Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Zomboid is good and I’m not a zombie media lover. It’s extremely crunchy in ways that I enjoy, but that also means it’s very punishing and while you can certainly tune that down with settings, I feel like you’ll enjoy the game most if you like getting into that punishing nonsense.

Vintage Story isn’t on your list and is about to have a new patch (or well, it does, but it’s not quite “official” yet.)

Vintage Story looks cool, I really just like the base building and having to go out and explore to find resources to go back and build your base and such, you get into that gameplay loop and it's like a time machine

I might pick up zomboid and see how I feel about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm trying to find a good base builder kind of game but IDK what to buy that's good

I may generally end up only playing solo

I've tried:

ARK (want to like this but it feels like it's not good solo)
V Rising (kinda liked this)
Icarus (liked this, the open world mode anyways)
Rust (eh)
Valheim (eh)
7 days to die (didn't really like this, kinda janky)
Empyrion Galactic Survival (too jank, didn't like)
Conan Exiles (i guess it's ok but I'm just not a Fantasy girl)
Subnautica 1 (i guess it's ok, I played it early on in development so idk if it got any better)
Don't Starve (Bounced off this, maybe I should give it another go?)

Not sure if anything's on sale that's good...
I see Project Zomboid but I'm not really into zombies but I'm thinking about it
Astroneer, Space Engineers, Occupy Mars?

any suggestions would be appreciated

That's most of the good survival games. Except maybe Terraria, but the base-building in that is just to support the adventuring and fighting.

Maybe try one of these adjacent base-builder genres?

Stardew Valley is a good introduction (I've got several thousand hours in it) to the farming life-sim genre. Happily, it is also general considered the best as well.

Rimworld is probably the most accessible of the base-building management games If you don't want to fight in your basebuilder, Clanfolk is a great choice, but since this is the survival thread I'm guess you want more conflict than Clanfolk provides. Not that Clanfolk is easy, most players die their first 2-3 games before they figure out how to not starve or freeze to death.

From what little Lego Fortnite I've played, it is just a reskinned Valheim. OP said they didn't like Valheim so I'd be surprised if they like Lego Fortnite.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LLSix posted:

Lego Fortnite is just a reskinned Valheim. OP said they didn't like Valheim so I'd be surprised if they like Lego Fortnite.

It’s free to try so :shrug:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Zomboid is good and I’m not a zombie media lover. It’s extremely crunchy in ways that I enjoy, but that also means it’s very punishing and while you can certainly tune that down with settings, I feel like you’ll enjoy the game most if you like getting into that punishing nonsense.

Agreed on Zomboid being a serious contender, here. There are a lot of options to customise your experience, so if you want more of a "last person on earth" game, you can most definitely dial back the zombies as much as you like. Same with other options, like switching off the chance to catch the zombie infection when wounded, to simulate being immune to it.
That being said though, I'd still recommend keeping the various zombie options switched onto low settings at minimum, otherwise it might get a little stale having an empty world. Since even if you're not a fan of zombies, stumbling across some danger now and again after you've gotten complacent is always exciting

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm trying to find a good base builder kind of game but IDK what to buy that's good

I may generally end up only playing solo

I've tried:

ARK (want to like this but it feels like it's not good solo)
V Rising (kinda liked this)
Icarus (liked this, the open world mode anyways)
Rust (eh)
Valheim (eh)
7 days to die (didn't really like this, kinda janky)
Empyrion Galactic Survival (too jank, didn't like)
Conan Exiles (i guess it's ok but I'm just not a Fantasy girl)
Subnautica 1 (i guess it's ok, I played it early on in development so idk if it got any better)
Don't Starve (Bounced off this, maybe I should give it another go?)

Not sure if anything's on sale that's good...
I see Project Zomboid but I'm not really into zombies but I'm thinking about it
Astroneer, Space Engineers, Occupy Mars?

Space Engineers is good but IMO it was better back before planets.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It apparently changed a LOT since release and is almost a different game given how much better it got.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I did like what I played at the time of The Long Dark but it doesn't have base building, it's mostly just survival exploring from what I could tell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUofVa-Hgfc

this sounds good & fun, tho it doesn't seem to have base building.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 3, 2024

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Major Isoor posted:

Agreed on Zomboid being a serious contender, here. There are a lot of options to customise your experience, so if you want more of a "last person on earth" game, you can most definitely dial back the zombies as much as you like. Same with other options, like switching off the chance to catch the zombie infection when wounded, to simulate being immune to it.
That being said though, I'd still recommend keeping the various zombie options switched onto low settings at minimum, otherwise it might get a little stale having an empty world. Since even if you're not a fan of zombies, stumbling across some danger now and again after you've gotten complacent is always exciting

Speaking of, I have PZ and did a few runs of it but I'm not a fan of the endless grind of zombies on "default" settings; I know you're *supposed* to die a lot, but I don't like that (also play Rimworld at low difficulty for the same reason: I prefer the challenge of survival games to be in, well, surviving - not fighting)

Though, if you do set the game up so there's no zombies or almost, it's a bit too quiet out there - I haven't found a happy medium between "oh god zombies everywhere" and "hmm I haven't seen a single zombie in 3 days and 2 neighborhoods fully explored". Are there some "recommended" setups so that the focus of the game stays with scavenging, exploring, and crafting but still has a few zombies (not a few dozen...) to kill off every day?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve always looked for the same. I like the idea of sort of tending to an area - if I spend some days really clearing it, I only want zombies to migrate in from the edges, and for distant or unvisited areas I only want a slow repopulation.

I’m sure it’s possible since I’ve played with the settings a little, but I don’t have a good sense of the numbers.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
It’s four in the morning so I’m going to throw out a couple of oddball suggestions, inspired by the comment about tending to an area and the various ‘meh’ responses

State of Decay 2, Wildmender.

I had a thought in response to Icarus in the aim of a more on target suggestion, but I accidentally hit back on the post and my brain lacks retention before I can make a cuppa coffee.

Three random names: grounded, green hell, sons of forest

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
On the topic of zombie spawns, I think that's one of the reasons I bounced off Project Zomboid so hard. There were always more zombies in areas I'd just cleared. I would turn my back for a second and more zombies just magically spawned in. I was coming off of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, where zombies just exist in the world and what you see is what you get, so I didn't enjoy PZ's weird cell population system where more zombies exist, they're just out of frame, trust me, they go to another school, you wouldn't know them. If I clear an area I want it to actually be cleared, not swarming again because the magic zombie pool had more to drop off!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you played Subnautica in EA, I recommend trying it again. It changed wildly through its development, whole mechanics (terraforming, gene splicing, research, building) were changed or removed during the course of its early access run.
Building a cozy little underwater base can be very relaxing, and if you played in EA you already own it so I would strongly recommend it.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Currently trying to find a co-op survival game that fits for my brother. Currently we're trying to play valheim but it's not very fun because he only really has an hour once or twice a week to play and so we get very little done. Of the many co-op survival games out there, which one do you guys think is most suitable to somebody who only has a tiny bit of time to play?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Umbreon posted:

Currently trying to find a co-op survival game that fits for my brother. Currently we're trying to play valheim but it's not very fun because he only really has an hour once or twice a week to play and so we get very little done. Of the many co-op survival games out there, which one do you guys think is most suitable to somebody who only has a tiny bit of time to play?

My suggestion for both you and GreenBuccaneer: Raft

It's p much my favorite chill survival co-op game I've played with my co-op buddy, who generally is only up for an hour or two a night at most. There's some impetus to make progress and it isn't too hard, or you can just chill and build out your raft. The various building bits are crunchy enough you can make some pretty elaborate stuff too.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

My suggestion for both you and GreenBuccaneer: Raft

It's p much my favorite chill survival co-op game I've played with my co-op buddy, who generally is only up for an hour or two a night at most. There's some impetus to make progress and it isn't too hard, or you can just chill and build out your raft. The various building bits are crunchy enough you can make some pretty elaborate stuff too.

poo poo, I should have mentioned we played that before and he loved it a lot, but it was back when he had more time and so we basically burned out on it after long enough. Great suggestion though.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
The Forest and Sons of the Forest are pretty good. They're more story driven than open world but there's a decent base building mechanic in them.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

GreenBuckanneer posted:

this sounds good & fun, tho it doesn't seem to have base building.

It does but it's sort of an advanced feature rather than a core mechanic. The game expects you to squat in whatever random building you find, but if you get a few skill levels you can start building your own walls etc. and eventually build your own base from the ground up if you want. The game has some oddities about what it considers "indoors" if you do that but you can totally just play the sims zombie edition.

If you didn't care for empyrion I'd say skip space engineers. I love that game but it's a different kind of jank and is almost entirely open ended goals.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Umbreon posted:

poo poo, I should have mentioned we played that before and he loved it a lot, but it was back when he had more time and so we basically burned out on it after long enough. Great suggestion though.

rip, but also hell yeah.

I don't have any other suggestions than lol, there aren't really a lot of survival co-op sims i consider chill and worth playing only a couple of hours at a time. You could do Grounded and tweak the settings so the combat is less try hard and the builder gnat is available. Plenty of ways to make honey i shrunk the kids game a much more chill experience now with the customs settings.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

On the topic of zombie spawns, I think that's one of the reasons I bounced off Project Zomboid so hard. There were always more zombies in areas I'd just cleared. I would turn my back for a second and more zombies just magically spawned in. I was coming off of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, where zombies just exist in the world and what you see is what you get, so I didn't enjoy PZ's weird cell population system where more zombies exist, they're just out of frame, trust me, they go to another school, you wouldn't know them. If I clear an area I want it to actually be cleared, not swarming again because the magic zombie pool had more to drop off!

That's where the zombie population settings under custom game come into play. https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Custom_Sandbox#Advanced_Zombie_Options

Making Respawn Hours 0 means no zombies will respawn, but they can spawn in just fine. For example:

Neighborhood 1 cleared
Neighborhood 2 not visited by player

If at Respawn Hours 0, then N1 will never have zombies again in it unless they migrate from neighboring zones. N2 could have a small amount of zombies in it or a large number in it depending on when the player first visits it based on Population Multiplier/Star Multiplier/Peak Multiplier/Peak Day.

Personally, I too like to think I can clear areas out, but I also allow for a little respawn to account for random survivors I don't encounter turning later, so I leave my Respawn Hours at default but change my Respawn Unseen to 168. This means that in areas where I am at frequently, it's highly unlikely zombies will respawn because my character is constantly "seeing" the zone. But, if I make a trip out to the country club and clear it then come back months later, there will likely be zombies there again. If I came back a week later, it's likely that there will be few to no zombies unless they migrated.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Having a fixed amount of zombies from the start and simulating migration between cells would be very cool. I don’t like respawning in games that already simulate so much other stuff.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LordSloth posted:

I had a thought in response to Icarus in the aim of a more on target suggestion, but I accidentally hit back on the post and my brain lacks retention before I can make a cuppa coffee.

I have State of Decay 1 and 2 but I tried 1 a while back and i thought it was the jankiest thing and never went back, but got suckered into buying 2 on sale and hadn't played it yet, assuming in my head it wasn't going to be any better. Maybe it is?

As for Icarus, I remember really enjoying the open world one, less so the "repeated rougelike map completion" because I just am not a fan of spending hours to build a base to have to build it all over again

I want to build my forever home and I want everyone else to stay the gently caress away.

I remember wanting to like Rust, in terms of I loved the upgrade trees, I loved just scrounging around for resources but then also loved setting up automation for resources later (like DSP or Satisfactory or whatever) but I am not at all okay at the PvP aspect in these kind of games where some kid can wreck your poo poo while you're at work. Hard, definitive no.

I wanted to like ARK but it runs like dogshit and everything degrades extremely fast so it feels like there's no downtime to chill because the clock is ticking hard on everything. That sucks.

I'll check out Raft as well, and maybe the Forest.

V Rising was cool, but the combat scaling for bosses with multiple people was a massive downer, but otherwise the game felt kind of sterile and plain, but the base building was neat.

I might give The Long Dark another crack, I remember enjoying it

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 4, 2024

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

If I recall correctly SoD2 was rough on release, but they supported the game all this time up to Update 35, albeit that was mostly a cosmetic seasonal event, the update 34 was four months ago that introduced curveball events with zombie mutations.

Point is, it could be a hot mess or fantastic. I think my experience is two or three years ago, and they haven’t stopped tweaking

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 4, 2024

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Are you playing Ark on a server? Because you can turn down/off building and dino decay in SP. If you're playing ascended it does require a fairly beefy rig to run well. Or console - graphics aren't as good but it's mostly a steady framerate so far on PS5.

Rust is a game I enjoy watching other people play for the same reason; I am an adult (theoretically) with a job and stuff and don't have time to spend building a base and scavenging only to have it knocked off by some nolifer who plays 17 hours a day. I hosted it on a private server and played with friends and that was fun since the only enemies were the scientists and you could base build/loot without worrying.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have State of Decay 1 and 2 but I tried 1 a while back and i thought it was the jankiest thing and never went back, but got suckered into buying 2 on sale and hadn't played it yet, assuming in my head it wasn't going to be any better. Maybe it is?

As for Icarus, I remember really enjoying the open world one, less so the "repeated rougelike map completion" because I just am not a fan of spending hours to build a base to have to build it all over again

I want to build my forever home and I want everyone else to stay the gently caress away.

I remember wanting to like Rust, in terms of I loved the upgrade trees, I loved just scrounging around for resources but then also loved setting up automation for resources later (like DSP or Satisfactory or whatever) but I am not at all okay at the PvP aspect in these kind of games where some kid can wreck your poo poo while you're at work. Hard, definitive no.

I wanted to like ARK but it runs like dogshit and everything degrades extremely fast so it feels like there's no downtime to chill because the clock is ticking hard on everything. That sucks.

I'll check out Raft as well, and maybe the Forest.

V Rising was cool, but the combat scaling for bosses with multiple people was a massive downer, but otherwise the game felt kind of sterile and plain, but the base building was neat.

I might give The Long Dark another crack, I remember enjoying it

I have a few more suggestions that haven't been made yet (unless I missed them): Grounded, Green Hell, and Kenshi. Kenshi's more of an open-world sandbox and might not be what you're looking for, but Grounded and Green Hell are both more firmly in the survival game genre.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Default settings ARK absolutly does not respect your time yeah and is untenable for solo play.

SoD2 was fun from my playtime a few months back. Felt like it was both too easy and too hard at the same time, weirdly. Nothing is a threat (that you can't avoid) till inevitably a juggernaut spawns just outside your base, is eventually aggro'd accidently, and wrecks poo poo. Doubly so if your playing on a high enough difficulty that they are plague jugs instead, that can quickly turn into a full save wipe instead of just a shitshow since they cause AoE infection at an absurd rate. I dislike how the difficulty works in regards to plague zeds allot, and usually use a mod that changes it. Overall the game was a polished and fun experience though, if inconsistently balanced.

The Long Dark is basically a magnum opus for solo survival games, but has no base building elements at all. The weird incomplete DLC eventually plans to change this, eventually:tm:.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Vintage Story looks cool, I really just like the base building and having to go out and explore to find resources to go back and build your base and such, you get into that gameplay loop and it's like a time machine

I might pick up zomboid and see how I feel about it

like 90% of the content of Vintage Story is running around finding stuff to make your base look better, it's basically the exact loop you describe. You can make it pretty much exactly as challenging as you prefer; world generation and game parameters are super customizable. Minecraft probably has a few more options for basic building just because of the way blocks and half-blocks place, but you can chisel blocks in VS and make your base super detailed & intricate if you want to take the time. If you liked Icarus you might enjoy VS

LordSloth posted:

It’s four in the morning so I’m going to throw out a couple of oddball suggestions, inspired by the comment about tending to an area and the various ‘meh’ responses

State of Decay 2, Wildmender.

Wildmender isn't bad but its very, uh, survival-game-for-4th-graders tbh. idk that I'd say that there's jank exactly, but there are definitely mechanics that work a little goofy and things with the gameplay & GUI that could use some work

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 4, 2024

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Fifty Farts posted:

...Grounded

I've been playing this with a couple of friends lately and the insects make it really creepy and interesting.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

SubponticatePoster posted:

Are you playing Ark on a server? Because you can turn down/off building and dino decay in SP. If you're playing ascended it does require a fairly beefy rig to run well. Or console - graphics aren't as good but it's mostly a steady framerate so far on PS5.

Rust is a game I enjoy watching other people play for the same reason; I am an adult (theoretically) with a job and stuff and don't have time to spend building a base and scavenging only to have it knocked off by some nolifer who plays 17 hours a day. I hosted it on a private server and played with friends and that was fun since the only enemies were the scientists and you could base build/loot without worrying.

My thing with Rust is that it's just Lord of the Flies online, and so any gameplay on the server boils down to lowest common denominator. Maybe you just want to gently caress around and do stupid poo poo but 95% of the rest of the player base will just KOS and wipe out your goofy fun base just to be assholes. So you have to either grind your rear end off like you mentioned or put stupid hours into it to get good, and all that time is spent with one of the most toxic playerbases out there. And the end result is that you can run around crushing casual players instead (at least until a 20 man zerg shows up and wipes the server). It's not worth playing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The idea of Rust is really appealing to me, and I wish it had a purely PVE/survival mode, but there's not even remotely enough content to enjoy if you're not fighting other people, and fighting other people tends to suck. Makes for really fun cinematic youtube videos from creators who know how to weave a good narrative, but it's not a good time and I really wish that it was.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I kind of wish one of those Rust-style games had seasons or something pushing cycles of plenty and base building into a murderous&scarce winter where you have more natural incentives to kill/not kill people. Or tied murder to a day-night cycle instead of spawning mobs like terraria or Minecraft.

I kind of like the idea of these games but not the idea of the constant singular source of tension.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LordSloth posted:

I kind of wish one of those Rust-style games had seasons or something pushing cycles of plenty and base building into a murderous&scarce winter where you have more natural incentives to kill/not kill people. Or tied murder to a day-night cycle instead of spawning mobs like terraria or Minecraft.

I kind of like the idea of these games but not the idea of the constant singular source of tension.

Icarus kind of has this with periodic storms where anyone caught outside in them is, at least at the start of the game, advised to go inside and sleep

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ark is best played on a private server with friends and 10x or more taming speeds, no decay, and so on. I really enjoyed getting together with friends in an evening and finally downing and taming a high level quetzal, then defending it in the complete rear end end of nowhere where it dropped, but only for a few minutes not the 6 hours or some bullshit that default values are.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I would like to give props to the Vintage Story dev or devs, they're very forgiving on their return policy. I played the game, I sunk a good five or six hours into it, I got to the stage of the game where I was making clay pottery stuff but I was still extremely primitive. It was at this point I realised the game wasn't for me, so I shot an email to the devs and they refunded the game despite the fact I had purchased it two weeks prior and probably had more than six hours clocked (from leaving it idle).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Ark is best played on a private server with friends and 10x or more taming speeds, no decay, and so on. I really enjoyed getting together with friends in an evening and finally downing and taming a high level quetzal, then defending it in the complete rear end end of nowhere where it dropped, but only for a few minutes not the 6 hours or some bullshit that default values are.

Yeah, before ARK became unplayable for me due to their awful optimization, this exact scenario was a hugely enjoyable event. Second best was taking on alphas as a team while it tried to kill us.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

A bit of an odd suggestion since it's nothing like the games listed, but Card Survival is my favorite survival game. Very heavy emphasis on the survival elements, it's basically a great simulation of being stranded on a desert island. Build up a camp, and furnish it with things to help you survive easier. No enemies but animals and drought is the true adversary.

Unreal World is another great game, you vs. starvation and the elements.

Both games are relatively simplistic in presentation but are surprisingly deep.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Card Survival is a great game and there's a mobile version so it travels well. Thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041213

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OneTwentySix posted:

A bit of an odd suggestion since it's nothing like the games listed, but Card Survival is my favorite survival game. Very heavy emphasis on the survival elements, it's basically a great simulation of being stranded on a desert island. Build up a camp, and furnish it with things to help you survive easier. No enemies but animals and drought is the true adversary.

Unreal World is another great game, you vs. starvation and the elements.

Both games are relatively simplistic in presentation but are surprisingly deep.

Can vouch for Unreal World, it's one of my all time favorite games. It exists in something like its current survival form since 1996, I played it since 2004 (2.80), and it's still in active development (3.82)! You have to be able to look past its very old school UI - things have been improving since the days of old though, but in the end it's a turn based keyboard game with some mouse support and LOTS of shortcuts to remember and is a far cry from, well, the last decade of games.

Also, if you're not feeling like paying 10bux sight unseen, you can download a previous, but still relatively recent, version for free on their website's download section and see if you can get along with it, then get it on steam if it grabs you and you want to have the latest patch and support the two devs :v:

I gotta try Card Survival because it looks like it scratches the very same itch, but I remember trying the demo and bouncing off it for some reason...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 4, 2024

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

TorakFade posted:

Can vouch for Unreal World, it's one of my all time favorite games. It exists in something like its current survival form since 1996, I played it since 2004 (2.80), and it's still in active development (3.81)! You have to be able to look past its very old school UI - things have been improving since the days of old though, but in the end it's a turn based keyboard game with some mouse support and LOTS of shortcuts to remember and is a far cry from, well, the last decade of games.

I gotta try Card Survival because it looks like it scratches the very same itch, but I remember trying the demo and bouncing off it for some reason...

I still never want to learn if the spells/rituals you do in Unreal World actually do anything or are just placebos. I'll be damned if I know whether throwing back the first catch of the season into the river actually does anything, but by god Imma do it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jawnycat posted:

I still never want to learn if the spells/rituals you do in Unreal World actually do anything or are just placebos. I'll be damned if I know whether throwing back the first catch of the season into the river actually does anything, but by god Imma do it.

Sleeping on road tiles definitely gave you nightmares back in (much) earlier versions, not sure if that changed with more recent ones. There were also those "feeling safe/feeling unsafe" messages that I can't recall having anymore but I might be wrong, haven't played much recently - what I know is that when I was playing just a year or so ago I had an eerie encounter on a rapids tile at night with a sort of old fishman but nothing much happened besides it swimming around then disappearing, it was a once off sort of thing, never caught it again. The spirits definitely exist and judge you in some ways that are inscrutable but rarely show themselves directly, maybe eating some of those psychedelic mushrooms you found earlier might make you learn more about it :hmmyes: don't eat mushrooms you haven't properly identified. Ever, not even a little bit. But there actually is a psychedelic kind of mushroom in game and you can trip balls :shroom:

And that is one of the many reasons I love UrW to death :allears:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 4, 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vib Rib posted:

The idea of Rust is really appealing to me, and I wish it had a purely PVE/survival mode, but there's not even remotely enough content to enjoy if you're not fighting other people, and fighting other people tends to suck. Makes for really fun cinematic youtube videos from creators who know how to weave a good narrative, but it's not a good time and I really wish that it was.

Yea this is why I tried out The Front and Sunkenland because I could get something similar to Rust but not have to deal with public servers. I don't know why Rust doesn't have a Single Player?

Speaking of sunkenland, getting a boat was the best thing, even the rinky dink paddleboat is a huge improvement over swimming everywhere. Not long does it get you places faster, it has storage so you can loot places in one trip rather than multiple trips. This enabled me to get a gun, which was a game changer. Though enemies are really hard to see sometimes. The weirdest mechanic about Sunkenland is to put up objects is you need to have a box equipped. Weird.

Gromit posted:

I've been playing this with a couple of friends lately and the insects make it really creepy and interesting.

Yea the bugs are really well made and jesus christ can scare the crap out of you if you're not careful.

I was checking out upcomming ones and Nightingale looks really nifty. You want survival in Bloodborne? You got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want to like Dysmantle because it scratches the part of my brain that wants to loot everything and it's somewhat similar to a "survival" kind of game in that you collect stuff to make stuff and upgrade stuff but afaik there's no base building since its about breaking things down in the name, but I guess it'd be an honorable mention?