Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Third Option We need 30 destroyer+ships. Anything below destroyer does not count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Colonize Mercury and Venus first. No sense in leaving any potential footholds for the aliens in the inner system after we take Mars.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The Sandman posted:

Colonize Mercury and Venus first. No sense in leaving any potential footholds for the aliens in the inner system after we take Mars.

I think the way it works is the ships jump from the outside to the inside, and can't bypass a planet. So Mercury and Venus are safe as they'd need Earth to get to it. Even if Jupiter and Mercury are on the same side of the Sun with nothing in between them, it seems they cant' make that jump.

I'm going with Third Option though. It'd be foolish to rush an attack with as few ships as possible due to the possibility of the aliens having ships on their way to Mars. If we attack with, and lose nearly, everything we have only for the aliens to show up, what then? They take back Mars and Earth is completely undefended.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is there any advantage to launching a small attack to scout (i.e. do we gain anything game-mechanically)? If there is, then we should send a small force to probe the enemy defenses.

Otherwise, we must render righteous judgement against the imperialists! We have parried their blow, now it is time for the riposte!

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

TTBF posted:

I think the way it works is the ships jump from the outside to the inside, and can't bypass a planet. So Mercury and Venus are safe as they'd need Earth to get to it. Even if Jupiter and Mercury are on the same side of the Sun with nothing in between them, it seems they cant' make that jump.

I'm going with Third Option though. It'd be foolish to rush an attack with as few ships as possible due to the possibility of the aliens having ships on their way to Mars. If we attack with, and lose nearly, everything we have only for the aliens to show up, what then? They take back Mars and Earth is completely undefended.

The way Occipital worded and explained it, the aliens could totally jump from Jupiter to Earth, they don't because they don't have enough range right now, but assumedly they'll get the tech to do exactly that, so the Earth is not actually safe.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
WE MUST TAKE MARS, IN THE NAME OF THE MACHINE-GOD.

AND THEN TURN IT INTO A FORGE-WORLD.

AND THEN I SHALL ENTOMB REX MANSTRONG IN THE NOCTIS LABYRINTHIS, WHERE THE VOID DRAGON SHALL FEAST ON HIS SOUL.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Our own starbase uses beam weapons, yes? it is logical to assume, until we have further intelligence, to assume the aliens have armed their base similarly.

I am going to suggest the deployment of a squad (4) of heavily shielded destroyers (or possibly frigates) to take the lead and try to get the attention and absorb as much fire as possible.

Have we noticed any evidence of the aliens targetting the closest ship or something?

(I am out for the next few days, so I can't throw together a screen-ship)
Also, can we stack shields, or is it 1 shield per ship?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Take Mars ASAP, The Dragon can give us plenty of designs once we liberate him!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
We absolutely need to wait to build up our forces so we can have a defense fleet guarding Earth/the Moon and attacking Mars at once, just in case the aliens decide to send out an attack at the same time we do. Otherwise this LP is going to end very quickly.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
We should wait until we have a secure enough fleet to attack, don't want to burn even more time losing a fleet on a failed attack.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Send a single ship to die pointlessly scout out the enemy's forces.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Our own starbase uses beam weapons, yes? it is logical to assume, until we have further intelligence, to assume the aliens have armed their base similarly.

I am going to suggest the deployment of a squad (4) of heavily shielded destroyers (or possibly frigates) to take the lead and try to get the attention and absorb as much fire as possible.

Have we noticed any evidence of the aliens targetting the closest ship or something?

(I am out for the next few days, so I can't throw together a screen-ship)
Also, can we stack shields, or is it 1 shield per ship?

The aliens seem to prefer targeting the weakest ships, though those are usually the closest given the way our fleet composition works. Our shuttle destroyers are rarely targeted.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Send a single ship to die pointlessly scout out the enemy's forces.

I.. really should've mentioned this as an option. Light Cruisers can scout the enemy base and escape into warp before they even get fired at - we can't get a detailed picture of what's going on, but we can at least see what the enemy has. Of course, we'll lose a battle at an enemy planet by doing so - and that isn't great news for our funding.

VostokProgram posted:

Is there any advantage to launching a small attack to scout (i.e. do we gain anything game-mechanically)? If there is, then we should send a small force to probe the enemy defenses.

Otherwise, we must render righteous judgement against the imperialists! We have parried their blow, now it is time for the riposte!

We find out what sort of defenses they have.

- - - - -

After the quick reassembly of the fleet into a smaller unit, Vice Admiral Gato Matsumoto is sent with the majority of the Cosmonewts for a 'reconnaissance in force'. With the advances in warp technology, a trip from the Earth to Mars takes only eight hours. The first manned interplanetary flight is less a gruelling campaign and more of a very tense roadtrip.

Coming out of warp in extraordinarily high orbit, Admiral Matsumoto finds that floating nearby is a construction that looks eerily like Earth's Starbase. Remembering what happened to the last few alien fleets to assault Earth's Starbase, and knowing that alien beam technology still vastly outclasses our own, he orders an immediate retreat. As it happens, the aliens do not react in time; this is the first time Earth has revealed that it is in possession of warp technology.

Another hurried eight hours back to the Moon, and Admiral Matsumoto sends his report immediately upon return. While there is no fleet at Mars, there is certainly a Starbase. It seems as if it were modelled after the Earth version, as if the aliens had not understood the idea of orbital weaponry until seeing Earth put it into play - after which they replicated it admirably. While scientists wonder what this means about alien adaptability, an immediate report is made to the Council and Committee.

- - - - -

Starbases have 5000 HP and 7000 t worth of weaponry. Enemy ships have around ~2500 HP (for CLs) and ~1000 HP (for FFs), but realistically only have a few weapons. A Starbase will likely have around ninety five Medium Phase Rays. The Medium Phase Ray makes everything we have look like children's guns - the only reason we beat enemy phase-ray armed ships is because we tend to outnumber them eight or nine to one in weight of beam fire (once you include our defenses) and still generally finish off enemy fleets with missile fire.

I think the enemy cruisers tend to have 2 Medium Phase Rays and the enemy frigates have 1 - in terms of sheer firepower we're facing down an enemy with twenty times the power of any fleet that's been sent to Earth so far. Sure, it has around the same hit points as any fleet we've sent to Earth so far, but that means if we don't execute a quick takedown the losses will be pretty huge.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

occipitallobe posted:

I think the enemy cruisers tend to have 2 Medium Phase Rays and the enemy frigates have 1 - in terms of sheer firepower we're facing down an enemy with twenty times the power of any fleet that's been sent to Earth so far. Sure, it has around the same hit points as any fleet we've sent to Earth so far, but that means if we don't execute a quick takedown the losses will be pretty huge.

I definitely volunteer to lead the attack! Merciful, glorious, heroic death, I have found you and your name is Starbase! Alexander Tereshkova is coming for you, xenos, and I will either die a hero and find the embrace of eternity, or live on to seek it further in glory beyond anything that idiot Manstrong could claim!

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 7, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hah I knew it, I don't know if they've done this whole invasion of an inhabited starsystem before or not but they have definitely never fought another intelligent species with spacefaring capability. They put the Tesseractite on the moon because it was supposed to be safe, hell I bet their scouts surveyed this system while we were still poking each other full of holes with swords.

They're not stupid, they've just never fought anyone with enough of a technology base to actually fight back. This is hugely important information because if true it means we might actually stand a chance against the bugs.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
: A full starbase already? We should've pushed for cruisers first thing, damnit. Oh, well, nothing to do about it now. Listen to me though. If this goes balls-up not only are we not coming home, in all likelyhood it'll mean that soon enough there won't be a home to come back to. Wars are won and lost on momentum and if this fails there goes a gigantic amount of time and effort that we can't get back. It might not be a year, it might not be five, but there is every chance that this will lead to whoever gets left behind living on borrowed time.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Neruz posted:

Hah I knew it, I don't know if they've done this whole invasion of an inhabited starsystem before or not but they have definitely never fought another intelligent species with spacefaring capability. They put the Tesseractite on the moon because it was supposed to be safe, hell I bet their scouts surveyed this system while we were still poking each other full of holes with swords.

They're not stupid, they've just never fought anyone with enough of a technology base to actually fight back. This is hugely important information because if true it means we might actually stand a chance against the bugs.

Which leads me to believe that we are at a point where we need to act swiftly. Now that they know we have warp technology, they will not remain complacent. We need to take advantage of their unpreparedness to take Mars, and possibly go further, so that we have defense-in-depth for when they inevitably respond.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

VostokProgram posted:

Which leads me to believe that we are at a point where we need to act swiftly. Now that they know we have warp technology, they will not remain complacent. We need to take advantage of their unpreparedness to take Mars, and possibly go further, so that we have defense-in-depth for when they inevitably respond.

It is too late for swiftness, that starbase will annihilate anything we put anywhere near it. But unfortunately we appear to be demonstrating the primary failing of democracy right here and are going to go get ourselves killed anyway.

There may have been an opportunity for swiftness if we had managed to keep a hold of that Light Cruiser we captured instead of blowing it up but the aliens superior tech base and scientific knowledge suggests that any window for swiftness would be extremely brief as they appear to learn very quickly and have some way to send information back to their commanders even if every ship is destroyed.

Instead I think we are simply going to have to try and stay one step ahead of the aliens, we've clearly put more thought into space combat than they have so we should be able to stay ahead of the game tactically while we try and catch up strategically.

Our primary focus should be working out these alien technologies; we're going to have a hell of a time defeating enemies with antimatter power sources while using mere fission and fusion for power ourselves. When you have an entire order of magnitude more energy available to throw at your enemies you don't need to be smart about how you do it.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 7, 2014

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Can any ship be loaded into a Light Cruiser? Could we, theoretically, fill one of our transports with a suicideFREEDOM fleet of corvettes and fighters and frigates and everything else we have that can hold a missile, and just overwhelm the starbases point defenses?

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Can any ship be loaded into a Light Cruiser? Could we, theoretically, fill one of our transports with a suicideFREEDOM fleet of corvettes and fighters and frigates and everything else we have that can hold a missile, and just overwhelm the starbases point defenses?

I actually thought the same way my first game.

Unfortunately, corvettes and fighters are wholly obsolete at this point. They're not designed to spend more than a few hours in space, and they lack the drives necessary to move about on the macro-scale (I'm pretty sure that the warp drive just reduces the effective distance you need to go, you still need to fly to wherever you're going). The only reason I haven't scrapped them all is because it costs me nothing to leave them up and it takes effort to scrap them. If corvettes could be moved from planet to planet I think they'd be so powerful early and midgame (maybe even lategame, though I wouldn't bet on it) they'd eclipse every other combat ship type - one-twentieth the cost of a frigate and one-half the missile weight.

As for transportation - Light Cruisers transport things in their 'warp wake', a region of space in which other ships with engines can enjoy the same low transportation cost as the Light Cruiser. They don't actually provide the engine power.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Guys, cruisers blow as dedicated fighters. Get enough to carry the fleet, the rest should be tanky destroyers. The starbase'll likely hit us before we get a turn to act, and it can probably wipe out two dozen ships a turn.

Starbases and defensive platforms have a lot more fire power than they do defense, but they're still beefy as hell right now.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Neruz posted:

It is too late for swiftness, that starbase will annihilate anything we put anywhere near it. But unfortunately we appear to be demonstrating the primary failing of democracy right here and are going to go get ourselves killed anyway.

There may have been an opportunity for swiftness if we had managed to keep a hold of that Light Cruiser we captured instead of blowing it up but the aliens superior tech base and scientific knowledge suggests that any window for swiftness would be extremely brief as they appear to learn very quickly and have some way to send information back to their commanders even if every ship is destroyed.

Instead I think we are simply going to have to try and stay one step ahead of the aliens, we've clearly put more thought into space combat than they have so we should be able to stay ahead of the game tactically while we try and catch up strategically.

Our primary focus should be working out these alien technologies; we're going to have a hell of a time defeating enemies with antimatter power sources while using mere fission and fusion for power ourselves. When you have an entire order of magnitude more energy available to throw at your enemies you don't need to be smart about how you do it.

Pladdicus posted:

Guys, cruisers blow as dedicated fighters. Get enough to carry the fleet, the rest should be tanky destroyers. The starbase'll likely hit us before we get a turn to act, and it can probably wipe out two dozen ships a turn.

Starbases and defensive platforms have a lot more fire power than they do defense, but they're still beefy as hell right now.

You two have convinced me that attacking Mars now is a bad idea, but is there any guarantee that attacking it later won't be a worse idea? Now that the starbase is there, it's there to stay, and the imperialists will definitely reinforce it with more ships. Will there ever be a point in time where we will not take horrendous losses on the attack?

VostokProgram posted:

Still, I change my vote to render righteous judgement against the imperialists, but only when the Council orders it.

Teriferin
Oct 30, 2012
I too am weighing in on the side of caution. While I am ready and willing to give my life for Earth, doing so in a suicidal attack is a bad idea. Let's hold off on an assault on Mars until absolutely necessary.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Is it possible to board the alien starbase and capture it? Because if so wouldn't that be an amazing coup for humanity, even if the starbase gets downgraded to our tech level it's a huge saving in production costs and makes mars immediately defensible. If it's possible is this viable?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

We should wait until we have a secure enough fleet to attack, don't want to burn even more time losing a fleet on a failed attack.

Voting this

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

You two have convinced me that attacking Mars now is a bad idea, but is there any guarantee that attacking it later won't be a worse idea? Now that the starbase is there, it's there to stay, and the imperialists will definitely reinforce it with more ships. Will there ever be a point in time where we will not take horrendous losses on the attack?

Still, I change my vote to render righteous judgement against the imperialists, but only when the Council orders it.

The aliens don't think that we're a threat to it (because we're not) time is our advantage, and any unprepared attack will just leave use rebuilding even longer, wasting more time, causing the council to lose faith. This is the first real fight for humanity and we need to do it properly.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Can't we just launch asteroids on their bases?

Also let's colonize the parts that the aliens can't reach, this cannot possibly backfire.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
: Given the whole "starbase" thing. I think we'd better get a lot more firepower up here before we take the fight to the enemy. Changing my vote to delay the attack

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Seconded.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I vote for DEATH! But at a later date!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ratoslov posted:

I vote for DEATH! But at a later date!

Damnit. While I burn with a desire for heroic fate, if I simply wished to die pointlessly, I'd shoot Manstrong, then charge the security forces. Yes, We should wait until our deaths will achieve something

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
I have an unusual question...can you board a starbase

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I didn't sign up just to die instantly! (Actually, I kinda did, but that's not the point!)

Let's wait so we're not immediately destroyed

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So how does it judge weakness? Amount of weapons or hp or? Regardless, it looks like an attack at the moment would be suicide.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mars asap! We can hardly clog their guns with our corpses if we do not rush headlong into them!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goon Control to Zapp Brannigan, come in, over. :smith:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I liked this LP.

I mean, I still do, but.... yeah... :smith:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
They're all dead dave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Man I just found this and its already dead? I wanted to create Madknight Pash, Captain of a close range ship that volunteers to be the first ship in the assault on Mars... if that ever happens.

• Locked thread