Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
This is the nerdiest thing that I've ever done in my life, and it could be the nerdiest thing you'll ever do in your life too!

If anyone in is in the NYC area/a bus ride away and wants to watch the quarterfinals of Dig v TSM at a bar and drink, I'm going to go watch it at a bar with some group called League of Libations.
The fb event is: https://www.facebook.com/events/310349662480388/ .

I'm 'pls no bm' in game, so if you've ever played with me and somehow don't hate me you should come. "PaschalRandolph" aka semicolonsrock will be there as well, so if you like him better that's a good reason to come.

It's this Saturday and you can fit it in before going out or heading back to cry in your apartment like I'll be doing.

Email me at foooutre@gmail.com if you're interested and I'll give you the details. I'm cross-posting this to the competitive thread as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Ugh, I got DDOS'd out of the match that would stop my decay out of gold and get me into promos to get into gold 3/4.

League hackers internet pipes God why do you hate me so.

At least Azir seems like he'll be a fun support.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

nrook posted:

I would literally recommend playing a grand total of 2 champs, your favorite top laner and some guy who doesn't lose hardcore to your favorite top laner's hard counters. Top lane is about incremental advantages, and you are only going to accrue those advantages if you know your champion like the back of your hand.

Or play heimerdinger and just win every lane.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

I hate the idea of Silver players going, "I'm not going to let my SILVER teammate have blue buff!"

Dude, you're in Silver as well. Your teammate's lane opponent is also in Silver. Midlaner blue buff vs no blue buff is going to be a blowout whether both players are in Bronze or Challenger.

My rating on my smurf decayed out of mid-gold, but my mmr stayed low plat and it's pretty entertaining when someone's like, "so and so sucks" to just say "hey man, we're all silver here, we all suck." People get really shockingly mad.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Streaming some late night goon normals, http://www.twitch.tv/mmmyes .

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Cass's Wizard's will miss you, but remember, if you go afk for 2 months you can always decay back to us!

Grats~

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Transient People posted:

I don't see tits there. If you wanna get mad, the better thing to get mad about is her bottom half. Rocketjumping with no shoes on? Rito pls

Or get mad about how her firefighter skin isn't a huge hat with a tiny yordle anymore. I don't like the new model for that skin nearly as much as the old one...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

xeose4 posted:

Don't you think that there are mages that benefit from both a RoA and either a Morello or an Athene's? I'm saying because Lissandra was given atrocious MP5 due to her passive and while you can skip RoA and build her full glass cannon, you WILL run out of mana in the middle of a teamfight if you build just a RoA given how expensive her Qs are.

If you're having mana problems in lane as well, make sure that you, in general, aren't just using abilities to control waves. If it's shoving towards you too hard to stop, or you want to push and roam, then of course it's fine. However, generally during the early laning phase you should pretty much just be using your autos to control the creep wave while you harass with abilities.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Bond is playing in a game on imaqtpie's team! http://www.twitch.tv/imaqtpie

e: Also playing with Kiwi~

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

League trivia: Tibbers counts as a minion for purposes of relic shields. I know that's not the case for Morde's pet, but is it the same for the portal minions/voidlings/ghouls? For some reason that surprised me, though I suppose it makes sense.

Also, although I'll be interested to see what Libertine's stats say, I'm pretty sure Sejuani is one of the strongest junglers right now (she's just behind Jarvan in win rate, fourth overall, and feels really solid to play) and I would very much recommend picking her up on sale if you're looking for a good new jungle option and don't have her yet. The new jungle item that restores mana and hp on smite gives her really solid sustain in the jungle after her first clear, and her ganks and teamfighting are still brutal.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

^^^ Fwiw, no pros are doing this, but if it feels better to you by all means go for it. I feel like she has just enough damage on her w to remain somewhat relevant, and I like the longer life for outputting more cc but ymmv.

Phenotype posted:

Hmm. I played a game with her yesterday, and while I did pretty well, I still thought she had a really hard time in the jungle. I did Gromp>Blue>Red and was at about 66% HP when I ganked top afterwards, which wasn't bad. It felt like her clear never got any easier, though--I got the purple AOE upgrade into the Tank enchantment, and then just built tank according to the game, and without an offensive item, it felt like it took forever to clear a camp even when my smite was up. Even though I went like 7-2-30, I felt poor all game because I simply couldn't stay farmed up without spending way too much time afk in the jungle.

Huh. I found that w + e was a pretty quick clear, and I generally got enough gold from kills + assists with heavy ganking that not only could I force the other jungler to stop farming and respond, but I've also consistently been the first or second most farmed on my team thanks to really high kill participation. I guess what I meant about a "better clear" is just that I was consistently high enough to not be vulnerable to counterjungling, not as much that she was a great farmer.

Unrelated:

They're changing attack move so that it prioritizes whatever is closest to your cursor (within 200 units) which I personally think should be great, but it looks like there's a lot of complaints about "dumbing down the game", and who knows how it'll feel in game: http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/gameplay-balance/E49lA2pw-experimental-attack-move-change-going-to-pbe .

foutre fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 23, 2015

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

morning wood posted:

Fellow Aspergers survivors: I need some help not sucking at Teemo. Most of the builds/guides I've read are completely different and it seems like there isn't a generally accepted "use this and you should be ok" guide. I just want to live up to the Teemo role of being the bane of the enemy team's existence. Some build/rune information and play style tips would be greatly appreciated.

There aren't that many good teemo players out there, unfortunately, but I think this is a pretty good basic build that I stole from Overpow, who I think is the best player who picks teemo at a high level (only in solo q, but still):

Flash/TP

Zhonyas/Rabadons/Morellonomicon/Sorc Shoes/Void Staff/Lichbane, not in that order.

Skill q,e,w max in the same order.

Magic Pen Reds, Ability Power quints and Ability Power at 18 blues, and Armor yellows.

21/0/9 masteries.

You can also build bruiser teemo and attack speed teemo, but I think the above is probably the strongest. If you do play it, remember that your shrooms are great waveclear for splitpushing, and go burst burst burst.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

My friend was a Silver 3 support main, and she was legitimately a mid Silver player. Somehow she went 10-0 in placements and she's Plat IV. :psyduck:

Most people say unless you have Platinum mechanics and you're only marginally better than players in Silver/Gold, it's hard as poo poo to carry yourself out of Silver/Gold reliably. But once you get to Gold III, you can probably get to high Platinum.

What. I'm currently 7-2, starting at Gold 4 0 LP. I imagine 8-2 won't be enough for anything above gold 4 again, but I can dream, right?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

I think it could be, depending on what order the games were won.

7-3 at gold 4 was enough to place Gold 2 -- probably 8-2 would have been Gold 1. Looks like I would have had to 10-0 to jump to Plat. Oh well, I think my mmr is already mid-low plat so I should gain hella lp.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Libertine posted:

There are much better Ezreal / ADC players than me, you, Tonetta or Bond. They certainly don't need it any more than we do.

Yet... They all use those two points with zero exception.

Although, according to Lolskill.com, Bond is the second best Ezreal in North America (and he's 12-1 to the other guy's 6-4), and 24th in the world (and a lot of those players are in weak regions like OCE, Turkey, and EU NE). So, by some metrics at least there really are very few better ezreal players (I know lolskill doesn't mean much, but it's still pretty cool).

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

i think we should respect his opinion and not just dismiss it because high profile players dont agree with it. I only play off-meta and so many things i do show up in the pro scene long after i started doing it. played support and roam blitz in ranked for like 30 games straight because blitz was overpowered as a support but I was half a year ahead of the pro scene on that one when today it seems inconceivable for some how blitz was simply not played as a support or in any role for that matter

Also, the odds of Deft or whoever theory crafting for/focusing practice just on Ez seems pretty low. They could be better players overall, but that doesn't necessarily mean their spec is better for ez.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Rahtas posted:

Streaming again pretty furiously - twitch.tv/rahtas
Just doing the bronze ranked dream until I hit plat or a goonmans develops. Like a fine film.

Lemme know all the things I do wrong with my character, my stream, my face, and my life (at least the parts you can see!)

If you like cass, go for it, but she's pretty mechanically demanding and you really have to be good at kiting/skill-shots to get the most out of her. I would practice moving away between each spell cast -- her q and w have movement effects for a reason!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Why is it like this even when I restart

You unlocked the new client early, congrats~

Also, have people already seen Warring Kingdoms Nidalee? Because this is a loving cool skin:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Ahri has a 55-57% win rate right now... I guess those were buffs.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Transient People posted:

You're trying to read too deeply into it. He's agreeing with you.

Saying that women don't play games because there's societal pressure to procreate is hardly saying the same thing. It ignores a lot of what the systemic sexism in our society entails, fails to acknowledge the agency men and women have in fighting it, and a lot of people use the "bio-truths" interpretation of it to try and disarm legitimate critique and mitigate their responsibility for the poo poo experience women often have trying to play videogames.

I know that Libertine didn't intend it that way, but pretending that what Libertine described is the reason, or even most of the reason, that women have such a hosed up time in video game communities is absurd and should absolutely be called out as wrong.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

e: nm

foutre fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 3, 2015

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Ironsolid posted:

Yeah, you're right. I should be upgrading that item first. In good games, I'm sitting on 800 gold from harass at 6 minutes. This is, of course, in games where I can harass non stop.

Speaking of Harass, I was against a Zilean support with Ashe on my team, and I'm fairly sure the League of Legends bylaws state something about prepare deal with idiots when you lane with an Ashe. Christ, this kid raged beyond belief because I wouldn't harass Zilean over and over. Though, this is also the same kid that got baited by Zilean's ult and raped by Jinx moments later.

V Pings, how do they work?

Woah, no, you definitely should be building sightstone before you upgrade your gold item. The amount of money you save on wards is going to be much, much greater than the amount you get from your gold item -- think about it. The first time you bring out your sightstone, you get 300 gold of wards out of it, and by the time you've placed 6 wards (so, after your first back) it becomes gold efficient and after that is just better and better. Meanwhile, the upgraded coin, say, becomes efficient once you get 465 gold for it which takes 155 minions of gold minus the amount passively generated (2/10 secs, sans minion deaths it takes about 40 minutes to become gold efficient, and they only shave 15 seconds off that time so it's still hella long). Even if you get an upgraded spellthiefs edge, which with heavy harass becomes gold efficient in about ~5 or 6 minutes, without a sighstone and ward coverage you'll be in constant danger of dying if you go to harass aggressively because you'll just get ganked. So, from that perspective you're using your gold better.

Also, the amount of farm your adc will be able to get on account of not dying to ganks/the farm you can deny because you can play more aggressively is good, the ability to control dragon etc. etc. Junglers can gank from the lane, not just the tri/dragon, and in bronze people generally do a poor job of defending pink wards (assuming that people don't get worse at it as you move into higher elos) so odds are good your pink would die for free and you'd get ganked from tri anyway.

ALSO once you get sightstone you can afford to get sweeper, which means you'll open your opponents up to ganks, especially if they try and get away with only having a pink and one green.

From a purely philosophical perspective, it doesn't make sense to prioritize your own gold generation in a lane where the purpose of you being there is to facilitate your adc getting farm. Yes, there are situations where your adc just loving sucks, but even then I think the best way to get your other lanes that hopefully don't suck as much ahead is to give them ward coverage/gank for them with sweeper.

Last off, for an appeal to authority, on probuilds I couldn't find any pro players upgrading their gold item first (although if I really dug maybe there's one somewhere). Instead, they all build sightstone.

Sorry, I know this is a lot of words, but it's just objectively worse to upgrade your gold item first but somehow the myth remains.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

rafq posted:

I think there are a few exceptions - upgrading to Frostfang before buying Sightstone seems to be somewhat common on Zyra, for example:

http://www.probuilds.net/guide/EUW/1924522926/394076
http://www.probuilds.net/guide/EUW/1936343979/254943
http://www.probuilds.net/guide/KR/1711816865/13931178
http://www.probuilds.net/guide/NA/1706291466/31804754

What you said does make sense for the majority of supports, though.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about her. I imagine for her/morg where you proc it constantly the rule of thumb could be broken.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Speirs posted:

I just lost promos for the 6th time. Making it 11 AFK promo games out 18...

Almost carried it, but one game had an AFK, and then we had a "Full AP Sona" who refused to build Locket(against a 4 AP team) because she didn't know what it was, looked at it and said, " Why do you want me to build tank items?"

She then went 4-18 and still refused to build any support items.

Someone please get me out of this elo. Please..

If it's any consolation, I lost like 14 promos to Gold 4 in season 3, over 10 of which had at least 1 afk or feeder, and 6 of which had 2 or more. Promos...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

ahri adc used to be fun, now with the q movement buff she has to be even better

There was some tournament (maybe an IEM) back when CLG was pretty relatively good where a Brazilian team brought out the Ahri adc pocket pick, stomped Doublelift and his support in lane, and only lost because the Ahri decided to dive nexus turrets to try and solo Doublelift... It was really cool, until that happened and the slow death and rapid outscaling began.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

e: Ugh this was mean, nevermind. Gowby reevaluate your approach to the game, good lord.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

One time he sang nothing but michael jackson and carried the game by himself but the time before that he was having a temper tantrum and kept trying to ragequit before he got carried by me and a plat azir so I really have no idea. No one does. It's a legitimate mystery.

He rages really easily, either when he does poorly (which is not infrequently) or when other people do, but whether it's him or someone else loving up he blames someone else. He doesn't understand that what "win lane, lose game" really means most of the time (especially at the level he plays at) is that he doesn't know how to capitalize on an advantage.

A case study: in his streamed game, he went 2/5, and said that he "did awesome" and if only the solo lanes hadn't lost (which he, as the jungler who can gank, of course had no control over) he would have won. Which is a little like saying "if other people did well, I would win" but he doesn't really get that.

I realize this is pretty harsh, but he really is the most annoying goon I've ever played with, and the only person I have ignored on SA and leave games if he joins. He is either a non-factor, or sucks the fun out of a game by whining. I absolutely don't care that he's not very good, but the fact that he just ceaselessly finds ways to blame other people for his mistakes, and is such a dick about criticizing other people (whether or not they're doing better than him/carrying him) is just not worth putting up with.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

What do you consider "Stupid bad" elo? Because anything lower than bronze 2 you can get away with literally anything

*or anything lower than your skill level, or that you're good at

I got to Gold 5 on my smurf (and the highest I've gotten on my main is Gold 2) playing support Yi and jungle Heimerdinger. That's a relatively small skill difference, and not super low elo, but I managed a ~60% win rate playing champs I'm not that good at in poo poo roles.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

vandalism posted:

I have been playing this game for a bit and I'm terrible. Only played versus twice and have been blown away both times.

Although since you just started you probably aren't that great, low level games very rarely consist of more than 5 or 6 low level players. I'm introducing my girlfriend to the game and every game has players with names like "Yasuo to 30" or "Smurfling" or "Best Apdo" or whatever that indicate they're obviously smurfs. I've been playing support to try and not just roll low level players, but most of them play snowball mids (Katarina is popular) or Master Yi jungle or whatever, and most games turn into one smurf or the other just running away with the game. I actually haven't yet had a game where we haven't played a bot lane where one or both of the players on the enemy team were smurfs.

Although some of them are on low level accounts in order to play with low level friends, a lot of them are solo q'd and incredibly toxic towards the actual low level players. Definitely supports the "people who got banned on their mains make low level accounts" theory.

Mind, most of the time the smurfs are still bad players for level 30s (think bronze/low silver), but it really does mean that unless you are A) a smurf and B) trying to snowball you probably aren't going to be able to impact the game much at all.

At first I felt guilty for going into low level games, but at least when I'm in them I can provide helpful advice to the low level players/tell them about the report function for the toxic people.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Methanar posted:

Queue times getting long now boys

I play teambuilder for the high elo experience: long queue times and jungle teemos.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Jolly well posted:

id rather see methanars games in high elo to see what its like climbing to the top of matchmaking than read a bunch of silver ppl complain about top lane or whatever the gently caress

Yeah, I actually appreciate the updates (pictures of gross mugs and food excepted).

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

If you want critique/advice I'd watch youtube vods if you like. I'm only high Gold, but I could still maybe help with some bits.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Droxis posted:

Was in a game against this guy and legit hope all gimmick accounts suffer from some minor STD that causes discomfort and shame but no actual lasting effects.

I'm reasonably petty.

He's a goon, and is actually maybe better at Kalista/Orianna than Ezreal so uh RIP.

e: Also, I just stomped an Azir in lane as mage fortune in a Nemesis Draft game. I think it's safe to say he's been overnerfed...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Marceline Abadeer posted:

THE ELO TRAIN WAITS FOR NO MAN.

jk I can drop some wards or something, I don't really do much.

Ugh Marceline I claim next in line for gettin carried~

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

King Cobweb -- this may not be true, but I'm pretty sure that Dolphin Cop and GreyPowerVan were at one point at least diamond support players. Dolphin Cop has some really loving weird builds, but they're still pretty effective. As an addendum though, unless I'm misremembering, GPV pretty much only plays morg as support in ranked, but he's really good at her so hey.

e: Also, can I just add, as the first goons in a goon Gold league it's hosed up that only me and Mira were in Diana's Warlocks. And that Mira abandoned me for platinum :(

foutre fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 19, 2015

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

KicksYouInHalf posted:

He goes to Carnegie Mellon so I don't think he gives a poo poo about you or league beyond having fun.

League is his ticket out of the shithole that is Pittsburgh though. The Left 4 Dead hospital is modeled exactly after the Mercy one in Pittsburgh -- it is literally post-apocalyptic.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

i am not diamond at the current moment however i hit diamond 1 last season and peaked at around rank 1000.

edit: @foutre, yeah i got there by playing mostly Morgana but i didn't have bad winrates on other supports. I just really enjoy playing morg.

Oh yeah, I just remember you going on an absolute tear with her in particular -- she was my favorite champ s4 also. I didn't realize you'd made it so high though, nice.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Jokes on them I haven't needed IP for years.

I just bought some energy runes because I was out of better runes to buy.

I play this game too much...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

actual things ive had to do to get people to upgrade trinkets in bronze 1:

begging
promising to honor them
deliberately getting my team to follow me into obvious ganks and then going 'boy, if we had some wards we'd have spotted that'
promising to buy them skins (i did not)

is jungle teemo possible? you can run him top, mid, adc, and support, so once i have jungle figured out ill just play nothing but him so we have some goddamn vision

It's a thing, but not a good thing really. You should run ignite, walk to their 1st buff if you can manage it or 2nd if not, sit invisible in the bush, smite the buff and kill them. Then proceed to counter gank, and shrrom all over and feed a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Transient People posted:

Abusing your absolutely stupid ratio and base damage on Valkyrie for sick kills? :v:

Or start dorans blade, keep the lane off tower, use q to clear, and wait till 6 when you get OP.

And by OP i mean ok.

• Locked thread