Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

jrodefeld posted:

Do you understand the concept of time preference? If I have a high time preference it merely means that I prefer goods sooner than later. Does that make me inferior? Does that make me less intelligent? If there are observed differences in time preference between different cultures and racial groups, why is it inherently racist to point that out?

Hans Hoppe also made the point that people who have children have, on average, a lower time preference. As a way of illustration he mentioned that, again on average, single people, gays and nuns have a relatively higher time preference. Since a parent usually makes long term plans for the future, even after he or she is dead, for the good of their children, their time preferences are very low. Someone who doesn't have children will, on average, not save as much for the future and be more likely to consume more of their wealth before they die.

This doesn't mean that people who don't have children are intellectually inferior to those who have children! It is simply logical given the different priorities that come from having children.

Do you now see how ludicrous it is for you to claim that comparing average time preference differences between cultures is inherently racist?

Dude, you're racist. Embrace it.

Edit: The term "Academic Racist" describes your views well. SPLC has some good articles about academic racism and historical revisionists.

Cercadelmar fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Read the thread

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
It's only a coincidence that white people are naturally better at time preference, honest.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
"Discrimination is no big deal"-a white man

JR should just do what tea partiers do, and wear his prejudices with pride. I respect Ted Nugent infinitely more than a man who insists that there are no racial undertones in modern libertarianism.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Jrode, I think you're confused as to why people care so much about how discrimination will be handled in libertarian society.

jrodefeld posted:

But at least she was never caught saying the n-word! Racism is reprehensible. But shouldn't acts of aggression and policies that actually hurt more than someone's feelings be considered a little worse?

Like right here it tell us pretty much all we need to know.

African-American Civil rights, the women's liberation movement, and the grape strikes were all about people's feelings getting hurt apparently. Really what's clear is that as a person who's never experienced discrimination, you're unable to acknowledge the fact that for a lot of minority groups, racial or otherwise, the government is one of the few institutions that can enforce their equal rights. I don't think you can really understand why people give such a poo poo about racism without recognizing that there is more to discrimination than just mean looks.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

jrodefeld posted:

I think it is disingenuous for you to automatically assume that anyone who even touches upon these questions is motivated by racism, whether it is Hoppe and his suggestion of differences in Time Preference between some cultures or even Charles Murray in The Bell Curve. These questions are not as clear as you seem to think they are.

The Bell Curve is not the hill you want to die on JR. It's social Darwinist pseudoscience at its finest, and I'd hate for you to be mislead about a worthless rag like that.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
What do you think the public outrage would be like if a prominent shoe manufacturer ran sweatshops?

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

jrodefeld posted:

Of course it had an effect! But the "law" is part of the State, which I am opposed to as a libertarian. But, according to libertarian property rights theory, people still have the right to exclude anyone they like from their private property. All the State laws that held up this segregation, Jim Crow laws, public school segregation and things of that nature should have been repealed and were repealed.

Segregation didn't end from popular opinion. It wasn't called the Crisis at Littlerock for nothing. These are the white supremacist roots we're talking about.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

First Bass posted:

pssssssshaahahahahaahahahaa

SA is an example of what a bunch of bored nerds with :10bux: and a credit card will talk about while lightly moderated. Anything else is grasping at straws.

"Now to revel in true culture," he said as he loaded the latest Friendship Is Magic on netflix.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Socrates16 posted:

It is literally impossible for you all to be that dense. SA was not an example of a society, but of what individuals within a society are capable of doing without force.

Your posts are an act of aggression on me

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Yes

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Socrates16 posted:

Would you all support government regulation of SA, then?

Yes

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
The Libertarian Thread is about "the libertarian".

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
That sounds like collectivism to me. Cease your acts of aggression or I'll have to respond with equal force

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
The Ebola would be a rational actor and would not violate its libertarian principles by trespassing on your property.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
I'm going to keep saying an-cap=libertarians if it annoys members of each ideology.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
If JR doesn't come back can I be the new JRod? I feel like I'm ready to move on to the big leagues

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Socrates16 posted:

Without our god, who could possibly stop it? You!? No way!

This, but unironically

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Socrates16 posted:

You're right. That's why we're all dead.

If warming, why cold? Checkmate libs

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
I'm just waiting for the right moment to unveil my flawless JRode posting I've been practicing.

Accept no impostors

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Rhjamiz posted:

I know it's not strictly food-borne, but Polio was eradicated in the US thanks to the State, right? Or does it not count if they haven't eradicated all diseases ever?

The state caused polio :tinfoil:

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
tbp is saying some confusing stuff. "The government failed to properly regulate and enforce the private sector, therefore we should reject the government." Correct me if I read you wrong, tbp, but I feel like the better answer would be to strengthen regulatory bodies and make efforts to detach politics from wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

tbp posted:

Yes I agree

Then I'm confused as to where "reject the government" fits in here. It might be a problem in wording, but I feel like rejecting the government and strengthening regulations are incompatible ideas.

• Locked thread