Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Space Engineers is fantastic. Last time I was hooked I built an enormous planetside mobile deep drill with complex hydraulic systems and a bunch of auxiliary functions and found a thousand ways to destroy it in cool ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Half the fun of Space Engineers is modding imo so I agree with the post above. I loved just trawling the mod pages for decorative stuff I could cram in my ships and bases to make them feel more alive.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

More than anything I want an actual hard science terraforming game. Make me learn about atmospheric composition, albedo, greenhouse gasses and all that poo poo.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wasn’t Sim Earth kinda like that?

Man, long time since I've played that. Reading about it, it's very complex. I'm guessing I couldn't quite wrap my head around it when I was a kid.

Having it in 3D and first person is something else though. I think it's one of the reasons I ultimately played way more Satisfactory than Factorio, for example.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

FFT posted:

There's TerraGenesis, but it's entirely external, you're just working with satellite images of Mars basically. Kind of an idle game, but it'll go runaway Venusian if you're not careful.

It models atmospheric composition, albedo, and greenhouse gasses (and plenty more) while also updating what the planet looks like throughout the process.

oh dang, might as well check it out since it's on mobile. thanks!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I mean, "please don't make us make any more subnautica games, we've got enough money to expand the team and pay someone else to do it"?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I haven't played it in five or six years, so I reckon there's probably some new stuff in general. Super complex hunger systems have always been an intriguing concept.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Just nabbed Vintage Story. Which settings should I have for the temporal storms?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Jawnycat posted:

Rare and short and/or enable sleeping through them. Even if the storm itself has gotten a really nice visual overhaul with the last experimental build, drifters (the enemies that the storm will spawn en mass) are still the worst part of the game. They are just an uninteresting enemy to fight, both mechanically and aesthetically, and the tougher variants of them are absurdly strong and can't be realistically fought in melee without real armour, a -massive- time and resource investment that will get shredded like paper anyways by said tougher variants. My saltyness about the first full suit of chainmail armour I made evaporating (while working pretty drat well for how little time it lasted) may be colouring that opinion tho.

It's basically "I have to sit inside for X amount of time now". The only real reward is a higher chance of nabbing a temporal gear, but that's only because there's allot more drifters to kill than you'd normally get from farming them for a night.

Right on, thanks. Should I adjust general combat stats (HP and so on) or is the game pretty well balanced outside the drifters?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's balanced to kick your rear end. I tried setting starting HP one notch up from default (20 up from 15 I think?) and it'll still kick your rear end but you can take 3 hits instead of 2. I'd recommend doing that at least.

Also make absolutely certain you enable the alternate mode on the propick and crank it up to at least 6-8 blocks. Hunting for metal ores beyond the immediate surface deposits of copper is an absolute nightmare and you need every advantage you can get. Including this mod, which will save you from having to manually type up and pin the results from each and every prospecting triangulation onto the map. PS: You do have access to a map by default, which took me way too long to figure out.

Also if your starting spawn area is just in the middle of an ocean or giant swamp that it takes half a day to even wade your way out of, or is some other variant of nightmarishly inhospitable geography, consider generating a new world.

Neato. When we're on the subject; any other must-have/super-neat mods I should get?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It is quite possibly the worst humor in a commercially released game, yes. It's of a tier normally reserved for bottom-of-the-barrel fangames and romhacks.

Oh yeah, and while Vintage Story is on the table, don't make a habit of carrying a torch in your offhand unless absolutely necessary; it incurs a +20% hunger penalty. In particular do NOT go to sleep holding a torch. Or wearing heavy armor. Some of its systems are kind of silly.

wait why would a torch make you hungry, what the hell

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh lord.

Anyway, sounds like the final adjustment I should do in the world customization is up the tool durability to %300.

Jawnycat posted:

There are tons of real good and cool mods, the modding community for the game is very healthy and quite expansive. Want farming to be even more realistic with season long grow times, there's a mod for that. Want to worry about ventilation and coal dust and asphyxiations, mod. Want glassblowing, expanded beekeeping, more foraging options and fishing, you bet there are mods for that.

Expanded Foods and CarryCapacity are the two I can't play without tho, but my modlist is extremely long at this point. Take a look through the mod database, filtering for stuff that works with the current non-experimental version.

Neato, I'll give the whole mod site a look later.

HelloSailorSign posted:

There’s a mod that saves the prospecting pick chunk information in game on the map, that’s essential.

Yep, MonkeyforaHead mentioned that one, so that's in the bag.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Me and my friends escaped to Louisville and then to a five story (I think) apartment building and then realized that if we were to keep going it'd just kinda be farming and rote work and none of us had the patience for that (well, I would've been fine with it, but I'm not gonna force my friends to have a bad time).

That was before Christmas though, and it looks like the map is even bigger now. Our next project is Raft after one friend reported back that it's grown a bit the first time we tried it, and I'm wondering Zomboid has changed enough that I should suggest another run.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The most fun thing mid game was cheering each other on when we managed to lose weight after growing obese on junk food we found in bins. Like an even deadlier and more nihilistic version of The Biggest Loser.

Project Zomboid is pretty fun too!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Have they improved Planet Crafters much the last few months?

I haven't checked this thread in a while, but the consensus back when I tried the demo was that while many people found something very nice and relaxing about it, it was essentially a 3D clicker game and the overwhelmingly positive reception on steam seemed a bit blown up. Has it earned that reception now?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

OgNar posted:

I would say its the same game but they have added more content.
More progression and new areas to explore.

But then i'm one of those people who finds it enjoyable still.

Eh, I guess that's enough to go for it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Reinstalled vintage story after a long break, but I suspect I had more mods installed than prospectorinfo. Anyone got some cool rear end essentials they want to recommend?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Perfect, thanks to you both!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

To head things off at the pass, we do have a VS thread if you need specific tips or mod recommendations.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012729&pagenumber=8&perpage=40

Well gently caress! Nice, thanks!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Picked up ZS but I'm not sure I really "get" it. Got mauled by dogs, found six guys with assault rifles who killed me in 0.2 seconds, inventory fills up with stuff I can't make heads or tails of. Can someone sell me on it? It's not giving me the "ah, died, let's go again!" feeling of a soulslike or a regular roguelike.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Bussamove posted:

If you’ve never played Escape From Tarkov it’s hard to explain the appeal, because there’s a very specific sort of brain worm I’m infested with that loves both of them. Both are unforgiving, punish not paying attention, and will occasionally just screw you over with little to no warning. Both reward going out into a map with a plan— searching for a specific type of item, killing bandits/animals for tasks, etc— and getting out while the getting is good because if you push your luck you’ll find yourself dead with nothing to show for it.

Don’t try to slug it out in firefights. Take out one bandit, or even just wing them, then back off to come at them from another angle. Hit and run tactics are the order of the day. At least in forest bandits will check out where they last saw you, then fan out a bit to keep searching. Make good use of extended vision by holding RMB and taking potshots. And of course if you’re too injured and lack healing just run.

There’s a steep learning curve to both but eventually it clicks. The odds are stacked heavily against you at first, so you need to learn the ways of the rat.

The Lone Badger posted:

There's basically no cost to extracting then going back in. Extract early, extract often.

Alright, thanks. I'll give it until the refund period if nothing else.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

ZS ultimately didn't work for me I think. Maybe I'll consider it again once systems are more fleshed out, but as it is, the busywork-to-reward ratio didn't feel right.

Harminoff posted:

God drat son of the forest is looking so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL48xUnGrAM

drat this looks nice as hell. I hope there's a peaceful mode because I could see myself spending a lot of time in a second save just building stuff for the joy of it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

You can still have fun building bases and exploring to gather resources and dealing with NPCs if you enjoy that, but at that point it's more of a sort of idle podcast game or something.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I refunded the game after one and a half hours but I also agree that you're gonna have to restart.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The only reason I think they should restart is because he's just a nice old man, an innocent. Don't care about game mechanics or whatever.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

TeaJay posted:

All is well now

Good, we forgive you. Go in peace.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

What's the consensus on Sons of the Forest? I played The Forest a bit with friends, but I lost interest without friends. With weird companions, a prettier forest and those sweet building mechanics, this seems more interesting. One of my favorite parts of Valheim is just being a lumberjack, as Padams alluded to.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I picked it up with the thought that I could refund it based on posts here, so I've got about 55 minutes to figure out if lumberjackcore is enough. Currently I'm on custom difficulty with all the enemy settings tuned to easy, because peaceful just kinda seems like it would take away a lot of content. I'm considering turning off structure damage as well, but it's hard to know what the proper balance is when one's expectations for the game is so individual.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

So I hear what you're all saying, but part of me wants to just punch the Peaceful button and... chop down every single tree in the forest.

Probably won't! I'll decide later today if I'll refund it and put it back on my waitlist for later.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

I think I remember seeing an animation where you snap your fingers/wave your hand in front of his face and he sorta sleepily ignores it.

I watched a video about it on some game festival or another so I already knew the context, but you're literally just survived a helicopter crash, so it's pretty clearly implied that he's in shock/concussed in addition to having lost his hearing.

SubponticatePoster posted:

That's what I've been doing, and it's pretty enjoyable with no enemies and just a lumberjack sim. I've built a nice little cabin with a porch and chairs, so my AI friends and I will chill there in the evenings and look at the pond/river :3:

Yeah, the urge is truly there. It's a nice forest.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

dogstile posted:

They absolutely should have just leaned into "we're horny gamers, dude".

Like, its still creepy but I far prefer that over the thinly veiled "acktually"

On the other hand, a full throated "YOU WILL REGRET YOUR WORDS AND DEEDS" is preferable to a thinly veilded "acktually", even if it's still bad on the spectrum of all things.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

How is Volcanoids? And if it's good, how is Volcanoids solo? It seems intriguing.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Alright, sounds like I'm gonna let them putter away a bit more. I prefer a 7/10 for my mid-but-enjoyable games.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Nah those fuckers are super loving deadly and you're supposed to avoid them until you're stronger. If they're around your base they've probably got a lair nearby and that's a sign you should find a safer place to build your base.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

My second base the last time I played (playing solo) was a water base in the pond to the north of the oak tree. I had to endure some close encounters, but it was very defensible because I could control the direction of attacks effectively.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The cool thing about Sons of the Forest is that you can avoid escalating conflict with the canibals both by picking your site carefully and by just not being aggressive. You're still not safe, because the wilderness is a dangerous place, but violence begets violence.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Well poo poo, hadn't played in a while. Oh well, hopefully they'll keep at it and make the system cool again even though it's at 1.0 now.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm only seeing beta sign-ups for the mobile version there I think?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

YerDa Zabam posted:

You have to use the launcher thing now I think. The link under the Steam wish list thing. It still says pre load or something for some reason.
This is it I think. It's actually a loader thing called "Loading Bay" just to cause more confusion lol
https://adl.easebar.com/d/g/oncehuman/c/gwcbt3

I think you just have to crate a character before the cut-off

Right oh, made a default looking character and played for a minute before work. Can I make several characters?

Feels like Control Stranding just from the initial vibes tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

YerDa Zabam posted:

Hmm, good question. I don't think so. Well, you can make more on different servers maybe, but the progress will be separate, so I don't think you'd want to. I could be wrong though, so don't take it as gospel.

Ah, well then I'll just pick a different server to actually spend time in the character creator. Not a problem when I'd barely started the tutorial.