Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
How is Libertopia not a videogame yet? Or is it Minecraft?

Helsing posted:

Who are "you" to make decisions for the nucleus accumbens?

The Libertarian Thread: Who are you to make decisions for the nucleus accumbens?

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

SedanChair posted:

This is clearly aggression! You can't just declare yourself to be the head of the government, General! There's not even supposed to be a government! This isn't in your contract! Hey hey hey what are you doing! Your bayonet is committing aggression against the boundaries of my wolf shirt! Hey! Are you listening to me!? Now it's inside of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJKqCn5Du0

Basically the same thing

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You must be new to Jrod threads. He's notorious for not addressing, well, anything that seriously challenges his feverish delusions. At most you'll get a one-two line handwave about how it either doesn't matter or never would happen in the best of all possible worlds.

That's because jrod is correct. His postulates are correct, so his program must work, even when it demonstrably doesn't. Any foolish attempts to prove he is wrong, such as by asserting facts about the world, cannot be met with anything but derision and denial. If and when he is irretrievably proven wrong, as with the NHS analysis, he simply becomes more defiant. This is essentially how all arguments with libertarians work.

My libertarian cousin once told me that we don't need new banking regulations in the wake of the Great Recession, because people will simply stop getting their mortgages from the banks who were guilty of fraud. I informed him that this was 2013, and several banks had been fined or settled with the DOJ for fraudulent activity, that BOA was currently being sued, and that in spite of this the 5 largest banks in America own 44% of the industry. He told me I was wrong, and that the government was clearly interfering with people totally shutting the big banks down through boycott and magic.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

How about an Ultimate Warrior economy, instead of a Road Warrior economy?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Still more coherent than anything Molyneux and Rothbard have written.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

paragon1 posted:

If my DRO decides that the cost of resolving things in my favor is too great when measured against potential loss from dealing with my enemy's DRO, and all the DRO's use the same industry standard calculations to reach the same conclusion, what are my alternatives?

Sounds like this situation is all your fault. Maybe you should take some personal responsibility! (kill yourself)

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Psykmoe posted:

The initial DRO world salad claims that organized crime only exists because it gets incentives from the state, such as an easily bribed police force. Since Libertarians believe the state is directly responsible for organized crime, it won't exist in a stateless society, because DROs with only the oversight of...rational actors ( :v: )probably won't be interested in taking large amounts of money to look the other way.

Whoever wrote that has obviously never studied organized crime. Holy poo poo, it has absolutely nothing to do with the existence of police. There is almost no difference between the mafia and a DRO. For that matter, there is virtually no difference between a common street gang- many if which provide their communities with protection, dispute resolution, jobs, limited safety net payments, and basic public goods- and a DRO.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Radbot posted:

Lol Hamas is a literal DRO

Currently engaging in some market competition with DRO Israel. All of those dead children probably deserved it because they didn't choose to be covered by the more powerful DRO.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Yeah, it isn't like an-cap deserves anything but derision, whether we've been lumping it in with jrod's nonsense or not.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

This is what comes to mind every time I hear Libertarians talking about the Minimum Income, or any social programs, really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3RHnKYNvx8

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

So, all I can take from this thread really is that libertarians are like virgins telling others how they should have sex.

Whenever I press my few libertarian friends for details, they always come back with "Well, the free market will form that.". It's like a bunch of people who claim to not believe in a higher power....believing in a higher power. Replace "free market" with "God" and it kinda works as a religion.

FDR dealt with these people too:

FDR posted:

These millionaires are a funny crowd. They are perfectly willing to go along with lip service to broad objectives, but when you ask them to help put them into effect by any form of practical means, they howl in opposition and decline to suggest any other course.

Basically, this is lesson one in dealing with Libertarians.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Socrates16 posted:

Gotta love the bootlickers thinking that corporations actually are restrained by the state that creates them. Absolutely adorable!

You've clearly never worked in a kitchen before. Have you ever even worked before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

tbp posted:

I think a big part of the problem is the disproportionate influence institutions such as "the banks" and wealthy individuals have on our governmental process, which helps neuter punishment where it is due and enforcement of regulations in times where all seems peachy.

As well, I think the complicated nature of the Financial Crisis is a bit over the head of many who like to talk about it often, leading to confusion and misplaced anger.

Well perhaps misplaced isn't the right word, but it seems often skewed by a poor understanding of what occurred.

It is a complicated story, but there aren't many people here who don't understand what happened.

• Locked thread