Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

fennesz posted:

I'm on day 128 right now and I can see wood becoming a real problem. I've scoured the area around where I'm shacked up and wood seems pretty sparse. Even if I'm able to go the next 70 days without having to leave the map for wood it'll take a shitload of time and effort to get it, especially with the new stamina changes. I made the trip from the Farmhouse in Pleasant Valley up to Signal Hill, which took 2 hours from a full rest, and I was tired by the time I got there.

I might even have to forgo my strategy of mostly eating rabbits I'd snared simply because, pound for pound, they carry fewer calories than deer or bear meat does. Hunting bears or chasing deer into wolves will probably have to become my main source of nutrition simply because I won't have the fuel to cook all of the other meat I'd be able to snag with snares. Bears are obviously much riskier but even, best case scenario, if I'd get it in one or two shots (which I've never done) cooking ~35 pounds of meat takes ~8 logs of fir to completely cook. Not to mention water constraints that straight up requires fuel to obtain.

I'll have to see how it goes. Unless broken limbs and sticks respawn it'll be a lot more difficult to sustain anything.

:stare:

Do you stay in one place and go out for supplies, or just carry everything with you?

I started a new game after dying of hypothermia and it started me inside the Hunter's Homestead, which included a rifle and ammo. Gotta make good use of this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Trapper's Homestead is a great place to start off, especially if you spawn with the rifle. I had trouble pretty fast though; my clothing wasn't all that great, and I only had about six bullets total. Supply runs were a pain between the cold and wolf attacks, so I've been cabin hopping and made my way to the camp office. I think I'll make this my new home for now and plan an expedition to my old homestead to gather the supplies I left behind.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Between my rifle and winter coat, I have so little room to carry supplies. With all my clothes, the rifle and water, I hit 33 lbs easily, out of my 66 or so. I went on an adventure from the camp office to a cabin by the frozen canal and almost died. I managed to kill 1 wolf and shot another, leaving me with no bullets. The cabin had nothing useful, so I headed to the forestry overlook.

Only to realize when I got there that last time I had completely broken down all the wooden objects and had no way to make a fire. So, starving and dehydrated, I headed out into the night with naught but my lantern in an attempt to find sticks, branches or SOMETHING. Ended up by the frozen canal again and decided to try and make it back to base camp. And...I did it! My hunger and thirst were in the red, fatigue was close, and the cold and dark was creeping up but god dammit I made it. Now I need to plan a trip to the dam in the hopes of finding more ammo or I have no chance of accomplishing anything.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That would be great advice if maple saplings existed :argh:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Someone should probably make a Long Dark thread, we're not getting much traffic here. No offense, Toadsniff :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Remember how lovely Wurm Online is with the grinding and awful players? They solved it!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747466&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Wurm Unlimited is basically Wurm Online but on Steam, with single player servers and player run servers, with skill gain and other things changeable.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The time between when I first played TLD and the most recent time (winter 2015), the game tripled in size as far as locations go. I think when I started there were only two areas and now they are a lot more than that.

I'm also vaguely excited for whatever the story mode will be.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

The Solus Project and Firewatch are also on sale. The Solus Project is cheaper when purchased as a bundle with their previous game The Ball, so I did that.

I considered that one; how is it? Is it basically a sci-fi version of TLD?

Edit: Referring to Solus; Firewatch looks neat but I'm cheap.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 24, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Aphex- posted:

Firewatch isn't a survival game. It's more like a first person adventure game. Walking around, some light puzzles, lots of dialogue and a great story. Some people are let down by the way the story ends but I liked it quite a lot. It's only around 3 hours long though so ymmv.

Yeah, it looks cool but being a short "walking simulator" means my threshold for spending money on it is somewhere around $5. Nothing against the game or people that like them, just not what I go for.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I went into the Distress Pistol challenge in TLD without reading up on it. I'm only in the coastal highway with just over a day left. I don't think I'm going to make it.

As soon as I stepped out of the Hunter's Lodge I hit a -20 degree wind. Then later a -40 degree. It's been rough.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:ohdear: Subnautica has big open areas of ocean where you can't see the bottom or basically anything, doesn't it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hooboy. Phobias are really dumb, especially when it's a video game. I don't like water that I can't see the bottom of. Won't stop me from trying!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I made it through the Whiteout challenge in TLD once I realized that when you have all the supplies you win, you don't have to survive the full 30 days. Then I tried the bear challenge and holy christ was that tense and scary. You start in Pleasant Valley, nearish the big house, at 8-10% condition after a bear mauls you. There is a basement nearby with a few supplies so you can rest and heal yourself before heading out.

The bear will absolutely loving follow you, appearing at very inopportune times and charge you very fast. You can shoot it with the Distress Pistol that you get in the basement and it will run away for a bit but God help you if you miss your shot. You have to go all the way through the dam (is the wolf there always passive? It didn't even look at me) then all the way to Trapper's Homestead. I had to stop at the Logging Cabins because I was drat tired and cold. I leave in the morning, belly full, sun shining, and here's Mr. Bear! I miss TWO flare shots (missing means he runs away but comes right back instead of disappearing) and I got mauled bad. 9% condition again but I have meds so I treat myself and move on in a rush, hoping he'll stay away and I can save my one flare. Then a wolf instagibs me before I can get a flare out and light it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bremen posted:

Did you know Subnautica was one of the first survival games to add virtual reality support? :unsmigghh:

(I've heard it's loving terrifying)

Buy me a VR set and I'll be the guinea pig :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

He means Early Access.

Don't worry, it still throws me off every time too.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I bought Sheltered (http://store.steampowered.com/app/356040/) on the Steam sale. Seems alright so far. Anyone else tried it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Oh man this game pushes so many buttons for me. Post-apocalypse? RPG style management? Not made with generic Unity assets? Sign me the gently caress up.

I'm sure I'm just really bad at it but this game is hard. Gotta balance lots of things and I can't seem to get the resources I need, quick enough, to survive. I've only gotten up to 26 days before everyone succumbed to radiation poisoning. If everyone who is loyal enough to be sent on missions dies, you lose, even if you have a bunch of other people left over.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The horse is real nice for scavenging. Reduces the water you need and lets you carry more. Need to build that stable or it'll get poisoned when you're out of meds; takes three food a day as well, unless you just send it on missions constantly.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've made it to day 60 with only the mom dying so far. I only have a single upgraded door and a shotgun trap though. I've been giving ten food to the guy who comes by to threaten me. Recycling takes a long time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I usually fill it up :v:

It took so drat long to get enough plastic for the cheap one, then everything snowballed after that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would kill for a co-op version of TLD. The game mechanics as they are prevent it though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

20+ years by an amateur developer, mostly by himself in his free time.

Dwarf Fortress "released" in 2006.

quote:

Adams calls it his life's work and said in 2011, that version 1.0 will not be ready for at least another 20 years, and even after that he would continue to work on it.

I can only imagine what DF will look like in 2031. He will die of Mtn. Dew exposure before then.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wish there was a way to craft components in Sheltered, or that the recycling center didn't take so long. I'm in dire need of more valves. Couple of tires as well; I'm four achievements away from 100%.

EDIT: This thread gets so few screen shots.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 17, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Forlorn​ Muskeg has NOTHING. I spent several days looking for any shelter at all besides burned out buildings and caves. Survived two wolf attacks and several sprained appendages before I found the railroad (where a bear was hanging out) and booked my rear end to Mystery Lake.

Hello lake cabin, my old friend.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

there's supposedly shelter and a forge.

i'm starting a new game tonight, apparently old saves won't get the new updated loot tables.

I found the forge but the house it was next to was burned down. No idea if that's a chance thing.

All my old saves were invalid according to the game. Which is fine.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

God that bug is annoying.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Was just playing a Osiris:New Dawn. It's still kind of barren but the art team for this game deserves mad props. It runs great and looks wonderful. I got to watch a meteor showe but butr wreck my poo poo and then wreck me because I built in the middle of an open plain instead of near cover.

:stare:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/402710/

I don't need another survival game but.... space...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

Spent a few hours yesterday and today playing the new map in TLD. It is a definitely a difficult map. It's not even easy to get by on explorer difficulty. I've been reduced to eating cat tail stalks and hoping I don't have to eat the cans of dog food I found.

It also seems like the map is "colder" than others I've played on. I seem to be having a lot more problems with hypothermia than before. I don't know if that's just the new clothing system kicking my rear end though.

I don't think it ever went above 1 degree when I was there. Took me 2-3 days to walk through to find the route to Mystery Lake.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wish TLD had an auto-walk button. Sometimes traipsing through the cold darkness gets a little boring, I'd like to at least be able to set myself in a direction.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They fixed the small delay after eating something! :woop:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I bought NEO Scavenger on sale years ago, I had fun with it. Has it been updated at all?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has anyone made a survival game set on a remote tropical island? Just...make Castaway: The Game or something. The Forest is probably closest I suppose, its an island isn't it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I forgot about Stranded Deep, its already on my Wishlist. Paid a dollar for The Raft, we'll see how this is.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Raft is alright if very shallow for now. Spent about an hour with it, feels like I've experienced all it has. Good to keep an eye on, though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Buy The Long Dark. Unless you want to wait till after release and give them more money which is fine. They deserve it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Anyone else tried Oxygen Not Included? Its a colony building game in the same way as Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, with a bit of Fallout Shelter thrown in. 2D side view instead of top down. I like it so far.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/457140/Oxygen_Not_Included/

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

http://store.steampowered.com/app/617030/Landless/

Looks kinda similar to that raft based game someone linked a few pages ago.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

After watching Alive for the first time (I read the book as a kid), I wouldn't mind a combination of TLD and The Forest.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I agree with the general tone about story mode. The writing is generic and hokey, and some of the voice acting is just bad. I don't mind playing through it and I plan to continue just to say I've done it.

Is Milton in the base game? I don't remember it but I haven't explored most of the new zones fully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

I am now a rock sniper in TLD and it feels drat good. Rabbits are just a slightly mobile form of meat storage.

Am I right that your thumb is basically the aiming reticle?