Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've finally solidly progressed into the Bronze Age in Vintage Story. :toot:

Sure took a lot of prospecting to find some chunks with decent bismuth or tin deposits.

Despite all my travels I have yet to find a good source of lime or salt. Also, plates are the worst to hammer out.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I am based close to one merchant, though he often doesn't buy anything I am really capable of mass producing as of yet. I just hit the point where I'm comfortable with selling off copper ingots, though as my copper usage increases with the demand for bronze I might not even do that. I've done the bread trade profitably a few times but I'm struggling with getting enough seeds to do much productive farming. Automation is still a ways off. Hell I only just finally got all linen bags. Progress tho! That chisel artwork is sick.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Koobze posted:

Maybe using the node search mode but with a high setting like 50+ would work ok?

Oof I shudder to think about the performance impact of a node search area that large. That is a whole hell of a lot of blocks to search.

E: Having burned up the durability of two shears pruning pine trees on a search for resin and finding 2 whole trees with a resin spot, I'm cheating myself some. gently caress that.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 22, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah Conan, like Ark, was great fun but I found it best played on a private server with friends and things like gather quantities and inventory capacity increased, and thrall breaking/dino taming time turned down. Plus, no griefing assholes.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I really want to like Zero Sievert but so far the atrocious performance isn't letting me.

I really like the aesthetic, setting, and mood of it. The little shootout I got into was cool. I ran into a rad cloud thinking an artifact might be there, I was wrong. Ran into a bandit camp while trying to run from a pack of wolves, and got gunned down.

All at like 7fps. I know my laptop isn't a killer but good god.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 29, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I tried changing the settings to no dynamic grass, low spec on and lowest grass setting, relaunched the game. Still below 10fps in a raid, though bunker performance is fine.

It takes about 9 seconds real time to reload the AK i started with.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Try disabling fog of war as well.

Eyyyy, protip there. Its playable now.

E: Oh gently caress me ghouls are fast.

Okay 22 raids (and 8 survives) later: this is a pretty charming little top-down stalker/tarkov alike. Quite challenging, and I have been caught out by a few silly little things like:

Sterilized bandages are a small heal but do nothing for bleeds. Oops.
You have to explicitly change ammo type (with Y and the mousewheel), instead of just pressing reload and letting your little man load whatever he wants.
Further, this means there's no mix/match of ammo within a magazine.

Also that village is a fuckin deathtrap. I've learned to only loot the outskirts, or stick to the west side of the N/S road, where there are a couple bandit or loner spawns that can reliably be hit up. But by god do I need some hideout upgrades already. It's rather disheartening to ding a bunch of HP rounds off of a guy's helmet and have to run for your life.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 29, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

* No leather
* No bow
* Have Iron Anvil
* Still the first summer

Fun to see how differently we play

Nice island house!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Godlessdonut posted:

Flax grow time is now 18 days for example, though I have no idea what it yields on harvest.

Gah. Ever more important to get it into the ground asap, huh.

"Chiselling now requires a hammer in the off-hand in Survival mode, but does not consume durability on the hammer" feels to be in the "pointless little thing to remember to do for the sake of immersion" realm.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 31, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Man I wish I had screen shots of the dope house I built our group in Conan. That place was truly fort kickass.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

surprisingly, Conan Exlies does this! Just, you have to recruit new citizens by uh, beating the poo poo out of them and dragging them home by their feet and breaking their will on the Wheel of Pain

Its a little iffy if you think about it, but hey it fits the theme, right?

Plus I had a whole legion of archers guarding my walls, that was rad.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Koobze posted:

- AnvilMetalRecovery but I haven't actually tested it out yet

I'll put in my two cents for this one, with a thumbs up. Its a minor return on material, but anything helps! Plus it gives some economic advantage to using the anvil vs casting, otherwise I would prefer to cast most things that I can.

quote:

My last few runs I did just for fun, playing with different world-gen settings, since I wanted to see if I could run south far enough to hit a warmer climate. I am still not sure how all the settings relate - I mean it sounds like the setting for "distance from pole to equator" should somehow relate to "world height" (presumably being half the height) but this isn't the case and there are local minima/maxima in temperature somehow, though still going south = warmer.

From what I've read the world height (N/S that is) is rather decoupled from the poles and equators. With large enough worlds and/or short enough pole-equator distances, if you just keep running south or north you'll loop over through the pole to tropics to the equator and back and repeat.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 6, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Goreld posted:

In a way, the large radius can make it more difficult to find ore, because it casts such a wide net. Can be better to set it to a smaller radius so you don’t have to create such a huge spider web of tunnels. Mostly the problem is when the layer of ore is jussst below or above you.

Yeah, I keep mine at 8 for this reason. It makes it possible to triangulate ore deposits without having to strip mine too much area.

I should see if there's a modded blasting powder for stone, now that I'm thinking of it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LLSix posted:

Any tips on finding bees in Vintage Story?

When you start a new game, don't chop down the first tree you see once you've made an axe. It's guaranteed to have bees in it, I swear to fuckin god.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LLSix posted:

Thanks. If I'm reading that chart right, cassiterite only gets Ultra High (bountiful) in granite. The surface stone here is basalt, so I should mine down until I hit granite before starting to use the propick in node search mode?

I would, yes.

However the propick reading is only the world generation chance that there will be ore of that type in that given chunk. An ultrahigh reading doesn't mean you're guaranteed to find bountiful ore blocks, it may in fact have rolled with no ore at all despite the ultra high reading.

Still, I would mine down into the granite before starting my branch mining.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 11, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Travic posted:

Ok. With how unforgiving the rest of the game was I just figured extra food was required or else.

Until this series of posts I had assumed the same, and had yet to bother setting up any pens or barns.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Doesn't that take, like, an absurd amount of time? You need something like 8 generations? I don't think I've ever played a game that lasted remotely long enough to get to that point; animals grow up really slowly.

3rd generation is fully domesticated, IIRC.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Nope. According to the wiki:

Oh wow okay. Good to know, thanks!

That is an outrageously long time for most worlds IME.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I toss the fuckers into my irrigation ditch and hope I don't accidentally pick them up again before they despawn.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

"But hey you can chisel some really intricate poo poo together (if you have patience and/or drugs)."

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

min-max bad habits

I still have this as far as "Oh my god I have to find seeds and get crops in the ground now!!!" but other than that, yeah I totally agree. I'll putter around my house, smelting this, hammering that, gathering a few resources to work on this or that wing of the house, and so on. Very chill.

E: Gathering resin can suck it, tho.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Why won't my charcoal burn in the firepit?

I lit the fire and got it up to temp with wood and then put in charcoal to finish the heating. But it won't actually catch the charcoal.

The last piece of wood is still burning (the flame icon that is burning down) once that is consumed, the first piece of charcoal will start. You'll notice the piece of charcoal gets consumed immediately and that flame is refilled and starts ticking down, while the heat increases. The next piece again will not get consumed until the flame burns down.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 18, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OgNar posted:

One step further...
There is also a mod that changes the PDA to not have an Indian womans voice.
Because that is 'too political'.

FFS capital-G 'Gamers' are the dumbest motherfuckers.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

khy posted:

More than anything I want a 3D FPS survival crafting game where I build structures that other NPCs move into and I can build up a town. Give me NPCs that move into houses and I will spend hours, days, and more constructing the perfect village for them.

That game looks like it MIGHT just appeal to me.

Give me a cross between Conan: Exiles, Medieval Dynasty, and The Guild.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I love ZS's soft death system. You don't lose everything ala Tarkov, you're just sent back in time to when you departed town for your raid.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oysters Autobio posted:

Recently watched part of that old Alone in the Wilderness documentary about the older guy building a cabin in I think Alaska and living there for two years.

You may enjoy "four dudes playing Valheim in Alaska", featuring both a raft and a cabin that they build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NWdFll2X8

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah, ZS kicks all kind of rear end.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Hell sometimes I don't even get greedy, i immediately book to an extraction point after getting something and just blindly stumble into a group of bandits

"I'm close to extract I'll just run I don't need to be conservative with my stamina OH GOD BOARS AND WOLVES AAAHHH"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well I finally am feeling like I have my head above water in ZS. I scrimped and saved and finally earned enough for a decent backpack and a sunrise suit, so I won't die immediately in the face of incoming fire. I've got my starter 74u kitted out pretty nicely, and took an MKM from one of the early quests, which now has a nice scope and a 35 (wow) round magazine on it. On more sedate raids I may not even have to reload it!

I took a tip from someone upthread who suggested sneaking into the mall for supplies to make modules from and, uh, it didn't quite go as planned. Instead I came across a Crimson outpost, which got attacked in turn by Hunters (they died horribly), Blinks (oh my god what the gently caress), and then a squad of wandering Green Army mooks. Mission aborted, I just hoovered through the bodies since I'm neutral to both Green and Crimson. I waddled my fat rear end to extract with: A Scar-H, P90, MP5, and some form of semi-auto shotgun, I think.

Now, to figure out some way to repair these things to usefulness.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I barely fought my way through the ghoul lair and escaped with my life, all out of meds.

On the way to the nearest extract I got blindsided by a hunter on the other side of a random rock. :negative:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

Is there a scope for the modern sniper rifle in ZS that I'm missing? Seems completely pointless compared to a tricked out MKM if it doesn't have a scope.

There's the Lion scope (that I most often encounter mounted on p90s lol gotta love loadout rng) and at least one other high magnification scope that can mount on everything, yeah.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Some configurable options for harder difficulty would be nice, yeah. Like losing weapons or certain gear on death.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I do like that it's all about trade offs. Barkeep does sell another class 4 armor in addition to the Sunrise suit, though it requires higher rep. It is less fragile and has better melee protection, but fares worse against radiation and anomalys.

That's a good start in differentiating and giving options, but it could certainly go farther. There are also the military armors, but I like being neutral to both sides.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:mad:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Reinstalled vintage story after a long break, but I suspect I had more mods installed than prospectorinfo. Anyone got some cool rear end essentials they want to recommend?

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1060
BackpackPackPlus, smooths out backpack progression and adds giant endgame ones.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/theshovelerrises
Shoveler Rises increases the durability of metal shoves so they don't feel like a waste to craft.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/hangingoillamps
Hanging oil lamps just look nice.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/sticksfromfirewood
You can knife firewood into sticks.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/helvehammerext
Lets helve hammers work more recipes.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/stonepiles
Store your stone pucks in piles like firewood or peat.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/apswolftweaks
Wolves aren't such assholes.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/amr
Anvil metal recovery returns unused voxels from blacksmithing as metal bits to your inventory that you can smelt down again, also makes tools break into junk that you can chisel into some quantity of returned metal bits so you can recycle a little bit.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/430
Minor QoL tweaks to bloomeries (they drop all their bricks so you're not in a constant cycle of gathering fire clay and making bricks) and skeps.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It is really an early game hump, once you get a better backpack and armor that can stop a slingshot you'll find more confidence. I'll add a few points to what everyone has said:

Don't get greedy! Don't get overconfident! If you have some good loot, or completed a troublesome quest, just gtfo and save your progress. I've extracted a minute into the raid, just because I got lucky and found what I needed.

While armor weighs you down, equipped guns don't. If you're able to do raids with only one gun, your 2nd slot is free real estate to get a gun (and loaded magazine) out! Since AKs will sell for at least a couple grand, this is a great way to make some cash.

Pay attention to dropped guns and what they've come with. A foregrip, better stock, or sight can add a decent chunk of change to the sale price. Or, early on, can be a nice bonus once swapped onto your gun.

You really shouldn't have to be buying much ammo, using 7.62 or 5.45x39 is the key here, cause bandits and hunters will drop it in loads. Bandits more so in later maps (maybe their loadouts scale with your level? I swear they have more AKs now than PPSH's and Skorpions in my game), and Bandits are so lightly armored that ammo type doesn't really matter. 2 shots from an MKM even firing HP ammo will drop them.

Use line of sight to your advantage, don't be afraid to disengage and approach from another angle. Use and abuse right-click long range shots. Spray and pray often isn't the way, but keep your bursts short if you do.

Range is key, so is cover.

Learn what tiny loot sells well, like watches, phones, gold chains, cpu's, Geiger counters. Some big/heavy loot can sell well (wheels are..decent, if you need the cash. propane tanks pretty good. if you're broke an electric motor is EXTRACT NOW) but, especially early, won't be feasible for you to get out with.

Don't ever get over encumbered early on. It'll just be a death sentence.

Remember that you can craft water and bread without any modules, so its worthwhile to collect dirty water and moldy bread. Early on I was also buying out barkeep's water and bread every day just to keep going.

And yeah, #yolo in the direction of the sawmill can be a good way to get some items. Even if you don't gun down everyone outside, there are 4 buildings you can get in/out of that'll have toolboxes or filing cabinets with only one bandit guarding them, just sneak in and out (and run).

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 5, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

BrianRx posted:

Do night runs ever become viable? It seems like you could take advantage of enemies clustering around light sources but I got ambushed by an unseen wolf the first time I stayed out after dark.

Oh absolutely! Enemies like to give themselves away with their flashlights, making them easy to spot and easy targets.

You'll want a headlamp or, better, a set of NVGs but to buy those you'll have to do the first few quests to get access to the Green Army part of the bunker, as well as the dosh to buy em.

NVGs do make it hard to identify enemies, so I will caution you to maybe turn them off and peek at the enemy you've spotted, to make sure they're a hunter or bandit and you're not about to piss off a squad of green/crimson and get wrecked.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I finally killed Kibba :toot:

His difficulty was mostly in running into him around blind corners. The other two bosses are honestly tougher, since they have 9x39 weapons that don't give two shits about your armor.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

From what I've seen it's just the scav box and the bedroom that you directly interact with, and the rest just give standing bonuses/crafting table abilities

The ammo bench lets you harvest a couple hundred gunpowder from it per day, I imagine the garden works the same way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Koobze posted:

A word of caution about those chests though, when I first built the ammo thing I thought that the chest that comes with the workstation was for storing poo poo to use in crafting, and put a bunch of my ammo bits and also real ammo into that chest. It then disappeared and was very upsetting.

Hah, whoops. I wouldn't have thought to store things in that chest. The dev should probably make it impossible to put things into it, to protect against that.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Oh lol i've been missing out on free gunpowder

It's probably about equivalent to looting a weapon box tier 1 and hauling out all that gunpowder, so its not massive, but enough to keep you in ammo for the day.

CuddleCryptid posted:

You don't need a bed at this time because you can just use the bed in the military quarters or the ones in the individual rooms, although I think only the former heals you as well.

I do like the bed for the healing bonus, I have to admit. I'm sure the discord has it all figured out, but I have been mulling over the modules. What do other people think?

S tier:
Ammo

A tier:
Infirmary
Kitchen

B tier:
Bed

C tier:
Workshop (it takes a loooot of weapon parts to repair your own stuff, and by then you're probably rolling in cash so why not do it through the scientist)

Early game useful but falls off:
Recycler

Haven't built yet so can't say:
Scavenger (likely very useful, will build it in place of my recycler once I get the last bits)
Forge (probably useless)
Garden (probably useless)
Gym
Shooting Range