Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Angry_Ed posted:

Don't forget Five Stings and Five HHHs :v:

Can't wait for the most loaded roster in 2k history featuring classic characters like HHH '97, HHH'98, HHH' 00, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Tri, HHH '02, The Game, HHH '10, and the Skull King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

So this game is 2 months away from release and they still haven't shown anything besides a few menus and character renders.

There's no way this game is actually good is there?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I cannot wait to get 2k22 and have it be exactly as broken and unplayable as 2k20 except they bolted a half-assed GM Mode on top of it that isn't fun to play because the game'll somehow have a thinner roster to play with than the original games that had it did

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

shiksa posted:

every couple months a little pixelated nick khan shows up with a "budget cuts" minigame where you have to fit in your favorite WWE SuperStars in a grid inventory space with any remaining blocks Future Endeavored

Every time you book a card in GM Mode a little Vince McMahon sprite slides in from off screen, deletes it, and runs a randomly generated one instead

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I can only hope that's the last tweet on that account in 2 months when the game comes out and is somehow worse than 2k20

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Virtual Basement kinda has the energy of the 10 million Star Wars Total Conversion mods that would be announced for like every single FPS game in the 2000's/2010's and the only thing you'd ever see from them is a few models or unfinished animations

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

So they put out two trailers and pretty much as I expected it's nothing but clips from entrances and Undertaker chokeslamming people over and over again.

They are TERRIFIED of showing normal gameplay

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

The one silver lining of the new information is the hint that custom content is cross-platform, which is great, but I'm totally expecting a bunch of absolute bullshit included. Like them keeping the 1000 image limit so you can never have as much stuff as you want, or the "you can only download 20 things per 24 hour period" limit.

Also what do you think the odds are that despite the "revamped engine" and running on PS5/Xbox SEX the game'll still be incapable of having 10 people in the ring? At this rate we're not gonna be able to run a full survivor series match until the 2030's

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Tato posted:

Watched a NL video where they were playing TNA Impact (2008) and it still looks better than the modern WWE games

Just what everyone wanted

Fun Fact the Impact game was made by a lot of the same people who made WWE All-Stars, and runs on the same engine.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

NameHurtBrain posted:

For as poo poo as Thunder is, there was actually a bit of drama at the end of the match too. Royal Rumble's snag I guess was that early AI really doesn't know how to react to one another. Because who would ever watch a video game?

And do any other wrestling game's OTTR battle royales let you leave the ring without being eliminated? Typically it's because it'd be very cheesable in gameplay, but I'm surprised the 2K games don't even have it as an option given how many shenanigans the WWE pulls with it.

I'm not sure why the 2k games don't do this but I can only assume the engine is literally incapable of processing having characters leave the ring but not be eliminated

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

https://twitter.com/malcolmvelli/status/1485299278297903104?s=21

Who knew Malcolm is funny? Probably not people watch the product

This reminds me of the early Smackdown games where you'd have to like, wander around backstage and talk to people and sometimes you'd get a sidequest where you have to fight the Undertaker or D-Von Dudley would scam you into giving him money to rebuild a church or whatever.

All of which was 10 times better than the story modes in the 2K Games. Or even most of the Smackdown vs RAW games honestly.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

This all has me thinking about the kind of story modes wrestling games usually have...

You got the classic Season mode where you pick a character and it basically sims cards week to week with some storylines thrown in that you may or may not get to be in. it's often really fun just to see what wild poo poo the game throws at you as it tries to generate some semblance of a story, but the downside is sometimes the RNG screws you over. I once had a Smackdown 2 save where I was the no 1 contender for the world title for like 3 straight years and never got a single title match.

You got the No Mercy style where every title/division has a big branch choose-your-own-adventure style story which was also pretty cool as it actually encouraged you to not just win every match to see what might happen. Cool stuff, but some of the stories were pretty weird/badly translated and there's not much room for wild random stuff to happen cause all the stories are pre-written.

Then we have the Smackdown vs Raw era where most of the stories were your character goes through some of the worst early 2000's hokey storylines possible and then suddenly you're a main eventer. I swear one of them you spent the first like 4 hours of the story mode fighting dudes over who owns every single woman in the company one by one. Or the one where the story mode is basically an extended Who Murdered Teddy Long mystery.

Then we get to the 2K games where they tried to emulate the week-by-week career simulation thing that you'd see in other sports games and the end result was you have to wrestle the same randomly generated CAWs 150 times in a row before you get a cutscene.

THEN we have the 2k19/2k20 style career mode which felt more like a parody of a wrestling game than an actual career. They try SO HARD to be zany and funny and fail miserably, which to be fair is at least accurate to the real WWE product.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Kennel posted:

Leaked(?) trailer

e. now official:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nOzp1S8Dz8

Pretty unimpressive.

It's all just single move animations.

They are so hesitant to show the actual game being played. The weird thing is some wrestling game youtubers have played it and said the gameplay is good, but there's no visual evidence of this whatsoever.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IGgy IGsen posted:

Fire pro is great. My favorite part is building characters and their AI and watch them interact with the rest of my roster.

Being able to have someone like, say, Bret Hart target the leg in the first two acts of the match before busting out the sharpshooter just makes the matxhes so much more interesting, especially when the AI goes a little off script.

Compare that to 2k where there's no rhyme or reason to what moves are used and when.

The 2K games AI is really poo poo when you think about it. Beyond the fact that a lot of times it juts looks the AI is picking moves at random, a lot of the wrestlers movesets don't fit together? Like you'll have a guy whose finishers all target the Head, but none of his regular moves do.

Remember that AJ Styles Wrestlemania Challenge Mode thing they did a few years back where you had to do a whole gauntlet of matches and the winner got a prize? One of the hardest matches in that mode was a submission match, and it was only hard because Styles only has one submission move in that game, which targets the Legs, and literally none of his other moves do Leg Damage. There's just no thought whatsoever put into the whole limb targeting/damage system.

Not to mention that Injury System in Universe Mode which requires you to do like 10 billion damage to one of a guy's limbs every single week over and over and over again to have a CHANCE that he MIGHT get an injury and go away for a month or whatever.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

A combo system makes a lot of sense and it's kind of weird how little past games have thought about this sort of thing.

Also having dodges/blocks/combo breakers is a really nice addition because by the time you got to 2k19/2k20 it felt like the entire gameplay boiled down to "Who runs out of Reversals first" cause if you didn't have Reversals there was basically nothing you could do to defend yourself unless the other player hosed a move up or it glitched out or something.

I wish they'd change up the referee's AI/animations cause it always annoyed me how often the referee would just wander into you or in between you/your opponent and that doesn't seem to be any different here.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Davros1 posted:

"Pick up and play" like hell. Listening to them describe all the various buttons you have to push to avoid simple attacks. This is the exact opposite of pick up and play.

I mean it really boils down to "if you hit the same button your opponent did you might be able to stop their combo"

I'd take it over "Oh you're out of Reversals? Guess you lose the match lol"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Also love them talking about dropping the limits on reversals like they weren't the asses who implemented them in the first place.

Technically that was Yukes that did that

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm guessing they didn't want that since there has been an option to disable it for years.

I mean going from their own statements it sounds like Yukes hadn't been very happy with how the games were going for years but the problem any studio's gonna run into with that annual schedule is there's only so much you can do with that little time.

Literally the only reason 2k22 has any chance of being good is the fact they've had an extra 2 years to work on it, and even then we still aren't sure it's gonna be that much better...

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

As consumers we get sick of companies' poo poo when they put out poor product while pretending that everything is fine, but they typically do that for a reason; when Dominos runs TV ads saying "yes our pizza was poo poo, but we're doing our best to improve it, please give us a chance", or Yuke's publicly states that they're working on an non-commissioned project with the stated purpose of making something better than what they are being ostensibly paid to make, that's the end product of apocalyptic business-side poo poo that the consumer doesn't see, it's not the beginning.

Blaming everything on Yukes is a bit unfair when you remember it's WWE they're working for, where they were given a hard 1 year deadline to make each game (which given things like marketing and physical media production means they probably had like 9 months at best to actually make the game), the fact that at any moment WWE might fire half their roster and force them to rewrite the whole game, and reportedly WWE would slash their budget every single year no matter how good or bad the games were and at some point it literally doesn't matter how good or bad your studio is, there's just no way to make a good game at a certain point.

Frankly even if 2k22 comes out and is good or at least decent? Probably the same thing'll happen cause they'll get thrown right back on the yearly grind after that and they'll just slowly get worse and worse again until that deal falls apart too.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

So 2k22 will still be limited to 100 CAW slots, and no word on if alternate attires take up these slots. If the game is functional I’d consider getting it (and converting it into an AEW game) but this is another red flag.

It might be fine IF they took out the arbitrary limit on custom images, which meant it was basically impossible to even reach 100 CAWs because each CAW could have several custom images on them for things like shirt/trunk logos, face photos, etc

I remember a day where I was trying to download the whole AEW roster and I literally had to go into every CAW and remove the least noticeable custom images from them to make room, because for some reason CAW creators do weird poo poo like having a scan of each of a dudes nipples as separate images taking up two whole custom image slots. It's loving maddening.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

2k22 GM Mode you if you try to book anyone to win two weeks in a row a pixelated Vince slides onto screen and yells at you

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I think one of the biggest issues with the 2K games, and the THQ games before that, is that they're so hyperfocused on creating a super realistic simulation of something that's choreographed to begin with. So you're trying to faithfully recreate something that isn't even real. It's like if Activision made a Call of Duty game but instead of playing a soldier in WW2 you're playing an actor portraying a soldier in a movie about WW2 but the gameplay still treats it like you're doing the real thing.

What made games like All-Stars fun is that they weren't trying to simulate the thing that wrestling is pretending to be, it was what wrestling looked like to your dumb childhood brain and turns out that's actually really fun to play.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

The older games had more of an issue that the roster was so abysmally thin at the time they were making those games that you basically had to just book John Cena vs Randy Orton every single week

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

So apparently GM Mode doesn't have online play unless you use a workaround like Steam Remote Play or whatever the Playstation equivalent is called, and for the Xbox there's just none period. Amazing.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

bartok posted:

Wonder how 2K would gently caress up Story Creator if they ever brought it back.

Probably the same way they hosed it up in the original games: making all the stories locked until you randomly encountered them and completed them in Universe Mode for no good reason.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Dacap posted:

Has there been anything showing the CAW system yet? That’s my favourite part of wrestling games and I’ve been wanting a new game to play around in.

The only bits we've seen are probably from the career/story mode which for some reason is always completely different to how the regular CAW screen looks which is annoying as hell

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I'm still pissed about the 100 CAW limit frankly. At the very least having a ton of released talent still in the games will make easier to make an AEW universe I guess.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Majinfoose posted:

New Legacy is gonna be streaming it tonight. What's the over/under on game crashes?

It's next week but I'm gonna guess it's less buggy than 2k20 but still as buggy as any other 2k game

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPm8BgjOHKA

Full video of the character creation options. It looks like they just copied everything over from 2k20 and the menu is exactly the same as always, god this loving sucks.

They've literally been using the same crowd signs since the PS2 games

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

Short of 2K going out of business and WWE having to find a new company to make their games, what could they possibly do to really improve these games at this point?

There were rumors a few weeks ago that the relationship with WWE and 2K is already falling apart so if 2k22 doesn't completely turn things around they may just dump 2K completely like they did Yukes

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw3Y-V-PQxo

...annnd the move selection is exactly the same as before.

This game's gonna loving suck.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

Genuinely astonished at how bad some of those animations look. A bunch of them feel like the sell is slightly out of sync with the move, "Devlin Side 1" looks like they forgot to finish the animation on the guy performing the move, the sell job on "Forearm Smash 4" I legitimately thought was a glitch, and then you have the fun ones like "Single Leg Boston Crab 4" that appear to have no attributes and do no damage!

I mentioned it a while back but one of the dumbest things about the move system in the WWE games is that they every move damages a specific body part, but sometimes it doesn't quite make sense why. Like you can have two powerbombs and one of them targets the head and one targets the back but the actual animation is virtually identical. On top of that, the character's movesets are always a complete mish-mash of moves targeting random limbs so there's no like, cohesive strategy to their moveset. You'd think it'd be logical that if your guy's finisher targets the Head they'd have a bunch of moves that do Head damage but nah!

The animations themselves are just a weird hodge-podge of moves cobbled together over years and years. Like yeah, some of the moves are gonna look like poo poo cause they've been using the same motion capture data for them for over a decade at this point, and some are hosed up cause they can't account for different body sizes, some are hosed up cause they just didn't bother getting motion capture of a woman doing the move and just awkwardly slapped the data from a male performer doing it, etc etc.

The thing this series needs more than anything else is to just start over from scratch. Throw out EVERYTHING. The yearly release schedule was already killing this franchise and it's looking more and more like even an extra 2/2.5 years isn't enough.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

The fact that the creation stuff is basically a direct copy and paste from 2k20 but with somehow less options than before probably says everything you need to know about how this game is gonna turn out

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Are Royal Rumble matches stilled locked to one arena for no discernable reason?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

X JAKK posted:

I see tag matches still always end in count out, they still pathetically bounce off when you try to toss them in if you are anywhere off center, and it looks like the AI just gave up and wandered off after that, losing even with the extremely drawn out last count.
FOR FUCKS SAKE

IT HITS DIFFERENT

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

So what, the last 20 odd years of Yukes pumping out WWE garbage means they're going to make their AEW game better?

Lol.

Yukes was put in a situation where they had less than a year to make a new game every single year, something that killed a ton of other franchises that had a LOT more money and resources behind them than WWE would ever give them. Couple that with the fact that every new set of consoles makes developing a game of this scope that much more expensive and time-consuming to develop, AND reportedly WWE would cut their budget every time put them in a situation where they were expected to do more and more with less and less resources and at some point it just became completely untenable. Not even the best dev team in the world could make good games forever with that kind of management.

The only real options there for for WWE games at this point are basically:

A) What the Assassin's Creed games did, where you give up on annual releases and make one game every 3-4 years and fill the gap with more substantial DLC in between

B) What the Call of Duty games did, where you hire 3 or 4 studios who alternate between making games so you still have a game every year but each studio gets 3-4 years to work on their game

Both of those options would require a huge investment from WWE and given how little money they're willing to spend on actual wrestlers on their wrestling show it's very unlikely they'll have any interest in actually doing this. What'll probably happen is they're just gonna continue this cycle of hiring a studio, burning them the gently caress out with the same grueling schedule and ever-shrinking budget and then dumping them and moving on to a new one every few years and much like the actual WWE product it'll just continue to come out and make money despite being complete dogshit.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

shiksa posted:

its not like every wwe game yukes made was a mess, some of the yukes games were the best. but yeah wwe keeps squeezing blood out of a stone yknow. like cmon here comes the pain rules lets not act like it doesnt

i just hope aew doesn't try and copy the yearly model for their games. put something out that will be the game for like, idk 3 years at least and release dlc for roster updates, just please god dont copy the rest of the sports game models out there

It certainly seems like AEW's going that route with their game. They could have easily rushed their game out and had no competition the year that 2k21 didn't happen, but they chose not to rush the game.

That said I do think the AEW Game is gonna be facing an uphill battle because the expectations for it are gonna be astronomically high after so many years of poo poo WWE games, and there's probably gonna be a lot of people who poo poo on it for not coming out and having every single feature ever from the WWE games.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wait, I was under the impression that with a license like this WWE merely *gets* money (and creative approval) and the publisher is the one that pays it.

This was coming from one of the directors of the older games, and to be honest I don't know exactly how the money flows in this sort of situation so it's possible it was entirely 2K's decision to cut the budgets but at the very least WWE as the licensor would still be pressuring them to rush the games out and make them as profitable as possible.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

So they looked at a joke move that was added in 2k20's intentionally campy wasteland DLC referencing Fist of the North Star....and then just kept it in the next game completely devoid of any context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

It's interesting to see guys like Jake Roberts still on the roster. Does he still have a Legends contract even though he's been with AEW since like the beginning?

I think the way legends contracts work is they're guaranteed X number of video game appearances, so probably yeah