Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Just cooked up the roux for my Chicken Creole (technically Chicken a sauce piquant, but that just confuses people). I'm going to try and take pictures as I throw everything in the slow cooker tomorrow. Using home-grown tomatoes and peppers for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
I made Chicken Creole in a slow cooker, here's how I did it.

First you start with a roux. Cook 1 part day and 1 part flour until it looks like milk chocolate. Be careful not to let it burn. I make a whole lot and then freeze it, because making roux takes a while.

This is the roux in my slow cooker, melting.

Then you chop up a mirepoix. Traditional French mirepoix is chopped onion, celery and carrots. Cajun/Creole mirepoix substitutes sweet peppers for the carrots. I mix both because I like carrots. The peppers are Anaheim, from my garden. You also add garlic with the mirepoix.

Mix the mirepoix and garlic into the roux and start the slow cooker (or put them into a pot and cook at low)

Wait until it smells delicious.

Peel & chop tomatoes, or open a can of diced tomatoes. These are also from the garden. Open the slow cooker and toss them in for a little while, until the tomato softens up.

Chop up some chicken into bite size pieces. I prefer thigh meat, but all I had was breasts. Add it to the vegetables, and add Creole seasoning, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. I make the seasoning out of lemon pepper, cayenne powder, thyme, cumin, and a tiny amount of cinnamon. Luzianne works just as well, since I tried to copy it.

Close up the slow cooker one last time and let it sit for a few hours, or you can't wait any more. Pour it over some corn bread (I use the Betty Crocker southern buttermilk recipe) and chow down.

If the garden keeps doing well, I'm going to try and make lasagna with fresh noodles some time in the next week or two.

Edit: Sorry for weird photo sizes, my phone sucks.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 19, 2014

The X-man cometh
I finally took the slow cooker and put it on the countertop and now I use it all the time. It's really good for making marinara or Bolognese sauces. I also use it to make dal when we cook Indian.

The X-man cometh
It's bread that tastes just like meat -the holy grail. It's also almost completely gluten, which disproves all those gluten-free weirdos.

The X-man cometh

Bo-Pepper posted:

Optimally you want a wood cutting board that is end grain. End grain cutting boards more readily "heal" cuts in the board and is less prone to harboring bad germs than a scratched up plastic one.

Does this apply to side grain wood boards too? I always use plastic for meat because I think it's more sanitary than wood. Guess I'll have to change that around.

The X-man cometh
I ran out of brown lentils but wanted to make dahl today, so I went to my favorite YouTube channel and found this awesome recipe.

http://youtu.be/ZinwmeO5YaM

I don't like all the oil in tadkas so I just dump all the ingredients in at the beginning. If you want to be more authentic, do the whole tadka thing, or try it once to see how you like it.

I'm not a big Punjabi food fan, and that's the Indian food everyone's familiar with. Make this instead, mix it with rice and sauteed vegetables and you'll see what most Indian people eat.

The X-man cometh

Security Drone posted:

yeah its on the level, you toast the rice a little bit before you start, its fine... rissoto does this too, though with butter in the pan to coat the rice

Indian pilaf recipes have you sautee the rice in spices before adding liquid, too.

The X-man cometh
I can confirm that egg nog made with booze is amazeballs. I like all nog, though.

Some of the alcohol evaporates in the fridge, so it's not as boozy as you expect, but it's got a good amount left.

The X-man cometh
I'm braising a brisket this weekend. Any tips?

The X-man cometh
Sardines are also one of the best sources of omega-3 fats, so even the fat is good for you.

The X-man cometh
Just made a sirloin steak using Ron Color's technique. It was Amazing.

The X-man cometh
My wife got some of that Amish friendship bread starter and made a really sweet cake-bread with it. Could I use the same starter, add less sugar, and make a sourdough bread?

The X-man cometh
I'm pretty sure I have to help put up a barn next weekend because of this bread.

The X-man cometh
The friendship starter worked fine, but it came out sweeter and denser than expected. I'm going to fiddle around with the mix and see how it turns out.

The X-man cometh

The Goatfather posted:

im really happy with my bread

im also rly happy with my DIY brick oven

those are unglazed quarry tiles and you can get 44 of them at home depot for less than the cost of a pizza stone: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-...url__W425238599

Do you only need tiles for the surface you're baking on, or does the second layer ho above the bread/pizza to reflect the heat?

The X-man cometh
How do you get big puffy bread? I make super-hydrated dough and it still comes out pretty normal.

The X-man cometh
No preferment, but I don't think I've been leaving it long enough. Does a poolish make that big of a difference?

The X-man cometh
I made a pizza last night using the oven at 500° with cast iron pans in the oven to capture the heat. It came out fantastic, but it works even better when I let the dough rise overnight.

The X-man cometh
I'm trying bread again, this time more scientifically than my usual "add flour or water until it's the consistency I want" I'm using a sourdough starter I started before Christmas, and a high hydration on the dough (about 75%).

Here are my loaves just after shaping:

I'll be back tonight and add pictures once it's risen and then after it bakes.

For rolling pins - I've found that the thin ones Indians use for rolling out chapatis are much easier on the hands, and really good when you want something to come out really thin.
They look like this:

Edited because I used volume instead of weight to calculate hydration.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 5, 2016

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The X-man cometh
Oh, the rolling pin is for pasta, I don't use one like that, but when I have, they seem to work really well.

Here are my loaves all grown up. I brushed some oil on for color, and in they went.

And finished! Any thoughts?

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 6, 2016

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The X-man cometh
Both types of grinders have metal cutters spinning at high speeds, I think they're both rough on the beans.

The X-man cometh
One-dimensional?

The X-man cometh

om nom nom posted:

Three Bae Kink would be a good username

Mods please

The X-man cometh

Lizard Wizard posted:

is it a bad thing to put shredded parmesan on asian-style microwave noodles?

That sounds great, gently caress the haters.

The X-man cometh
What's the difference between English Muffins and crumpets?

The X-man cometh
Be as good as gin in a martini?

It's essentially a flavorless alcohol/water mixture, which makes it really useful for all kinds of applications.

The X-man cometh
What ratio of booze do you have to use to keep it from going bad in the fridge?

The X-man cometh
Please do! It sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
These aren't really slow recipes anyway so they aren't going to benefit a whole lot from the instant pot- I'd say make the curry in a pan while your IP cooks the rice. It'll also make short work of anything with dry beans/lentils or pilafs. I got an indian IP cookbook for xmas but haven't really dug into it yet.
[/quote]

My family makes dahl by pressure cooking the lentils/mung/toor with some spices and then cooking it in a pan adding the vaghar (the rest of the spices simmered in oil).

Can you add ingredients partway through an instant pot cycle? I make my dahl in a slow cooker which comes out more liquid, which I like, but isn't authentic.