Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Depending where you spawn, TLD can be very hard to get into. Freeplay is an absolutely brutal introduction to the basic mechanics of the game, and I actually tried and deleted it twice before I finally read a starter guide, got to a cabin with some basic supplies and really got into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Definitely do that escape-the-bear challenge. That thing is a huge rear end in a top hat. Don't read up on how to do it either, because there are ways you can cheese it. Play it blind.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Bunnies are mobile emergency field rations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Love to have to escape out of the fire menu to eat / drink what i made, still have to guess whether the fire will go out mid-cook, real good design there guys. Huge improvement.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

TomViolence posted:

I'm having real trouble with wolves, none of the poo poo that used to scare them off seems to be working and even when I do manage to fight them off or scare them off they return near instantly. Is there a trick to them or are they just bullshit?
they're total bullshit but there are a few things that can help if you know about it:

If they are staring at you, growling and stalking, just ignore them and walk away. They won't charge unless they get within around 25 feet and they'll stalk at 40 range or so just walk at an angle or away from them. You'll eventually get outside their "leash" range and they'll give up.

There isn't any reason to "scare" them out of stalking mode; they won't attack unless provoked by walking towards them. DO NOT aim a weapon at them if they are in stalk mode, they will immediately charge because they are actually psychic wolves and know exactly what weapons are (including the flare pistol and bow).

If they do bark then charge you, that's when you can scare them off with fire / flare which will interrupt the charge if it's fire-based and they are far enough away. Watch out, they WILL juke when you aim.

If they charge, you can also start sprinting away and then hit I think either 3 or 4 you'll drop meat or gut if you're carrying it. They'll sometimes just go for the meat.

Meiteron posted:

Man I really wanted to like TLD, I did. But episode 2 has really lost me.

The first two missions of the episode 2 I thought were great, each giving you a general destination and then leaving you to find your way there and back while worrying about your own resources. The plot thing of the aurora coming out at night and having to avoid wolf packs by standing in the suddenly working flood lamps I actually thought was pretty cool. So I was jamming on this episode through all of that.

But then you get back to the npc after those missions, a full ~3 hours since episode 2 starts and maybe 10 hours since you left the tutorial in episode 1, and suddenly it's tutorial time again. Worse, it's tutorials that cover either stuff you figured out on your own hours ago, or stuff the game already put into a tutorial in the first loving episode.

Are you seriously asking me to do this? Repair clothing, like I haven't had to keep my gear repaired with the dozen sewing kits already provided to me. Harvest deer, like I haven't had a rifle for two hours of play and exiting the building where you get it puts you directly in front of a deer herd (or, you know, looked at any of the randomly spawned deer corpses that you could harvest from). Fishing I could sort of see the point of sticking in a main mission, but even basic exploration will walk you past the fishing huts multiple times before this point and they even helpfully put a hunting knife next to the very first fishing hole you could reach. Then you're expected to go collect the various plant resources as if the game had not already made you collect rosehips and use them 10 minutes into the game, before letting you out of the opening area.

Not to mention that of those tasks, two of them are "collect (x) kg of (resource) and put it in this box", which is exactly what you had to do, twice, in the first episode. So now I'm legitimately concerned that maybe they don't have the variety of content for these episodes that you would expect for a story-based survival game, if we are already padding time like this.

I think the problem, for me anyway, is that they eased up of the difficulty of playing too much and that makes the pacing problems more obvious. Both episodes seem to shower you with a lot more food and clothing then I remember. There's always one fire near the npcs that never goes out. I remember doing the final hike to end episode 1 wondering if I'd brought enough supplies for the trip (I had) before running into a camp with food and firewood placed helpfully on the linear path you were following. Once I got established in the little town in episode 1 I've always been on top of all my survival needs ever since, and never had the sense that I was walking a tightrope balancing my various meters like the best parts of survival mode. Without having to worry about food, water, or wildlife, the game is essentially just a very, very thin story, too spread out between a lot of walking.
This has been my experience with wintermute so far as well, I accidentally selected the "plants" version after the repair coat one and not only is the amount to be gathered ridiculous (8 old man's beard?!) but it doesn't suggest where to go and it doesn't seem to be tracking my plant pickups properly. I had cleaned out the beard location at the lake before I started the quest and of course those don't count either.

I also have way, way more food/fuel/material than I can ever use so it's now a combo of tedious + boring to do it. Only a couple chapters are complete so I'll probably just come back to it once the others are released. At least in chapter 2 there's a box outside the door you can use to store stuff!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 7, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I love TLD but honestly if story mode was just a bunch of those challenges stuck end-to-end and the dev time was spent on more "end-game" pursuits I would have been more happy. Once you're decked out in furs and arrows and have 20,000 kcals of meat on the back porch what else are you supposed to do, ya know? You've "won".

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

Re: The rope. Is it very obvious from afar to see where you can potentially put it? Or do i have to shove my nose in every rock-face to look for a prompt?

It's not super obvious but there's a man-sized boulder next to / behind a climbing sign.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

bobsmyuncle posted:

I just read that Auroras don't even happen in story mode until after you kill the bear. I've been scouring Forlorn Muskeg for supplies for my little camp next to the hatch, wearing out my knife and hatchet, forging new ones, patiently awaiting an Aurora that will never come. :cripes:
Huh? I thought they were coded to start after you go into the building to fix his rifle, you get a flashlight and it shows the light mechanic with wolves and streetlights.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Coolguye posted:

yeah, that entire story piece is kind of awesome if you do the precise DUMBEST thing you could possibly do and walk straight at the wolves. yes, game, you've spent the last 10 hours drilling into me that wolves will gently caress me up and are bad news - my first idea when i see a wolf that's all creepy and glowing and poo poo is TOTALLY to walk straight toward it!

or you can show you've got two brain cells to rub together to make a spark, say 'naw dawg', and walk back inside for a comfortable 8 hour nap until those stupid mutts aren't a problem anymore. you almost certainly don't have the clothes to go strolling around in the night anyway by that point, so why the hell bother?
If they had introduced any urgency whatsoever to the main plot you might have a reason to risk a nighttime excursion. Since it took you a week to get out of the crevice and at least a week to do all the mother missions, that urgency got quashed by time you get to the hunter. I went outside because I wanted to see what was making the cool green glow through the windows.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got darkwood and it seems pretty cool except that I'm stuck in the little corner of the forest and need key codes to go west, north, or into the wedding. Also need a shovel to excavate the tunnel but I can't figure out where to get the 'stick' part of it sooooo I'm on like day 7 with nothing to do.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Really? I followed the river into a destroyed building with a dresser I could move and a destroyed generator and nothing else. I'm going to restart because I didn't realize I couldn't back out of the traits/perks screen without being forced to take one and frankly I like the darkness. I scoured the wedding but didn't find the photo. All the drat guides for the alpha and the game has significantly changed on release. Annoying!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

Thats WEST

WEST

GO EAAAAAST
LIFE IS PEACEFUL THERE (no you are going to die)
The map is random every time :ssh:

There's a combo lock on the door and I don't know where to get the code.. same with the cellar to the safehouse and the house in the woods.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got through! There doesn't seem to be a penalty for getting murdered during the night which is good because I am dead awful at combat.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The long dark challenges are where it's at, survival mode is just stockpile food and sit in one place: the sim. I made it to around a hundred days before i got bored, had multiple bears of meat, a full fur clothing say, dozens of doses of every tea, the works. Like a real disaster, the only challenge i couldn't defeat was boredom and loneliness

The challenges though, they're tough, have a specific goal and most importantly require you to move around a lot. The only bad thing is there's no adjustable difficulty.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Darkwood:

Melee combat is going to be immensely frustrating. You can walk backwards and sideways to dodge dogs long enough to smack them but the timing is tricky. It only gets harder from there. Use traps.

Make and keep a lantern equipped during the day in new areas, shiny rocks will glint and sell for $$$. Lanterns last 1-2 days if your manage equipping it.

Don't cook on the stove until the second or third house, if ever

You don't have to run the generator in the first safehouse if you don't use the stove so just sit quietly in the dark rearranging your workbench inventory

Answer the knock at night

Dying at night seems to have no adverse effects, don't sweat it

Make and sell torches for money, don't let that vendor go away with empty inv spots

Someone here said to hoard nails and boards and you do need them but you can go overboard, i have so much stuff i have nowhere to put it

Make a pistol asap and buy magazines, they aren't that expensive since you get 6 shots for 40ish, and if you are bad at melee this is a must. The pistol is the most cost efficient weapon by far.

You only need one pistol (and other weapons) and it never gets damaged so sell parts you don't need.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 15, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

Would people here recommend buying The Forest?
It's a kinda fun, half-finished game.

You can build yourself a little home but there are monsters (cannibals) about pretty much always. It styles itself a survival game but it's really not since about 3/4ths of the game and all the goodies to loot takes place in this enormous cave system you find and are supposed to gradually explore full of jumpscares and combat and a lot of darkness. It's almost entirely fighting cannibals while exploring and very light on the base building aspect because there isn't a huge reason to (also it attracts cannibals).

Like a lot of "survival" games, the first quarter of the game is dedicated to not starving but once you make a decent home base you're pretty much done with survival and it's more focused on exploration and combat. There's no end game last I played so I'm waiting for it to bake some more.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah I would have really liked a softer experience, it's just not fun to replay the same game over and over. I consider myself good at survival games but I wasn't able to live long enough to build anything magic. I think a faster travel mechanic was needed as well, in that game, distance to things really limits you and half the crafting is concentrated on making a base but all the items require exploration.

If they had a mode where you start with some bees and web a bunch of wood and you ran 200% faster on roads I'd have probably played it more.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hey I played subterrain. Don't play or buy this game. I'm spoiling this because gently caress this game I'm mad as hell.

I spent 20 hours fighting against the infestation clock and the last quarter of it was a slog but I figured the game was almost over so I'd deal with it. FINALLY researched that nav chip, YAY. That was a mostly fun game, right? A bit grindy but oh well.

So you get off planet in a shuttle but the space station shoots you down because you don't identify yourself (???) and you crash land back on the planet but this time in a secret mansion where there's some plot poo poo about the head guy and your coworker made this apology letter and an infection cure. There's this door that will open once infection is at 0% globally. So you have to do this long research and go back and install purifiers in every single place all while the infection is going at 5x pace, then leave them there for an entire day while they charge up.

So that took me another 5-6 hours of game play to do, with a bunch of farming because the filters were expensive (biomass, specifically). And 6 tram trips around trying to speed time forward So with THAT complete I can finally go to the door and it opens and there's... a final boss? He's huge and basically unstoppable and even with max weapons and gear I couldn't dent him after trying for over an hour. He just gets faster and faster. I look online and you're supposed to come equipped with max researched healthkits and +speed, but uh well I never researched those because biomass was so precious the entire game.

And now because infection is at 0% I can't get any more materials to do it. I look on the wiki and find there's a second, stronger boss after the first, say gently caress this game and uninstall. What a loving waste of 30 hours.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 2, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That's why I never got into urw, the amount of effort just to do basic stuff combined with permadeath really turned me off.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They picked up a bunch of devs from the implosion of telltale studios.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I play the long dark for the quiet solitude of the frozen forest and having someone alive and really obnoxious just ruins it for me.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

The Long Dark's just released an update including a revamp of Story Mode. I haven't played it yet, but there's some nice-looking changes that apply to survival mode too - the condition indicator HUD defaults to always on(although you can turn it off if you want), there's a Well Fed buff to incentivize not doing the "don't eat except just enough to recover condition right before sleeping" thing, and apparently you can initiate cooking and boiling water from the fire/stove menu like you could before the cooking overhaul.

And there's a rabbitskin hat now, to complete your crafting fashion options.
I've been completely rehooked on TLD. The campaign remake isn't a huge difference except that the crafting quests are on a side quest screen and automatically unlock when you capture a rabbit and such. It was worth playing again for completion bit it was too easy even on hard mode.

I got drawn back into survival mode though!

I really like the new cooking system (you cook in a pot or empty can, you can do other stuff while water boils / food cooks) and they also added a moose satchel (+5 lbs) and the well fed buff (the same) at some point so I'm doing that interloper run I always wanted to do.

I'll declare victory once i have a full crafted fur gear and a bunch of calories.

It really is the perfect podcast game. Some people like elite dangerous, i like snow trudge simulator.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 26, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Zerilan posted:

Going to finally start playing more TLD, but don't really know if I want to go through the story stuff since it sounds kind of bad. Any really useful poo poo I should know going in on sandbox or scenario modes?
Something new and non-obvious is that you can cook meat in pans instead of on the campfire rock and they give you a bonus to cooking time (maybe 50% less?). Sadly they weigh 1lb each so they're not exactly portable. Drinking coffee immediately increases your tiredness meter by 20% and also cuts the tiredness while sprinting by 50%. Herbal tea doubles your HP recovery when sleeping. You can be freezing for quite a while without permanent harm. If you're low on calories, only eat before you sleep, you need 750 calories for 10 hours. You can hit escape at any time while eating/drinking to stop.

The scenarios are still fresh, if you haven't done them all they are still really fun.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 31, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Interloper is legitimately difficult, even when you know exactly what to do. You can only scavenge so fast and curing and crafting gear takes days and days. I'm day 40 at the moment and the weather just gets colder and colder; I can barely keep adding enough clothes to be slightly cold out and can only travel in the latter half of the daytime now, assuming it isn't blizzarding. I'm still hanging in there and actually landed a bear but haven't seen a moose yet. I have no idea how you're supposed to kill a bear without abusing pathing or porches. I started in pleasant valley (this place is a freezing deathtrap on interloper), scavenged and made my tools and bow and cleared coastal highway and desolation point on the way. I made carter dam my main base and cleared mystery lake, crafted up my mittens, hood, pants, boots, and am waiting for pelts to dry for the wolf coat. I'm headed down to mountain town to clear that and expect to get back to mystery lake on day 50.

Wolf AI is a bit silly once you know exactly what to do; if you're having trouble (warning, this ruins verisimilitude):
They growl and run/close to about 15m, will pause there for like 6 seconds, then attack. They'll also attack if they end up within about 10 feet of you (you walk towards them). They immediately attack if you aim a gun or bow. They can smell you from a far distance if you're carrying gut/meat/hide. You walk/run away from them and don't stop for more than 6 seconds. They'll endlessly stalk you and growl a lot but that's pretty much it. You can ignore them all the way to your destination.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Verviticus posted:

a wolf thats in attack range will jump you, even if you're walking away. it might take a slightly longer time, but unless you have a torch out its just a matter of rolling some rng or something
Yeah but if you continue walking, it's always in "closing" range because it stalks slightly slower than you you walk. At least for me, maybe I'm really lucky with rng?

I've used snares before in single player just to get the quest and they're super obnoxious. As I recall, snares were added way back before you could throw stones at them (and before that neck snapping animation), so they're not overly useful and never got a redesign pass. You definitely have to wait 10 hours or so for it to potentially catch a rabbit, so yeah just get good at throwing. I still don't have that stone age sniper achievement though.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 2, 2019

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

It's me, I'm the person who uses snares because I can't aim rocks worth a poo poo. :saddowns:
you can throw while crouched and can sneak right up to them; they won't run until they literally touch you.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Snares are insane because rabbits are the first thing you should be hunting but in order to make a snare you need cured gut. They really need a rework.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

CuddleCryptid posted:

What do people do when they reach the "hunker dowm" section? Just Pass Time? I feel compelled to keep wandering around getting wood when I'm waiting for things to dry despite the fact that I am well stocked on everything I would need for several days.

Ended up biting me in the rear end because I was overzealous and didn't ensure my infection from hunting a wolf I didn't need to kill was cured before going to bed. RIP that well stocked run
Boil water, make tea, cook meat, repair clothes, craft things like arrows, collect more wood, harvest cattails, do a day trip to locally scrounge, read a book to skillup.

Often i wake up too early, as fooling around in base doesn't drain much tiredness so things you can also do in darkness: prepare hips/shrooms, sharpen weapons, break down/harvest old clothes I save for that time.

Sometimes several days isn't enough, might as well stock what you can when you can because crafting a full set of gear is something like a week+ of time.

This is where a too easy difficulty gets you, if you don't feel on the knife's edge you may need to bump it up.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 14, 2019

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

AlbertFlasher posted:

Holy poo poo! 700 days? I barely make it past 30 before I restart.
You've got basically 60 days before it becomes too cold to travel. Then you just survive as long as possible on the hoarded rations you were able to collect and the nearby wildlife. 700 is a bit silly and repetitive, but still an accomplishment because drat interloper is legitimately hard even when you know what you're doing, ab(use) stuff like cooking 1kg meals with torches for faster levelups and deece clothing is really hard to find.

You also have to have the entire route planned in advance due to the crazy time limit and of course meeting just one wolf is likely death.

Kinda curious what your route is and how many caches you made because i wasnt ever able to make it to day 100 (what most consider a victory)

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 27, 2019

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
To survive on the higher difficulties in TLD you have to know and abuse the mechanics pretty fiercely. There are janky things you can do with hot liquids and stuff (drinking a tiny amount gives you the +10c buff, drinking a tiny amount of coffee and having the buff last just long enough to sprint your stamina empty) and yeah wolves are basically death unless you know exactly how to handle them (and ignorable when you do). For example you can always just keep walking away and they won't attack for a long time as long as they're moving.

TLD episode 3 revamped the wolf mechanics for the campaign mode and made it feel really artificial but I don't know if those changes made it into the sandbox mode.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
She reveals what's in the briefcase late in episode 3 and it loses a little impact when set against the grander backdrop of the collapse and the aurora:

The people in the city are sick/dying and the briefcase holds either the cure or something close to it. She has relatives/friends in the city and was developing the cure on the side using her lab's resources, she presumably made a breakthrough, ditched work and contacted her ex to get him to fly her out there.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 2, 2019

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Did no one tell the green hell developer that you shouldn't expect the player to go around shoving strange unidentified mushrooms into their mouth at the first opportunity?

Cool game but man you're gonna die over and over in the first 15 mins of the game unless you're glued to the wiki. I literally could not find water because the coconut shell out in the rain was not explained to me, nor was soup.

I love the graphics and inventory display but it's got a really weird specific narrow view of a scrounging survival game.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I tried that Empyrion - Galactic Survival game. They weren't kidding about the "Alpha" even though it's been in development for years? It's one of the most alpha games I've ever played. The tutorials are outdated, the UI is aggressively obtuse, and it's got that problem of "dying while trying to get your bearings" that all survival games seem to have. "You've got a broken leg and your health is ticking down, the creature that caused it is still attacking you, and your PDA menus don't stop time so good luck figuring out how to perform emergency surgery before you bite it! Also you're on the edge of starving to death because you can't find a specific plant you need that provides food, the tutorial tells you to craft something you haven't unlocked yet and didn't explain how to unlock things, I literally had to google how to place my motorcycle from a a motorcycle kit because "intermediate materials" and "final" ones are nested in tiny unexplained icons in the corner of the screen, and once you finally get on it holy poo poo the motorcycle is baaaaaaad with a turning radius of approximately 2 miles, no brakes, and a lawnmower engine that struggles to get up a 5 degree incline.

Also, I fell through a hole in the world. I see some potential but this thing needs to stay in the oven for a good long while and wow do they need a "for new players" and "tutorial" development pass. Also removal of half the items and systems in the game, they are completely pointless. Why are there 4-5 different multi-tool-like items, all doing the same thing but for different block/item types? Why is there some complex tech tree where you have to pay to unlock every single block? Yuck. A lot of these systems seem to be designed to make the first few hours of the game tedious and then are never used again.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 11, 2019

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the sewing kit thing was explicitly fixed in the hotfix, the wolf thing is just the new behavior since the last chapter came out.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They removed fluffy so there really aren't any jump scares anymore. You can hear animals from very far away, especially bears and wolves. I believe there is a single remaining jumpscare in the game but it's in hushed river valley, a very end-game region that you don't even see in the campaign mode.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I also enjoyed green hell, the two things I wish I had known going in are

* unlike real life, it's fine to stuff any random mushroom you find into your face hole (with a single exception)
* coconuts can be used by breaking them open and then manually placing the empty halves on the ground

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Stationeers needed more of an end-game and a reason to visit and colonize all the planets. It needed a way to take materials through the artifacts and it needed a better inventory management than "dig a hole in the ground" or "Fiddly mess of end-game robotic arms". More reason to actually explore would be cool, even if it was like, lore tablets or something. And a bigger backpack. I get the scarcity but during the mid-end game you just want to bypass it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

beats for junkies posted:

After typing up this whole post, I'm wondering if you've possibly mixed up Stationeers with some other very-similarly-named game (or maybe played a much-earlier version). There seem to be quite a few, and as much as I love this game, I can never remember if it's called Stationeers, Astroneers, or Space Engineers (and of those 3, I only own Stationeers). If you do, in fact, mean https://store.steampowered.com/app/544550/Stationeers/, then I guess we're just looking for different things in our survival/crafting/building games, or at least this one. :)
Yeah, I was thinking of Astroneers. Astroneers needed to be able to take vehicles through the artifacts and more of a reason to explore all the planets!

Stationeers looks like a low-budget space engineers with a better UI, I don't own it (yet)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
e: nm, asking in the management thread instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

About how far did you get, and what put you off it? I'm only on Day 12 but that's the farthest I've gotten, and I'm really in love with the exploration of it, digging through ruined houses and factories for treasures and supplies, and even as simple as that is it tends to be what gets most of my attention. It's mindlessly enjoyable, and the only real thinking I have to do is on horde night. I do think the game badly needs a teleport or fast travel system, though, with as big as the maps are. Maybe I just need a vehicle.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Vehicles, even just a bicycle, are a massive game changer IMO. The mini bike is all you really ever need and anything beyond that is just luxury.
You might consider it cheaty but you can just deal with the hordes by slowly biking around until night ends instead of being in one place trying to fight them off. It's how most people survived on multiplayer servers back when I played.