Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Comrades, I propose that we focus 70% of our capabilities on research,
20% on industry and
10% on recruitment and the like.

What precisely to research I will let you all decide. Hail the Order and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

As an update, I just found out Lieutenants and up can captain corvettes, and anyone can captain a fighter (which makes sense). I guess I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to fighter and corvette crew assignments starting out given how quickly those vessels become obsolete (and how easily they die). I won't be bothering too much when it comes to giving out ship assignments early on, though - you'll get autoassigned to a ship with everyone else until we develop frigates. (with the exception of requested moves)

inflatablefish posted:

Wow, so everyone ends up turning down their promotions, just like in Star Trek!

If we have space for another goon commander, I think it's high time we deployed the unique talents of Arnold J Rimmer.

Without him, this war would be much grimmer.

Lieutenant Commander Arnold J Rimmer has been inducted into the Navy!

Incidentally, early on in the game things can be weirdly assigned. Lt. Cmdr Rimmer is in charge of a Missile Frigate, but his navigation officer is in fact a regular Commander. I couldn't personally assign this, but because crew are autoassigned when starting a new game I guess it doesn't check for ranks at that time. He has been promoted to Commander in recognition of this fact.

Delta Green posted:

This council had the golden opportunity to name itself the Global Defence Initiative. Why wasn't it so?

Captain Zapp Brannigan, sir, is the finest admiral in the Democratic Order of Planets! Unfortunately it's just the one planet, now, Earth. So it's the Democratic Order of Planet Earth!

quote:

Officer Delta Green reporting for duty. Preference for West European origin is noted.

Delta Green is the commander of one of the ships from the southern hemisphere battle in First Light. Having survived multiple attacks on his ship and having managed to keep his gun corvette intact until the battle ended and he could be rescued means that the Logistical Advisory Committee looks to him to consult on the durability of ships and their escape pods and such.

You lucked out here. Survivor is an amazing trait (50% of rescue instead of death when ship is destroyed, normally I think it relies on the ratio of ships destroyed/survived and the length of the battle) and you have the equal best leadership in the entire fleet along with Rex Armstrong. (who is way, way more likely to die).

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 6, 2014

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Officer Flex Plexico, of America, bringing freedom to aliens.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Theantero posted:

I believe that our burgeoning space navy direly needs the expertise of Seppo Saapasmaa, a Finnish expat who bravely served in his fatherlands mighty fleet of cold war era minesweepers in his youth.

It took me a little while but I found you someone with naval experience. Seppo Saapasmaa who served in the mighty Australian Navy during the Cold War. Those days when the mighty Australian and Nigerian fleets faced off in the intercontinental (Crack Open A) Cold (One) War was a time to behold indeed.

(If you want there's also a Spanish sub-lieutenant and a Japanese ensign with naval experience)

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Morrow posted:

Officer Flex Plexico, of America, bringing freedom to aliens.

Congratulations! You scored the last (and also second) American officer in the entire fleet. There are something like sixty officers, of which around ten are Australian, eight or nine are Canadian, six or seven are Bangladeshi or Pakistani, and a fairly even split among most other nations.

We're more likely to get fleet officers from nations who are on the council though, so our weird little Commonwealth of Nations fleet is not long for the world.

Flex Plexico, living embodiment of Freedom! On the Committee because people seem to really like him. What a swell guy.

(You get a nickname to make it easier for me to pick out goons from lower-ranked officers.)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

occipitallobe posted:

You lucked out here. Survivor is an amazing trait (50% of rescue instead of death when ship is destroyed, normally I think it relies on the ratio of ships destroyed/survived and the length of the battle) and you have the equal best leadership in the entire fleet along with Rex Armstrong. (who is way, way more likely to die).

I am well aware that what looks like a self-serving order that I take our best ship is in fact a deathtrap, because I will be right in front when the space-nukes start flying. But Commander Rex Manstrong never backs down from danger, he's the hero that we don't deserve!

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Proposed Construction for the Month and Preliminary Budget

At present, the Council has ordered that the entire month's production be given over to the construction of Missile Corvettes. Each corvette costs two hundred and eighty six hammers. Present allocations are looking like approximately thirty percent of the Council's budget will be allocated to construction, so we can construct one corvette every one day and twenty-two hours. As such, we're likely to produce sixteen Missile Corvettes in the upcoming month. If the Council feels this is not enough we can allocate more resources to production (it should be fine, though).

The Council has hammered out a new design of missile corvette. The previous corvette has slightly more engine power, carried one less nuclear missile, and had a fusion gun. Given the extreme effectiveness of our missiles against the aliens, the Council has mandated that the new design carry an addition nuclear missile to avoid the fleet running out of ammunition during battle.

The captaincy of the first of these new (and ever-so-slightly improved) corvettes will be given over to Rex Manstrong

In addition, people seem to be interested in developing warp technology and larger ships.

Here are the requirements for various technologies further along the tech tree.

The development of Frigate Hulls requires
tree.

The development of Warp Theory requires...

Once we get Computers Mk 2 and Warp Theory we will be able to turn this into the Mk 1 Warp Drive. However, no ship smaller than a Light Cruiser can be fitted with a warp drive, so even if we develop the engine we need to be able to engineer a ship large enough to use it by reseaching Cruiser Hulls.

The development of Cruiser Hulls requires

Also, if a tech requires "Event: Global Participation", don't worry. That should trigger in a couple of game days.

The ability to Construct Outposts requires

Note that under no circumstances should we construct outposts on the Moon before we have a fleet of Frigates or Destroyers capable to defend it. We'll just lose the moon and get embarrassed.

Lastly, right now it looks like our research priorities are Alien Ship Analysis followed by Fleet Reorganization, Shielded Exhaust Ports and Closed Environmental Systems. That takes around 24 days, so the Council has decided to add Space-based Construction once it has sunk in to the people of the world that a truly global effort is needed.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 6, 2014

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Officer Max Kreigflegel reporting for duty, preferably from America or Germany if possible. it should be noted he has little desire for a fleet command position at this time.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Officer Friar John reporting from duty!

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
Suggesting Hugh Mann for officer. Since the Logistical Advisory Committee is probably more intelligent than Brannigan and can see through the terrible disguise he/she/it shouldn't make it past captain or commodore if they have particularly high leadership.

8_Escape fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 6, 2014

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Officer Fidelio Truffleborough III Esq. is ready to die in a heroic blaze of glory or at least choke to death in the cold lonely void of space. Preferably a ship command or some role to take him into the thick of battle.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

occipitallobe posted:

Delta Green is the commander of one of the ships from the southern hemisphere battle in First Light. Having survived multiple attacks on his ship and having managed to keep his gun corvette intact until the battle ended and he could be rescued means that the Logistical Advisory Committee looks to him to consult on the durability of ships and their escape pods and such.

Awesome. I will survive and lead our ships and fleets to victory in the great tradition of the Royal Navy!

That said, you have no idea how uncomfortable a Corvette is when there's three plasma burn holes in it. We barely managed to maintain less than atmospheric pressure by shoving destroyed consoles and chairs in the damned holes.

Thank God for the person who thought to include oxygen masks in every seat.

NewMars posted:

I am well aware that what looks like a self-serving order that I take our best ship is in fact a deathtrap, because I will be right in front when the space-nukes start flying. But Commander Rex Manstrong never backs down from danger, he's the hero that we don't deserve!

Don't worry, Rex. I, Delta Green, will carry on the struggle if, by a terrible fate, you fall.

I'm certain we'll both live through this and become Super Officers, though.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Canadian officer Harold Green reporting for duty!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

New Zealand officer Andrew Cheese reporting in!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

occipitallobe posted:

Lastly, right now it looks like our research priorities are Alien Ship Analysis followed by Fleet Reorganization, Shielded Exhaust Ports and Closed Environmental Systems. That takes around 24 days, so the Council has decided to add Space-based Construction once it has sunk in to the people of the world that a truly global effort is needed.

Sounds like an entirely reasonable plan.

Goons, what is WRONG with you?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

You have to ask?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

too busy waiting for my mail-order commission to screw things up just yet

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Haven't you heard? The Supreme Admiral is a complete incompetent in logistics (and pretty much everything that isn't "win battles"). We have to pull double shifts if we want to SURVIVE the coming months, much less thrive.

To quote the delightful folks at NASA "Failure is not an option."

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

March 1 to March 15, 2016

Firstly, whenever new ships are built they go under the command of Zapp Brannigan. Zapp is tactically capable enough to command 45 corvettes. Our Admirals Senrath Menru and Ly Neth can respectively command 0.3 and 0.4 corvettes each, or slightly less than one fighter (which counts as 0.5 corvettes). Seriously, you guys are the worst admirals. (Though part of that is your low rank - once you get promoted to Vice Admiral you'll be able to command a fair bit more).

The first Missile Corvette Mk II is built, and put under the command of Rex Manstrong. He is given a few ensigns to train up - one of the better tacticians in the fleet (to ensure his missiles fly fast and true) and one of the worst navigators (nobody really cares if the missile ships in the back lines are fast).

A few days into the month, the Council works on a vast information project "The Order and You", containing such information videos as "The Battle of First Light", websites "TheAlienThreat.gov", and pamphlets such as "Humanity Stands Together!". Released simultaneously across the world in hundreds of languages, this multibillion dollar undertaking serves to let every single person know what is happening and they all humanity must work together if we are to survive.

The United Kingdom, somewhat embarrassed by the huge number of Commonwealth officers from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Australia and Canada releases a force of its finest officers along with a public information campaign in Great Britain.

Six days gives us a preliminary analysis of the alien ships. At least how they function on the face of things. We still have no idea how they actually work.

In tandem, the Council has been working with the Logistical Affairs Committee to draw up an entirely new fleet organizational system. National systems need to be integrated so that all humanity can serve in one fleet. In reality these ideas have been working through the members of the former conspiracy for some time - the Council is merely trying to formalize them.

To explain each choice in detail:

The United Kingdom is pushing the Officer Focus, stating that we can only win the way through superior strategy. In the long term, this would make our officers more competent and, due to additional training, would have to spend less time in each grade. With projected casualty rates in battle though, we would not see many significant gains from this policy until we likely develop our own shielding technology. (Officer Focus is nice over time, I'd say it adds up to be one of the most potent bonuses in the end. However, it's a slow accumulative policy that does virtually nothing early on.)

(An Officer Focus fleet usually likes to have fewer ships with the absolute best officers available on them.)

China is pushing the Crew Focus, stating that while officers are all well and good, having men and women trained to use our ships well is the most important thing. In reality, this would see a small bonus to all of our officers (the advantage here is that'd we'd see the advantage early, as crew act as a multiplier on officers with low skill, but it'd be pretty worthless late, as crew are cheap to come by and don't do much for really good officers. It is a nice bonus to have when you're trying to capture aliens, though.).

(A Crew Focus fleet is really just an all-round early bonus coupled with an advantage in boarding.)

Japan is pushing the Technology Focus. In short, we must catch up to the aliens as quickly as possible - only technology can give us parity in the war to come. This would serve as a solid advantage all game until we are able to research most derivatives of alien technology (once we hit the top of the tech tree, and we have to hit the top of the tech tree to finish the game, this is useless. It's fairly potent early-and-mid game, though, which are probably the most difficult parts of the game.)

(A Technology Focus fleet can be hard to run - we'll have a lot of strategic options, though.)

Germany is pushing the Engineering Focus. Spend money to make money, in short. We need to regear Earth's industry to be more efficient at producing ships, as well as orbital industry. Our missiles, it is proven, can take enemy ships down. Rather than move forward into technologies we barely understand, we should work on ensuring we have the largest fleet possible. (This isn't actually as bad as it seems - each planet you build outposts on gets its own engineering budget, and consequently can be built up faster. Our industry budget is Earth's industry budget, so the engineering focus will impact any outposts we build. Later on when these outposts become larger, having a 20% discount on the ships we build from them will be pretty good)

(An Engineering Focus fleet will be big. The polar opposite of the Officer Focus - build a lot of cheaper ships and throw them into battle in order to grind down the enemy)

Finally, the United States is pushing the Logistics Focus. In order to defeat this threat, we are going to need to occupy the entire Solar System. When the aliens warped in the first time, astronomical data from the Hubble Space Telescope tells us that they first "warped" from Uranus to Saturn, from Saturn to Jupiter, and from Jupiter to Mars and from there to Earth. There is no reason for the aliens to have done so unless they must leapfrog from planet to planet. As such, holding Jupiter or Mars seems like it might well be a defensive strategy for Earth. Since we need to occupy these planets, building logistical chains that make them cheaper and easier to occupy will be a major concern.

The logistics focus is pretty good. It's cumulative with upkeep-reducing buildings, of which I'm pretty sure you can only build one that gives a 20% reduction and upgrade it into one that gives us a 35% reduction.

A single fully-upgraded colony with a manufacturing plant and star fortress (the best defensive building) will have a base upkeep of 258 hammers per day. It'll have a base production of 156 hammers per day. A 35% reduction from the best building will make it cost a total of 167 hammers a day. With the logistics focus that comes down to 129 hammers per day. The logistics focus is the only way to make a well-fortified colony profitable, so to speak (or have it cost earth less hammers than it can produce). If we don't take it, it does make for more interesting (but also harder) strategic choices as to what we build, where, and why.

(A Logistics Focus fleet is interesting - we have a smaller, less advanced fleet with average officers but in return get better-fortified positions with more output in the long haul. Logistics Focus fleets prefer to fight on their own well-fortified ground whenever possible and make small but calculated advances.)

Normally I'd play longer, but this is one of the big decisions that impacts the entire game from here on in. There are a few of these, and I'll stop the game and take a vote each time

The Logistical Advisory Committee is formally requested to come to a decision about this matter. What will our primary doctrine be?

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 7, 2014

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Rear Admiral Senrath Menru votes for Officer Focus in the hopes that he will one day be able to lead his way out of a paper bag. He also politely requests that a correction to the previous report be issued, as his name was misspelled.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Commander Rex Manstrong cannot resist the call of self-sufficient colonies in space. Logistics focus!

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

warhammer651 posted:

Officer Max Kreigflegel reporting for duty, preferably from America or Germany if possible. it should be noted he has little desire for a fleet command position at this time.

Lieutenant Commander Max Kreigflegel, an officer on a corvette during the Battle of First Light. Has a strange love for American beer and is consequently often shunned by other Germans.

Friar John posted:

Officer Friar John reporting from duty!

Lieutenant Commander Friar John, recently commanding the Papal Division of the United Kingdom's Navy. So ruthless he was known to make men go to church twice a week.

8_Escape posted:

Suggesting Hugh Mann for officer. Since the Logistical Advisory Committee is probably more intelligent than Brannigan and can see through the terrible disguise he/she/it shouldn't make it past captain or commodore if they have particularly high leadership.

: Ah, Hugh Mann. Now there's a name I can trust. You're on the Logistical Advisory Committee, starting now!

UrbicaMortis posted:

Officer Fidelio Truffleborough III Esq. is ready to die in a heroic blaze of glory or at least choke to death in the cold lonely void of space. Preferably a ship command or some role to take him into the thick of battle.

Ah, yes. Lieutenant Commander Fidelio Truffleborough III. One of the many British aristocrats who moved to Brazil after the Mustache Tax Incentives Act of 2009.

Anticheese posted:

New Zealand officer Andrew Cheese reporting in!

Lieutentant Commander Andrew Cheese, from the New Zealand-Mexican Imperial Union.

VolticSurge posted:

Canadian officer Harold Green reporting for duty!

Last but not least, Lieutenant Harold Green, who has recently separated from his wife Ruth. Sad.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Commodore Gunn votes for Logistics Focus. We will be everywhere, and we will be unbreakable.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Logistics Focus. Sounds interesting.

Preid
May 22, 2014
Seems like Logistics Focus is a good choice to make the game easier on you.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

As Napoleon said - Generals focused on winning a battle talk about tactics
Ones focused on winning a WAR focus on Logistics

This game tempts me so very much.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
As a born pen-pusher, Arnold Rimmer is going to have to insist that our new space corps directs its focus onto Logistics.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I'm tempted towards technology, but what with our missiles blowing them out of the sky it can't be that bad, even if they send increasingly stronger waves against us.

Logistics it is.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

While I'm waiting for the votes to trickle in, let's talk a bit about Colonies, since we seem to be focused on the logistics path right now.

Colonies are crucial to gathering resources, producing ships en masse, and keeping the aliens away from our precious interstellar drug trade. Colonies cost Earth upkeep, but have their own pools of industry they can use to mine resources, build infrastructure, and eventually construct ships. A colony-based Earth has the advantage that it has greater production, but is disadvantaged in that in return for more production it's massively parallel - ten colonies all producing at one-fifth the speed of Earth (with Earth's industry going to research, recruitment, and upkeep) will give you a fleet that's twice as large but very little room to produce emergency ships if needed. In return, though, you have more strategic depth to balance that out.

The first building to establish a presence on another world is always the Outpost. It produces 12 hammers and costs 14 - if we have a logistics focus it will only cost 11.9 hammers a day, making it profitable from Day 1. It also has a rudimentary sensor network.

Once an Outpost is established on a planet, it opens up the path to some other buildings - the Barracks, Defensive Battery, Hydroponic Farm, Listening Post, Orbital Hydrogen Extractor, Resupply Base, Resource Extractor, and the upgrade to the Outpost, the Settlement.

The Barracks is an interesting building. It's very cheap, but does nothing the Settlement doesn't do. It's only really useful if you're only planning to establish an Outpost, or if you need somewhere to keep crew morale up while you build a new Settlement far away from your outermost colony. It lets your ships regenerate crew (and new ships gain crew) from the global crew pool, and stops morale going to poo poo.

The Defensive Battery is basically crucial for every single colony you get. It's cheap, and carries as many beam weapons as a Heavy Cruiser does. It's usually enough to stop any probing attack dead in its tracks, though not necessarily. They're quite vulnerable to missiles.

The Hydroponic Farm is fantastic. However, it requires that world possess both Hydrogen and Oxygen to build. Out of all the inner worlds that aren't Earth this is solely Mars. On the other hand, every single moon in the game apart from Io and Luna (4 moons of Jupiter, 2 of Saturn, 2 of Uranus, 1 of Neptune, and both Pluto and its moon) contain both Hydrogen and Oxygen. So the power spike of the Logistics path really comes once you start taking control of the gas giants and their moons.

The Listening Post makes it easier for a planet to detect incoming ships. Note that you don't need a whole bunch of Listening Posts next to each other - having Listening Posts on Earth and the Moon is redundant. I think they have trouble detecting things through things they orbit (moons through planets, planets through the Sun) but I'm not entirely sure. As a general rule you want one in every 'region' of space - two or three in the inner system early, one for each gas giant (and Pluto!) later on.

The Orbital Hydrogen Extractor can only be constructed on gas giants. I suspect Hydrogen was intended to be implemented as fuel for fusion drives but never really got implemented. It's worth colonizing gas giants though as a consequence - with the extractor they use virtually no upkeep.

The Resupply Base increases Resupply speed. I think this is a number that resupplies a certain number of missiles per day, as well as resupplying fuel and food. However without a resupply base you're not going to be able to go anywhere once you're out of supply. It also unlocks the Repair Dock.

If you've only got an Outpost, the Repair Dock is the only repair option around. You're often better off just returning to another shipyard and getting repairs though, if it's not too far away.

The Resource Extractor increases the amount of resources we can pry out of the ground. I'm pretty sure it works like a multiplier - each planet or moons gives X resources multipled by the Resource Gains stat - so with only a Resource Extractor we get 15% of what a planet can offer.

The Settlement essentially works as a bargain-basement scanner, resupply, and a full-price barracks. In addition it gives 42.00 hammers but costs 52.00 hammers. Even with our inital bonus this is a bad deal. You can't build Settlements on gas giants - so you should only ever build them where there's Hydrogen and Oxygen to defray the ongoing costs of maintaining the settlement.

After building all these, we get access to some more buildings. The Agricultural Compound, the Starbase (which in turn unlocks the Battlestation), the Long-Range Scanner Array (which unlocks the Gravitic Scanner Array, the Refinery Complex, the Shipyard, and the top-tier production building, the Colony.

The Agricultural Compound is fantastic. It reduces upkeep by 35%. In addition to a logistics focus that's a net 50% reduction in upkeep! Without it it's simply not worth building large colonies.

The Starbase is the first real defensive building we get ahold of. With almost five times the firepower and one-and-a-half times the HP of the Defensive Battery, it can devastate early game fleets with relative ease. Like the Defensive Battery, however, it is vulnerable to missiles, and requires screening ships to stay alive through fiercer assaults.

The Battlestation is the first upgrade to the Starbase. Five times the HP, almost twice the weaponry - an inverse upgrade to the Defensive Battery - Starbase one. Battlestations are ridiculously powerful for most of the game and should always be constructed wherever you are vulnerable.

The Long-Range Scanner Array is an upgrade to the listening post. Almost twice as good, twice the cost. Worth having, though.

The Gravitic Scanner Array is fantastic. Having these lets you really look at what the enemy is doing in detail. One of these should be constructed in every region.

The Refinery Complex is excellent for any world that has resources you're liable to be short of.

The Shipyard is key for any world that constructs ships. If a world doesn't have one their ship production rate is crippled for anything Frigate and up. It's also great for repairing ships.

The Colony is the top-tier colonial building. The ratio of upkeep/production is the worst of any of the three buildings, but your Agricultural Complex should take care of that.

After building the Colony, you only unlock two new buildings. The Manufacturing Plant and the Star Fortress.

The Manufacturing Plant is more efficient at producing hammers than the Settlement, and gives the Colony + Manufacturing Plant planet a ratio of 1.26 hammers consumed for everyone one produced. With the -35% from the Agricultural Compound and the -15% from the specialty, though, this becomes 0.63 hammers consumed for every one produced. More importantly, the Manufacturing Plant + Colony produces around 150 hammers, which is quite a lot.

The Star Fortress is a planet's way of telling you to go gently caress yourself. Or your way of telling the aliens to go gently caress themselves. Either-or.

Finally we have the Orbital Detection Net. It can be built only on Earth and should be to improve early detection. Once you get better detection networks you might as well just scrap the whole thing.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 24, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Metagamey though it may be, an Officer Focus would allow us to have some rather interesting heroic exploits, I suspect, as well as potentially some rather fun ship stories.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The supply chain of cheap spirits and moose meat must never be compromised! Saapasmaa votes for Logistics.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So as you push to Jupiter+Saturn, can you afford to downgrade defenses on the inner worlds? or is that too spoiler-y for later in the game?

Or are you always Vulnerable everywhere?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Bah, all of these people focusing on Logistics. Why bother when we only have one planet, and beyond that the benefit of internal supply lines. no this shall be an age of heroes and grand exploits. It follows that we should have a strong Officer Focus

warhammer651 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 7, 2014

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I'm all for Officer Focus. Let's really invest in our goony officers so that when they inevitably incinerated it is all the more crushing.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

So as you push to Jupiter+Saturn, can you afford to downgrade defenses on the inner worlds? or is that too spoiler-y for later in the game?

Or are you always Vulnerable everywhere?

Usually. Vulnerability kinda changes based on how much supplies a fleet has and where the planets are in relation to each other. For instance, if Jupiter is between Earth and Saturn and the aliens are launching their fleets from Saturn, you're safe to leave almost all of your fleets at Saturn - you can get back to the inner worlds before they can and so you're ok. Conversely if Jupiter and Saturn are at opposite ends of the solar system, you probably want to dispatch a few more fleets to the inner worlds.

The aliens research technology and increase ship sizes as the game goes on - as you push out through the solar system their ability to hit back increases. It really depends on whether you're behind or ahead of where you 'should' be in the campaign. A small advantage can be turned into a large one through consistent work, but a small disadvantage early game really mounts up.

The aliens like to hit you at the worlds closest to them, though. In one game we fought a long battle for Jupiter and they dispatched a large fleet to Mars in the meantime - my main fleet didn't arrive in time and they destroyed my Martian colony. That was fairly unusual behaviour, usually they'll just hit wherever's closest to them. As their tech advances they can hit the inner worlds if you don't expand against them enough.

They could also theoretically use modules that expand range to be able to hit the inner worlds whenever they want, but I've never seen them do this.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 7, 2014

pocketwatch
Apr 26, 2008
I like the sound of logistics focus. Let's build lots of stuff with the extra hammers and then watch it get destroyed by lousy officers.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
America! Logistics! Freedom! Yeah! America! Paperwork! Yeah! Bureaucracy! America! Hoo-ah!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Wars are won with Logistics. Armies march on their stomach. Artillery fires not without supplies. Ships do not travel without fuel. The choice is obvious.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
As a logistical focused officer, I have no choice but to vote Logistics as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
As a British officer, I must support the Officers centred organization. After all, the Royal Navy was the finest in the world and its officers had no equals.

More so, the better trained and invested in we are, the less likely our commander is to throw us into a meat grinder.

• Locked thread