Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

These games are pure WWE ideology

-Babyfaces are impossible geeks
-250 different characters that use maybe 5000 different moves to have the same exact matches
-Booking simulator called "WWE Universe" that makes you fight the same dude eight times in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

loving what. Why. Why any of that. L2/R2 as a reversal system was fine and has been fine for 20+ years why the gently caress :tizzy:

There is no way anybody asked for that specific change.

Any real change to the AI or the flow of matches would have probably been very hard. Changing the button mapping is very easy!

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oW9_sYsJEk

Just like how the actual WWE's best creative talent goes to making goofy jobber segments where a skinny guy from Topeka gets beat up by an Author of Pain, the masks look good in this game

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

The female character is a bigger geek than anyone who actually exists, and the male character is a bigger geek than the female character.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So does WWE2029 have any fictional talent or is your CAW somehow the only fresh face in a decade?

The girl who gave you a swirlie or whatever is in the 2029 WWE, her name is Brooklyn Von Braun

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I love that even though the roster is built from decades of historic WWE talent the story mode sends you into a future that doesn't matter instead of letting you be a part of all the cool stuff you remember

They could have fuckin went for it with the future stuff, 60 year old Triple H returning as a full-time in-ring competitor for some reason, unstoppable megastar champion Humberto Carrillo. But i'm sure they didn't

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

It’s almost heartening to see everyone in the game be totally screwed up, even the people WWE normally want to look good

Fairly sure that about five people look good and one of them is Keith Lee

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/LoanSbaraglione/status/1185620393152962561

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://deadlockpw.com/audio/deadlock-podcast-wwe-2k20-vegas-trip-wrestling-video-games-njpw-of-america-announcement/

Podcast with Marcus Stephenson, who used to work on these games, and a couple of the youtube guys. Good stuff starts about 2/3 in

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I was gonna say, you know, this game is definitely bad bad, but it's less funny bad than I expected. Then the rolling started.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Pulse on YouTube is in his fourth (?) hour of trying to beat this absolutely awful triple threat showcase match and developing rare gamer diseases

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Playstation store lets you get a refund on this thing if you bought it digitally. I say "you" because there's no way I spent $95.95 on it.

It's their "one-time exemption," or something like that, not specific to this game. I only know about it because I know a lot about refund policies, and not because I spent nearly One Hundred Dollars on the deluxe edition of WWE 2K20, and was saved by a corporation

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Aaaaaah! My legs! If only I had 48 leg durability...

Someone fuckin loved playing FFX

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://old.reddit.com/r/WWEGames/comments/dmla55/2k_originals_character_leak/

Some loving top tier username ideas here

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

2k19 caw mode is generally very good and you can steal other people's face morphing/attires too. The wrestling is, uh, well it's familiar if you played one of these five years ago

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

GM Mode would have been just as low effort and vanilla as Universe if they put it in. There might be studios that are able to do justice to 200 different playable characters, make them feel fun and unique, ten different game modes, make them full and fleshed out, but it's not Yukes and it's definitely not these guys. Especially when the whole thing is just built on top of a PS2 game.

I'm sure that in some of these yearly releases they've said, well gently caress man, we can't do anything more with this engine. When the AI isn't in a singles match (or maybe something like multi-man elimination) it's, like, clueless. The guys at the top probably want us to build something like FUT with the online but we can't, because the attributes don't really matter and any tiny amount of lag makes the R2 Button Pressing simulator cosmically miserable. We can't fix the gameplay in any meaningful sense. Add another 20 guys from NXT, another 10 "legends" and a "showcase mode," whatever that is. And for the gameplay, throw another "system" on top - OMG moments, rest holds, Right Buttock Durability attribute, whatever. So you've bloated the game and you need to make sure most of that extra stuff is in there next year too.

I wish they could have made Universe not suck. And I'd totally love anything with the AI that didn't make it feel like fighting the same guy 100 times. Even just like 5-10 different basic "types" where one flies across the ring and does spots, one uses strikes more often, one works a limb and uses the rest holds or whatever else they put in there to slow matches down. Either that was never a priority or it was impossible. But even though it's so easy to daydream "what if these games, But Good," I still like singles matches with the AI in 2K19, at least with reversal limits off and some slider wrangling like the other guy said. I bitched about their kludgy "systems" before but I actually do like the payback system, whenever they added that. And obviously the create modes are great. So you have 10-20% of a decent game, don't even think about the rest of it.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 18, 2019

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

The seated crouching inverse nollie move categories are probably the best example of how, mostly in good faith and just wanting to make the game a little better every year (within their limitations, the yearly schedule crunch etc), they've created a horrible cludge monster. But yeah, you don't actually have to touch a lot of it. Just use someone in the game who's sorta similar as a base for the stuff you don't want to bother with.

edit: also there are 35 different taunt categories lmao why

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 29, 2019

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

There’s literally someone in this very thread who buys every new wwe game even if it’s total poo poo and that’s a much wider spread sentiment among other wwe weirdos who refuse to admit anything is bad about their favorite company in general so there will still be people preordering whatever botched abortion 2k21 turns out

2k20 aside because lmao, I think there is space for simple games that don't try to do too much. I don't hate the conservative licensey games as much as I used to, just as a thing. Of course the WWE devs try to make these look so much more complicated than they actually are, when all you have to do is press R2 at the right time.

Like I never expected this to happen to me, I'm only 28, but I can't get into that many modern story-based games because I feel like I'd rather read a book, and I can't get into that many online multiplayer based games because I feel like I have to get good.

late edit:

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 5, 2019

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Tre is a Christ figure

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheShiningDown/status/1212216796700430336

Y2K20

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

If I don't really care about anything but making CAWs and simming matches, is there any particular best WWE game on PC to get? I know the CAW was supposed to have been garbage in WWE 2015, but for my purposes is there any particular best option from WWE 2016-2019?

2k19 because the image upload servers are still up but that might only be for a couple months? Once you get used to making caws with images/face textures it's hard to go back to the default stuff.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

hosed up JRPG that's 75% cutscenes and is about the Nightmare Collective

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

OFFICER LIGER posted:

The creative vision for dlc this year honestly has been a homerun but the execution in the actual game portion of things is such an unmitigated disaster there is just no justifiable reason to jump from 19 to 20 which is a shame because it does feel like the direction has been more inspired than in past years

Love the youtube comments too about how they just need to add "Kushida" and "more legends." These loving games already have a 250 person roster that they probably spend most of their time year-to-year redoing the attires and reanimating the entrance cutscenes on. None of it makes the game more fun, there's nothing in the AI that makes one guy different from another besides moves and Left Leg Durability, and half of it looks like poo poo, it's just bloat.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 14, 2020

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Rapper Cena would have been fine, like whatever, that's the period of wrestling I have nostalgia for and I'm more people would use it than Tamina and Akira Tozawa. But the punchline here is they made this separate Cena character and they still gave him old man Cena face.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 15, 2020

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Yeah I'm pretty big into Football Manager, and I find that I'm much more interested in watching the game world move (big-picture player progression, global transfer market, AI clubs rising and falling) than I am in beating Bradford City 2-1. So playing WWE or even AEW in TEW means that I spend less time watching the game world move and more time booking run-ins. My only really comfy TEW game was as a low CVerse indy where I barely ever ran more than a show a month.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Universe is just bad lol (not sure it was ever good) but the gameplay is fun enough that I can have dumb multiman elimination matches in exhibition and have a good time. One thing I like that I definitely made fun of is the combos. And difficulty sliders for the pin/submission games were a no-brainer since they always feel unbalanced one way or another by the time you're used to the game.

One thing I liked to do in 2K19 was stalk the "recently uploaded" tab for CAWs, but here I guess since we're closer to release and more people are playing everything is dogshit. CC downloads is also the one section in the whole game with bad load times (on PS4).

edit: Just remembered how much I liked this podcast from the Deadlock guys about 2K20 before they got big

Fat Lowtax posted:

https://deadlockpw.com/audio/deadlock-podcast-wwe-2k20-vegas-trip-wrestling-video-games-njpw-of-america-announcement/

Podcast with Marcus Stephenson, who used to work on these games, and a couple of the youtube guys. Good stuff starts about 2/3 in

Have they done anything similar about 2K23? Don't really want to trawl the content mines or watch them play the game for five hours

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 12, 2023

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Have any of the PC guys modded a female CAW's height to below 5'4? Because yeah, there's gotta be some funny 2K stuff going on if that's the minimum in-game, probably with the animations

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Where's Luther

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4eXfDPMvoQ

I'm gonna preorder it. Or maybe I won't, brother