Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

IGgy IGsen posted:

Battlegrounds, many assume
Battlegrounds was made by an entirely different studio, Saber Interactive, with an entirely different engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sounds like WWE and 2k have renewed their licensing deal, so I hope you weren't pinning too much hope on those EA rumors.

https://twitter.com/WWEgames/status/1506747657288847360

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

i would be incredibly surprised if the music isn't just .wavs or .mp3 in a folder. i think that's how it was for older mdickie wrestling games
Wrestling Empire uses a new engine (Unity), so sadly that's not how it works.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Is Community a thing they could conceivably add later via DLC?
Poteeeeentially? Spike Chunsoft built their own system for the console version of Fire Pro. Whether or not people will still care if/when they manage it, though...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
According to the FAQ the PC version will be based on the previous-gen version. So, uh, don't expect too many tech miracles.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

El Generico posted:

You want to use the Mupen64Plus-Next core in Retroarch, which adds some key features. Project64 is trash
RMG is basically Mupen64Plus-Next with Project64's nice, sane UI and without the stink of being attached to RetroArch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

It was published by Epic, guess they didn't like competing against themselves (even though I doubt there was much crossover between Fortnite and Rumbleverse)
My understanding is that it simply wasn't making enough money to cover the costs of server upkeep, let alone future development. A very clinical decision, but one handled carefully on the people side to make sure everyone got refunded and nobody got laid off. The developers (Iron Galaxy) own the IP and want to relaunch it at some point, but it'll take actual work to untangle everything from Epic's systems and retangle them in the systems of whoever they end up partnering with.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

El Generico posted:

There was a certain narrative that Yuke's was a good dev being held down by the restrictions associated with having to make yearly WWE releases. I think that's shattered now.
I will never not post this screenshot of their old website.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, it's named for their founder, president and CEO, Yukinori Taniguchi.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

lmao at thinking there will be a next game with embracer group laying studios off left and right
I think Embracer/THQ Nordic were only handling the publishing and marketing side. It wouldn’t be impossible for AEW/Yukes to find another partner to handle that. Whether they will, though…

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Did embracer acquire Yukes?
No. An Embracer company is involved with AEW, but in a publishing and marketing role.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

hilarious lack of playtime aside, Steam got a chuckle out of me
Yeah, some games have unique descriptions in the Steam Year In Review thing. WWE 2k23's is "OMG CM PUNK RETURNED AT SURVIVOR SERIES!" I dunno if any of the other wrasslegames on the platform have similar comments, I don't think anyone's collected them all anywhere.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

unimportantguy posted:

Yuke's made Rumble Roses, didn't they? I remember that game being pretty well liked.
Yuke's make a lot of things across the entire quality spectrum. It's just kinda hard to remember since they spent most of the 2010s exclusively working on WWE games.

Since they left the series after 2K19, they've put out two Earth Defense Force spinoffs, assisted Sega with development of two Tokyo 2020 Olympics games (including the Mario and Sonic one), did the AEW thing, and published a mobile DC Comics-themed deckbuilder that launched last June and is shutting down forever in two weeks. So, kind of a mixed bag.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

You should have Boot Camp on your Mac
Only on Intel Macs. Not on the newer ARM-based ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

This is one of the reasons devs tend to gravitate toward catch-all engines like Unreal Engine 5 and customize them off the shelf as needed for whatever type of game you’re making — new people you hire for the project will at least have a baseline understanding of what they’re working with. Plus all the work of like, physics and visual stuff becomes way simpler as you use industry standard middleware.

That difficulty with custom development’s hard even before you factor in that FF uses the same extremely old codebase as its pre-AEW ancestors. Or that your options for experienced devs working on this kind of game are basically nonexistent beyond YUKES. Or that if its staff quits or retires or is laid off, YUKES itself could lose familiarity with their own tools.
I mean, Fight Forever does use Unreal Engine 4. I assume by the "game engine" stuff they mean Yukes' combat systems, gameplay code etc.