Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Punchsport games exist. This is the thread for them.

WWE Games
------------

First, the greatest game of all time:

WWE Supercard was developed by 2K and it is great. Really great. Insanely addicting. 5/5. Not joking.

~~~

In about two and a half months from the time of this posting, 2k Sports will be publishing their second WWE video game, WWE 2k15, though it's the first that could really be referred to as theirs.

WWE 2k15 has been developed by Yuke's alongside 2k's celebrated sports sim studio (and VFX powerhouse) Visual Concepts. Details about the game are just starting to trickle in at this point, and while it's not at all clear what the division of labor was, the influence of VC in the game's development is already apparent:

These images appear in sharp contrast to the level of visual quality that we'd come to expect from WWE games under their old publisher THQ.

The game modes and features are being rolled out all month on IGN and the official roster reveal panel will happen at Summerslam. Maybe they can hire JR to host it so he can get fired again. Anyway, there's little we know for sure about the game at this point, but here's the gist:

- There will be a "MyCareer" mode ala NBA2k14's, wherein you can create a wrestler and run them through a story mode that will see them go from blue chip prospect to (presumably) some sort of triumph at Wrestlemania. In a move that's upset a bunch of people, this mode will only be available on next-gen systems (ie the XB One and PS4).
- Universe Mode is still there.
- New animation and VA recordings are substantial, x5 and x4 the total amounts offered by WWE 2k14, respectively.
- There's been talk of changes to the way match lengths are handled and a greater differentiation in wrestling style. The core gameplay has been "extensively modified", but nothing has been shown yet.
- Sting is this year's preorder bonus guy. There's a special edition that's all Hogan bullshit.

Other WWE Games

There have been all-time classic WWE games and abysmal ones, and unfortunately we haven't had a game truly memorable in its core experience since Here Comes the Pain in 2003. They all followed in design from the old beloved Smackdown! games of the Playstation 1 era, but a lot of things (the models and pacing of matches, mainly) didn't age well. The lineage was so blatant that old code and some animations have survived through the series until this point. WWE 2k14 was the latest (and possibly last) in the line, and it saw a not-inconsiderable but not amazing uptick in quality from previous years - AIs provided more challenge and the endless chain reversals were replaced with more flow-preserving moves. It's plagued by some maddening technical issues (random lockups in certain menus, the inability to book 6-man bouts or set up a title match with more than 2 wrestlers), but when you're actually in the ring? It's a decent game.

Non-WWE wrestling games
------------

A lot of people talk up Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, a Japanese-made wrestling game for the PS2, and it must be good, because people are still going on about it and even now there are goons organizing AI vs. AI tournament series for viewing on PSP streaming sites. There are a lot of FPW games and the most recent is a 360 downloadable game that uses your Miiavatar. It's not any good from what I hear. Suda51, the game designer who made No More Heroes and several other bizarre and not-actually-very-good games, was behind a FPW game at some point, and I believe the game ended with a suicide. So you can't say they're resting on their laurels when it comes to new experiences in wrestling gaming.

A lot of people around here also play Total Extreme Wrestling 2013, a hardcore simulation game for the PC that allows you to act as the owner and / or booker of wrestling feds large and small. It's a very complex game (100% text and spreadsheet-based) that requires some commitment to learn, but once you get the hang of it, it gives you the opportunity to act the GM like few if any games can, playing out your crazy / stupid / smarky booking fantasies. How well you do will depend on how closely your booking matches the product definitions you set for yourself (for example, setting "hardcore product" to very low and booking a deathmatch main event won't go over well) and the chemistry (often randomly determined) that your wrestlers have with each other. You can use the (very deep and considered, with lots of continuity) "Cornellverse" fictional world database or download obsessively populated real-world rosters from different points in actual wrestling history. Do yourself a favor and resist the temptation to start booking a nationally-ranked company from the jump. Start small and learn the ropes.

Want to establish a successful puro fed stateside? You can try, but good luck. Want to take ECW and demolish WWE / WCW before Paul inevitably bleeds you dry? It's doable. Push 3MB, bury Cena (probably shouldn't, but), create an unstoppable stable of former indie darlings with wacky gimmicks like "demon hunter", "ninja" and "bad wrestler". There have been a number of good-to-amazing TEW Let's Play threads in PSP - the one going right now has goon booking teams directing and writing WWF and WCW shows during the Monday Night Wars. Ultimate Warrior seems to be pulling off his new Ultimate Lawyer gimmick and it wasn't long ago that Big Show got over quite well as a timeline-hopping version of his future self.

For the cheap among you, TEW's 2005 ancestor Extreme Warfare Revenge has some but not all of TEW's booking and convenience features and is available as freeware. People have run games off of it here as well. Rarity ran a modern-day WWE LP (archive access req'd) through EWR and it was utterly spectacular, probably the best resource on hand for demonstrating what can happen in a game like this (and when you've got goons running a game by committee).

MMA Games
------------
I've never played any of the UFC games but I'm told the most recent one is bad. That's about all I can say, sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oh btw if anyone can help me with this (from last thread)

quote:

Alright, so in TEW I've got a product that's key on traditionalism, heavy on mainstream and medium on realism (with a smattering of very lows in things like hardcore and and cult). I'm somewhat perplexed regarding how to get my guys gaining momentum. Essentially what I've done is classic TV wrestling stuff - I've taken face / heel pairings of my "native" talents in the main event and upper midcard to be booked as never-losers, slotted into feuds with one another, and kept the remainder of my talent as dudes who trade wins with one another and job to the high card. The thing is that no matter what I do, show to show their momentum rarely rises above E+. My fed is currently in E- popularity / prestige and D+ momentum in my home region (it's pretty young). Is worker momentum shackled to fed momentum the way show grades are shackled by popularity?

I've also got two expensive guys who are pretty well-known and good workers (Drew Mac and Homicide) in a feud also on the never-lose list, and I've been getting solid D+ shows (good enough for awesome post-show reviews) by booking one in the main event and one in the semi-main every show. I could spend a lot more money to goose the ratings with a more over undercard but I'd rather do this on the cheap.

My product rates dudes evenly on performance and popularity, and I don't know if this is screwing me and keeping my dudes who aren't popular perpetually unpopular. I am managing to slowly build up momentum on my storylines and kinda-sorta cheating with angles to make sure everyone looks good (basically going heavy on classic promos where dudes putting both themselves and their rivals over), but I haven't had any blowoffs yet so I don't know if that will help.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The music thing was something that caught Sony by surprise and they've been assuring us it will patch in since launch

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They haven't said whether universe or rivalry modes are exclusive. I'd imagine they aren't if it hasn't already been brought up. They were quick to point out that the mycareer mode was.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

In my TEW game, Chikara hired Vince Russo as their head booker. The shows seem to be doing okay for their size? C- average. He's booking himself in angles with Scott Hall. Anyway, for this crime against wrestling, Quackenbush must pay. As soon as I gain size enough to do so, I'm going to war, and Chikara shall be naught but cartoon ashes smoldering on the ground.

In my other game they actually declared war on CZW and I'm unsure who I would like to see win.

Meanwhile the empty ~American Puro~ promotion that I added for another game was bought up by Bret Hart and he's building a pretty good roster.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Davros1 posted:

They kind of look like cardboard cut outs.
I wouldn't be surprised if some level of anti-aliasing hadn't been implemented in whatever demo build they used

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Wait did people here really think the tutorial popups were part of the standard UI

The real problem with the animation is that you've got a pretty wide range of motion that's still beholden to collision detection. That's something you can hide reasonably well in, say, a boxing game, where range of movement is exceedingly tight. But to have guys running around the ring and flying into each other necessarily requires transitions that can't really be all that smooth. There does appear to be new animation in movement - Cesaro coming off the turnbuckle, for example, or the removal of the "dude jerks prone as he's kicked while getting up" issue that's been there since the first Smackdown.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Following from God of Paradise' post I restarted my TEW game such that my fed had better momentum (B-, up from E) and it's definitely a lot more straightforward, my guys aren't stalling and my main events are getting over into the B range, which is good. Main attraction is Drew Mac vs. "The Nature Boy" Adam Pierce, but Pierce is getting run ragged so I'm adding Mason Ryan in as a minor player in their feud so it can be maintained. My momentum is slowly bleeding month-to-month, however, even as my shows are doing good ratings, since I'm coming out in the middle of the pack in regional battles.

I decided to approximate TNA's current situation by using the in-game editor to cut their current funds by 75%, so they cut a bunch of their roster and I picked up a few Von Erichs, who I'm grooming to feud with a few young and previously unemployed Harts. At least in the July 2014 real world mod I'm using, Brent Albrecht is a really good main eventer for small companies - he's reasonably skilled, comes cheaply at about $550 per appearance (with neutral negotiating skill) and still seems to be on the upswing at 35 - he's improving in every match he has against skilled opponents. He'll be a good main event heel in the mid-future.

Meanwhile, CHIKARA is goosing ratings by consistently running backstage angles featuring Scott Hall and Vince Russo :bahgawd: that is ultimately the fun of simulation games like this - it's sort of like dwarf fortress, you run it and just see what the game engine decides to put together and sometimes the results are dumbfounding.

Anyway, I'm in the minority on this but reading the IGN article on the WWE2k15 gameplay has me kind of optimistic, in that what annoys me most about WWE14 and games prior is the pacing of it. I do really enjoy the WWE PPV main event match psychology, when really done right, and past games (save No Mercy and its ilk) couldn't really capture that. The stamina system described gives me hope in that regard.

Like I keep thinking back on EA's Fight Night games on the 360, and how the most fun (and frustrating, but in a good way) parts of that game were the long wars of attrition you'd get into in later rounds, when both fighters are thoroughly gassed and your hooks just lightly *tap* against your opponent's face, until an opening appears for one semi-solid punch to send your opponent crashing. You don't really get that sense of strenuous battle in WWE games. Even Fire Pro, a game more fast-paced than any modern WWE game, typically features mutual collapse after big moves in the latter part of a match, and that makes a difference even when lulls in the action last a second or two. It sounds like that's what the stamina system is trying to introduce, and if they succeed then this is a game I'll probably love.

As for the rock-paper-scissors system, it could end up playing badly, but at this point 2k14's reversal system feels just as sour as the endless chain reversals of games prior - you don't get those endless stretches of no moves pulled, but at the same time it was hard to set a reversal frequency that was challenging but not prohibitive. When you grappled, you pressed a button and the dice determined whether or not you'd hit the move, and after awhile, as reversal odds crept up to keep the game competitive, it got frustrating to succeed at the whims of the die as move after move got reversed. A more involved grappling system could alleviate that.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 14, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

you're all talking gibberish, please let us return to discussing the subtle manipulation of TEW momentum grades

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

interpunct posted:

I took the time to max out and combine two rare Eva Marie cards
Somebody tell me how to change thread titles please

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

no way

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If 2K wants to go in a simulation it's direction then you'll probably just have to make CAWs

Roman Reigns posted:

Welllll previous articles about the game said they'll keep the roster updated with whatever attires/gimmick/hairstyle a wrestler currently has. Don't know if they're still holding to that.

Also CAWs.

EDIT: V Read somewhere that when a player starts career mode with their CAW, they'll start in NXT before moving on to the main roster. So its possible some NXT stars will be there
The former was a Reddit rumor, the latter is speculation, afaik

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

how DO you change the title of a thread you started? Is that an admin-only permission?

I need every avenue at my disposal to mock you people and myself

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

HulkaMatt posted:

OK I changed it!!!
Marvelous

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There's a whole goddamned tumblr of those pics

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So after much trial and error I've come to suspect that there's not a ton you can do to bump up momentum at the top of your TEW card, especially for a popularity-heavy product. You just have to remember that the real world rules don't apply - a high card wrestler will be actively hurt when squaring off against a lower card wrestler if their momentum doesn't match. Momentum matching seems to be key - there's few if any ways to maintain a guy with higher momentum against one with lower, which is to say that you're going to helping your lower card guys more than your higher card guys no matter the outcome of their match. Heat always travels downward, but the wider the gulf the more heat dissipates on transfer. Getting a guy with E momentum up the card will require having him beat E+ guys, then when he gets up to E+ you put him over D- guys, and so on, pushing him up the card accordingly. Putting an E+ dude over a B- main eventer will maybe push your dude into D territory while dropping the main eventer several grades. Simple, right?

Somehow this didn't make sense to me for awhile. So I messed up - my high card dudes were in B- territory and I kept putting them over guys in the C range, which had the effect of setting the upper limit of roster momentum around C+. Not ideal for title changes, etc. So I figure I'll hire some popular and skilled workers for limited dates, debut them in segments highlighting their strengths in order to goose their momentum, and then have them wrestle my main event guys, dispensing bonuses to smooth over ruffled feathers when a job is needed. And then I just do the gradual "bubble under the tape" method of card progression for my young guns.

The thing is that momentum feels like a finite resource in this game, with only so much to go around among the entire roster. Were you to turn on repetition penalties (I've got them off cuz I just want to learn and have fun) I don't imagine how you'd be able to maintain top guy heat without a deep bench of well-over guys to keep it up. My understanding was that angles don't typically have a huge effect on momentum, but I could be wrong.

The way I understand it, momentum is basically a measure of the rate of overness accrual (ie regional popularity), so stagnant momentum at a high-ish grade is fine, because it just means the wrestler is becoming more popular at a certain rate. Does that cycle back around to affect momentum? Or does it just affect gates? I'm starting to better understand the mechanics of this game - even though I put on consistently fantastic shows (D+ or C- ratings for an E/E- fed) my gate numbers tend to fluctuate wildly. I thought it might have something to do with the days I've booked (no one wanting to hit up a 2 hour wrestling show on a Wednesday night, etc) but in retrospect it's probably because I've done such a poo poo job of preserving momentum. My guys' popularity (and their drawing power, by extension) isn't stable.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 21, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tato posted:

John Cena's neon shirts just make it doubly apparent that the crowd consists of three models repeated infinitely.
There's really no other way of doing it. It's been CGI standard since the 90's (I remember when it was a new innovation for artificially populating stadiums). Every sports game does it. It's just that most sports games have much less static cameras and don't get nearly as close to the crowd.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

My game's RNG has NJPW in a bit of a slump right now, it seems like their gates are fluctuating a bit and getting good-not-great show grades for a fed of their size.

They could turn it around tho

Meanwhile NXT is snapping up my top guys >:( just PPA at this point, but still.

Also the game is fantasy booking itself cuz Dolph Ziggler just went over Brock in the Summerslam main event. Maybe it's this RW mod?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

BlueArmyMan posted:

As someone whose last wrestling game was No Mercy, how hard is the change to Yukes controls?
Well just in general, the N64 had a really strange controller, so there's gonna be a learning curve in any case. Yukes games have always been clear descendants of the Smackdown games, so in general the pacing is much faster than No Mercy's more methodical bouts (though not quite as frenetic as the early games). Instead of the weak / strong grapple system you have four different standing grapple positions (differentiated by the right thumbstick), each with 5 possible grappling moves, 1 submission and 1 tie-up strike. When an opponent is picked up after suffering enough damage / kicked in the stomach after the torso's been worked / thrown hard against the turnbuckle, they become dazed and you have the option of 5 stronger grappling moves (powerbombs, piledrivers, etc). Depending on game settings and the charisma stat of the worker, you build up momentum Submissions work in a relatively straightforward way - different moves work different parts of the body and once it goes into the red, they're at the point where a sustained hold will make them tap.

2K14 is probably a good place to start if you wanted to get into the modern games. Not perfect, but it's good, especially at what the current price point probably is.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 26, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ah, well I think the four grapple positions were implemented after that, so I don't know.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They're not good

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

A Korean games ratings board had a 2K15 PC port listed for release at some point next year. Those types of leaks are pretty common.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They haven't announced anything about a PC port, to my knowledge. People simply assumed it would happen since 2K are typically diligent about their sports franchises getting PC versions. They usually announce PC versions alongside the console versions.

I agree that it's a very good thing if it does happen.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

How exactly does one book a tournament in TEW? Do you simply keep track on pen & paper or is there some mechanic involved?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I must have merged two different real-world mod versions at some point because there are two Curt Hawkinses and two Brodus Clays and I naturally snapped them up and formed the new tag teams of Dillon Collins / Dillon Rollins and Bush Reno / Clinton Vegas, respectively.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

simosimo posted:

Just a little driplet of 'info'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G0qvvmm98c

Low stamina RKO, Randy crawls over Cesaro? for the pin. Looks good!
Since the moment-to-moment gameplay seems fundamentally similar it seems like they're going for more little details. One of the leaked vids of a Cena / Cesaro match showed that there were ringside workers other than King & Cole who would scatter when wrestlers approached. Also, King & Cole got up and backed away when they were approached, not just when the table started getting set up.

I am really interested in seeing how this stamina system ends up working out, it would be really nice to have the epic match setting render something other than an all-out slugfest stretched out for half an hour.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They built the consoles along the all-in-one box philosophy and as such they probably envisioned streaming music from a hard drive as being more forward-thinking than ripping files directly. Lack of the feature was something that PS4 owners aired their grievances over pretty early and Sony was caught flat-footed. They promised to implement it at some point in the future, but that was over a year ago.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The more interesting abilities are in the Cesaro vid, they repeat themselves a lot (because they gotta milk what little they have for as many views as possible)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100ZaykmivM

tl;dw there are a few new "abilities" (ala springboard dive or resilience). "Ruthless Aggression" increases damage inflicted when brawling at ringside, "Technician" reduces stamina costs for reversals, "Teamwork" wincreases double team / tag finisher damage, and "Pin Combo" apparently makes previously rote pin combo moves dependent on the ability / makes them harder to kick out of. Also, all the old abilities have passive buffs added to them (ring escape decreases stamina costs across the board, etc.)

The interesting one shown is "Mouthpiece", that allows the player to directly enable his/her wrestler's manager to distract the ref (it also boosts the wrestler's stamina quite substantially). So we might be seeing more from managers in this game. At the very least, Heyman's done mocap.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 11, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also you can apparently do 2nd rope dives in 2k15? idk. Also Cesaro's Big Swing is an OMG thing now, as is his deadlift second rope suplex. Punk has an OMG suicide dive as well. Maybe Reigns' apron dropkick, who knows. Those dudes talk a whole lot

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If it's the poster I'm thinking of, it was a gimmick account that stayed in character in other threads. They just recently rereged, however

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

you should give TEW a shot, it's a whole other level of number crunching

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I might be wrong, but given that the vast majority of those stills were the hackjob images on 2k14 community DLC versions of the characters, that looks like a fake.

We definitely know that Paige, Neville and Zayn will be in the final game, but beyond that it's anyone's guess.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Typically with modding, where there's a will there's a way. Most games don't get total conversion-type mods, but a dedicated modder can pull off more than you'd expect. You'll get things the console people won't and in all likelihood, basic under-the-hood stat mechanics will probably be adjustable and you'll be able to do more with meshes and models than the game typically allows (see: Mass Effect 3's facegen system producing 100% rear end, vs. the custom modded facemeshes that look as good as facescan they made for the default Shepard)

But yeah, don't expect custom entrance movements or arena renders or anything crazy like that. What I really hope for is moddable scripting, so that opponent AI might be improved, and things like damage / stamina rates can be tweaked to provide more satisfying match flow.

I could watch Paul Heyman cut promos on youtube commenters all day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3odv9VcNK6E

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 23, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Phenix Rising posted:

How? I've downloaded CAWs before, though in WWE 13 and not any of the 2K games, and have never had one come with a render like that. Is there an extra step I need to do in addition to downloading the CAW, or are they included with the download somehow? I'm totally clueless on that stuff.
People have hacked the 2k14 filesystem and inserted their own renders (this is also how people have hacked normally weak custom finishers into game-breaking destroyers). Certain community creators will offer them, and they automatically come with the CAW (the render disappears if you change from their default ring gear settings, iirc). But it's not something the game allows natively.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

AFAIK the Korean ratings board has never been the subject of a hoax. The PC version is coming but it's probably a 2015 thing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm about as bullish on these games as anybody but really, if they fudge the match scoring system just a bit or the AI doesn't accommodate it, it will break the career mode severely.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Here's a Gamespot video of a bunch of interviews at the Performance Center, mainly just asking wrestlers about their takes on being in it before talking about career mode. There is a little spoiler about the MyCareer gameplay which hints at the kayfabe status of the narrative (The first match is interrupted by a flash-forward of you getting jumped backstage by your opponent and you get a contract as a result). P good critical take tho

There's also a clarification that your face / heel alignment seems to be affected by your in-ring actions in addition to the social media stuff. DQs and exposed turnbuckles seem pretty classic heel heat builders but I guess it's kind of hard to imagine building face heat beyond like... playing by the rules? Or getting your rear end kicked?

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 1, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I don't see what's to stop people from popping their rating by putting their opponent through an announcer's table every single match.

Though I guess that's probably why so many of the OMG moments (they really need another name for those) are things you have to buy now (?)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Snacksmaniac posted:

Game isn't even out yet and he did!

Here's a blast from the past question. I remember 2K13 getting special "Attitude Era" cutscenes for universe mode in a DLC. I don't think I've ever seen one. Has anyone? Did these things ever work?

They did, the catch was that you needed a brand that included ONLY attitude era characters. No current roster, no CAWS

Pretty sure it works because my main events were consistently Austin-McMahon related and Paul Wight kept running interference for the latter in various ways

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

John McClane posted:

I bought TEW 2013 tonight because my copy of Smash is locked in the bowels of a Gamestop for a few more hours. I know PSP has done a few LPs of it, are there any that are educational or am I better off just reading walls of text about how to set up a mod?
It's a very technical, methodical game. I'm too tired atm to provide a tutorial, but suffice to say that you should be starting with a small or regional fed.