Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm liking My Career, much more right to the action this time, and I love that every interview ends with an awkward 'mhm' smile and nod because they didn't want two days of voice recording to get 'well that's that' or something.

Also how do you do run ins and breakouts in Universe, I only tinkered with it for a second but couldn't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Yea but you have to get through the tutorial and your first default rivalry with Breeze first. It takes a bit but you'll be able to run in and gently caress with people freely fairly soon, they just want to ease you into the whole rivals and tag team buddy system I guess.

Haha there's an interview question on if you've played the game or not and you can either be a good employee and say 'yea what kid watching WWE doesn't want to be a superstar too' or heel it up and poo poo talk the game. Kinda loving some of these interviews.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jenny Angel posted:

I remember in the leadup to 2k15, folks were really excited about a new career mode that wasn't just about going on a winning streak, it was about building a fan base by putting on matches with diverse spots, building feuds that the audience cared about, etc. It seemed really cool

How much, uh, how much of a disappointment did that end up being

Pretty poo poo! Luckily 16 added a lot to it and while it's not perfect by far it's much more in line with the 'this is about reaching the hall of fame and telling your story' more than 'just keep winning matches that get tweeted at you by a lady who hasn't worked for us in actual years'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RBX posted:

How's online because nba's is laggy as gently caress for me.

Better than NBA's. Spotty at times, but yea if NBA is your window it'll feel less janky at the very least.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I actually really like the look of the new UFC game, I'm watching some beta stuff and all and saw the trailer for stuff like career mode and all and it actually looks pretty neat. One big thing I saw it looks like they got rid of the old grapple/submission system and replaced it with a new thing, any beta players have any opinions about that? I found last years to be pretty annoying to use.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What's improved in 13 that makes it better than the 2010 version Steam has?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So since it's on early access or whatever, how on earth does the 'ultimate team' or whatever mode in UFC 2 actually work? None of the videos I've seen have done more than a glance at the cards and it looks like you get poo poo like buffs and fighting styles as well as fighters? I'm super intrigued by 'fantasy UFC' but I have no idea how that actually works.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Testekill posted:

Freestyle angles are cool but Z PAKS! We can employ a shady as gently caress doctor

I can't wait to run the most carny, dangerous, unethical, wrestling promotion ever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I actually haven't gotten much into mods save for a couple. What are you guys' go-to ones?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, just reading that I could muster hope for poo poo like, say, a wide array of promo options including supporting/burying my peers to change their views of me, insulting/praising others to try to force a rivalry/team-up, or just generally show charisma that maybe makes up for my average ring ability like tons of others have done to get my push to the main event sooner and cut down on the grind.

Or with the backstage brawls stuff like, say, interrupting a rival's promo to fight him, or having some crazy kinda match like one old version of these games had where you could run up the ramp and actually transition into a whole new area and poo poo.

I think that, then I remember this is 2K and none of that will happen, it'll be a binary 'heel promo' or 'face promo' thing and MAYBE if we're lucky the 'insult/praise' choice, and backstage brawls will just be a custom match option that will never interact with the proper career mode.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I can see the theoretical idea of 'Let's make the matches come across more like real matches' but you'd think someone would stop and say 'oh, we're making a video game where the player can't do what they want because they have to fill the script of a WWE match perfectly instead'

so I guess it actually is the ultimate simulation of being a WWE superstar

I think this is the biggest issue they struggle with right now. Like, everyone buying these games knows there's a script, we know when Cena gets kicked out of the ring and has to pant and recover on the side it's because the script called for some time so Reigns can do some one on one work with Ambrose or whatever. We don't actually want to play that out, we like watching it, but this is a different medium.

Looking at stuff like the backstage video they seem to be genuinely trying to do interesting poo poo, and getting rid of Showcase mode seems to be them wanting to focus on 'you make a cool rear end match and play it' but as long as they're shackled to 'but hey remember when the script called for this to happen? THAT WAS SO REALISTIC RIGHT? We built a major feature entirely around that one moment!' it's gonna be weakened.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
2k, retire bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qK6oHOf14

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I actually wound up getting that game and it left me feeling like they did. I can't in good faith genuinely say 2k is a WORSE game, but holy poo poo was this stupid funtimes bullshit the most fun I've had with a wrestling game in a while and it kinda sucks we've moved away from that era of wrasslin games.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

projecthalaxy posted:

I think of it like the NBA/NFL Street games, which I also miss dearly. Sometimes ypu don't want a perfect simulation. Sometimes you want to jump 30 feet in the air for a dunk/run on walls for a touchdown/jump off 40 stacked tables in a 5 foot ring onto an 8 foot tall Ric Flair.

I was so hoping NBA Playgrounds was gonna fill that niche

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Info for career mode is comin out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianmazique/2017/09/13/wwe-2k18-mycareer-details-revealed/#64d7175d5f93

quote:

It appears the objective was to build on the rather limited options from WWE 2K17. 2K has upgraded the Story Progression, added free roaming to backstage areas, updated the promo engine and MyCareer Invasion feature.

Backstage elements didn't exist in WWE 2K17. This approach hearkens back to older WWE video games like Smackdown Vs. Raw 2009 and others that featured more backstage drama. In this year's game, you'll be able to choose between two different paths: Company Man or Fan Favorite.

A company man is essentially a heel. Here's how it is described on the WWE 2K website:

quote:

This involves conspiring with the GMs backstage, ambushing other WWE Superstars in the locker room or during their interviews and basically doing whatever it takes to maintain that GM’s power, both in the ring and backstage. The rewards are hefty, though! Continue helping the GM succeed, and you’ll gain access to awesome upgrades, such as the ability to orchestrate a run-in to help you win a match. You can also access Vince McMahon’s office to lobby for match card changes and title rematches.

quote:

In today's WWE, a fan favorite is a rebel who wins over the crowd with defiant promos and an edgy character. Here's how that persona is broken down:

quote:

Being a Fan Favorite means you don’t play the whole company game and you’re all about putting on the best matches and promos. You have a locker room full of WWE Superstars and Legends backstage. This route involves earning their respect by taking on different match types – night-in and night-out. You’ll also have WWE Superstars test your in-ring aptitude and skills on the microphone, but if you succeed at this, you will earn the whole locker room’s respect – and with that comes some perks. WWE Legends are always backstage during events. If you earn their respect, they’ll start to give you in-ring bonuses for your matches and promos. If you become the complete package – the guy who can walk the walk and talk the talk like Stone Cold Steve Austin or John Cena – you’ll be able to have your own customized WWE Championship or Universal Championship. This honor is only given to the best of the best.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
gonna make a belt that looks like big boobs with an eagle between them and ensure Cena NEVER gets it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Davros1 posted:

The embargo of 2k18 has been lifted, and if you were worried, don't be, it's still glitchy as gently caress!

fun ladder surfing glitchy or unplayable bad glitchy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
there are five stings in wwe2k18

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I dunno man I'm looking forward to the main event of my Universe Elimination Chamber always being "Five Stings and some rando"

Enter The Sting Chamber

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm sorry but seriously why are there five Stings. There's less Mick Foley than there is Sting! There's two distinct, bespoke, Neon Stings. Who has strong opinions about which of those Stings is better?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

super macho dude posted:

It's so you can play as Triple H and beat all of them single handedly just like irl

Oh man that's gonna be the 6th man in my Chamber of Stings yea.

Every year it's the same, the Sting Shaming PPV was a controversial choice but most fans agree 'yea alright'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the 2k trend of 'we did VERY detailed scans of exactly 4 people who we assume will always be the big stars and then the rest we outsourced to a team of 5 year olds working off a general description and no picture' is maybe one of my favorites.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey wasn't one thing the devs said they were working on was smoothing out the stats or whatever that made it so even NXT jobbers took at least 2 finishers from Cena to be counted out? Did that ever pan out or am I just talkin crazy?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

super macho dude posted:

I dunno, but I do know they added in modifiers into MyCareer and Universe that will sometimes affect you depending on who you're facing and if that other wrestler has some dumb hot streak or something, ie. you'll have to face a Super Cena but you only have half energy and little stamina to replicate a squash match.

Last year did it in Universe, but they never explained it to you.

oh is THAT what that stuff was? Neat idea.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
haha 2k18 has sponsored achievements, that's fantastic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Davros1 posted:

Also, they have the parts to make Col Sanders in the CAW

I'm gonna make my storymode CAW the colonel and I don't care about anything else.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The best story mode is WM 19 where you murder people in construction sites

Seriously they should just not do story mode unless this comes back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmB_FOf4aGk

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
For what it's worth I think the game is pretty solid this year. You can tweak stuff so the more annoying bits are less so and the universe mode is pretty drat good. I probably should have waited for a sale though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also I kinda like the story mode despite it being slow at first. The whole 'company man vs crowd fave' bars is a better system to put unlocks behind than 'face vs heel' and the arenas are juuuuust the right size to not be too annoying to run around.

I am not a fan of A) everything cool being locked in loot crates and B) the loot crates having no 'preview' option when you unlock. Getting "Taunts 004" or "Boots 020" means literally nothing to me and it's a bit annoying to have to go into the menu to check what's new. At least with "Macho Man Boots" I know what those are but I'd still like to see em.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean poo poo I'll fully admit to this probably being too much to pay for it but yea 90% of my enjoyment from this is just from mashing my wrassleman figures together and having poo poo like Macho Man vs Kurt Angle main event Wrestlemania for the Million Dollar Championship that is the highest ranked belt of the WWE. Then me and my dumbass friends can have New Day vs a bunch of dead rear end wrestlers in a Unicorns vs Skeletons match while we get drunk. It's dumb but it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is pretty much where I'm at with the series. I make a Big Fat Bois brand instead of a legends one though. Maybe this year I'll call it 505 Live.

Oh man, Big Boy Bash is a good idea, I should do that instead of legends and just sprinkle the old ghosts in the normal show...