Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The Long Dark is a hard game to play for obsessive hoarders. :saddowns: I can't bring myself to leave food, drinks, or most medical supplies behind, because of fear that I'll end up stranded in an area without those things and end up desperately needing as many as I can get my hands on. Coupled with how nomadic the gameplay tends to be, and I'm currently toting around 100+ pounds of gear, slowly trudging through the snow.

I did at least give in and start leaving some of my food and water behind, along with firewood, firestarting equipment, and tools, at several key locations. I've now got a string of backup safehouses stocked with basic survival supplies throughout Pleasant Valley, plus at the dam in Mystery Lake.

I last played this game well over a year ago and the game world has literally more than doubled in size. So far I've started in Mystery Lake, gone from there to Pleasant Valley, and just made it to Coastal Highway, all over the course of about 11 days. Been attacked by wolves three times.

This is one of the best horror games I've ever played. When I encountered the wolf in the dam, I had a dull hatchet, a lovely bow, and two crude arrows, and I spent a hot minute in full panic mode frantically dashing around the turbine floor trying to avoid the wolf for long enough to put arrows in its face. I eventually succeeded, but drat, that was pants-shittingly intense.

It seems like rifle ammo is a lot more common than it used to be. Last time I played, it was rare for me to ever find enough ammo to even completely fill the magazine, while in this run through I've got a full mag, two full spare mags, and a couple loose bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I have been enjoying Icarus quite a bit, being able to take on missions in the open world does a lot to give the game structure and the wandering around something of a point, which I like. I particularly enjoy that there's actually a mechanical benefit to you building things like watchtowers, in the form of a passive buff you get from being near one of them which lingers permanently, even after the mission is complete. It results in you kind of naturally filling in the map with outposts and landmarks over time. It also gives you a reason to continue engaging with the building mechanics after you're satisfied with your home base, which is another problem I've run into with survival games before.

However, I started in the Riverlands, and did not realize that all of the early operations start you in the Forest and assume you're down there, so if I want to start doing them in the open world I am going to have to either mount an expedition across almost the entire worldmap to build a new house and then gradually trek my way back up here, or start a completely new map, neither of which are ideal. I'm leaning towards the former just because that does sound kind of badass, I have accidentally given myself a major quest.

My main criticism of the game so far is the animals and how they're basically just zombies, they don't behave like wildlife at all. At first I thought it was really neat that I kept seeing wildlife making their way over to the river to drink, but the shine wore off really quickly when I realized that predators never hunt, the animals never seem to interact with each other at all, and all aggressive wildlife are guided missiles who cannot be shaken off or deterred. Bears will chase you to the ends of the earth and will not stop until they either lose sight of you or you or they are dead. In the early game, before I got good weapons, I eventually just stopped trying to fight or escape from bears, if a bear spotted me I started just letting it kill me, because I knew I wasn't going to escape and trying was just a waste of time.

It also means you really don't have to actively hunt at all past the early game unless you just feel like it. I have a 45-slot cupboard completely full of literal thousands of bones, food is a complete non-issue I haven't had to think about in many hours, and I have enough spoiled meat to keep the animal spawn blockers around my base operational for about 50-60 more hours, which is far longer than I have even been playing the game. Basically all of that is from wolves/horses/boars/etc. suiciding themselves onto my spearpoint. I've gotten pretty good at one-tapping charging wolves with it. It doesn't really make the game more challenging in an interesting way, it's just kind of annoying and boring, and ironically seems to make the game easier once you've figured out how to handle it, since you have infinite high-quality food literally throwing itself at you on a regular basis.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I got a tiny horse in icarus, and its well on its way to becoming a big horse. Hopefully there aren't too many hostile things out there that can kill it.

Why I'm always wary about mounts in conan and ark, i worry while I'm doing something, they'll get killed and I'd be stranded.

This has happened to three of my mounts in Icarus so far and it seems almost like an intentional design decision - hostile wildlife aggros on your mount from extremely far away, prioritizes attacking it over attacking you even while you are stabbing them in the head with a spear, and the mounts will neither run nor defend themselves, they just stand there and die.

I still get use out of them, but I treat them basically like a railroad - they're not something you take out exploring, they're something you use to move from one specific built-up destination to another, never leaving them unattended outside of a fortified safe area.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I was thinking of expanding my dream to basically have the airlock connected directly to a modest sized salvage hold and set up some turbo pumps connected to a signal box(es) where with a push of a button both airlock and hold can be depressurized for EVA suit work while the rest of the ship stays pressurized.

Something kinda like this:

[edit] Every once in a while I'll see a little spark on my ship. At first I thought it was just damaged wiring or machinery, but after doing a pretty thorough cleanup and fixup of my ship, I noticed its still happening. Now I'm wondering if those are actually micrometer strikes? They do seem to occur more often when I'm moving the ship.

Designing your ship and making something that works out of whatever bits you can salvage is my favorite part of the game, and I usually start in the cheapest, shittiest ship I can get my hands on so I can build whatever I want.

On my current playthrough I am also getting into 'ship flipping', where I find the most busted, trashed ship in the yard, buy it for pennies on the dollar, fix it up into something functional, and then sell it for a profit. It takes a few tens of thousands of dollars in startup capital to get the ball rolling, but once you do it can be very very lucrative.

My current ship build started as the homemade salvage pod, the one that's half open to space, and currently looks like this:

You can still see what remains of the initial cargo pod where my character is standing, but I have since stuck so many additional bits onto it that it's unrecognizable. I've added enough value to it that if I wanted to I could sell it, completely pay off the mortgage, and have enough money left over to outright buy a new ship, and I'm not done yet.

12 RCS thruster banks gives me plenty of thrust, and 8 RCS intakes ensure I have boatloads of delta-V, ensuring I rarely need to go back to K-Leg and can spend most of my time working on whatever ship I'm flipping. This is good, because I currently have an arrest warrant, so going back to K-Leg is a gamble every time.

Three battery banks also give me plenty of time between recharges, and I have switches set up throughout the ship allowing me to selectively deactivate power to certain systems to conserve power during long runs - I usually turn off the RCS thrusters and intakes when I'm not actively using them, for example.

Dedicated living quarters allow me to sleep on the float, see to personal hygiene, and eat, further increasing the time I can spend away from the station. My next addition here will be a television for recreation.

My next addition is going to be the biggest and most ambitious - I will be adding a fusion reactor, the fuel tanks for it, at least two additional battery banks, and a CO2 scrubber. In order to maintain my thrust and delta-V this is also going to require adding two more 6-thruster RCS pods and a corresponding number of additional intakes. This should bring me pretty drat close to full self-sufficiency - I'll still need to very occasionally go back to the station to refuel the reactor, but I could conceivably stay out in the yard for weeks at a time.

I may also expand the living quarters with a second bed, because my projects are getting large enough that a crew would be really helpful. I am considering a treadmill, too, to handle bone density loss - Ossifex is really expensive and it's eating into my profits.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 26, 2024

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Doing Hard-difficulty open world missions occasionally nets you a shotgun as a reward option, potentially long before you could realistically make one yourself, and I laugh at bears now

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I like to use hull patches and those deployable temporary walls to seal off sections of derelicts and then pressurize them, to save EVA suit power and also because you work faster outside of the suit.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm enjoying Ostranauts but K-Leg is becoming a mess. Multiple NPCs died because apparently there is a persistent, lasting issue where the idiots just will NOT take off the helmets of their pressure/EVA suits and eventually suffocate. I tried to save a couple by stripping them before they died, but that just locks them into a coma I guess. :shrug:

Yeah it's got several game-breaking issues right now, one of them being that K-Leg will inevitably eventually become an uninhabited ruin full of corpses because people keep asphyxiating in their suits. It also makes running a ship with a crew a bit difficult, because if you don't micromanage your crewmen a bit they'll kill themselves pretty quickly.

the other issue is in the story content they've added, namely the expanding blob of meat, which cannot be stopped, cannot be gotten rid of, continues spawning on new derelicts even after you finish the associated story content, and will quickly fill the entire yard with giant ship-sized blobs of meat, making normal salvaging completely impossible as all your time and energy is instead devoted to beating back the meat tide. it's also so valuable that it completely trivializes the game's economy once it starts spawning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Just give me craftable molotovs and the fire update and it shouldnt be a problem much longer :v

and barbecue sauce