Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

By the way, with the recent changes to model quality, WWE is officially caught up with UFC 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

2k14 was actually a pretty good game with relatively few issues and a lot of customization under the hood. it is the first game I would compare favorably to HCTP. My buddy and I still play it. Hopefully 2K16 will represent an un-hosed 2K15.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I honestly can't believe how many people actually care about divas in video games. I don't really play any of the actual characters in these games anyway, it's the CAWS for me (which was also bad last year).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

First thing you should do in the game is raise the people you plan to use to 100 (or whatever level you feel everyone should be at).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shawn Michaels is awful in HCTP. He even has his horrible 2003 haircut and brown tights. This is also back when weight limits were a thing, so he can't really do moves either.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

One of the better features of 2K15 was getting Alberto Del Rio to do his arm-slapping taunt in the Performance Center training sequences to elicit ghostly chants of SI SI SI from an empty warehouse

Best ever was 2008 when every chop Flair did resulted in a "Woo!" from the crowd. I made sure Flair was all chops all the time that year, leading up to a low blow, so I destroyed my friends' torsos in 30 seconds flat.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Waiting for a PC release w/sale.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Those loading screens are HILARIOUS ... as is that CAW. It looks awful.

At long last a Totino's pizza roll design for my CAWs. Pre-ordered.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

We have a lot of people here who post poo poo about the games even if they're OK. 2K14 was the best WWE game since Here Comes the Pain. We're coming off a bad year for the games, so people are not expecting much.

It's not like I'm not sitting pretty here though with the advantage of being able to listen if people moan piteously about it day 1 and then make my decision about picking it up on PC.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

pressedbunny posted:

They've had those features in before, under different names, and it's never made that much of a difference. AI throws out whatever moves the wrestler has assigned and the high you set things the more quickly they do 'em, that's always been about it. ~6 months isn't long enough to create an intricate, customisable AI system.

It was OK in HCTP, you could work a guy's moveset and then set his personality to capitalize on it. It's not difficult.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Davros1 posted:

First off, the wrestler look HILARIOUS. HBK's arms and torso look especially weird. And for the Tyson thing, if they couldn't use him (which still cracks me up) they should have done what they did years earlier in the WWF: replace him with James "Buster" Douglas

Frankly although the not-Tyson is hilarious, this is roughly ten times the effort on cut scenes that we were seeing even just 2-3 years ago, and the improved animations are noticeable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The cuts to the crowd going "buhhh?" after he does an RKO kinda kill me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

coconono posted:

I hate WWE games and I'm enjoying this one.

the CAW creation looks really fiddly but its actually pretty quick to gen up a guy. You can still cheese the gently caress out of the game with the extended sequence moves.

You can finally go drat near seizure inducing with the pyro in the entrance creator.

Matches actually flow and don't revolve around hitting running knees. It actually looks like a modern WWE match.

Downsides are the Career mode drags and there's no good checkpoint system in the showcase mode. Its missing the create-a-finisher mode which kinda sucks as it adds more uniqueness to your CAW

Do they still have any Create-a-Finisher? They neutered it in 2K14 to the point that they did almost no damage.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I had hoped we were done with the phase in these games where you got cheevos by jobbing, and now jobbing is a thing you have to do all the time. Imagine literally any other game regularly telling you that you have to lose in order to progress.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There is no scenario where losing on purpose in a video game to get a bonus is not dumb.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

unwinnable bosses in RPGs

Have always been garbage

quote:

or the end of Halo Reach or etc.

Substantively different than being asked to stomp a guy with every move you have (the only barometer of whether a match gets five snowflakes in this game) and then actually lose on purpose for him--substantively different than any of your comparisons--because "realism" according to goons

On top of everything else, "I can't wait to experience WWE's amazing godawful booking that makes everyone look bad as if I were really there," said no one ever.

Or am I to take it that the Stockholm Syndrome of wrestling fans has actually gotten so bad that you actually enjoy jobbing for Triple H?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

You can take video games too seriously or you can take prograps politics too seriously. Putting them together just makes you look like a goon.

Purposefully taking a fall is still a dumb mechanic and it has been dumb every time this game series has ever done it.

As far as a half-kayfabe, half-realistic backstage atmosphere, this series is still playing catch-up with Here Comes the Pain. We're getting closer to the breakthrough gameplay of 2003 though. It sounds like it's still brutally repetitive like most of the Universe mode stuff has been, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Geektox posted:

Have you played the game because I'm wondering why you are so fixated on a single permutation out of many of a mechanic you literally never have to engage with if you don't want to. It's not like Trips personally comes to your house and breaks your disk over his knee or something. :confused:

I wish he would, that would be a good story.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nut Bunnies posted:

I think the game is fine. It's definitely rough, the devs definitely do not understand why the best wrestling games are so beloved, and some models are horrible (Did they not get the rights to Whipwreck's appearance?). I LOVE the little things like multiple attires, auto-managers, and the little animations. That said, it's fine. It's not No Mercy, it's not SVR 06. But it's also not Backyard Wrestling, SVR 08, or TNA Impact. There's room for improvement which probably won't happen, but I'll buy the Season Pass when it gets a discount in a few months and peer pressure HulkaMatt to get it so we can try and find glitches with KungFuGrip like the good ol' days of 4 years ago

"This is not actually horrible" is pretty high praise coming from you.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xerzes posted:

Button-mash, I think. And playing as a fresh CAW is tough. Winning is going to take some time.

When you get a CAW to 100 in HCTP (or whatever number you think is appropriate), always copy that CAW when making a new CAW. Do not repeatedly make new CAWs unless you want to be leveling CAWs for 3,000 game hours.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's kinda blasphemous to say but I think WWE Raw 2 is a better game than Smackdown: HCTP. I finally played Smackdown and, while it's fun, it suffers from No Mercy syndrome where it keeps forcing you into tag/handicap/4-ways during career mode which kills any fun. The thing I loved about Raw 2 was how you could create your own scenarios. It would get old after awhile but dominating the roster while manipulating everything was great for a couple of hours.

Also it's weird how they shared music.

With respect, you are completely and utterly wrong, as Raw 2 is mostly poo poo, but it does have a couple of things (like attacking people during their entrances) that somehow wouldn't reappear in wrestling games for 12 years. The thing is that the gameplay in Raw 2 is totally awful and the season mode is endless tedium. You can win the Royal Rumble by throwing everyone into a corner and giving them a clothesline, automatically dumping them out. That's how low-effort it is.

HCTP probably has the least 2v1/3v1 poo poo of any Smackdown game outside of the very recent ones. Hell, there's at least one storyline where you can become a corporate heel who delivers these beatdowns. It has a large number of trigger-based storylines with branching paths that dynamically use other characters based on their overness and face/heel alignment. It doesn't measure success as "you won the gold at Mania and are now John Cena's friend," it actually lets you choose what you are trying to accomplish and has a simple system for turning face and heel. No game since has done all this in a single package. We're starting to get closer now that the games have abandoned the lovely voice-acting-based storymodes in favor of an open approach again, but it's still clunkier and less fun than this PS2 game. It's been mentioned before, but no good wrestling games came out on the original X-Box.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

I never really had a problem with Raw 2 but I think the issues started to crop up when you raised the difficulty above medium.

There was some cool stuff in the game. Beyond dropping boxes on people, which was awesome, it had...custom music in entrances, deep control over your pyro, the ability to run in circles, light back grapples (which was probably the weirdest omission about HCTP), more than 3 matches per card in career mode, a clear menu showing your stats/alignment/friends/enemies, the ability to choose what you wanted to do during a specific match on the card, the ability to select who you wanted to feud with through manipulation. I think it had a stamina system so having a bunch of matches without resting in between would cause issues. Unlike HCTP's weird thing where it would book you in a handicap match, a four way TLC and a backstage brawl all on the same show, which would give you like -8 if you lost everything. I also think it had the ability to skip a match your character was booked in. Which is all I wanted to do with the tag matches/4 ways/handicap matches I kept getting booked in with HTCP.

I didn't notice the trigger-based storylines. I started as Scott Steiner. Was approached by JR backstage telling me he was in his hometown. I didn't blow him off. And all of the sudden I was face Scott Steiner in a storyline against Bischoff for weeks. Good idea in theory but I wasn't having much fun trying to play it. Same with challenging a champion and seeing them have one or two finishers already stored. Or asking the GM for a title shot instead of getting into a feud with the champion.

Granted, I haven't played Raw 2 in over 10 years but still...I think a Raw 3 could have been one of the greats with one more pass of polish. The jump between Raw 1 and Raw 2 was insane.

(And Royal Rumble sucks anyways so anything that allows me to cheese it is cool in my book)

- edit I forgot the biggest feature that no wrestling game has done since. The ability to let friends drop in and out of your season mode. I think four local people could be playing season mode at one time.

A lot more stuff happens when you have the world title, and there's enough to do that you can probably run out an entire calendar year as champion without seeing all of the championship storylines. If you try to hold all 3 belts at once it will basically make you wrestle 12 times a month, because you hold all 3 belts. Certain things will only happen if you are at a certain overness, you can decline the really basic ones in favor of pursuing and defending a title, and it was really nice to be able to tear all the wrestlers I hated out of the roster and replace them with CAWs that the game would book for me and track their W/L and associated popularity, instead of staring at Universe mode and wondering why no one will drop a title unless I intervene personally to make them job.

For as open-ended as Raw 2 was, actually playing it was a really tedious, repetitive experience that made me hate that version of the Raw theme in a way you might never understand. If you haven't played it in 10 years, you might not like what you return to find.

I think HCTP, after many long years, has finally been surpassed by the newer games because of core gameplay issues and lack of newer features (I sure wish I could throw in 100 CAWs to HCTP), but it was the gold standard otherwise. The animations are actually still better than the stuff in 2K14 (haven't tried 2K15 yet).

It's really hysterical how many "new innovations" in the 2K series were in very old games. Legends of Wrestling 2, which overall is kind of a poo poo game, still has better commentary and context-specific move reversals. In 2004.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mikey Whipwreck knows a sure thing when he sees it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Or they will keep the Four Horsewomen out of 2K17 again. That's more likely.

Insert Sex and the City joke here.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

St Evan Echoes posted:

blake and murphy: a higher priority than sasha banks or bayley

They treat objects like women, man

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

1st AD posted:

Any word on this coming to PC yet? I don't have a next-gen console and I really would prefer having it on a platform where you can actually inject your own music.

They are being very quiet on this, but last year the PC version came out when all the DLC was out (and came with said DLC).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

In more 2k15 is loving broken news:

I had to restart a title match because I reversed an opponent's move and DDTed them through a table---and they awarded my opponent the belt.

The Authority has reviewed the tape and determined that in fact you were speared through the table.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WWE 2K16 is up for pre-order on Steam ($45). So now we can all experience maybe the best WWE game in ages?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skunkrocker posted:

UGH. I really don't want to get into this argument again, because it's been done to death. But I want to address this.

Yes, we get it, you think Punk being a professional wrestler before being an MMA fighter means he's going to get creamed. Okay. That's fine. I'm not going to disagree with you because that's pointless. And maybe his stats don't reflect his actual in ring experience because he doesn't have any, and putting him in the game now is a huge mistake given he could get rocked in his first match and never fight again, maybe he won't, maybe he'll be a future title holder. None of us know, all we can do is speculate. That I don't care about.

But OBVIOUS FRAUD? That's a little strong. What fraud is there? No matter win or lose he's going to get the poo poo kicked out of him just like every loving UFC fighter, where is the fraud? I really want to know what the "obvious fraud" part of your statement means. Do you think he has a secret conspiracy with Dana White to have UFC fighters lay down for him to make him look like a better fighter than he is or something? What obvious fraud? The gently caress are you talking about?

A lot is being made of 37-year-old Punk (getting into ancient territory for MMA fighters) having surprise back surgery and putting off his fight with a nobody, here.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fat Lowtax posted:

I like how every new WWE game seems extremely hard for like an hour, then you get a hold of the new rhythm with reversal timings and it's extremely easy.

Yeah, I would like input from people who have played it in regards to the limited number of reversals you get.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Looks janky even in the trailer but encouragingly different.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The legendary Undertaker story. E:F;B

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I guess the TMNT movie did really well in this reality

"Do a hype video for the match we just did on this show. Because I'm Vince McMahon, drat it!"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Testekill posted:

2016 actually runs the shows from the bottom up, so Sheamus won the world title and then won the royal rumble for shits and giggles.

This is even better.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Regrettable posted:

WWE 2K16 is $14.99 in the Steam summer sale. It seems like it's optimized a lot better than 2k15 was.

I'm enjoying it and its vastly improved mechanics from 2K14, the last one I got, but there's a distinct lack of create-a-parts. What is there is really good, but they skimped in a couple of areas that will probably limit the far end of replayability unless there are some mods I'm unaware of.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Regrettable posted:

They, of course, removed some parts that were in last years game for no apparent reason. I won't be surprised if they bring some of them back for 2k17 and say that they're new.

I haven't had a chance to test them yet, but here's a link to to the thread where people are porting over characters, movesets, entrances, and titantrons from 2k15: http://smacktalks.org/forums/topic/61058-wwe-2k15-port-over-project-some-2k15-mods-added/

Also when I tried playing it with a friend, the "realistic" mechanics actually made it an annoying experience. 2K14 is still a good party game, 2K16 with friends feels like you are stuck in a glue pit together.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah it's OK though if a game wants to play like a video game instead of deliver me WWE booking no matter what character I choose. Focusing body parts doesn't even seem to matter.

Also the match options all went away and it crashes when I load an elimination chamber. So that's cool.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

The chosen one :negative:

Come on, no one would loving care about this

Immersion ruined

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nut Bunnies posted:

Legacy features from when the game was more arcadey doesn't count.

Also MyCareer is one of the biggest loving slogs I've ever experienced outside of an RPG. Having to use everything in my move set & dragging out a match to get what little extra points I can grab is a horrible experience. I get what they're going for, but it was a huge misfire.

2K16 provides a pretty good rassling experience, other than that it doesn't matter what character you are or what you're doing in the ring. The best that it gets is that you are almost imperceptibly stronger or weaker than a given wrestler and only then if you are working a certain body part.

The game also needs to dispense with jobber simulationism. People want to re-enact and create main event stories with their favorite wrestlers and CAWs, not get told by Triple H that they have to do more pushups.

Incidentally, 2k16's CAW offering is just about the worst I've seen of any wrestling game in maybe 10 years.

The game plays nominally well but simply has no depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The_Rob posted:

Honestly what bothers me most about wwe games is that there are move animations that have been in there since I played the very first smackdown game.

And all the ones newer than that are worse.