybe?
goku
flowers???
condoms
View Results

• Locked thread
Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
This guy I work with invited me to dinner tonight with he and his wife + another couple, and I probably shouldn't go there emptyhanded

I barely know this guy because I just started working there a few weeks ago and I've only seen him 3 or 4 times. I've never met his wife (or maybe it's his girlfriend, I have no idea) or the other couple.

i've been told there's going to be plenty of steak and fish and vegetables and beer and wine and dessert and that I don't need to bring anything. so what should I bring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Wine. You can never have too much cause an unopened bottle can just be put away.

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

dead bishop

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Wine. You can never have too much cause an unopened bottle can just be put away.

what kind of wine should I bring? I don't know poo poo about wine, but this guy knows his poo poo

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Stevie Lee posted:

what kind of wine should I bring? I don't know poo poo about wine, but this guy knows his poo poo

Go into a wine shop, describe your problem, don't pay more than <x> amount of dollar if you feel like they're upselling you. Also even if you or the wine shop screws up he'd probably be too polite to tell you.

Also consider bringing tasteful flowers for the wife, like a Cuckblossom.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Being a 24 pack of coors light and don't share it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Randler posted:

Go into a wine shop, describe your problem, don't pay more than <x> amount of dollar if you feel like they're upselling you. Also even if you or the wine shop screws up he'd probably be too polite to tell you.

This. Also helps if you know what the meal is so you can match the wine to it.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
bring a hooker

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
You could be Mr. Cool and just bring flowers. If they have enough food and drink, flowers can be nicely appreciated, especially to the wife.

If this person is in any position of authority or influence over you in this new job, that could make a good impression.

Or their marriage sucks and he hates you makes it his mission to destroy you since his wife thinks you're hot poo poo now.

Basically do this.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

bring a container of soylent and refuse to eat any of the food

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

And cocaine.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

A party can never have enough goku.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
weed

lots and lots of weed

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

also i kinda feel bad for you OP. there are very few things so innocent as a dinner party that can end up being so awkward

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
Since they said they are good on food and drinks flowers seem pretty nice.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

also i kinda feel bad for you OP. there are very few things so innocent as a dinner party that can end up being so awkward

especially since I don't know any of them. and I'm a weirdo goon. also I think they're all at least ten years older than me.

I had a chance to back out this mornign and I didn't.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
bring some four Loko, so you can let him know that while you not only like to party, you are all about frugality and efficiency

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
are you bringing a wife or girlfriend

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
its a pretty good idea to bring wine then. it helps

also be prepared for a surprise orgy just in case

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Cool Blue Reason posted:

are you bringing a wife or girlfriend

lol what do you think

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

good god just bring a bottle of $10-12 red wine . drink with them and chat.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

also be prepared for a surprise orgy just in case

yeah, this happens more often than you'd expect op. it's considered polite to take the initiative

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

My sister is a teacher and one of her students gave her this for Christmas last year.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Three Olives posted:

My sister is a teacher and one of her students gave her this for Christmas last year.

he wants her V

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Three Olives posted:

isn't that stuff like $5 a bottle?

maybe I'll just bring some Carlo Rossi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2uNMDaRok4

also thanks for the 4 Loko idea I'm sure they'll like the grape

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
No need to bring anything; just be yourself. Duct tape your dick to your taint and wear that sexy little dress you're so fond of, op

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If someone brought Goku to my dinner party I'd probably invite them back.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 4, 2014

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Khorne posted:

If someone brought Goku to my dinner party I'd probably invite them back.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Stevie Lee posted:

isn't that stuff like $5 a bottle?

Yes around Christmas last year the Walmart by my house put a baby grand player piano in the front of the store and surrounded it with Andre for reasons I don't understand.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Go to like a local pastry shop and pick up a variety box.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
buy a big 5 gallon bag of wine take it out of the box and just stick in your pants and have a dixie cup in your hand.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Just bring something you feel comfortable bringing that you really enjoy. Cheese and crackers can be pretty ace if you are into cheeses. It also fits well in a casual environment where chips & dip would be appropriate, but it also fits well into a stuffier environment where that wouldn't be too appropriate.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Dont just stare at it. Eat it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sneak a framed dickpic onto the mantlepiece OP

they will appreciate it

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Bring a condom.

You never know.

LurkBot
Jan 4, 2007
Something has gone horribly wrong.
2-liter bottle of grain alcohol, stack of Amway brochures, and pictures of your cat.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

amityville anus posted:

bring a dead hooker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

bring a live hooker. then make her dead at the party

• Locked thread