Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Weird crossover with the roman/ancient history thread where the other day it was revealed that Roman soldiers primarily used swords to get in close and go for groin/inner thigh wounds

physeter posted:

There's nothing glamorous about it. The shield is there to absorb big calorie-burning hits for as long as it takes the other guy to get tired, at which point the legionary will go for his crotch, belly or inner thighs with a quick thrusting sword that doesn't take many calories to use at all. If he hits, likely a mortal wound. If he misses he can try again, and if not there's another dude behind him with the exact same kit ready to try the exact same thing. They aren't even doing anything particularly difficult, right? I mean it's not like they're doing a triple lindy here. (A) Use shield until other guy is tired, (b) stab tired guy in his dick, (c) use shield and wait, (d) repeat. This is not performative war, they are butchers looking to drain some pigs. The evolution of the flared tip Mainz-style gladius indicates even further enthusiasm for the piggy-draining business, because it delivers more soft tissue damage on either a thrust to the belly, or a quick slice across the femoral aorta. It's a horrifyingly efficient way to fight.

stringless fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Been playing Icarus. My first opinion on it was "this is a game that is deliberately wasting your time."

I still think that's true for the most part (like basically all survival sims), but once you start leveling up and throwing in talent points and unlocking blueprints, it's actually pretty good? They finally added a "sort" button at some point, though it's not very good at it and only works on your main inventory screen lol.

So far the other environment types after "generic survival sim forest" are pretty great too: I've hit desert and glacier/arctic and they definitely change up how you play it.

jesus i'm nearing 40 hours in it

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

If they want to do Instance based stuff the progression per level should be faster/higher tier being cheaper etc, specifically the deep drills they just added are great but so slow it's pointless to use them. It takes like an hour for 60 ore which is nothing.
Did a run this weekend with two people, got 180 or so exotics between the 15 from a cave and ~165 or so from a radar-detected deposit with two miners on it.

But yeah, I'm pretty happy with the update pace at least and totally agree with you on having some persistence, but I do understand why that'd be a big ask.

stringless fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 2, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Icarus rambling since it came up a couple of days ago:

Haven't played in a few weeks but have been reading the weekly updates -- good stuff!

It's pretty rough when you first start playing (I described it as "deliberately wasting my time") but as you unlock stuff and acclimate it starts to click. The mission time limit (which is tracked more reasonably now) makes the "gather resources -> build shelter/gear -> repeat but at the next tier up" process have a logical end: when you feel comfortable enough to set out to finish and then (possibly with some trial and error) complete the mission and get out.

It's got the outpost mode for building up "permanent" stuff; the resources are still limited but they reset when you launch out. Plus you can still earn XP in it lmao

The external currency system is at least interesting. Successfully completing prospects earns you the basic cash to "research" and "craft" things you bring with you when you land, but if you don't bring those tools/weapons back with you when you launch out you'll have to pay the crafting cost to have them on the next prospect.

The top-end arrows are 500 to research but only cost 10 to craft a pack of 25, great buy since they only have a 5% break chance. Get that and the "Jijing" bow ASAP (or at least after the basic 3D-printed knife/axe/pickaxe). I also highly recommend the water and O2 bottles, they're way better than you can make in-game at least until you're past steel production.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

You claimed to be level 10 two days ago when you posted about it so yeah, it definitely seems like it's grown on you lmao

I've never personally bothered with getting to the "making a gun" tier because the worst things I've gone up against are polar bears and elephants and a longbow + bone arrows to soften them up plus an iron knife at a high stabbing rate is nearly always enough to deal with them.

4+ wolves before making decent armor can be a death sentence, though. And one of the arctic missions just piles them on; I killed at least 36 wolves between starting the scanner at the first point 'til I got back to the temperate zone having completed the scanning mission, and most of those wolves were hunting me down at the time.

The most unfortunate thing is that successfully returning to your compatriots' base camp with a whole bunch of fur and leather and meat and bone doesn't really matter since you've finished the mission and it's time to run back to your individual launch pods.

stringless fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 4, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

More than anything I want an actual hard science terraforming game. Make me learn about atmospheric composition, albedo, greenhouse gasses and all that poo poo.
There's TerraGenesis, but it's entirely external, you're just working with satellite images of Mars basically. Kind of an idle game, but it'll go runaway Venusian if you're not careful.

It models atmospheric composition, albedo, and greenhouse gasses (and plenty more) while also updating what the planet looks like throughout the process.

stringless fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 7, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

GruntyThrst posted:

Just make Astronautica. Instead of dying to no oxygen underwater you die to no oxygen in space while a giant space shark tries to eat you.
Astroneer is pretty good, but it doesn't have any biological hazards besides some plants

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

LGIO just did a video on Planet Crafter

and the first thing he breaks? perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTpRsEp-_04

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Jawnycat posted:

And it goes pretty heavy into managing your mental health as a thing, which is rare in survival games, balance on that is still being worked tho. Making monkey friends is cool.
The implications of putting these statements next to each other are pretty funny

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

"card-based" completes the set imo

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Pacific Drive gives me a BSOD every time I try to start the car for the first time, so.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Umbreon posted:

What's the STOP code for that BSOD?
"System thread exception not handled" on Wdf0100.sys

Looking this up has not been helpful, hard crashed five times at the exact point the ignition process finished, twice after doing the generic recommended steps I found (plus uninstalling, reinstalling, and starting a new save, and turning DLSS off and other video settings down)

stringless fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 22, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I mean, yeah, probably, I've got way too many audio devices plugged in. But this has never been an issue before whatever audio file is breaking it now.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Since trying to turn on the wagon for the first time in Pacific Drive BSODs me every time and it's got its own thread now,

Anyone else playing Nightingale? It's pretty grindy but the vibes are keeping me in. Haven't had the lag issues some people have complained about, and learning from a loading screen that you can just hold the interaction button to pick up all the stuff in your vicinity instead of the finnicky bullshit that it is if you pick up each hide and bone or whatever has made it even better.

I'm up to the point where I could start making a gun, but I don't have enough metal or gunpowder to justify it yet. Game's neat!

/e: oh it's got a thread too

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 28, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The crafting mechanics in Nightingale are indeed grindy. It's neat how all the different variants of materiala have different effects on what you make with them, but storage is a bit of a hassle

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Mendrian posted:

Nightingale in its current state is very much about the vibes. The combat is samey and bad.
I'm not sure the sound effect when you land a crit/hit on a weakspot will ever get old, though.

Just swinging a decent woodaxe directly into a charging hippo's face, glass breaks

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The oxygen issue was my least favorite part of Icarus. Also, there's water, and you can drink it, and it only poisons you sometimes.

Once you unlock starting gear it's pretty smooth, though. I don't regret the time I put in it and/but it's been months since I've played it. Kinda want to get back in since there are mounts now that apparently you can abscond with and bring to the next mission

Oh, that was a big weak point, you drop in, build a base, do the things, and then it's all erased except for the credit and the stuff you've bought with that credit that you came in with. That's clearly different now that they've made open world a thing, maybe?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Factorio is basically a survival sim and it never goes on sale and I respect that.

Don't think I've played it since '22 but I keep it installed and updated and they keep updating it...

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 18, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Arrath posted:

Lets Game it Out has a series of videos of breaking that game over his knee, its pretty entertaining.
The second or third video he does a "hold please" while he plants All Of The Tomatoes. I managed to catch that livestream and yeah he just actually spent hours planting tomatoes

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Icarus was a ton of fun in co-op, and it's been more than a year since I last played it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Pax Dei has crafting difficulty levels and if you fail you lose most/all of the mats involved. It's also never clear what can be harvested except for poo poo that's already on the ground, I looked around and swung my pick at all the rocks and none of them were interactable. The basic wood axe you unlock can only cut half of the tiniest trees, the others are "too hard". You have to find clay and flint somehow to work up to a furnace and various other crafting tools. There doesn't appear to be an inventory weight limit, but you only have a limited number of inventory spaces and the max stack levels are hilariously low. You need iron and/or some other mats to make the most basic storage containers, so if you've been picking up various mushrooms, berries, animal bits, "lol"

I can't think of anything it does well except maybe that recipes unlock when you've gotten a mat involved in them.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The "craft max" bit actually made sense in combination with the failure chance and the fact that you can't move around while crafting, so you just wait til you finally get as many as you need then stop the process.

It is still very bad.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

There's a new one with a free demo called Soulmask. Its gimmick is you have a mask attached to your face that you can do stuff with. Mostly it seems to just be used to make friends like Conan, but from the neebs video i watched, seemed kind of clunky as you need to attack a potential friend and get their health closed to low before you can make friends.
So, Pokémon again?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Started playing AF, day two there's a robot still traipsing about looking for me even though it's "daytime". The backpack limitations suck. Still neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The Last Starship is a work in progress.