Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

2k14 is alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah they get their own lil menu and everything

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

pressedbunny posted:

At this rate I wonder why they don't just let everybody have all this stuff from the get-go and simply raise the price of the game to begin with. I'd rather be ripped off up-front than loving about with this Season Pass bullshit which may as well be mandatory anyway.
People would rather pay $60 up front then $20 later than pay $70 up front. You know what they'd rather do even then? Pay $60 up front then pay $24 in six separate $4 payments. Consumers live on the margins

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Day-one DLC is something people (weakly) fought against and lost several years ago. It's also a good way of disincentivizing second-hand sale. You'll still be paying 2K pretty good money even if you wait for a retail price drop / Buy it used, provided you want everyone. DLC is welded to profiles, not discs

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 8, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

art imitates life

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Roman Reigns posted:

Aside from Khalifa and Flo Rida, I'm not sure how many of these can be considered mainstream popular tracks.
Not sure how to feel about John Cena being a Dizzee fan, but I guess he's a few years behind the curve anyway. Needs some TEMPZ

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The smarter thing to do would have been to to have two different season passes, covering the rivalries and the DLC errata. They have too much DLC to justify a $25 pass that covers everything. The point of a season pass is to give people a $5 discount on $30 worth of DLC rather than have them buy just one or two of the three. They could've made a season pass covering everything but it would cost just as much as a full game, which defeats the marginal-compulsion power of the DLC concept.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 15, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also if you'd be playing on new-gen I wouldn't expect this one to drop as precipitously in price as previous games have. The bad UFC game is going for $35 used on PS4 and it's been out for a little while now. It also benefits from being released during a time when the next-gen game market, while not as bad as it was last year, is still pretty desolate.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 15, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The OS might support custom soundtracks but it's extremely unlikely that 2k15 will have them integrated.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'll be doing the same, if anybody's willing to wait a bit for a last-gen version.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Daniel Bryan posted:

I think they're saving any big marketing pushes for the XB1/PS4 version since that's the one they put the focus on.
They might be if they're putting all their eggs in the MyCareer mode (and they might, because it IS a fun concept). Otherwise it would seem sort of self-defeating since they'd have a few weeks of word of mouth to work with / against

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Amazon updated my 360 pre-order to "estimated delivery December 5, 2014". Checked a few other places and it seems like a number have greyed out their 360 pre-order capabilities specifically. This game might do well?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Nice that Graves gets to be in a game when his career got cut short so early (not sarcastic). Can't imagine the royalties are gonna be that great, though. I wonder if you can set him as a manager... or whether you can make managers in general?

Either the body models are weird or there's some perspective error with the camera on that angle - you get the same effect on Graves' torso there that you got on the previously released Hulk Hogan pic (the one with the feather boas). The ribcages seem distended.

Anyway, nice detail on the turnbuckles, and Zayn's face seems on-point. All of them do.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Almost certain Meltzer reported it, said they still wanted to keep them around for backstage stuff, besides the fact that firing someone after career ending concussions would be a very bad PR move. I think it was around the time of the fan Axxess (or however they spell it) event.

There's probably some objective metric by which they decide who's had enough concussions and who's good to get back into the saddle. Wonder what they have him doing. If he kept up on his mic work there's no reason he couldn't be a Lefort-style manager

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If they don't have custom finishers nerfed to poo poo this time around then it might not be a big issue. People were happily playing with Big E CAWs with that Canadian something or other that's a sit-out shoulder gutbuster or whatever

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Can't do the shuffle, tho. The "grapple" is a guitar uppercut that looks kinda dumb. Best to running strike with it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They were pretty up-front about their reasons? There's stuff on the next-gen consoles that won't be on the last-gen versions coming out next week and they needed the extra time for polishing those sections of the game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Wonder who they got to record the NXT commentary. Probably Cole and King, but still

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Were I to venture a guess I'd say that the ads only pop up during replays, as they do irl. That's a feature of other games, as has been mentioned.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

they plugged the website in older games, why not?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

that's not much of a surprise, I'm honestly surprised they bothered at all and would bet it's purely current-gen next year
And provided there aren't any spectacular flameouts, next year's will be loaded with indie royalty, at least on the NXT side.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sounds about right for the last-gen stuff. Shame about the removal of create-a-whatever, I wonder if that's getting cut from next-gen too? And with the expanding featured content every year they just keep chipping away at generic CAW-tailored stuff like entrances and music.

Interesting about the Universe changes, they sound good from here. We'll see how they play in a few days, I suppose.

* - also looks like there's youtube footage of the last-gen stuff already. Looks just about the same as 2k14 but Reign's corner spear has a little more thump to it at least.

here's the roster, not counting the NXT guys (and maybe Rocky?). Two Del Rios, which is two more than we actually have.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 26, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Davros1 posted:

I am utterly baffled at the removal of Create a Finisher.
Once they introduced online multiplayer it was destined to be cut, honestly. For all the slack I tend to cut the devs they never really tried to get it down. At first your moves were as powerful as they were long, so you'd go online and get obliterated with a nutshot-nutshot-nutshot-nutshot-nutshot-superkick finisher. So then they completely nerfed them, not that it stopped Russian hackers from breaking the system again for online play. After that they were completely useless against the AI - you had a better chance of pinning a dude after hitting a standard signature than a custom finisher. They actually made your opponents kick out at 2 when virtually anything else would put them down. No matter how brutal it looked, it was the Angle Slam at its nadir of kayfabe power.

So yeah, it's no great loss. It'll suck to no longer have the ability to give your guys the Angel's Wings or a powerbomb facebuster or that weird Gory Bomb / Dominator hybrid or a chokebreaker or that hilarious chokeslam variant where you basically throw them into a backflip, but even when you could they were only good as transition moves. The Angel's Wings should not be a transition move.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 26, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

RacistGuidingLight posted:

they always do capoeira kicks or weaponized twisting backflips or looking behind themselves saucily.
Let's not bring John Morrison into this

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That's not clear yet but yeah, if the story mode was out I don't think the VGCW guy would be that impressed with it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It did feel like they had basically hit their ceiling with regard to last-gen content with 2k14, you already started to see various bits and pieces of legacy content disappear (the amount of stuff packed into 2k13 was kind of insane tbh). Even with a scaled-back version of the next gen engine facelift it was always going to be a zero-sum game with regard to what went in and what came out.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Given the amount of poo poo they have to cut to fit in all the newish stuff, did we really expect the enhancement talent to make it in? In terms of pushes the only person on the list who approaches midcard is Alicia Fox. She gets TV time!

Think of it this way - the five NXT guys took some seats

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's 2k14

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Graves vs Wyatt story mode match is terrible bullshit. Can't use finishers and have to make Wyatt tap, and the dude has tons of hit points, reverses often and doesn't STAY DOWN long enough to latch on a submission

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rules

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I ended up just aiming for the head since Wyatt seems weaker there and it's easier to hit Graves' standing submissions, most of which target the head. His move set is pretty well geared toward submissions, tbqh. Lots of variation.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The NXT story mode isn't in the next-gen versions

Anyway in the Rivalry showcase the big reveal of CM Punk post-Cena/Rey has his full entrance video and it kind of ruins whatever verisimilitude the scene might have had.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

cams posted:

You mean, like, when the music starts playing, his video starts playing immediately instead of waiting til he actually comes out?
The music starts and the titantron immediately starts playing the clips of Punk in the ring.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Dunno

There is actually a bit of commentary back-and-forth during the Punk-Del Rio Survivor Series match that's pretty funny

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rock seems to have gotten the Undertaker treatment this year, ie his model is the only well-animated one in cutscenes on the current gen

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I think there's somethink kinda fishy with the multitude of Universe mode cutscenes in 2k15. It's nice that they've made the wordless story progression less opaque (when you open up a branching story, the different possibilities are mapped out in the story list). Otoh the number was never going to as impressive as it seemed because you have different combinations - face vs face, heel vs heel, turns (maybe even double turns? Hard to say) and it seems like they're probably recycling scenes and using them to describe different story events.

Example: I made a CAW and in his first universe match he squared off against a face and lost (as a face). They did the whole post-match handshake thing that's been in the games for years now, and according to the story list that scene was meant to convey that my CAW debuted against a "respectable superstar" (they have all these totally-not-kayfabe-breaking euphemisms and it's kind of adorable) who was impressed with his hustle and a burgeoning alliance has formed. I haven't confirmed they've been added to each other's ally list but I guess that's the sort of thing that can happen.

The championship category has 400-something cutscenes, but that includes tag and diva rivalries in addition to the different permutations of kayfabe alignments, as well as things like repeated rivalries and the inclusion of allies (?). Presumably there could be scenes tailored to Undertaker @ WM / MITB / Royal Rumble rivalries too. And different roster members have their own unique rivalries with unique scenes - only one mentioned at the outset is a continuation of Cena / Punk but you could probably guess a fair number of other ones too.

I do appreciate that they made Taker's Mania rivalry its own thing. He was getting matches in 2k14 but the AI just really loved pairing him with Reigns in HIAC matches. RR ended up winning the third time around.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sting is in all preorders. Hogan is the edition-gated character.

epitasis posted:

Are there any notable changes to setting up brands or shows in Universe Mode? Also thanks for the roster update KFG.

Not that I've noticed. As noted, they tightened up storylines around WM season but show-to-show it seems unchanged mostly.

One thing they seem to have done is adjusted the attribute scoring algorithm to clamp down on inflation - high card guys are still in the 90's (Cena's still at 96, Dbry at 94, etc) but the mean stat range for the rest of the card seems to have dropped to the 84-85 range (in 2k14 the average was around 88 and only true jobbers went below 86). You'll definitely notice it when making CAWs - the scores that would have brought a guy to 89 in 2k14 now put you around 92 or 93, so the weights are definitely different. I don't know if that just affects simulations or what.

I think I'm going to do what I've done previously and just fast forward a full year to see where the rankings end up. I already find myself a bit bored, honestly - without the gameplay changes that are presumably in the next-gen versions it feels like I've done it all. Legendary difficulty seems to have tightened up its reversal windows, so it's not a total snooze at least.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

While that's true, two brands that share a title will ignore roster differentiation (unless wrestlers are set to be taken out of the title contention). Since 2k15 was made post-world title unification, Raw and Smackdown essentially pool their rosters and the split is eliminated for all intents and purposes, but that won't hold for new brands. Added brands will have to be daisy chained, eg Raw and Smackdown sharing the WHC, and Smackdown and WCW sharing the IC title. In that case, WCW wrestlers would show up on Smackdown but not on Raw.

It's worth noting that shared tag titles will only produce crossover of teams (and iirc, wrestlers from different brands can be in functional tag teams as long as the tag title links them), and that rivalries can only take place between wrestlers of the same brand, with the exception of title holders. Also, daisy-chained brands will tend to see titles defended more often, as a second monthly PPV featuring WCW per the example above would likely feature IC title bouts alongside similar bouts in the default PPV.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There's an option to turn off automated rivalries if they bother you. Beyond that, it does seem like there's more more variety in rivalry matches. Fighting rival's allies, interference in matches, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Davros1 posted:

SO apparently, on 2k15 (at least for PS3/XBox360), you can only download TEN wrestlers from Community Creations. If you want download more, you have to EARN it by becoming ranked in online matches.]
10/day. If you needed 10 slots filled two days after launch then you must really be hard-up on talent for your superhero wrestling show. It's gonna be funny playing through the MyCareer mode on the PS4 and drawing up matches against Starman, The Hulk and Paul "Roid Monster" Heyman while in NXT. On the other hand, it'll be fun to see so much of the TNA high card pass through NXT as jobbers before never being seen again, just as they would in real life!

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 30, 2014