Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

That was one of the most surreal things I have seen on the internet. Good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Testekill posted:

So is Undisputed 3 worth picking up as a casual MMA fan?

Undisputed 3 is the most feature-complete MMA game and probably will be for some time, and I still on the whole enjoy it more than EA UFC.

However, big ol' caveat: Because of THQ's bankruptcy, none of the online features work nor will they ever again. So if you like single-player MMA or you have friends to play it with you're golden, otherwise know that you are getting a product that isn't supported anymore.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

coconono posted:

I bought it day one and it really wasn't much of a game. Then they issued a few mechanics patches and it suddenly got fun.

Yeah, the gameplay has been polished up to be much more decent. The real problem is there still isn't that much to do in the game. The career mode is super-repetitive, the create-a-fighter is too thin to have any real fun with and there's no ladder/title/etc. modes, so it's basically just "well, do you want to play career mode again or go online?"

Still, if you like punching people, worth the discounted price.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

The UFC career modes went until you retired as well, but is also similarly pretty repetitive.

They're sort of WWE-ish too in that they force the retirement on you, often super-abruptly. UFC 3 hit a cutoff point (50 fights, I think?) where it simply said "hey, great career, next fight's it" and then wrapped up; EA UFC is even more hilarious in that your career longevity is theoretically tied to a permanent damage meter that goes up as you take hits in your fights, but at a certain point Dana White comes out and tells you about how as you get older everything starts to hurt more and you have to begin to think about calling it a day and the game begins bumping your permanent damage meter up by 20-30% after every fight even if you don't take a single hit, and within a few fights it automatically retires you because you can't compete anymore.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

That's how Fight Night worked (or at least it did up until the last one). The gains in your stats from training diminish over time, eventually they start to drop as you pass your prime.

Fight Night did just that, though--it made it gradual. It would wear you down over the course of a bunch of fights and make you struggle against the stat drain to hang out just a bit longer, which is absolutely correct and excellent. The UFC games just abruptly stop; you're not seeing your stats diminish or having to struggle more than you used to, it just sort of artificially ends.

IcePhoenix posted:

That seems 100% accurate/reasonable and not at all hilarious though.

In theory it is accurate and reasonable; in practice it means you have one fight where you're apparently in your youthful prime and everything is kosher, then you have another fight where you knock a dude out in thirty seconds without him landing a punch and the game's response is "HOLY poo poo WHAT A WAR, YOU CAN'T TAKE BEATINGS LIKE THAT ANYMORE, DUDE" as your permanent damage bar skyrockets despite the line above it that says you took 0 strikes.

If it were saying "you can't train anymore" or "your body gets injured more" it'd get more leeway but the only thing it's tied to is how many hits you've taken.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm sad to hear that, as I had planned to pick up EA UFC with the PS4 I want to get next month. Granted I've only seen streams, no trigger time, but it looks gorgeous and didn't seem to play that differently from Undisputed 3, which I loved. No Pride mode is a little annoying though.

It is an extremely visually impressive game, but it's a lot looser than Undisputed 3--everything's sort of slidey and the collision feels super-weird. There's a demo, so when you get the PS4 you can try it yourself and see what happens when Alexander Gustafsson throws a 360-degree leaping tornado kick at Jon Jones and hits him clean in the face to essentially no reaction.

Undisputed 3 was too robotic, this is too liquid, everything is bad and the best MMA game was the original Dreamcast UFC where Kevin Randleman had a spinning triple-roundhouse and you used it to knock out Big John McCarthy.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

That's most playthroughs, I'm pretty sure. I never touched a non-primary title.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Testekill posted:

The mask looks good while Harper looks like poo poo.

They were able to facescan the mask but Harper's beard broke the machine. Similarly, under the mask, Erick Rowan is just a flat AKI texture.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

EA UFC did in fact get massively improved by patches and fixes but that only took it from "really bad" to "meh" for sort of the same reason the WWE games have issues--it was trying to be a fighting game and a sim at the same time so neither ended up good. Here's your physics-based combat with a billion statistics that factor into how well your fighter will perform, now here's Alexander Gustafsson doing a leaping 360-degree tornado kick flush on someone's face to no visible reaction whatsoever.

It was an MMA game where you couldn't stop someone with leg kicks. poo poo was dumb. I will still buy UFC 2 day one because I am a fool.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

coconono posted:

dick kick fouls are in?

No, they've given you more freedom to hit people while they're dropping/in a knockout animation so it just looked like he kciked him in the dicek while he was unconscious.

UFC 2 looks good but I've learned about getting my hopes up.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

For those of us stubborn assholes waiting on 2k16's PC port, it was finally officially announced last night and will be out March 11 with all the DLC packed in. I am ashamed to admit I will buy it immediately.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

EA put up the full browsable UFC 2 roster, and for once it's so disgustingly thorough that you have Dooho Choi, Jan Blachowicz and three separate weight divisions worth of Sakuraba so you can have him kneebar Travis Browne for all eternity: https://www.easports.com/ufc/fighter-roster

Some of the models were clearly face-scanned and then you have, say, Rose Namajunas:

edit: but no Sage Northcutt, so expect DLC within a month

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 27, 2016

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Are there any reviews of UFC 2 from someone who understands MMA?

I'll write something up in here tomorrow when I get it.

Also, having waited for WWE 2k16's PC port: Jesus, the career mode is somehow even more repetitive than it was last year. How is that even possible?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

CarlCX posted:

I'll write something up in here tomorrow when I get it.

So, hey: UFC 2 is okay.

If you played the first: It's More and Better of that. They added a shitton of fighters, they tightened up physics, streamlined the striking and made the ground game much faster but weirder and ultimately harder. If you had any fun with the first game and want more of it, you're fine.

If you didn't play it or need more: It succeeds at being a quick, slightly arcadey representation of MMA, but while the controls are streamlined they still only work particularly well for striking. Grappling, as with every MMA game ever, is kind of a mess: Everything is relegated to single-directional inputs on the right analog stick that are supposed to logically correlate to what would make sense at that moment--i.e., hit Up to posture up or stand up--but they don't actually follow as logically as you'd think for all positions, so unless you memorize what movements are available from what positions you're going to be looking at the on-screen indicators to know what each motion will do instead of the game itself. They also tried to shift to a new system whereby, instead of the first person to hit a button getting to make an attempt to do a grappling action, both characters can engage in grappling motions simultaneously--but it doesn't register your input until the previous set of animations completely finishes, meaning you're timing out the end of animations to start your input first. It's a fast but obtuse system that's super-finicky about timing, and when you combine that with the fact that they greatly improved the striking but left the first game's submission system totally untouched, I feel like they know the vast majority of players just want to kickbox and used their time accordingly.

So the physics are better, the striking is better, the new game modes are cool, knockout mode is hilarious and you can be Sakuraba in three weight classes, but the grappling is still mechanically funky and it's still sort of glitchy. In my first online match I knocked someone down, they ragdolled into the Steve Nelmark position on the cage, the game didn't know what to do and rendered them untouchable for about eight seconds and then they teleported to their feet in mid-headkick on my face.

Also my Ultimate Team team is anchored by 5'11" 45 year-old paunchy middleweight former TV star Tim "The Buzzsaw" Taylor, who grunts and rubs his belly after he knocks a man out.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The UFC 2 career mode is a lot more strict about damage--not just because you can take less of it before retirement but because unlike UFC 1 passing various total damage thresholds makes you more injury-prone and makes it take longer to raise stats, which in turn makes it harder to fight the top dudes without getting hosed up more. Kind of neat, kind of a pain.

Also, even as I gradually understand it better I'm coming to really dislike the grappling, in part because it seems the AI doesn't play by the same reaction/stamina loss rules you do, mostly because it really, really disincentivizes holding positions. It's a lot harder to Fitch dudes now.

Oh, and I gave up on WWE 2k16's areer mode because holy poo poo what an awful slog. I didn't think they could make it worse than 2k15's.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

So, I just did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrG9ROR-Kt0

This game is okay.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

So, in what probably shouldn't be much of a surprise, it turns out the damage tracker in UFC 2's career mode is sort of bullshitting you; I had a fight that went almost the full first round that saw me absorbing a dozen significant strikes followed immediately by a fight where the guy hit me once and I knocked him out in twenty seconds, and the bar went up by the same amount in both.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Dev talking about some ground game mechanics here

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10402843.page

quote:

You can get KO'd in side control, but you cannot block.

However, you cannot get KO'd while mid transition in side control, and the strikes will never kick you out of your transition.

When your opponent is mid strike, they are exposed to a grapple disadvantage.

So the best ways to escape in side control are to deny the DOM's submission/transition attempts and/or transition while your opponent is mid strike.

If you have low health, the best way to protect yourself from getting KO'd is to transition before the point of impact.

You'll take damage but never get KO'd.

I can't help feeling the fact that they have to write things like this repeatedly noting the inexplicable differences between positions should be telling them that they hosed up the grappling pretty hard.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, during a prerelease fan Q&A their community manager said a PC port was never going to happen, unfortunately.

Every time I see TEW news the part of me that obsessed over EWR back in the day feels like it could wake up and I have to beat it to death.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Talkc posted:

Ouch, well hopefully that will be patched. Thanks though.

I do have a question about the character creation. The only videos ive seen on it are an Achievement Hunter video and Monster Factory, and in both of those videos they made utter monstrosities. Thats fun and all but how good is the character creator at violating copyright law / creating real people? And can you make female characters? I need to know if i can throw Janet Reno in a cage match with Sarah Palin, or have a street fight between Al Franken an Ted Cruz.

Copyright law is flagrantly violated and barely curated; you can make women in 2k16 but not 2k15.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

This is the best wrestling video game news in 20 years.

edit:

remusclaw posted:

I am there under the same name, though not a frequent poster at all. So excited. Steam!! Imagine if it allows for community created assets!

I cannot imagine modding capability was not a part of this, given how they helped nudge it along back in the goddamn Dreamcast and PS2 eras. I imagine this game will ship without a single licensed wrestler in it and one week later every licensed wrestler in the world will be available.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

ShootaBoy posted:

So this is gonna make me seem like a huge stupid idiot, but what is this a remake/sequel of and why are people so hyped for it?

Tacking onto what everyone else said: Fire Pro's appeal is 50% customization and 50% being closest to capturing the feeling of wrestling.

Like, speaking as the kind of rear end in a top hat who's been playing wrestling games since Wrestlemania on the NES, every wrestling game is objectively lame because wrestling is a cooperative art but wrestling games are actually fighting games (and almost all of them (bless you, All-Stars) are BAD fighting games), and every wrestling match being formatted as a fight means you're just trying to stomp the opponent out while taking the minimal amount of damage, and if that's not what's happening, it's generally because you're doing a bad job of playing it, and as a result it rarely feels like wrestling. Fire Pro's system incorporates stamina, damage, reversal likelihoods and just the right amount of momentum shifts to make matches unfold in a fashion that feels a lot closer to real wrestling, and despite being 2D all of this is accomplished with no UI in the way, just extremely well-animated body language, and on top of all of THAT, the AI customization is so ridiculously thorough that wrestlers can do all of these things while acting noticeably different from one another.

It's still a wrestling fighting game, so it's by no means perfect, but it's the closest there is to something that feels like watching wrestling. A huge part of the Fire Pro fanbase just does giant CPU vs CPU simulations because of it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

I know people are cranking out wrestling and :wtc: dudes by the truckloads, but is anyone making any decent MMA CAWs? I need my Bas Rutten fix in this game.

DeathbyHighKick is doing some decent work: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=975348779

Otherwise, pickings are slim enough that I'm trying to learn well enough to make stuff after my downloaded Nogueira kept trying to pin people.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Notes from the stream:
- They're talking about redoing the UI since they rushed it with their small team to get it ready in time.

To the list:
- More Parts Filters It's coming.

As someone who's been diving into the deep end of edits and being driven progressively insane by the redundancies of the UI and the inability to quickly name/traitsearch for the parts I want, these would be godsends.

quote:

- Story Mode Director talked forever. Story mode is a biggest request. Two ways. One of would be a straight scenario mode but they could only use the default fake wrestlers. Second way to be to give you a toolbox to make your own story mode. If they go the second way, it'd be much further down the line. If they go the first route, Sudo51 could come back to write a new scenario but again that'd be way down the road.
- GM/Promoter Mode :siren: They are adding a promotion mode. :siren: Inspired by the GBA version. That would be the base. They want to build off that. They haven't actually started work on it yet so it's coming to be much further down the line.

Oh, god, please. Please give me both a harshly-rated promoter mode and a new suda51 story where Dick Slender gets his revenge on the wrestling world by beating people to death with a tire iron.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I am also on a fool's errand of slowly building all of the MMA characters from the Pride era (or as many as I can before I go insane), so if you want dozens of mostly obscure turn-of-the-century Japanese fighters, go for it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

89 posted:

How do I find the collections I'm subsribed to so I can unsubscribe?

You can't, unfortunately; Steam only tracks what individual items you're subscribed to, not the collections themselves. Best workaround is to hit Favorite on any collections you subscribe to, because then you can go to the workshop, select "Your favorites" in the Your Files pulldown, then hit Collections and it'll show you every collection you've favorited, and you can Unsubscribe All from the collection's page.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Spark That Bled posted:

I have a question about point values for wrestlers in Fire Pro. I'm making wrestlers for my own personal women's e-fed, and initially they were all going to be 185pt. But after checking point values of other wrestlers in the workshop, I'm wondering if that's too high, maybe?

Like unimportantguy said it's all over the goddamn place now that the mod community is all-hands, but the general consensus is:
  • <100: Jobbers, managers, joke characters, people who should almost never win
  • 100-140: Undercard
  • 140-180: Midcard
  • 180-220: Main event
  • 220+: Legends
Even then there's some disagreement about the top line, a lot of people stretch the main event tier from 180/190 to 250. It depends on where the mass of your edits are; people who focus more on having all their characters be competitive tend to stay under 200, people who are more focused on having clean tiers for their own mental storytelling purposes keep them more spread out. If you're making the characters just for your own fun, it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing as long as you feel they're balanced against each other.

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 28, 2017

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Having spent a couple of days with the UFC 3 beta I'm...really not feeling it? The new striking feels inconsistent and all over the place, and the much quicker pace of it makes the slow input reception feel terrible--I tap the jab button to throw a jab, and in the second it takes my character to start animating the jab I get punched in the face three times and can't block or sway because I'm already jabbing at some point in the theoretical future after I've gone to college and gotten an education for my post-retirement career..

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so this Pride FC pack I downloaded to get a bunch of MMA people has a lot of fighters I was totally unaware of in it

this has mostly been a fun experience, but the lowest ranked guy is Joe Son and I was kinda wondering "wait who is this guy and why is he such a hilarious jobber"

turns out there was a whole rabbit hole here (warning: :nms:)

e: his MMA record is literally nothing but losses and that record couldn't have a better home

That is prooobably my collection, and I can tell you it was extremely gratifying to (accurately) make him the pack's official punching bag. gently caress that guy.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

Is there a way to tell what a downloaded wrestler's stats are, or at least just the total? I made my dude a 162 overall because he's supposed to be flawed (hes basically just a boxer in a wrestling ring) and i dont know how that compares with the way most people make dudes. I can't open downloaded characters in the editor but is there at least like a properties screen I'm missing?

You actually can look at them in the editor, it's just obtuse. Instead of trying to directly load a downloaded wrestler, go Edit Mode->Wrestler Edit->Create New Edit->Model Wrestler. If you scroll past the default roster you'll get to all of your downloaded characters and you can open them and see what they're like under the hood.

It's really silly that you have to take that roundabout approach, but, y'know, Fire Pro.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Don't post your matches on Reddit.

Mostly this; SC definitely doesn't give a poo poo about Fire Pro and /firepro only has like 10-20 people on at any given time. If you want to make this an actual thing people care about, your best bet is trying to run an actual league of some kind on a twitch stream rather than just random match video posts, and post on fireproclub or something where the community actually is.

Also, I get why you did it but posting your own thing with a "someone simulated this" header when they can easily realize it's you means the backlash will always be worse than the benefit.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Armitage posted:

I dunno about DJKM’s edits. I downloaded a modern Triple H of his and man, he actually never wins a match despite having 194 points.

It just seems like none of his moves actually hurt the opponent and his logic seems kinda off the longer a match goes.

That's kind of the problem with DJKM77's stuff: He's a ludicrously prolific dudemaker, but because his goal is to singlehandedly make All Of The Dudes very few of his characters feel focused. He makes strong templates and then wraps tons of wrestlers around them rather than really embodying single people.

I'm personally a fan of TheAvenger3's HHH, but at 220 it can be a bit overpowered (which is dubiously accurate, I guess).

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

If you preordered the unnecessarily premiere version of UFC 3, it is now available.

When you get to the main menu, the game directs you to the tutorials first, because the TUTORIALS button is the only one with a big, bold, underlined RECOMMENDED above it.

When you attempt to click on a tutorial, it pops up a gray screen that says COMING SOON.

Don't preorder video games.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

So they won a fight by KO in the first round but the simulated tweets were all like "Hey you'll do better next time".

I'm having a real mixed experience with this game but maybe my favorite thing about it is its accurate simulation of how no matter what you do or how well you do it people on twitter will tell you you're the loving worst.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Fight Night Champion just got added to xbox backwards compatibility and I am the happiest man.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

You could also always just publish them (privately, if you want) to the workshop, then redownload them in case they don't save.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Testekill posted:

WWE All Stars is such a fun game, why can't we have something arcadey like this anymore.

It only sold about 1/3 as much as the annual WWE game, basically. It was a lot more fun, but a huge chunk of the market is going to buy a single WWE game in a given year and they'd rather get the simmy one with the current roster than a weird arcade game.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

We put together all of the fan feedback from 2k18--thank you, fans, we love you--and we really took the series back to the lab this time and we spent a lot of time figuring out what was wrong with it and what we needed to invest our massive resources in to make it better, and we listened, and learned, and we came back with what the fans have really been asking for: A fighting game ladder mode

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

I assume this will not be available on XBox. Sigh. I haven't gotten a wrestleman game in years.

If you have a computer made in the last ten years you can pick it up on Steam, where you have a better character/mod community too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So basically, I don't have to worry, necessarily.

:stare: You just saved me loving days of effort.

Yeah, they don't give a poo poo outside of that unless a company complains. Twitch's archiving is also basically pointless, though, so if you care about people accessing your old streams you should probably record your outgoing stream and then dump it onto youtube.