Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

I'm laying here awake because I'm dreading tomorrow, because tomorrow at two, my twenty year-old cat has his final appointment with the vet.

I got him when I was still a kid and he was a kitten, him and his brother, and they were there through it all. All of the bad poo poo and good things that happened to me. All of the quiet nights of reading. All of the times I needed not to be alone. His brother passed nine years ago as of March, and he has held on tenaciously since then. Always affectionate, always having to be in the middle of the action, never willing to be ignored.

Of late, he has been on the decline. Some of y'all might remember a thread from a couple months back asking about using anesthetic to do a blood draw and whether it was the right call for such an elderly cat. Well, we opted not to do anything, mostly for fear that it would kill him, and now I find myself second-guessing my decisions. If we had done something might he be doing better?

His once-voracious appetite has diminished. His once-insatiable desire for affection has dwindled. Today he couldn't seem to settle down and rest for longer than fifteen minutes. He barely finished half a can of Newman's Own wet food and only drank the gravy from some Wellness packets. He didn't touch any of his food yesterday. He's barely drinking water. He's gotten so skinny. How the gently caress did he get so skinny, I've seen how much he eats until very recently.

I know this is the right choice, but it doesn't make it any easier. I'm not just saying goodbye to my dear old man of a cat, I'll be saying goodbye to the last vestige of my childhood that still exists.

By this time tomorrow, he'll be as cold as the clay that surrounds him, next to his brother in the grave.

Goodbye Einstein. Goodbye old man. I will miss you terribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trainrides
Jun 1, 2012

He's beautiful, honestly. I grew up around cats, and I never remember the loss of one hitting me significantly, but now that I'm older, loss is much harder for me to handle. If my cat died now I'm sure I'd be messed up. Don't worry about second-guessing your actions. You did the best you could based on the information you had.

Sorry about your friend.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

You're doing the right thing and you're going to be there with him until the end, which is the best anyone could hope for, really. You've just got to try to concentrate on how much better he's made your life overall instead of how much it hurts now to lose him. Condolences :(

Max Thunderstone
Jul 28, 2014

That's really sad :( As others have said it's the best thing for him. Condolences and I hope his last day is a good one.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

He's gone.

I don't know what else to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR

Must Love Dogs posted:

He's gone.

I don't know what else to say.

That's all that needs to be said.

His impact on life will always be felt in your family, especially yours.

• Locked thread