Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

There is a gun in The Long Dark, and you can also scare off wolves by using flares for sure, and maybe other fire sources too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's pretty awful right now, but could become something great in a few years. Basically it's Elite but survival with some building elements. Stick to something like Space Engineers for now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

BernieLomax posted:

Yeah terrible screenshot(s), but actually all sprites (and I think most of the ground) is redrawn. In that screenie the log, cabin and trees including the upper-left display are all redrawn. It's not too obvious, but it absolutely looks better than it did.

I disagree, I think it looks bloody awful compared. The graphics were fine before, its the UI and actually playing the game that needed fixing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bremen posted:

Anyone try Savage Lands? It's Early Access, but it's cheap and they make a good looking trailer.

Savage Lands is great for a few hours, but lacks longevity. It's more akin to games like Rust than something like The Long Dark, but it can have some great moments like when you notice the dragon is actually flying towards you and burns down your entire town.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Really enjoying The Long Dark, but what can I do when wolves are about other than hide in a house and hope they go away? They've been around for a few days now and while I've got plenty of stuff to keep me alive, I'm getting pretty bored and have no gun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Thanks, wish they worked similarly to the dudes in The Forest, where you can co-exist with them but also piss them off and any fights you get into with them are your own drat fault.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

TACO_HERO posted:

Nobody's mentioned this game since the OP, but I love wayward, it's beautiful if you like pixel art, it has a deep crafting system and everything is turn based, like a rogue-like. Something about taking wilderness survival and turning it all into math like a board game is really cool to me. It's updated half often and I started playing again after a recent update that improved the farming system and stuff. I'd compare it to the survival side of minecraft but with way more depth and challenge. Might not appeal to people who like the realism of the long dark, etc. but you might consider trying it on sale or whatever. I've got like 50 hours out of it so far.

If you'd like a mix of that, try Unreal World. It's got the roguelike stylings with survival far deeper than the likes of The Long Dark simply because it's been in development since time immemorial. Also featuring: Spirits and gods! (May or may not actually feature spirits and gods, nobody can really figure out if they are real.)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Just leave that place then. Stop being a baby and go map making.

If a game lets you break it, don't bash a player for abusing that. Bash the game devs for leaving an easy way out, an optimal solution which breaks the game. The guy even suggests a way the game could improve in regards to this issue.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Q8ee posted:

Life gives me the option of robbing stores, mugging people and making GBS threads on the sidewalk. If I did any of those things, my experience would be less than enjoyable. Games are the same. Aye, maybe blaming someone for abusing a game mechanic and burning themselves out isn't the right thing, but pointing at them and calling them a stupid idiot is.

Life (ideally) punishes you for all these things. The Long Dark does not punish you for abusing the near infinite resources available to you in this one location, and a punishment for abusing them was suggested which would in turn make the game better, right?

E: Besides, there are plenty of games out there. If you feel like you've exhausted the game due to its low difficulty level, it's totally fine to stop playing that game and move on to something else and suggest a fix to make it a game that you would be interested in playing again. Is that really that unreasonable?

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 10, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's bad game design to have an obvious solution to the main challenge of the game. Balancing and dealing with exploits are necessary to make the best game possible.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zoe posted:

I don't see any harm in having one area of a game you can just kind of chill in on easy mode tbh. Some people play games to relax. There's the entire rest of the game available if you don't like rabbits and fishing. The entire world shouldn't be out to punish you if you camp in one place a few nights too many, that's just weird.

Easy mode is an important distinction. Of course people should be able to enjoy the game as they wish, but there should also be in-game fixes to exploits and player behaviours. Especially when an easy mode exists, or when the fixes are toggleable, people who complain about the fixes are ridiculous. Looking at you, players of Darkest Dungeon re: Corpses.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zoe posted:

It's a single player game. How angry are you really that other people might choose to play it in a way that isn't challenging enough for you? Playing a game they bought in a way that brings enjoyment is not a behavior that needs to be 'fixed' to force them to play the way you would.

I'm not angry, I'd just like to see better games out there. You need to replace dull issues with interesting decisions. Resident Evil 4, Left 4 Dead and I think Unreal World all adjust their difficulty on the fly in order to create an optimal experience. I'm not suggesting to make gameplay styles impossible, but to introduce more wrinkles and interesting decisions to be made in all styles.

Those who are angry are the ones who are against more options and fair difficulty tweaks, just like with Darkest Dungeon.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

I don't think it's so obvious though, you need to learn the game mechanics, find the specific spot and that takes tens of hours in whats not even the main game mode.

The problem with TLD sandbox is that there's no endgame, not that there's a place where survival is possible indefinitely.

It's possible in other places too you know.

I am aware of that. The issue with the lack of endgame is that TLD sandbox follows the same design philosophy as Project Zomboid (RIP that game), it should be the story of your eventual demise to the wild since there is no win condition.

The suggestion of making the world more hostile to you if you hunker down is a good one for that very reason. Also let's face it, the campaign is poo poo and most people I know prefer playing sandbox.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

have you tried some of the harder difficulties? i think the campaign is such a perfect example of a missed opportunity. instead of going for uhh, whatever they tried to do, a survival visual novel? they shoulda gone with a hardcore survival sim slash myst type mystery exploration puzzle game. you're alone, find out what happened and why by scrounging every little nook and cranny of the game world in search of clues while trying to stay alive. put in a bunch of endings based on how much of the mystery the player solved.

hell, maybe they should add an aging mechanic to the sandbox. once you've played for 30 in game years you die in your sleep

The mystery idea is really where it should've gone, especially with how they bigged up the premise. Perhaps a 'The Forest' style search for a family member and then escape. Aging is interesting as an idea: gather enough materials for a period of time, fast forward and deplete resources in the region, move on. Once the map is fully depleted and you've survived everywhere, sandbox run over. Fixes the infinite survival in a zone issue and forces you to move along.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

People into The Long Dark who want that kinda game but with more to it, try UnReal World if you haven't already. So much more sensible variety of threats along with variety in climate and weather with a whole host of long term survival options including building your own settlement with people in it. It's really quite something and there is nothing else like it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

Right, the finnish thing with the LARP pictures? It's hilarious. I'm sure it's a good game, but I'd love to see a LP of it before buying, because... you know... finnish. Are you doing one? You should do one.

I kinda started doing one but gave up. There's a free version though, which I heartily recommend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Has anyone played Subnautica since the full game launch? Apparently there's a story now, or is just something they slapped on so that they can say there's a story and the real deal is the exploration & base building?

e: Kinda like the lackluster Long Dark story mode

That is the story. You're exploring and base building to get outta there.