Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Trying to avoid Valheim spoilers and having fun with it rn, but wondering a little about the end stage gameplay - is it intended to be a recursive thing eventually, or just build your Viking city and defend it eternally from monsters and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Anyone try/trying Len’s Island? Seems like it has promise, but idk if it’s $25 worth of promise

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
The best part is that there’s a whole ‘nother murderbear mission but this one spawns a whole wave of wolves and bears and it’s absolutely possible for them to break your magic science scanner machine and render the mission impossible to complete lol

Anyways game is absolutely jank in at least a few ways but it’s pretty fun in a group. If anything it’s much more tuned for group play than solo play.

If you’re playing mostly solo it’s gonna be a loving miserable grind and honestly, I wouldn’t buy the game. Bears arent too bad but sometimes you slip up and it’s pretty punishing when you do playing solo. Polar bears will obliterate you. So you’re stuck grinding exp to get better weapons, and then you’re stuck grinding materials and building up your base to make those weapons, and losing time to storm repairs and accidental deaths etc etc. seriously don’t even bother.

If you’re playing with a group (and honestly you probably want a minimum of 3 people) things get way easier. You get some shared exp from each other’s actions so leveling isn’t such a grind, gathering is way easier with more people, different people can specialize in different areas to make leveling more efficient (food guy, armor person, medicine person, etc), you aren’t hosed every time you go down, and 4 people can put down a polar bear with a little luck.

Even with 4 people expeditions can take a while, though, and it’s still janky cause you can switch expedition hosts but if you take a break and 3 people complete it at a later time it may or may not get weird for the 4th.

I think it’s been worth for playing with friends but I can’t say strongly enough, just don’t even bother if you play solo.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Maxing bows in Icarus kinda breaks the game. I can easily solo polar bears with a longbow & bone arrows now without having to do anything more than walk backwards a little, and run speed talents + run speed with bow + two speed modules makes you fast as hell.

Find some carrots (+5% ranged damage) and cook up some fish (+75% stamina regen) and you’re pretty much set.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Good point. I was thinking about saving the bp points but I have like 40 unspent points, one extra isn’t a big deal.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Pushing into the higher levels of Icarus and it definitely needs a group if you don’t want to grind the same poo poo for hours to make t4 stuff.

I think Valheim had a great system for unlocking tech and equipment advances; mix a little of the previous biome materials in with newer, harder to get materials. Icarus is more akin to Albion/New World where you end up having to farm a shitload of basic materials to make high level stuff. You can cut some of that short by taking certain talents (namely make sticks from wood) but it’ll cost you multiple (I think at least 3-4) talent points (you currently get 40 total) and a blueprint point as well. Pretty loving rough tbh.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Warrior Princess posted:

You can just turn sticks into wood with 1 blueprint point into the t2 carpentry table. The talent and points expenditure just let's you do it by hand. Absolutely don't waste a talent on it unless you have a desperate need to craft sticks by hand.

Edit: same goes for the leather into rope, don't waste poo poo on it, the textile station has the recipe already by default.

Edit2: it goes without saying that requiring a *talent* point just to unlock a *blueprint option* that you then gave to spend a *blueprint point* on to craft sticks or ropes by hand without a station is the DUMBEST poo poo.

Oh poo poo, that’s super helpful! I realized that about the textile table, which makes the talent point thing even more obnoxious. It’s a glaring flaw that you get limited talents to spend, can’t respec them, and also get entirely useless options to choose with no way to figure it out other than re-rolling.

Edit: also entirely agreed on Valheim’s swamp dungeons. I didn’t mind the crypts since it only took a few and you’re still getting used to the game, but the swamp dungeons are obnoxious given the amount of iron you need and how hard it is to move it around.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Lol holy poo poo

edit: also loving all the survival game stans jumping out to defend terrible dev decisions in that thread

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 11, 2021

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Once you know what you’re doing in Icarus and especially once you have a decent amount of talent points in the bow tree the “minimum viable build” is getting a crafting bench, making a longbow, and then just finishing the rest of the mission by wrecking everything with a longbow & bone arrows. The workshop oxygen tank + canteen means you never have to worry about oxygen or water for basically the rest of any mission. Other than that the basic 3d knife is good because it lets you skin larger animals, but even then you get more bone with the stone knife so I just use it most of the time.

You can farm a crafting bench, bags, and an oxidizer within 15 minutes of most missions and then you’re basically set. I’ve only run into one mission that took longer, simply because it required tier 4 tech to complete. I have 11 unspent talent points and 70+ unspent bp points that I just haven’t needed. Game is definitely in alpha state.

Edit: also kinda bullshit that they brag about “35 missions!” and half of those are the same mission just in slightly different biomes (or even the same biome, since riverlands & forest are loving identical), plus 4-5 missions are 30-day free play “exploration” missions.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 15, 2021

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
It looks interesting, gives me some Crashlands vibes.

Speaking of which, that game was pretty fun. Is there anything with similar action (ie action rpgish vs colony management) that scratches that itch? Keplerth seems worth a try but also still looks pretty unfinished

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Oysters Autobio posted:

So I've held off on Icarus after hearing about the buggy mess when it first opened into early access.

How is it now? I've been itching for a survival crafting/building game, and been really wanting something like Green Hell but with more building and not in the jungle, or The Forest without zombies.

It is not good. Super underbaked, lots of very poor design decisions, halfass storyline that doesn’t pass the smell test, and blatant asset flipping. Skill & tech tree rendered useless since you can easily kill anything in the game with T2 bow & arrows with enough skills, and higher tech is a brutal not fun grind.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

RandomBlue posted:

The game also has solo vs. group talent trees and last I heard you can't respec so either you use solo talents to optimize your solo play and suck in a group (those talents get disabled when playing with others IIRC) or you have a group char that sucks when solo.

Used to have permadeath if the RL mission timer expired before you completed the mission too but that's been changed/removed.

Some astoundingly bad design decisions in the game but it can be fun. I like their tree chopping implementation, it feels and sounds good, but mining rocks is just like pretty much every other rock mining game.

My issue with it is that once you maxed your bow combat skills (no solo skills needed), 95% of the missions were 1) chop a couple trees, kill a couple animals, make a level 2/3? bow & armor 2) make a bunch of bone arrows and go finish the mission. Especially with sneaking headshots, you can just waltz around and wreck everything. Bears, polar bears, elephants, whatever.

And then the other 5% of the missions required higher level equipment that took insane exponential effort to build that just made everything a massive chore. Add in a super boring static world populated with lovely purchased assets and you've got a crappy, crappy game.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Cool Dad posted:

Is there a good youtuber who plays Project Zomboid?

nthing AmbiguousAmphibian, frankly all of his videos are 100% fantastic and worth watching just for entertainment; his Kenshi and Rimworld series are amazing.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

buglord posted:

Yeah AA is a cool dude. 99% of what he does are comedy gimmick runs (on any game, really) but I did learn a handful of things I didn’t know about survival. He is also not what I’d consider annoying or over the top, which is hard to find on the gaming side of YT.

Between him and Let's Game It Out there's almost no need for other management game type channels

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Vib Rib posted:

I just think it's very funny that Icarus was such a boring, bland piece of crap after they spent so much time and money hyping it up.
All that and it's just "okay now build your stick base that looks like every other stick base in every other survival game".

It was pretty clear once you got 8-10 hours into it that the devs didn’t really understand how to do things like “game balance” or “make an entertaining game” vs just copy-pasting stupid survival game mechanics together in an incoherent mess. I stopped playing once I realized that I could make a tier 2 bow and some clothes and then just absolutely trash 95% of the missions once my bow skills were maxed

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Vib Rib posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omcvQIQKmGw
This got revealed two weeks ago but I hadn't seen anyone discussing it. Looks pretty cool, always nice to see a survival game that uses a creative setting.

iirc it has a demo but it was pretty bare bones & a little janky. hopefully it cleans up nicer

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

mrmcd posted:

Is Icarus fun yet? I played it like a year ago and there was some promise there but eventually gave up because the game design is just horribly tedious and grindy combined with janky bugs that would randomly screw you over and erase hours or days of progress.

I had the same experience as you - once you maxed bow tree before you’d just make a longbow and take 4 wood walls and 2 floors around and destroy the rest of the mission with bone arrows. I recently picked it back up and played a bunch and there’s still a little of that as far as I can tell with Olympus, but it generally feels a little more cohesive somehow; not sure why tho. T4 can still be a ridiculous grind if you aren’t prepped for it and the T4 missions can still be rough in that you either need to drag a ton of poo poo around so you’re prepped for mission objectives or figure out mission objectives first so that you don’t do a bunch of work to get to the mission and then a bunch more work to rebuild all the poo poo you didn’t bring with you.

All the same it scratches the itch pretty well. I’ve thought about getting the expansion; maybe if it goes on sale sometime.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

chainchompz posted:

Any reasons I shouldn't jump on it?
Is it something I can pick up and put down easily like if I only have like half an hour or less to game on a weeknight? That's not to say that I don't expect to have to put in some time to get where the cool stuff happens, just that right now is my busiest time of year so I'll only get to chip away towards the cool stuff instead of plowing a whole weekend away at it or what have you.

I finally got it a couple days ago and I’m liking it way, way more than I originally thought I would. My previous totally uninformed impression was that it was a more grognardy Minecraft and in a way it is, but it turns it into a much slower-paced mellow thing. Making your first metal tools is actually a real undertaking vs making a rock pick and digging straight down to copper ASAP in Minecraft.

The other nice part is the slow pace means that half-hour sessions are perfectly doable, cause there are a bunch of intermediary crafting steps - forming clay into molds & vessels & firing it, getting hides & curing them, making charcoal, exploring for various resources and mineral deposits, etc. totally worth 20 bucks

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
lol yeah I've been playing for like 7 or 8 hours and murked my first bear as soon as I saw it with a couple spears and a bunch of arrows. Just finished crafting my first copper pickaxe & hammer, and mined my first copper surface deposit - feels pretty good. Now to get some beehives cranking so I can figure out candles & preserving food.

Two questions - I have a few chunks of tin from panning already - is it at all worth panning up some more and going straight to casting a bronze anvil to save some copper? Also general question - what are good areas to settle when you're a beginner? right now I'm in a temperate zone with common rain on a smallish island - it rises up about 5 blocks and its maybe 8x15 on top, and I rounded out another island right next to it to make a starting farm. I could expand both pretty easily, and now that i have a pick I could hollow out the main island for living quarters, too. What should I look for in terms of nearby resources, though, wrt fully building out a good starter location? I'd prefer to move now if I do, while I still only have enough important stuff to take a trip or two vs 10 trips back and forth.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

TeaJay posted:

Regarding bronze: honestly you're gonna be panning until next year if you're gonna be trying to get enough for tools. Copper is plentiful while you look for either tin or zinc&bismuth which also makes bronze (and has always been easier for me to find).

Oh definitely not for tools - I was just thinking enough for the anvil to skip copper anvils and save a couple ingots when I saw I could get zinc from panning. I’d still need bismuth tho I guess so rip.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I’ve switched all my VS runs over to single death hardcore runs, feels more interesting this way. Is there any way to have a random biome start as well? I guess I could roll a dice first when choosing world setup but random parameters would be more fun.

I found some suerite chips sometime during my current start but there’s like a 100x100 block area that they might’ve come from cause I wasn’t paying attention, rip

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Bussamove posted:

I dropped some dosh on Vintage Story and wow, that is a steep but satisfying learning curve. Only had time to dink around in the stone/pottery age and this character is probably screwed for the winter but I’m very slowly getting the hang of things!

Learn how to make cellars and some basic storage stuff and winter seems pretty doable. Meals keep 20+ days in an unsealed crock in a cellar, and way, way longer if you seal them with beeswax or animal fat. I’m not really eating any of my grain until my first round of crops come in because it keeps so well in storage. Mushrooms & turnips store pretty well, too, and onions have a super long shelf life.

I’m just making a bunch of redmeat + berry or veg meals right now cause that stuff all spoils faster (at least until I get some salt). I’ m waiting on a beehive to propagate so I should have bees in a day or two; dunno if it’ll be fast enough for jam before winter but I’ll have it for next year if I don’t die first. Honestly feels like you can survive forever pretty easily with stone/pottery alone. Copper def makes a nice improvement for proper cellars & stonework but it all feels like cruising from there as far as survival goes.

Anyone have good ruins rebuilds? My current start is pretty great - it’s by a confluence of limestone, slate, and granite. Bunch of malachite deposits all over, decent blue + fire clay deposits, tons of brown coal & lead, and some sandstone like half a day to the east. Propicking said there’s good bismuth deposits like 2-300 blocks away as well. My starter base/farm is a series of built-out islands on the edge of a decent sized lake, but it’s in a “rain almost constantly” zone so I’m thinking about moving a little north to one of the large square amphitheater-style ruins and rebuilding off of it. All the steps descending into the middle make for an awkward design start tho; gotta think it out a little I guess.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

CuddleCryptid posted:

After getting through most of Sons of the Forest (incidentally without building any actual structures because the game relies on you running all over the drat map) I decided to try out Icarus, but I'm not entirely clear on how the game's structure works. Is the expectation that you can go into missions to harvest resources to bring back to the open world, or are they separate games that you can use the same character and skill tree on?

The meta-game progression is still pretty goofy. You use the same character with the same skills for each mission, but mission rewards let you buy items you can bring into each mission. If you die or you leave the items behind when you finish, you lose them. Some of the items are also single-use. Honestly the only things I bother with are like the 3rd suit that gives you both extra suit slots & water & I think resistance?, various suit mods (usually +weight & +runspeed), and a canteen + oxygen tank. Everything else is generally just as easy to make - one cave is usually enough to get an anvil + steel pick/axe/knife and then you’re basically set.

It’s worth it to plan your skill tree out a little cause re-skilling is kinda a pita (tho at least it’s doable now) and you have a maximum number of skill points. I maxed out a bunch of bow + knife skills cause you can do a ton of the content with just a longbow and it means you’re not using up extra inventory slots. Knife attacks super fast, too. There are a few QOL skills that are super worth - get the “pick up chopped wood automatically” skill asap, it’s a loving lifesaver. Weight capacity skills are good, too. I don’t really care about any of the gathering skills or many of the survival skills because keeping yourself fed/hydrated/aired up is all pretty easy. Take all the runspeed skills you can imo. Some of the effect skills (arrow slow/stun, extra bullets, etc) are nice but not necessarily that worth - I’d rather just have straight damage/crit chance skills most of the time, and that saves points for getting stuff like more carry weight or one of the armor sets.

Also don’t sweat the blueprints too hard -while you only get a max amount of skill points you gain ghost levels after you max out and get blueprint points for each max level, so you’re basically guaranteed to get them all eventually.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

LordSloth posted:

I’m not too familiar on the details re: interconnectivity, but the expectation but not reality is that the open world experience can be fully self-contained. Last I recall they had partially integrated missions into the open world but there was some sort of more advanced mission that was not yet implemented in the open world.

Year old info here: there were some unlocks only available through the mission structure, ren and exotics. The last video I recall watching (a month or two ago) left off after the player realized they couldn’t access somethings in just the open world and they were waiting for the next update. They achieved quite a lot of episodes in just the open world before they realized that everything wasn’t available in a single mode, so it doesn’t strike me as particularly blatant up until they tried to mine for exotics, and they were well into the third/fourth tech tree iirc.

Oh yeah, wrt the open world vs mission & resources thing the original idea was that you're a contractor going on missions and you only have a pod big enough to carry you and maybe a few tools on and off planet, and that the planetary storms are so severe that everything you build in a mission gets destroyed. And something something about how stuff you bring off planet doesn't last or something unless it's special exotic minerals that work as a secondary currency. And big surprise, a ton of people absolutely hated it and wanted a permanent base, so they've been moving more to an open-world setup with structures you can build to access missions and station resources like tools etc.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
So the open world lets you bring certain stuff in and take out exotics and such, and you can access certain missions & supplies by building comm relay type things. Some of the missions are basically like 3-step quests and some of the missions are actual in-game missions. Afaik theyre working to set it up so you can stay open world the whole time and access most or all of the in-game missions through comm structures. I don't 100% know how it works if you switch back and forth between open world & single missions, but when you do a single mission you have to go in with whatever you bring and then extract with it if you want to keep it, and you're stuck in that mission until you finish it, time runs out, or you abandon it. If the latter two happen you lose all the poo poo you brought in. I assume that's all the same for open world, I just don't know if the open world stuff you've previously built on-planet remains if you leave, do a single mission, and then come back. Easy enough to experiment with tbh

also my vintage story ruins are in a temporally unstable spot, rip that plan

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Speaking of campfires, the other two nice workshop buys are the portable campfire & basic furnace. It’s really hard to burn yourself on the portable campfire and the furnace is a fraction of the weight of a stone furnace, saves a ton of room, and saves you having to farm a bunch of stone at the beginning with a lovely stone pick. They’re expensive but pretty nice to have.

Oh and if you haven’t figured it out yet, leaving the slow-mo crit effect on gives you a huge chance at crit headshots while sneaking. You can still miss, but it feels like it turns just about anything on the front half of the animal into a sneak crit which does like 10x damage or something. I drop anything under bear/mammoth/elephant/croc/scorpion with one shot from a longbow w/ bone arrows

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 28, 2023

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
VS: found bismuth + sphalerite (& a bonus lead vein) and made my first bronze - think I have enough for a pick, hammer, propick & anvil with some left over for a couple plates for a mining bag, tho first batch of leather is almost done for backpacks, too. Also got my first populated skep & started the apiary so I’m almost ready to start sealing up a bunch of crocks for winter. Thinking about learning how to do windmills & gears and such next cause manual querning blows, and it seems like it’ll be useful once I get iron, anyways.

I’ve been playing as the hunter class for the move speed, and crude arrows are pretty nice to have, too Thinking about giving clockmaker & blackguard a try down the road, clock for speed + locust stuff + less temporal gears needed and blackguard for trying out more intense caving maybe. Move speed plus ranged damage is pretty nice for now tho. What classes do ppl like in general?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Senrab posted:

I've found tons of Bismuth so far but no sphalerite yet. I've only just gotten the hang of the ProPick so I've got a few traces discovered that I'm going to investigate soon. To that end, I've been playing on vanilla settings but I finally installed my first mod: ProspectorInfo. I HIGHLY recommend this one, it saves prospecting results right on your map automatically, and they only show while you are holding a ProPick so it helps reduce map clutter.

im playing vanilla too, but would recommend two other QOL mods along with ProspectorInfo - the basic HUD that gives you a little temp/time/wind/rift indicator up in the corner so you don't have to pull up your character screen all the time, and the mod that lets things cook and stack (torches, meat stacks, etc) without having to remove the finished item and restart the cooking.

If you're desperate you can pan sphalerite from gravel/sand, and you don't need too much for bismuth bronze, which at least gets you a pick/propick that lasts longer & mines a little faster

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Ya there are some things that are pretty decent about Icarus but there’s a lot lot lot of design jank in a fairly sterile starter world with very little in the way of actual story that people might not want to deal with

Edit also some real fuckin goofy difficulty/grind spikes that are totally untelegraphed, like the wolf boss two missions in who runs at 70 mph and like three-shots you, has like 95% range resist and also runs out of sight at 70 mph if you hit him with like one arrow, or making anything T4 because you need exponential amounts of uncommon poo poo to make it

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 2, 2023

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
the thing with icarus is that literally like 90% of the original world missions are:

-make stone knife, crude bow, axe, pick, 4-5 stone arrows
-kill a deer &/or couple antelopes or wolves or whatever, make bone knife, bone sickle, 3-4 bone arrows
-fuckin slay out

at some point go into a cave or two and make an anvil, longbow, and steel knife/axe/pick but anything past that only matters if it's actually a T3/T4 mission

I use two armors ever, really - fiber armor when i'm not in the snow, and fur when i am in the snow. fiber run bonus plus the run bonus talent you should have from your weapons means nothing really catches you

oh and you can dodge the bear charge, it's actually really easy. either dodge them & shoot them when they recharge for easy headshots, or pop them in the face when they run by (spear easiest for this tho you can do it with a knife too if your timing is good)

and cheese the gently caress out of those stupid wave defense missions. I put a couple walls down in front of the scanner with a ramp somewhere so i can get on top and throw down like 6-7 hedgehogs and just obliterate everything from the top of the wall. there are a couple missions you have to defend from like fuckin elephants and mammoths, use like 10-12 hedgehogs for those.

Anyways, a lot of the animations & gathering/harvesting stuff in Icarus feels pretty good, and I like that the environment changes somewhat significantly between desert/temperate/snow and makes you play differently depending on where you start from and your biomes actual available resources, but the gameplay gets a little stale after you've killed your 500th "alien" deer and still not really engaged with much of a story and are just doing the same thing over again

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm really tempted, honestly...I'm still in the first temperate zone of the first map and the combat is getting better, I don't die as easily and I feel like things are becoming a bit more managable; I still don't understand how to tame animals, and the game runs a bit poorly but I'm having fun just doing the open world thing. I have Ark and the like but it runs such like butt and there's just so much going on I can't see myself playing it unless it's with a group of friends, or if you turn some of the decay wayyyyy down in solo

lead a juvenile animal back to your base, make it a bed (tailoring bench), food trough, water trough & wait a while

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
valheim is fine solo, mistlands felt like a chore tho. Haven't really finished the Mistlands boss. Yagluth is a little rough for a solo fight but Bonemass is easy, Elder is easy, dragon isn't too hard just takes a lot of arrows (but obsidian arrows are super cheap). Use your first metal to get any necessary pickaxe/crafting upgrades you need and then always, ALWAYS upgrade your buckler-type shield (or whichever shield has the highest parry+block modifier) to max as the first thing you do and then just git gud.

It's a really good game

edit: and as far as grinding goes, it really isn't bad once you're a little bit familiar with things. Like for example there is no need for bronze or iron armor - I go straight from troll hide to silver. Similarly with weapons - a maxed wooden club works just fine until you get enough iron for a mace, and then that's fine until you get enough silver and find the merchant to make Frostnir. Farming frost caves can be a pain cause they're a little harder to find but once you get to the plains resources start to become a lot more plentiful

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 14, 2023

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Valheim is probably the best intro. The survival elements are pretty mellow - different foods give you varying health & stamina bonuses, and there are some environmental effects like getting cold and wet, but most of it won’t actually kill you. You can go absolutely bonkers with creative building and have a lot of fun setting up a full base with friends and such. The aesthetic is a little no-frills, but also very nice and generally pretty mellow. And it’s like $10-20 depending on sale price.

Raft and Grounded are both good. Raft can have a little bit of an unforgiving start while you’re still learning what you need to do in the early game to survive, and Grounded combat can be unforgiving in that missing parry timing gets you killed pretty quick, and while it isn’t Dark Souls the timing can still be finnicky. Both have a decent amount of exploration (tho in slightly different ways) and both have somewhat linear storyline progression.

For pure survival I’ll throw in Vintage Story. It takes a little getting used to but I think it feels like the best execution of “survival” through gameplay. Making knapped tools and clay vessels is actually a big part of the gameplay, and depending on the rarity of ores in your world progressing through the various metals can be significantly challenging. And seasons affect everything around you so you actually need to think about like, preparing for winter and such. Just about all of it can be fine-tuned to your specific liking in the base game, too - everything about world generation, ore frequency, growth rates, year durations, etc. it’s good

Edit: if you’re in it for the pvp aspect you could try V Rising, it’s a little bit survival meets MOBA. I very very hesitantly offer Rust as well if you want a LOT of pvp with some crafting and some building, with the huge caveat that Rust is one of the most toxic games on the loving internet

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 16, 2023

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Ulio posted:

So i played 2 games. Grounded was recommended but it's only online if you have friends. But in general I found it paced too slow. Tried Conan as well, it was a bit better but I don't know if it was the combat or just the graphics it didn't really give any atmosphere or vibe that some of these other games look to have.

It's not really survival, but maybe give Zero Sievert a try. It's basically a single-player Tarkov Lite; a bunch of the story/setting is directly ripped off from Tarkov. Basically a high-risk, super fast TTK extraction shooter with some light survivally mechanics like food/radiation/stamina etc

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Spanish Matlock posted:

Vintage story doesn't really have any stakes or tension. It's a fine Walden simulator, though.

play more permadeath wilderness survival :sickos:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Vintage Story looks cool, I really just like the base building and having to go out and explore to find resources to go back and build your base and such, you get into that gameplay loop and it's like a time machine

I might pick up zomboid and see how I feel about it

like 90% of the content of Vintage Story is running around finding stuff to make your base look better, it's basically the exact loop you describe. You can make it pretty much exactly as challenging as you prefer; world generation and game parameters are super customizable. Minecraft probably has a few more options for basic building just because of the way blocks and half-blocks place, but you can chisel blocks in VS and make your base super detailed & intricate if you want to take the time. If you liked Icarus you might enjoy VS

LordSloth posted:

It’s four in the morning so I’m going to throw out a couple of oddball suggestions, inspired by the comment about tending to an area and the various ‘meh’ responses

State of Decay 2, Wildmender.

Wildmender isn't bad but its very, uh, survival-game-for-4th-graders tbh. idk that I'd say that there's jank exactly, but there are definitely mechanics that work a little goofy and things with the gameplay & GUI that could use some work

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 4, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

SubponticatePoster posted:

Are you playing Ark on a server? Because you can turn down/off building and dino decay in SP. If you're playing ascended it does require a fairly beefy rig to run well. Or console - graphics aren't as good but it's mostly a steady framerate so far on PS5.

Rust is a game I enjoy watching other people play for the same reason; I am an adult (theoretically) with a job and stuff and don't have time to spend building a base and scavenging only to have it knocked off by some nolifer who plays 17 hours a day. I hosted it on a private server and played with friends and that was fun since the only enemies were the scientists and you could base build/loot without worrying.

My thing with Rust is that it's just Lord of the Flies online, and so any gameplay on the server boils down to lowest common denominator. Maybe you just want to gently caress around and do stupid poo poo but 95% of the rest of the player base will just KOS and wipe out your goofy fun base just to be assholes. So you have to either grind your rear end off like you mentioned or put stupid hours into it to get good, and all that time is spent with one of the most toxic playerbases out there. And the end result is that you can run around crushing casual players instead (at least until a 20 man zerg shows up and wipes the server). It's not worth playing.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
bears are pretty easy once you learn to joust them, use a spear or a bow. You can cheese most of the "guard the scanner" missions pretty easily by building some wooden walls & platforms to sit on and throwing a bunch of hedgehogs around it for stuff to mash itself into. And a few points in archery plus bone arrows means you can sneak headshot wolves pretty easily for good xp - make sure you skin them as well because they're worth like 2-3k xp even if you arent taking anything

but yeah there are points in the game where it is far too grindy and also points where they dump an insane challenge on you without any setup or warning (the scanner + bear mission you mentioned, elephants & mammoths and poo poo later) and none of that has really improved since launch

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
yeah the wolf boss is definitely one of those incredible stupid missions where if you aren't insanely overprepared you just get smoked out of nowhere, not fun. I like a lot of the crafting and gathering in Icarus (except for tier 4 stuff, gently caress the tier 4 grind), I like the world and the way that starting in different spots kinda changes how you do things from the start, I like a lot of the sound design, but there's a lot of drag in the game that sucks to deal with

i played it for like 40 hours straight when it came out and then bailed cause there was just too much stupid poo poo to bother to keep playing. Played it a bunch a few months ago and while it was better, the experience was somewhat the same. Apparently the expansions are better but idk if they're so much better that it makes playing worth it when there are so many other great games out there; Vintage Story is scratching my survival itch way better anyways.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I mean, on the flip side chopping down enough trees to build a log cabin with a stone axe and shaping them to fit with an adze would take you months and months of insane physical effort but that wouldn’t be a very fun game, either