Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm trying to get into The Forest but goddamn if it isn't somehow the most unnerving game I've ever played. Maybe it's the way the cannibals are completely silent before they attack...or that they're so unpredictable when they do. I love all the Ewok Village stuff you can build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mycroft Holmes posted:

is there a good post apocalyptic survival game that isn't neo scavenger or cataclysm?

With minimal sarcasm, Fallout 4 in survival mode. Or New Vegas similarly. Gotta eat and drink on top of other stuff you do.

The upcoming Metro game maybe?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

I have been playing hard survival with a friend recently and the game got substantially easier when I finally “got” headshots with the bow. Every cannibal goes down instantly to a headshot so as long as you don’t run out of stamina and you are patient you can wait for the right moment to perforate a skull with zero real risk to you.

caveat: offer not applicable in caves.

I've been getting much more into the Forest. For some reason on my "finally getting the hang of it" run I managed to not die at all for hours...which was problematic because when they knock you out they put you right in front of the only map in the game so I got pretty lost and had to put lots of stick markers everywhere.

Funniest thing I did so far was build a very big and long zipline going down a hill. I probably shouldn't have built it at night because I didn't realize that I had built its terminus at a small cliff heading into a forest, so when I went down it I built up so much momentum I went flying face-first into a tree before falling a bit. Haha.

Turns out the stuff that you can't "farm" respawns after a few days, like cloth in luggage and other modern goodies. Got the climbing axe too. Now I just have to get down into that sinkhole and finish this without dying.

How good is the stuff the 1.10 addition added, like gliders and shell rollercoasters?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, it was on sale, so I checked out "DESOLATE" on steam. It's, uh... it really wishes it was STALKER. Russian location, russian developers I believe, weird world full of mutants and spacial anomalies and hallucinations and crazy guys. It's very obviously only made by a couple of people though. While the art is okay, the animation for everything is terrible. Still. Not too bad if you can get it at a discount.

I like how there's a dedicated "throw a rock" button so you can throw a rock at an anomaly to see if it does something bad to the rock.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

I've never played it but green hell is advertised like that. Not sure of the games quality though. Afaik no supernatural elements but very hard.

Green Hell advertises that it simulates every single organ in your body's function and all the various ways you can fall ill because of it. Not sure if the game is actually GOOD but hey.

Got to the end of The Forest. Kind of takes a turn in the last part, but a good turn. Creepy as hell. Loved it. And hey, beating it unlocks Creative Mode! Nice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wow, there's a post-game goodie in The Forest. An artifact that can be switched to "glows blue" or "glows red" for repelling or attracting cannibals and mutants. If you stick it in the ground it has a wide area-effect, if you just hold it in your hand it's more localized...and the cannibals growl at you frustratedly that they can't bring themselves to get closer to you. Love it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

No, but there is a peaceful mode which turns off almost all monsters in the game. The disturbing visuals and everything are still there, and you will still want weapons to hunt wildlife, you just won’t have to deal with improbable numbers of angry cannibals and mutants everywhere.

e: also I got ICY on Zoe’s suggestion last week and she is correct, game is good. Wish I could find more medicine though, fights are pretty rough in that game.

And once you beat the game you also unlock "creative" mode for just endlessly building stuff if you want to experiment with ziplines and catapults.

By the way: it may not have FOOD crafting but Astroneer is absolutely about surviving on an alien planet by always being tethered to an oxygen supply, and it just came out in 1.0 with a lot of changes from its past self. Pretty good so far. It has one feature I wish was in every such crafting game: being able to turn the soil you're not using into common resources by centrifuging out the useful trace minerals.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Speedball posted:

Green Hell advertises that it simulates every single organ in your body's function and all the various ways you can fall ill because of it. Not sure if the game is actually GOOD but hey.

I was dead wrong back when I said this, it was SCUM I was thinking of, where they simulate the function of every organ. Still not sure if that means anything.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Astroneer has changed significantly upon release. It is somewhat less grindy than I thought it would be, though research items have been nerfed in quantity (you can get just as much by just plugging in minerals to your research station though, if you don't mind wasting resources). It seems there is now an actual goal besides just dicking around on the alien planet; I've found some weird monoliths that require a lot of power to activate.

And blasting off to another planet just changed the game entirely. Before, I was on a verdant earthlike planet with plenty of space to build and lots of wind and sunlight for easy power (and a base shelter that generated a tiny bit of its own power so I was never out). Now I'm on a moon with a very short day/night cycle and no atmosphere, so no wind generators (and the solar generators are feast-or-famine naturally) but it has resources the first planet didn't.

Additional complication in the form of how much more cratered this biome is, making travel trickier. I suppose I could try to carve a path through all the mountains between craters, but there's no easy solutions here. Oh, and I did do something I've never done before, make a resource train by hooking a bunch of trailers up to a truck and rolling around to deliver stuff (your base inventory is pretty limited).

Looks like they got rid of the "vehicle bay" fabricator and just put vehicles into the other fabrication machine slots.

And you can slide downhill on natural slopes or on slopes you made yourself. Makes getting to the bottom of caves a lot faster and more fun, heh.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The bow does decent damage, and all headshots WILL kill cannibals. The starting twig bow you get isn't so hot, though, compared to a thrown spear or the late-game Modern Bow. I do wish there was a reticle, but instead you're expected to practice with a bullseye to figure our where to shoot.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Resources seem to get you 100 bytes. Research balls on the starting planet are usually 360 but can be higher.

But research balls on other planets yield multiple thousands of bytes. Not sure if research keeps going if you leave the planet, though.

ah, I found out where the REAL research bonanzas are: inside "research assistance pods" which have a minor puzzle like plugging power into them, plugging enough power all at once, or providing a specific resource. They pop open and a researchable object worth 1-several thousand bytes is in there.

Looks like planets also all have these big alien teleporters dotted around them now, including one in the planet core. Now that should be interesting.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, that's interesting, I didn't know ECO had a hard time limit of a month if you don't stop the asteroid. I did know about how robust its environment models were. Interesting.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, there's a new one out on Steam, "Fade to Silent" that has you fight weird ghost monsters and also you can have a DOG SLED. I'm sorely tempted to get this just for the dog sled.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They may not be first-person scavenging games like everything else in this thread but I'd wager that the city-builders Frostpunk and Surviving Mars both count as "survival" games because you're always short on whatever it is you need to not die. (and for that matter, Frostpunk's developer's predecessor, This War Of Mine). Indeed there's still a bit of scavenging going around in both games as you have to grab whatever junk you can find in Frostpunk without freezing your poor workers to death and you have to scour the surface of Mars for metals in a rover if your mines start running out of deposits, because just building stuff is not enough, you have to *maintain* it with more resources.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haifisch posted:

I played a bit of Frostpunk, and ignoring the bit where it's the only game I've played that chugged like hell in the loading screen, I'm under the impression that you're kind of hosed if you don't do the exact optimal things(including picking the correct government options) early on.

Which is fine, I've gladly played other games like that, but it kind of ruins the illusion of your choices mattering all that much. Which is kind of lame when that's something the game is trying to pretend matters.

Nah, actually you can make "wrong" decisions all the time. Some of the buildings and whatnot help you overcome the other "bad" decisions. There's more leeway there than you might think. What pisses some people off might help them survive or vice versa, but you can usually compensate. If you decide to do some radical triage and amputate some frostbitten limbs you can get prosthetics later, or dumping bodies in a frozen pit might let you later on use those frozen organs for organ transplants, even if the pit depresses people more than a proper gravesite.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

NatasDog posted:

This War of Mine was easily one of my favorite indie games of the past few years. It really scratches some survival/scroller/atmospheric itch I didn't know I had. Soo many hours dumped into that game and its expansion/story mode.

Yeah, and your survivors in that have a hidden sanity meter that goes down if you do questionable stuff like stealing from the nice old couple who have plenty of food...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

I've probably played most of the usual suspects but I'm still wondering whether I missed a game or two. I like games where you're not necessarily surviving enemies but elements (think The Long Dark most of the time), you can bootstrap yourself in various ways (Cataclysm) and/or go from scavenging/foraging to more advanced tools and technologies (Rimworld). I want to build a house near a river and build a simple hydro plant on it and live like a hermit, just not in real life :v:

Yeah, this is why I suggested Frostpunk and Surviving Mars, the freakin' weather will destroy you more than anything else.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tried out a bit of Green Hell. Graphics are pretty great but having just come off The Forest I am struck by how needlessly complex some of the systems in Green Hell are, like having to drag your mouse around to inspect every side of your limbs for damage, or that there are FOUR nutrition meters you have to check with a wristwatch. Plus the notebook does not immediately cut to you building stuff in front of you blueprint-style like the Forest does, it's just a...cheat sheet and you have to move two or three menus over to build stuff. I'm sure some simulation junkies will love that, but it seems to get in the way of me having fun building treehouses. Your mileage may vary, of course...

Supposedly you actually do go crazy in Green Hell if you don't take care of your mind, you hear voices and crap. I dunno. I might sleep on this one till later this year. Thank god for Steam Refunds...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Astroneer is pretty great. Certain minerals and gasses you need for crafting are only found on certain planets, so you need to fly around a lot. It's cute and good.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Astroneer is pretty good right now. It was already considered feature-complete at launch and since then they've added QOL like jump thrusters and, as of yesterday, paving tools for your rovers so you can roll around evening out the ground.

Space Engineers I've been curious about.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

So has anybody checked out Green Hell? Its on sale on steam and I'm curious if its worth jumping on especially compared to The Forest.

It's a lot more complicated, interface-wise and design-wise. You have like three separate nutrition meters on top of hydration to keep track of. You have to manually twist your arms and legs around to check for wounds. The backpack interface is not quite as smooth either I think. So I checked it out for about a couple of hours...it felt a lot harder a learning curve than The Forest. But it *was* pretty, I'll give it that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

explosivo posted:

As if I didn't have enough poo poo to play right now I saw that Astroneer just updated with some cool new vehicles like a vtol and hoverboard. I never went back to that game after they added the machinery stuff and always meant to but I keep finding other stuff instead.

Astroneer's new hoverboard and vtol are both great but the game has other tricks up its sleeve in the new content update. They populated the worlds with boxes you need to blow up with dynamite (fortunately, dynamite is now commonly found around various wreckages now) and that puts out this thing called an "Exo Chip" which is what is now needed to build the top-tier stuff as well as the new vehicles.

There's a quest system called a "Mission Log" which is what lets you unlock the hoverboard and vtol and while it acts as a mini-tutorial or guided experience on how to get through the game it also offers nice rewards like a few things you can get earlier than you could before, like a free hydrazine thruster for your rocket once you synthesize hydrazine the first time.

There is also a new extremely useful item that is (mostly) only found by either doing missions or blowing up boxes, the "QT-RTG" which is like an RTG except it fits in a small slot and you can have one on your backpack at all times. This lets you use the hoverboard or a drill or a portable oxygenator without running out of power.

The hoverboard is *fast* and the best use I found for it is blasting across long distances you have already explored and put tethers down on the overworld, like from wherever your base is to the nearest surface teleporter. You glide along the tether line to stay powered and oxygenated and it's great.

EDIT: also dynamite doesn't blow up resources. I forget if this was always the case but any resource clusters near a dynamite explosion turn it into a nugget of resources, very thoughtful.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 19, 2021

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh. Another thing about Astroneer that is good. Very small pieces of debris can be collected on your backpack in stacks of up to 5, it makes a small wire bin on your back with 4 or 5 gears in it, good for gathering up tiny scrap to bring to the shredder and grinding it all up at once.

They also have a "Large Solar" and "Large Wind Turbine" which I don't remember being in the game before. Takes up about the same space as a 4-slot machine, easier to build than the mega-sized power structures. The game is tangibly better in so many ways now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

explosivo posted:

Alright Astroneer is good again. The quest/reward system is interesting because it sort of helped me figure out what I was supposed to be doing at any given time. I just made my first titanium after coming back from Desolo so I think my next step is to make an actual base since my current base on the starter planet is just a strung together series of platforms. They've made so many little changes to the game since I played last that improve the experience but just having a goddamn compass now has helped so much.

I stayed up way too late and I'm only thinking about playing more while at work so that's definitely a good sign.

The compass shows you useful stuff and not just beacons you put down yourself! Also one of the easier ways to spot Exo boxes to blow up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

EDIT: Nobody told me there were loving giant robots in SCUM! That changes everything.

explosivo posted:

The new automation stuff felt sort of unnecessary to this game when I first heard about it because I never had issues getting what I needed before but after playing it a bunch it's not really factorio levels of automation here, and what they have added really gels nicely with the existing modular design that game already has going on.

Automation really shines if you have an auto extractor set up on some deposit of something you need lots of, because you get anywhere from ten to a hundred times as much resources using one of those. I dropped one on top of an Ammonia deposit, you need ammonia for rocket fuel hydrazine mostly, filled up two full containers, brought those and a container full of hydrogen over to a chemistry station, had another little auto arm there to pull out the finished product and I have a huge jar of rocket fuel now. I don't need to worry about running out between bases any time soon.

DOUBLE EDIT:

If you want something Stalker-like with a bit of jank to it, "DESOLATE" is pretty good. Desolate has guns but ammo is extraordinarily limited and the materials to make ammo yourself are also limited, so instead there's lots of scrounging and mostly melee weapons to muck with. You're on some weird island full of strange people, energy anomalies and mutated wildlife and eventually you get to do quests that let you take over certain areas from hostile bandits so more parts of the map are safer to traverse. Drinking and eating regularly are pretty simple but there's also a stress meter to manage. You can turn herbs into a joint to smoke to calm yourself down, which makes this the first game I've seen that has weed smoking as a tactical use.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 24, 2021

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

explosivo posted:

:shepface:

The biggest improvement to this game amidst all the automation crap is the canisters that let you store 32 of the same item in it at once. It's so easy to go to a planet and fill up a canister with a particular type of ore you need and fly back home with it. Before you had to basically take whatever you could fit in the 2x4 platforms you had in your shuttle but you can get more than enough in one trip this way.

A simple automation thing that also saves time is this smelter setup. Canister on the left has the ore which is fed automatically onto the smelter, then the finished ingot goes into the canister on the right. This lets you do stuff like this:

Honestly this canister compression stuff could have been the only change to this game and I would've still fallen back in just as hard, it's just such a game changer. I just brought back a full can of iron ore, threw it on the smelter and now have a whole can of ingots to take from which should last me for a bit. I am losing a bit of drive because I'm scraping up against the end of the research but i've been having a blast playing this a second time with all these changes.

Yeah. The soil and gas canisters are similarly really handy. You put a giant soil canister on your drill tank and you can just fill up on so much soil. Which you can then use to either pave or else turn into mega recycling materials. And the gas cylinder lets you store a LOT of gas, I was able to make a little automated hydrazine area that gave me hydrazine for days.

The new quest system tends to give you freebies of items you normally cannot build yourself at that time so it's a good way to get a taste of what's to come, one of the rewards was a super large container for 400 nuggets of one item.

The actual end goal of powering up all planet cores and putting copies of their polyhedrons on the weird satellite are almost too easy now, I kind of wish there was another end-game goal besides messing around, and yet, messing around is the most fun part of this game.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 25, 2021

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It may not have hunger meters in the traditional sense but you still have to do base building and food gathering regularly in Chernobylite. So I guess it belongs in this thread too. It's *pretty loving good*. I missed out on the original Stalker games when they were hot but this is apparently like that minus most of the jank.

The protagonist Igor knows how to shoot but isn't a hardened killer, murdering an enemy in cold blood drains his mental health (easily restored with a good stew or a bottle of alcohol, hey). He has to learn silent, nonlethal takedowns from another guy so he can stealth without feeling bad about it. Hot-blooded kills in a self-defense firefight don't seem to drain his mental meter though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah that's the thing for me. If it was entirely just some dumb meme game, I wouldn't give it a second look. The person making this is putting some real effort into it, like more than a lot of other janky early access survival games I've played. And that makes it interesting and also unnerving in its own way.

He puts out teaser videos for his updates, like this most recent one, which introduced new boiling water mechanics enabling you to make broth (no, not piss broth), underwater stuff, some new locations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RHuV2bWa30

Did I mention there's also an unfinished main story line about finding your former roommate, who starts out the game by stealing your RV and driving away, leading you to end up in a horrible car crash? Also the former roommate may be some kind of serial killer? It's all just such a weird thing.

All things considered, your pitch for the worst-sounding-game ever was actually convincing! A game where you, yourself, are the biggest threat to the environment is intriguing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sons of the Forest didn't "grab" me the way Regular Forest did but I'll give it time to cook. Not a fan of your little torch being purple I can't see poo poo with it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Is it actually worth crafting stuff? In the original forest you just wanted to scavenge poo poo from caves and crafting was useless.

TBH I never got as far in Sons of the Forest myself because when I last tried it out it was all still pretty new. It seems to me that one of the things you need to make, not find, is 3d-printed stuff like a canteen or 3d-printed armor.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Belatedly: regarding VoidTrain, at some point they loving changed the story, such as it is, to get rid of a lot of the more cringe-worthy jokes in the beginning (the nazis talking incessantly and you "locking them out" by drawing a lock on the door come to mind)

Still love when the music swells whenever you get to a new station. And thank god you don't need food to not die, it's just regeneration like Minecraft.

Still not a fan of how they gate progression behind you making items...and using those up to then make the next tier. That's baffling.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 2, 2023

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So I tried out Urge but had to bounce off it because I *really hated the fonts* and font sizes and didn't see a way to fix that. But I approve of the "surreal horror" vibe everything had. That was eerier than I expected. Maybe theyll fix that in the future?

Also tried out Forever Skies. Now that I got right into, it's gorgeous and I love that the earth is so covered in poo poo all I have to do is shoot asteroids of metal and plastic flying around to get more stuff, or drop an automated fishing line into a moth cloud to grab moths to eat because there are a petabyte of moths now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I get it but also lol

Look, I can't help it if I found the actual interface more disgusting than the premise!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I always thought it was weird when I played Icarus in the early days (did they change this?) that you were some sort of astronaut in a 1:1 earthlike environment, but you couldn't breathe the air so you had to burn oxygen rocks to breathe. Birds, fish, deer, those you can eat, though (through your helmet?)

Other news: Enshrouded has enchanted me so far.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah Wolf Spiders are one of the nastiest creatures in the game, you don't wanna mess with them until waaay later. Acorn Armor may be tanky for its tier but it's still Tier 1.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The only thing Grounded is missing is the ability to tame a *big* insect as a mount. I want to charge through things with an armored ladybug or, I dunno, fly while riding a dragonfly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

LordSloth posted:

All I want to know about <insert tiny human here> game is do I get a wall-climbing gecko as a mount? Flight is for chumps.

You are thinking in the right direction, yesss.

Part of the reason I want them to fly on dragonflies in Grounded is we would totally call it the "Dragon-rider" DLC to go with the nerdy 80s D&D thing.