Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Anyone tried Empyrion Galactic Survival? I've seen videos that look pretty good, but I've been burned by early access before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Walton Simons posted:

There are so many early access survival games I have on my wishlist as 'please don't be poo poo' and Empyrion is really high up, could be incredible. NEO Scavenger turned out well so I'm 1 for 1.

Also, Minecraft isn't in the OP as 'everyone knows about it' but I only know that it's a block-building game that's like crack for kids. Is there actually interesting stuff to do?

It depends on if you include mods. Vanilla minecraft has survival, but it's really basic beyond creating a source of food and shelter from enemies; maybe 20 minutes or so and an experienced player will have their survival needs met for the rest of the game. Then it's all about mining and megaconstructions.

There are mods for practically everything under the sun, though. I'm currently playing one called Blightfall where the entire world has been covered in evil purple spreading goo and you try to survive while terraforming it back.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Anyone try Savage Lands? It's Early Access, but it's cheap and they make a good looking trailer.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I played the demo and wasn't very impressed.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I see Subnautica is on sale; last I remember hearing about it was that it was a promising game but still incomplete. Has that changed?

Also, how deep are the survival aspects?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hooboy. Phobias are really dumb, especially when it's a video game. I don't like water that I can't see the bottom of. Won't stop me from trying!

Did you know Subnautica was one of the first survival games to add virtual reality support? :unsmigghh:

(I've heard it's loving terrifying)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

We do have a Subnautica thread, by the way.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I actually really liked Tharsis, but in the spirit of full disclosure a lot of people seemed to think it was pretty meh. It plays very much like a board game; you're on a spaceship with, oh, 6-7 rooms and have a crew to move around and do things. Every round you get 1-3 disasters, and have to move crew to them and roll dice to do things. If you don't fix a disaster, it applies a penalty and continues on to the next round.

So, let's say your round starts and you have a water leak in the hydroponics bay. The leak might be, say, Repair 9 and the effect -1 food. You move a mechanic there who rolls 4 dice. You can keep any number of those dice and reroll the rest again (once, except for one crew who gets extra rerolls). You can assign any dice that total at least 9 to fix the leak, but since you're in the hydroponics bay it might have a special that you can assign any two matching dice to gain 1 food, and since the crewman is a mechanic he would have a special that he can use a 5 or 6 die to repair 1 hull damage, etc. If he were a doctor, he might have an option to restore the health of a nearby crewman, etc.

So basically a combination of survival game, FTL, and Yahtzee. I had a lot of fun with it.

Space Engineers is also really good, as a sort of minecraft in space for people who think minecraft is too simple. The engineers part is relevant; if you want a ship that can stop without turning around, you have to put an engine on the front as well as the back, etc. Strafing means engines on the sides, and if you want your mining drills to transfer to the cargo bay you actually need to build a duct between them, that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Has anyone tried Empyrion: Galactic Survival for any significant chunk of time? Looks really interesting, great reviews on Steam, but even at 50% off it's riiight at that point where I'm wary about plunking down for it. Comparisons to Space Engineers / StarMade would be especially useful.

There's actually a big thread on the multiplayer, unless someone made a really similar sounding game called Empyrion Online. I haven't read the whole thing but the popularity of the thread bodes well for it.

quote:

(Also holy geeze, why are survival games sprouting up like weeds? Like obviously Minecraft was the grandaddy, but did I miss a generation 2-3 years ago where there were some really hugely successful ones to inspire all these wannabes?)

Yes. For awhile the running joke was that 95% of the games on Steam were early access survival crafting games.

Edit: Ninja'd