Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

So I saw the responses to the solo question - but how viable is just two people? I figure it’s helped a lot by the “hey we’re playing together” effect but I get the sense that the real sweet spot is more 3-5 or more?

My friend and I are pretty patient and also good at figuring out how to be efficient with exactly these sorts of games (we did very well with 7 Days to Die as a duo coming in pretty cold and having to spend every day efficiently, no other players) so I think we’ll have a good time.

Sort of an addendum, how’s the work breakdown? He’s much more willing to spend time exploring, hunting, foraging, and leaving me to fastidiously build a perfect base. Does it make sense to run a 50/50 like that? Can we kind of work into those roles?

I appreciate the care taken for spoilers so far so if you can weigh in be mindful that I appreciate going in as ‘cold’ as possible relative to specific details. In the end I think we’ll enjoy it, but I’m a little worried if it gets too grindy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I knew nothing about Conan’s lore and it’s still weird to me but there’s a whole story buried in the weird survival game and tons of lore bits of that grabs you. The first two times I played it I rushed a fancy base and got bored, the third time I followed the “journey” hints and tried to seek out new lore and man, there’s a whole buried thing that’s entirely missable if you aren’t careful.

I like the game a lot now, but it really feels like they wanted to make something more like traditional RPG but they were developing/launching in the window where everyone was playing Rust/DayZ so they made that instead. I don’t hate that, because I sincerely dig the “Open World Survival Craft” and Conan is one of the better examples now, but it still sometimes feels torn between two worlds imo.

In any case, my advice would be do the journey and pay attention to the lore and story bits you get throughout the game. It’s OK if you just want to build a base but it’ll get tired - getting into the weird story and doing the bosses and dungeons whips rear end. I played with a friend and not solo, which is a huge difference, but with a strong thrall there’s not too much you couldn’t do that we did, really. It’s easy to skip whole sections of the game, but avoid the temptation to rush it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

PvP in many of these games always seems weird to me too, because inevitably the big PvP servers are all like 10x drop/exp and basically short circuit anything that makes the game/genre unique to turn it into a death match or at best, team death match. While Conan does have pretty tight combat, a lot of these games just aren’t that good as pure PVP and so it always confuses me why they want to ignore what else the game brings to the table for a pretty generic PvP experience.

I guess it’s more fun to kill someone when you get to stomp on their sand castle afterward, though.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

0/10 will not play games with spiders bigger than me. (Although the Conan ones don't bother me.)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

To be fair I don’t consider PVE servers on survival games to go nearly far enough. Any buildings/settlements that are not aesthetically pleasing enough to meet my standards are a personal attack on me and often I can seek no recourse. :v:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I love sailing and wish there was more games with it. I beat Sea of Thieves to absolute death with a buddy and that scratched a lot of the itch but I always crave more. Valheim is good, but give me more.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I mean sea of thieves has so much more fun PvP for dumb things like my buddy jumping on another ship with an explosive barrel and asking everyone to stay calm and we intended to ransom some garbage piece of their loot fornot blowing up the ship. The guy shot it, blew up his own ship, and on the death boat told us “I don’t negotiate with terrorists.” It was hilarious for both parties.

But that would never happen if the stakes were higher for the game because there wouldn’t be room to be goofy. And further, I recognize even that level of goofy low stakes PvP is still more than a lot of people want. It’s such a tough balance and it’s going to be different for almost every player.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

packetmantis posted:

I play these games because I like building and exploring and I loving hate griefers, thanks.

Same and I wonder if this is at least some minor part of Valheim’s overwhelming success - not being clan PvP.

E: not that it’s not popular, just that a lot of people were yearning for not clan-based PvP.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s a few patches back now for sure, but a buddy and I had a living base and then tiny, but extremely well fortified tower for defense every seven days.

It was super fun but also extremely tense for us to survive the horde night. It usually took me a full day if not two to get the tower back to full defensive strength, and it became a full several work-days to get enough ammo to survive. So yes, a very active defense.

I’ve since heard that yes there’s plenty of better ways to cheese it and what we did kept us on a razors edge of surviving, but considering it kept a challenge up through like day 70+ while always feeling like we were just pulling through was next level survival game poo poo.

The caveat to that whole story is that I do think our play style and the whole situation we built was sort of lightning in a bottle and I’m not sure we could even recapture how fun it was to do. Having to start every day fastidiously taking inventory and laying out what needed to happen before the next horde became an art. There was no more bad rear end feeling than sealing us off on the evening of the horde with our mass of ammo, explosives, and other tools while we waited for those first zombies to hit the outside wall.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

VegasGoat posted:

Also, the constant greydwarf attacks where I can't even spend 5 minutes doing anything in peace is ruining the fun.

The wall and spikes (which do damage) outside of it did wonders for the harassment attacks for me and my friends. Sometimes they figure out enough to try and punch a whole through but it’s so much less annoying than the constant harassment. Also, sleep at night if you aren’t.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Det_no posted:

Unless you die. My friend and I got like 200 iron that we spent on a shiny new boat and basic tools/weapons. We then set out on an adventure to see if we could find another swamp but soon as we saw plains my pal promptly beached the boat in front of a goblin camp hosting Mosquitathon 2021 and we got slaughtered.

Everyone dead, boat exploded, like a half an hour boat ride away from our base. We spent like two hours trying to get our gear back. It was miserable and, even if we mercifully got the gear back after several corpse runs, the boat materials were gone forever.

I have also had this miserable experience, I think everyone does. It’s frustrating no doubt but personally I sort of like this. It has made us very conscious and careful of portals and made us plan expeditions a little more and it was kind of emergent and neat.

I made a short tutorial based on our experiences:

https://youtu.be/_4dFDBYWuTc

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm looking for a new game, but I've played so many in this genre that I don't know if there's anything left.

I have played Raft on and off through its development - now I have a friend and we're doing a co-op, will probably finish it this time. I like raft a lot, but I let him design the overall 'structure' of the raft and realized I wanted more sort of 'homey' base building. We just came off of Valheim, too, which has a similar vibe, but are putting that down for awhile. I don't think Raft has enough to make me want to start a simultaneous save for singleplayer, to be honest. I think part of my attraction is definitely the more fiddly, physical aspect. What are some other games with some good 'homey' base building? Or at least sort of.. I'm not sure how to describe the vibe - like, I would consider My Summer Car sort of in this mix, because even though you don't build, there's a progression and a house and things to do thats sort of life-sim-ish.

I'm 'done' with Conan Exiles, My Summer Car, 7 Days to Die (actually saving this for friends again.) Not really interested in playing solo/PVE Ark, Rust. Not a huge fan of space engineers, I've bounced off of it several times. Same with TLD. I'd even take a more 'light' base building if its only customization. But then again maybe something like Stationeers could be fun. Basically, the problem is that I desperately want to play Open Sewer but the remake of it is still not available to play. Maybe its time to try Stardew again.

Sorry for being rambly, but wanted to see if goons had any niche games I haven't found before that fit this weird mix. Maybe the post is more appropriate for 'weird niche simulator games' instead, though.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Dynasty
Subnautica
No Man's Sky
Car Mechanic Simulator
Mech Mechanic Simulator
Landlord's Super

All good suggestions, though:
The dynasty games just feel a little lean right now, at least Medieval (the only one I've tried.) I want to like it, but it just doesn't grab. I might still try it again. Subnautica I've done, though not the expansion - may try that. No Man's Sky was honestly what I settled on - I leave it installed because this mood hits me once in awhile and its a great brainless game I can always pick up at any time, plus being able to kick back from my desk and play with my xbox controller is always relaxing.

Landlord's Super is absolutely the same vibe as Open Sewer and what I want, but like you mention, I got the sense it wasn't quite there yet.

The Mechanic sims are so close, too, and I think why I'm getting this itch. I got Mech Mechanic because of the 30% off coupon I had and I love it, but I want it to have just a little more. If they paired that with being able to build and customize and decorate your workshop and it were a little bit more My Summer Car instead of a more 'virtual' or sort of 'disconnected' fiddling, it would hit perfectly. If I could throw around parts and have to organize/find them instead of just menus and things... The repair stations like welding and rust cleaning hit well, but disassembling and reassembling feels too detached imo.

I feel like I might just settle for No Man's Sky until the urge passes. It's good and I hate to say 'settle' but its not quite there. I'd love My Summer Car again before they seemed to lean too heavily into dick-punching mechanics in the last set of patches. Loitse please hurry with Open Sewer's remake. :(

I'll take a peek at those youtube channels. I actually found a few games from Let's Game It Out, because despite his style of horribly breaking games, he picks ones that are interesting to me. Maybe I'll give Hydroneer another shot! It's fiddly and physical and has home building.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Green Hell doesn’t have nearly the building of even The Forest, and it’s much more about making sure you have the right foods and not dying to Jaguars and stuff. It’s pretty similar to the forest without cannibals or as in depth building and if you’re fairly cool on The Forest, it’s hard for me to recommend Green Hell.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

URW looks neat and I have a pretty high tolerance for learning curve, but it feels like one of those games that almost require a huge up-front investment of reading controls and gotchas and even then maybe following a guide. I'm all for false starts, but is this true? I can't do Dwarf Fortress and I'm worried that it smells like that too much, but building a cabin in a very in-depth game is extremely my poo poo.

I actually bought and refunded it once, but I was insanely drunk at the time which didn't feel like the right time to burst into it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Qubee posted:

Anyone got game recommendations in the same vein as 7DTD? We're almost done with our game, and were thinking of jumping onto The Forest afterwards. Is there anything else out there? Doesn't necessarily have to be zombie-oriented, just good coop gameplay and plenty of opportunity for organic and hilarious situations to arise. Some tension wouldn't go amiss.

Chinook posted:

I feel like Valheim would be great.

Absolutely what comes to mind, 7DTD is the closest game I can think to Valheim in many ways. The Forest is also a good choice. Green Hell is much like The Forest and has co-op, but it definitely has a shorter, "Alright, I think we've done all we can do" half life, but its extremely fun at how absolutely bleak and horrible the early survival bits are. Raft is also a lot of fun, but there's less of the organic situation stuff popping up because you're mostly just working on building a big raft and getting enough food and water, then exploring islands for new resources and things.

Conan:Exiles is good if you take note not to miss the story/progression (which is easy to do.) My friends and I went off base building thinking the world was empty before a replay years later when I realized there were dungeons and bosses and lore and stuff. It's definitely a little different than the others though - the combat is similar to Valheim, but the building and stuff isn't quite as.. nice? I guess thinking about it, you can still get pretty creative, but it doesn't feel the same as Valheim does.

Not survival and more niche, but if the only requirement is "coop + hilarious situations to arise," Snowrunner is tons of fun when you and your friends end up with 3 trucks stuck trying to save another truck your idiot friend got stuck somewhere. Also in this vein is The Escapists 2 (frequently on sale, but fairly short/simple.) I had a ton of goofy fun with that co-op. Deviating even further from survival or crafting is Streets of Rogue, but also an excellent co-op game with hilarious happenings.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve been grasping at the right words but yeah - while Battlefield was one of my favorite game series and I love plenty of other online versus stuff, I stay miles away from PVP in survival games. Other than very specific cases where it’s always fun even with crap gear, (DayZ) it’s almost always a game of one person or group grinding, hoarding, and then proceeding to gently caress with your ability to get anywhere close to competitive. Its not fun to get your sandcastle stomped a whole hell of a lot of the worst people online love to be the ones stomping sandcastles. It makes me sad because me and a handful of buddies absolutely love the OpenWorldSurvivalCraft nonsense but exclusively have to play private servers and it does detract somewhat, but open PVP in these games just blows.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If you can play with 1 or 2 friends it’s absolutely a different game. I went in cold with a frien: just over a year ago - so current, but a few patches back - and we managed to survive horde nights without a cheaty base. By the end of that game, we were on night 70-ish using an iron rod fence with spikes in front of it. Behind the iron fence was several “kill boxes” that were basically some electric fence wires across a space with a small concrete bunker to hide the fence posts. Eventually if they broke that, they got into a courtyard where we layered any mines we would afford to make (dubiously useful.)

The last defense was another fence and a 2 wide, 3 deep moat with spike traps before it gave way to our stubby tower that we fought from. Later in the game we did have zombies get up to the tower, but it was never dramatically threatened.

E: and should clarify here too - that base wasn’t made over one week. It started as a tower with a pit and a fence, then I built the outside fence, then I started using mines, then I started adding electric fences much later. It kept pace but started small.

In this new game I have two friends. We’re approaching day 28, and the hordes are going so much easier than our last it’s not funny - the big trick is just keeping everyone extremely flush with ammunition for AKs.

A big part of our strategy works though because I’m happy to craft and mine, one player does all the missions for scavenging and getting that all important brass for ammo, and the last is either building our True gently caress You Fort or helping one of us with mining or missions. Having a dedicated miner/crafter can be a pretty rote job, but it makes the difference. I can definitely see other play styles where if I’m not playing base-mother, you’d get absolutely wrecked on horde nights. If everyone can show up to a few good meals and 1000 7.62 ammo, we finish by 1am pretty unscathed and I can replace and repair the broken defenses by daybreak.

Solo I don’t have good advice sadly. Just having more eyes and guns is a force multiplier even though gamestage advances faster and there’s more zombies. Definitely don’t miss robotic turrets - they’re easy to make ammo for (maybe you need a recipe if you aren’t an intellect guy - but if you’re solo you probably have some anyway) and provide a free gun if you can pause to reload it a few times. (Pro tip: when you have to repair your AK.)

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 12, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

About how far did you get, and what put you off it? I'm only on Day 12 but that's the farthest I've gotten, and I'm really in love with the exploration of it, digging through ruined houses and factories for treasures and supplies, and even as simple as that is it tends to be what gets most of my attention. It's mindlessly enjoyable, and the only real thinking I have to do is on horde night. I do think the game badly needs a teleport or fast travel system, though, with as big as the maps are. Maybe I just need a vehicle.

Vehicles, even just a bicycle, are a massive game changer IMO. The mini bike is all you really ever need and anything beyond that is just luxury.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bhodi posted:

You might consider it cheaty but you can just deal with the hordes by slowly biking around until night ends instead of being in one place trying to fight them off. It's how most people survived on multiplayer servers back when I played.

And miss out on 3-4 levels of experience? No way!

I think running or hiding + running is a perfectly valid way to handle the horde if it works out. Vultures can definitely keep up with at least the mini-bike though for sure.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I forget if the post was here or somewhere else but someone was dead on in that it kind of lacks an antagonist in any meaningful way, so it doesn’t have a “loop” in many senses. If you like automating a base and building an impressive space station and HVAC then it’s great, but it’s hard to say it’s really good if you aren’t going to be self motivated by expanding your fantastic base.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I have a similar vibe and it’s weird. I can only sim it up in: I like to play survival games creatively, I don’t like to play creative games.

7DTD requires a lot of purpose and you can get creative, but your endgame isn’t “well now I’m going to build a Turing complete zombie computer.” The other examples I can think of are city builders - it’s why something like Workers and Resources grabs me (constant need to build, expand and maintain supply lines and production chains) and Cities Skylines (just get enough built to have a positive cash flow, then make pretty) doesn’t. Both allow for a similar-ish degree of creative freedom, but there’s no real motive beyond some Reddit posted “look at this cool mega build” because the game itself falls off and it just becomes a weird way to make different art.

That’s fine, but it’s not much of a game for me at that point. Not sure if that scans for anyone else or if it’s my unique brainworms to the creative vs “mechanic” balance.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Synnr posted:

What, if any, is in the field of single player survival simmy fps type stuff out there besides like 7dtd? Tarkov is kind of just a loot shooter and rust and all that are just sandbox pvp stuff (to me). I've grown a little weary of stalker mods and I don't really enjoy multiplayer versions of the sort of game most of the time, because I don't really HAVE the time to invest in poopsocking, or the multiplayer scene is just trash.

I do love stalker but I'm guessing that's the only thing that's going to really fit that category? Maybe my desires are just counter to the whole concept, I dunno.

I want more of these too, because I can't stand multiplayer for these games but love playing that style. A lot of these suggestions aren't exactly what you want because almost every one comes with a "This, but," clause - mostly because they're generally not good FPSes if they're a shooter at all. My wants in this area were just "first person and simmy" so the list sort of reflects more of that flavor - but take a look if any grab you:

Hobo: Tough Life is surprisingly elaborate despite the name and style making it look like shovelware - but its much more of a weird RPG that happens to be first person as opposed to a true 'FPS.' If you're willing to fight through a false start or two and the game's presentation its fun - it managed to surprise me when I thought it might end up being trash.
No Man's Sky scratched this itch a little for me, but it isn't exactly right and its not really survival beyond the very early steps.
Stationeers does a little, but the survival aspects are much more about HVAC and programming/logic than your usual survival game loops.
Landlord's Super isn't really survival in the traditional sense, but is a first person game with good fiddly/simmy mechanics - if you like building a house.
Raft is fun, albeit the survival loop is relatively easy and it becomes much more buildy/explore-y and further upgrades just make the survival aspects less time consuming without really introducing new threats.
A game to keep an eye on maybe is Open Sewer - you can get it now but they basically decided they hated the game and are remaking it from scratch, more or less. They have kept up on development and post updates on their discord about monthly but they're two years in with no announced date in sight. It's also slightly more management based than purely survival.
Volcanoids is decent now - but it has a pretty distinct goal and end and the survival is much more resource focused (like, having enough coal/iron/copper) and very combat focused in a game with only decent/passable combat.
Generation Zero is hard for me to recommend because it feels like the gameplay got very same-y very quickly and its 90% combat/stealth focused in terms of survival, but its a beautiful game with cool aesthetics. The gameplay is tight enough, it just felt like after a few hours I'd seen what it was going to show me and it was just going to be "the same, but harder/bigger."
My Summer Car also kind of satisfied me with this for awhile, but the dev leaned hard into unfun dick-punching mechanics/decisions and you sort of have to want to build a car from parts if you want to enjoy the game.

E: in retrospect pretty much the only game I mentioned that I would say is close is Generation Zero - the others just aren’t shooters and when I looked at the list with “stalker” in mind again it felt completely off base… but hey, maybe you’ll find something you like.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 22, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

It's not something that could be patched in, and would've required changes from the start, but if Generation Zero had the focus 7dtd or even Tarkov had on scrounging and scavenging, and put more emphasis on survival rather than just combat, the exploration and looting would've felt a lot more satisfying. The combat was very fun and the guns handled satisfyingly, but so much of the game was spent looting completely identical houses for 2 medpacks, 20 bullets, and 3 radios I'd never use.

That's really my exact complaint, yeah. I absolutely adore the vibe and what it does it does very well, its just that it needs to do more because it doesn't feel like it has much new after you get through that loop of "loot houses for 20 bullets so you can shoot the robot in front of the next house with 20 bullets." The patches and things seem to tease like maybe some of the endgame stuff is sort of 'mmo dungeon/boss fight-ish?' It might be cool but when it felt like me and my buddies got out of the very 'early' game it seemed to drag really hard.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

packetmantis posted:

I miss when people would actually try to figure stuff out themselves instead of needing to be spoon-fed by the algorithm.

I don’t exactly agree with you - I don’t care if someone doesn’t want to figure something out - I think they’re shorting themselves, but have your own fun - but so many games these days feel like they expect you to learn from everyone else online and balance around that. I like games that really let you figure out everything from only the game and maybe a manual. A lot of games make it really painful to go in cold.

I’m sure old games are to blame just as much but it feels different somehow nowadays. I’d rather get burned on a game by going in cold and missing how it sucks rather than obsessively watch streamers and youtubers and miss the wonder of discovering stuff on my own.

I’m even going to miss beta weekends for Icarus despite really wanting to try it because I don’t want to get to its “real” release and be completely used to all the mechanics already.

This argument goes on for another 40000 words about mmos and related games where people say “the real game starts at endgame.” If you don’t enjoy the ride why are you playing the gaaaameeeee :argh:

(But again, that’s me - play your own game and have your own fun.)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Some people LIKE the community and shared knowledge aspect. I know I enjoy it, but it's a lot better if you can get in early on small games that go down that read because god drat it can really make you feel like you're part of things.

I can get that too! I just don’t like that it’s a real struggle to go in cold on games these days. I get so frustrated the first time I have to look up something in a complex game and inevitably end up in a rabbit hole of finding out a whole bunch of underlying mechanics I didn’t know prior because they were on the wiki and woops now the mystery is gone and all I can see is the game’s algorithms.

I recognize it’s as much as personal thing as it is anything else but it’s a definite struggle to really learn on your own in some games if you want to go that route, especially when you see something get rebalanced and go “what the hell” only to find out that half of the players found a way to make it 10x better than however you were using it. Now you both know the exploit that you didn’t want to know and your old way isn’t as good.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Like just thinking: Highflert was a good very recent game that I felt like hit both things well, for me. I didn’t watch more than a few minutes of gameplay prior to launch. I got to go in cold, but it had a nice extensive manual and didn’t have too much that didn’t make sense and required reaching outside of the game.

Once I kind of got through that period of learning and discovery I was more than happy to engage with the community and learn what I missed and didn’t feel like I got “spoiled” on strategies and mechanics and things. Not all games are going to have that sort of vibe because it’s not easy to feel like you’re doing at least OK until you engage the community’s resources.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I definitely agree with what you’re saying - I’m not sure I’d change that, because I love a lot of these games and their sometimes arcane/weird mechanics that beg for a Wiki. I guess I’m just bummed I can’t have my cake and eat it too wrt discovering and figuring it out all on my own with my friends but still having all the weird content these small teams produce.

I’m colored, too, by having 3/4 friends who are dutifully dedicated to not looking something up in a new game until we’re really stuck. That fourth friend popping in with “oh I saw this!” After we’ve been so careful about not exposing our group to that stuff gets real big “ugh cmon dude” vibes. Even though the community aspect is ignorable in general, that buddy makes it feel intrusive sometimes.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Unless I missed it, I haven’t seen anyone talking about Voidtrain. I had it wishlisted on steam but happened to see it was available on Epic. Started playing with a buddy.

It kind of rules? It’s not particularly “hard” I would say - I forget now if it had a difficulty setting but surely we’re on normal if there is. It seems mostly a fight about gathering enough resources, but the combat/threats do seem to be ramping up a little bit. I really don’t want to say too much about the game - not that I’ve found any super deep twists to spoil, but it’s a really cool idea and the best “take your base with you” survival game I’ve played, at least compared to Volcanoids or Raft. (Admittedly Raft might be better because it’s more or less a complete game, but from what I’ve seen so far I enjoy the base looting/production loop of Voidtrain better.)

There’s some annoying things: Deconstructing doesn’t give a full refund and you end up desperately wanting to move stuff a lot of the time. Sometimes you feel like you’re in a bit of a holding pattern waiting for the right resources to be tossed at you while there’s not really enough storage to horde the items you don’t need in huge numbers, but then you inevitably want those resources later. Ultimately though it’s super charming and different and I’m really digging it. I’ve always wanted to be a VoidSoviet train engineer fighting VoidNazis and Voidsharks, I just didn’t know it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I've watched some footage and it looks really promising, but I have no idea why they decided to make the inventory management so obnoxious. As you mentioned, half-refund on deconstruction, plus incredibly tiny inventories (chests hold 3 items?) and the complete lack of passive or even growable or "targeted" resources makes it needlessly grindy. I've never seen a game praised for its super restrictive inventory in review, so I don't know why some games insist on doing it this way.

Can’t disagree! Honestly I don’t mind the grindy/limited space that much except for the refund. If it has full refund for moving I may not even notice the space issues that much. I’m just very charmed by the presentation and style of the game.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m not far, we just got the steam engine researched, so I assume it could change.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

I started wondering if there's such a thing as an extremely chill survival game, where you just wander through pretty landscapes, fish, track and chill in cozy cottages, but I remembered that's mostly just theHunter.

Arguably relevant but Red Dead Redemption 2 often satisfies this exact urge for me on a purely “chill out and wander” level, but it’s not particularly survivalish obviously.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don’t disagree with your overall point but I want to argue a slight technicality that I don’t think rimworld was something unique in a sea of games like it that were boring builders - it was something unique that *didn’t* have close parallels and so in those “vision” days it had annoying moments to play in what felt like an amazing unique game but for the dev having a few dumb ideas that you worked around. I agree, he figured it out and it’s way better now but it wasn’t cool and unique because of that weird “finish it” aspect - he just tied a lot of different colony builder aspects together into a game that was clearly heads and tails above anything like it at the time with a slight caveat of “and you have to work around the escalating difficulty if you want to play an endless colony sim.”

I agree that it’s inaccurate to point to the “story should end” vision in 2021 as a detriment - it doesn’t really exist anymore - but I don’t think it was somehow “The thing that made the game good in a field of goalless builders.” There wasn’t a field of goalless builders that people were tired of, it was just a good game and the people playing it said “but also this was a weird choice.”

Like I said end of the day my point still arrives at your conclusion so maybe it’s not even worth mentioning but I do think his vision was a relevant talking point especially for people who were playing vanilla until some of the more modern updates. (It’s also not true of everyone - I know players who explicitly only like rimworld because of the ending pressure and the drive it gives you.)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Void train ultimately killed me and I was solidly of the quiet opinion "Everyone is right about it being slow and annoying with resources except they're wrong and I'll power through and enjoy it because its a take-your-base-with-you survival game and that base is a god drat cool Russian train and you fight Nazis."

But then it really was just too slow and annoying and it fucks everything up. There's zero incentive to ever go faster, also? You can't get sustainable water and food? There's an actual *negative* incentive to make the train pretty because it makes it hard to access poo poo when all your resources are flying past you outside? You have to spend a bunch of resources to make resources so you can fight in an arena to make other resources and the arena is gated by your resources?

I'm really hoping that one flips to good someday because for me it seems impossible for me to dislike 'a build an interdimensional Nazi fighting train' game, but I do.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I was suspicious of the game for all the reasons brought up here (Dean Hall, general vibes, etc etc) but "EA launch without the single unique defining feature of the game" was not on my bingo card, lol

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

truther posted:

Love reading the rage in the past few posts about Icarus. No defining features apart from the whole point of the game: missions.

Bears spawning on top of you is clearly a bug. Not sure why you're taking it so personally.
No torch holding while carrying a weapon isn't a big deal. Just drop a floor torch... Also, in larger caves you'll want to setup a processing station right inside anyway so it's faster to transport the material in ingot form.
Grinding reduces each session as you unlock more in the blueprint and talent tree.

Game pretty good. Runs so smoothly and looks very nice. Lots more flora since beta. Missions are interesting. Great having access to the workshop and the upgrade path outside of the planet-side gameplay.

stop the presses you’re telling me this video games got missions??

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Those look like some really good tips for Zomboid, a game that clearly has more depth than my pea-brain can handle, so I ended up refunding it. Seems like it's a really cool apocalypse simulator and not a very good game.

That feels like a very good and pretty fair way to describe it. You have to have at least a passing desire to be punched in the crotch to enjoy it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

People also frequently miss that if you look closely On the ground you can often find car keys for parked cars near by in parking lots and things. They’re hard to spot and look like a pavement crack.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Sometimes in Zomboid, I feel like I'm swinging my weapon in slow motion. Is that a consequence of the weapon itself, like a heavy pipe or something not meant for weapon use, or is there something wrong with my character? It's like... really slow.

Yes to any and all. It could be negative moodlets (sad, pain, exhausted, etc,) some weapons are slower than others as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Kind of a cross post from management games thread but:

I’m looking for a game that runs well on a recent surface pro because I’m traveling for work and want to distract myself from the fact I’ll end up with covid for my job. I’ve been having a ball with some friends in zomboid but a tinier screen and a not super accurate mouse and keyboard setup makes me loathe trying to fight “woops you got bit” style zombies.

I might consider something like unrealworld to finally learn, but I’m worried it might be a little much to bite off for “tired in a hotel for 45 minutes” type of game. One friend suggested rimworld again, which maybe. I have been hunting more “play a person, but there’s some management elements” games - zomboid hit this in a lot of ways because I got to play a base-mom in multiplayer, but I’m thinking of like Graveyard keeper or things of that nature. I have Feel the Snow which I’ve barely played?? Vintage story might be a good candidate if not for the fact I think it might look and play like crap on the surface pro.

Any strong suggestions?