Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

yeah it's probably about guarding against people who don't know what they're doing. in general in the world of consumer products, most producers don't like to lean on the idea that "the customer ought to know what they're doing"

in other words, "if someone is using our product incorrectly, it's our fault, not theirs" is the MO of most businesses who make things, and I don't necessarily agree with it but i can understand why it's a good philosophy for business sake :shrug:

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

haha seitan is really good but it looks gross and weird, esp while being made, there's no getting around that

in response to morning wood:

"bachelor" meals is a term i don't like because it implies that a man living alone most likely lives in filth and eats nothing but pizza and ramen because there's no woman to cook for him, but okay i get what you mean (what's wrong with being a social justice warrior)

good easy meals for a novice cook, let's go with that

The key to beginning cooking is DON'T BE NERVOUS. So many people get hung up on oh jeez i let the pasta cook for more than the 9 minutes it says on the package oh man i don't have a 1/8 teaspoon how am I going to add the 1/8 teaspoon it says in the recipe oh poo poo the recipe says "sautee vegetables until tender" how tender is tender ahhh
just do it and it will turn out tasty. your intuition will tell you if you hosed something up so badly that it's inedible, but that's very unlikely.
(It's for this reason that i used to disdain recipes/cookbooks because they make it seem like things are more exact than they have to be (there are exceptions, like baking), but I've come to respect recipes as a starting point to give you the gist of how to cook a particular type of thing.)

here is one of my old standy quick, simple, easy meals that I feel like got me started in cooking, it was one of the meals that was so easy that when i first lived away from home in a place with a kitchen I just basically improvised them with no experience and they were delicious, and they were a good gateway meal to cooking cooler / more interesting things

GOOD EASY MEAL FOR A NOVICE COOK: PASTA MARINARA
THings you'll need:
spaghetti, linguine, whatevr you like, it doesn't matter at this stage
a jar of pre-made pasta sauce, OR a can of crushed tomatoes (slightly more advanced)
your fav veggies - peppers, onions, and broccoli are 3 of my faves for pasta marinara. leafy greens are nice too, if you use those add them right in the last minute or two of the veggie sauteeing portion

optional - get yourself a jar of pre-minced garlic in oil or brine (fresh garlic is better but this is a good substitute for a beginner)

cut up veggies to bite-sized pieces, if you don't already know this you want to discard the onion skin and the pepper's inner white parts and seeds
also if you buy a whole broccoli few people know this but you CAN eat the stem and it's good, it's just a little tough... up to you. it helps if you peel its skin a little and then chop into discs

IN A PAN OR SMALL POT
put some olive oil in a pan on medium heat, and put the onion and a big ol forkful of minced garlic in there, move them around in there for like 5 minutes, then add the pepper (and brocco stems if you ahve them), stir a few more minutes, add the brocco, stir a few more minutes
Is there room in the pan for the sauce? good, pour it in and reduce to a simmer, stir occasionally until the sauce is hot (if not, transfer veggies and sauce to a small pot and proceed). Adding basil and oregano is a good idea here too, even if the sauce is pre-basil'd.
if you're using a can of crushed tomatoes instead of sauce, add a little salt and a litle sugar, and somce spices - basil, oregano, even sage are good ideas. Definitely garlic powder if you didn't use wet garlic. See if it tastes good to you, if not, add a little more of whatever.
Maybe add some cayenne or crushed red pepper if you like spicy?
ADVANCED MOVE: add like a cup of red wine to the sauce, this will make it more watery so let it simmer uncovered for a while (15 minutes? idk) until enough water has evaporated that the texture seems nice again

MEANWHILE IN A BIGGER POT
cook pasta according to directions. Probably get the water boiling around when you're satueeing the veg, then start cooking the pasta once you add the sauce.
drain the pasta
toss the drained pasta in a little olive oil... if you don't have your timing down on this, the olive oil will help it not stick together as you finish the other things. If you do have the timing down, a little extra olive oil is tasty anyway :yum:

combine all things, add parmesan cheese to taste, eat it and save some for lunch tomorrow

there was a time where i'd cook a whole mess of ground beef first and then do everything else exactly as I wrote here except add the ground beef to the veg at the same time as the sauce, but it's been many years so if you wanna do that just look up how to brown and drain ground beef i guess
veg alternative: textured vegetable protein is a cheap weird soy byproduct that has a texture like ground beef, you just reconstitute it in water or veggie broth, drain it, and add it to the sauce, it's really good this way

alnilam fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 29, 2015

ty manifisto

alnilam

om nom nom posted:

Feel free to play with your food! Most cooking in my experience is not from a recipe but also not entirely invented. Try the mustard sauce again, but maybe add a splash of beer, or a little orange juice or zest.

That is, cooking off the top of your head is great, but there's also no need to reinvent the wheel. It's also an art, not a science. Take a recipe, and when you are comfortable, add an ingredient, or take one away. It's the first step towards making it your own.

Under seasoned? Season it more! Over seasoned? Pitch it and start over, or make a double batch instead! Put something new in and its edible, but not as good as the recipe? Don't do it next time! Add an ingredient and it's better? Write it down! Success!

alnilam

pro puppy pic as well :woof:

ty manifisto

alnilam

I love the sofrito tofu I'm gonna try that. Intrigued by the rice too! Love tostones but yeah they're pretty unhealthy lol

alnilam

Pepper grinders are great to have, if you're put off by the prices of those nice ones you can easily find passable pepper grinders for like $10 and it will still be way better than pre ground or the non-refillable ones

alnilam

On the other hand freshly grinding salt is pointless, unless you want to grind salt of varying textures, which most people who have salt grinders don't do anyway, i never got salt grinders

alnilam

:toot:

alnilam

joke_explainer posted:

The fresh peppers shouldn't be added until later as you will tear gas your house.

Did this once incl the seeds :whitewater:

alnilam

beans slow cooker crockpot

alnilam

majorly agree that homemade nogg is sooo good and storebought stuff is poo poo

i have a similar but slightly different recipe that i'll post when i can find it, just so you can choose whichever sounds better2u... mine involves milk not cream, if that makes it easier (you probably already have milk around)

e: i wanna try your recipe this year though it sounds good :cheers:

alnilam fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 28, 2015

ty manifisto

alnilam

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I'm going to make your nog in ~1 month

Just remember it wants to age for a week or two

alnilam

alnilam

I made ravioli from scratch

I'm very tired

alnilam

so we made 60 ravioli + some scuzzy, um, "linguini" out of the final scrap dough

filling A: butternut squarsh baked until soft, mashed up with some basil, sage, thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper, and finely chopped and sauteed onions + garlic

filling B: arugula, walnuts, olive oil, sauteed garlic, and fresh parmasean blended in food proc; + a single crumble of gorgonzola placed into each ravioli while assembling

so here's the basic idea

you get a ravioli mold like this

then you make dough:
  • 4 cup flahr
  • 6 egg
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
make a volcano out of the dry ingredients
fill the crater with the wet ingredients
mix from inside to out until it's dough
knead for like 10-15 minutes - i had to cut it into 2 balls to make it easier to handle for kneading
store covered with damp cloth (I mean, like, in a bowl with a damp cloth over the bowl) for like half an hour to let it relax

then you roll the dough out on a flour'd countertop
each ball can easily make enough dough for about 2 dozen in a mold about the size of the one pictured, so cut each ball in 4ths (so you have 8 cuts of dough total)
keep the ones you're not using covered with a damp cloth!
This is the part that made me really tired. Why? Because the only rolling pin at my gf's house is the one that came with the ravioli mold - look at the photo above, we have roughly the same mold and rolling pin. It doesn't even have rotating handles! We're talkin rolling out 10 pieces of dough to be quite very thin using basically a 1.25" diameter dowel. This would have been much easier with a real rolling pin, ugh

after rolling one out to be a bit bigger than the tray, and dusting the ravioli tray with flour, plac ethe dough on the ravioli tray, get its top surface slightly wet with your fingers (esp around the seams of the ravioli), and press down into the dimples of the ravioli tray... the dough will bounce back a bit but once you put the filling in it'll stay down

put about a tsp of filling into each little dimple and press down gently on the filling with the spoon, it should stay down better now
for filling B, here I also gingerly placed a delicate crumble of gorgonzola atop each dollop of filling *kisses fingers italianly* mwah!

then take another rolled-out dough that is the size of the tray, this will be the covering layer. put it over top

then you use the same tiny-rear end rolling pin for its actual intended purpose:
roll it gently along the whole top of the tray a few times to bond and squeeze out air
then press the pin hard into each inter-ravioli seam, go around and do this a few times until they've all cut mostly through
you should be able to just pull away the excess dough around the edges, then flip the tray over to dump the ravioli out and they should be nicely cut apart or need a little careful separating

save all your scrap dough from the edges (store in the covered bowl(s) along the way) and you'll get a bonus batch or two out of it by the end!

when all dat rav is made, you boil however many you want to eat tonight for just a couple of minutes (3-4), and freeze the rest
make some basic red sauce w garlic to put overtop but don't go too wild on the sauce you want to taste the rav!

they were really good!!

ty manifisto

alnilam

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

rollin out the egg pasta as thin as possible makes me arm tired too

thank you for your sympathy and understanding

ty manifisto

alnilam

joke_explainer posted:

might be a nice idea to get a new rolling pin! they're very inexpensive. I like my really heavy marble one with handles but a lot of people seem to use the long ones that are just a single piece of wood you roll, you can apply more force directly that way I think and don't have to stop as much for repositioning and such... idk though, I only have used them at friends houses and I like my marble one

I know, I usually use my housemate's but this is at my gf's haus... someday I'll need to get one

i don't get the idea of one without handles... you can get one with handles and when you want more direct force just not use the handles?? I did so much rolling that I'd much rather have had handles, all the direct rolling with my hands was hurting my hands by the end

alnilam

Afro Doug posted:

how do you guys make coffee?

I roast my own its really fun

then i usually do pour over in a basic <$10 pour over funnel

its good

alnilam

yeah french press is good too, it's different

it's like there are times I'm in the mood for french press and times I'm in the mood for paper filtered pour over, they're two different things... tbh I usually go for the latter but fp is real good too

alnilam

let me talk a little bit about GRINDR

cheapo blade grinders are fine, esp. if you want to grind the gently caress out of it for espresso. but burr grinders are nice because they give you a much more consistent size after the grind. This is great for espresso, great for french press (you can grind coarsely without as many fine dusty grounds sludging up your coffe), great for anything

"but burr grinders are *checks amazon* like over a hundred dollars alnilam, what the gently caress"

yes, but here's my favorite burr grinder... it's simple, cheap compared to other burr grinders, very unlikely to break, you can take it travelling or camping (though not backpacking lol talk about waste of weight)

http://www.amazon.com/Porlex-Mini-Stainless-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0044ZA066
http://www.amazon.com/Porlex-JP-30-Stainless-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002JZCF2
you can get either for $30ish on the amazon marketplace or $40 from amazon directly
the smaller one is great for 1 cup (even a 22oz cup) at a time
the larger one will get you a little more quantity, maybe a couple of cups worth

you turn it with your hand which is kinda fun, honestly it takes like 30 seconds for a cup's worth of grounds and it's kinda fun, turning the mill while the water boils is a nice part of my morning routine
i actually have the mini one at work and the big one at home; the mini one i used to have at home and it's not even a big deal to reload and mill again when making coffe for multiple people... you can even let each person grind their own so everyone takes part in the fun

you adjust the fineness by turning a screw on the bottom

uh that's all i like this coffe grinder and if you want a burr grinder but don't like the 100+ price tag, and knowing that the cheaper eelctric ones sometimes break anyway (there's a bodum one that's notorious for a plastic retaining ring breaking, my ex had one), get one of these it's really sturdy and simple and great
:coffeepal:

ty manifisto

alnilam

Bo pepp I'm making your pancake recipe (sorta) rn, excited about the results

alnilam

It was really good

alnilam

Okay so my housemate and i really like to make seitan from scratch, as you can see in my post earlier itt, and its nice to make in big batches but the downside is unless we're having a bunch of people over its hard to go through 4-5 logs of seitan fast enough, but recently we discovered something wonderful

grind it up in a food proc
freez it (in separate portions)

Ground satan is a wonderful component in veggie bolognese sauce or (with cumin) in burrito nite

Here's my easy vvegan bolognese: (well easy once you already have the seitan made)

Heat equal parts olive oil and water in a medium pot until it's like 1 cm deep idk
Throw in a chopped onion and minced garlic and a pinch of salt, stir occasionally on medium heat until looks cooked

Then add:
28oz can of crushed tomate
a cup of red wine
1-2 cups ground seitan
a lil salt, pepprr
much basil, thyme
some other veggies like maybe (in descending order of laziness) bell pepp, brocco, chopped kale, frozen spinach

Bring to bubble then simmer da sauce uncovered for like half an hour?? Meanwhile cook pasta of choice

Top with pepper, and parm if like me you're not actually vegan

Also you can use TVP instead of seitan if you don't have it handy but as in all things, satan is better

alnilam

what the h*ck is sous vide

alnilam

oh

alnilam

Should i care about it if I'm vegetarian

alnilam

i flunked out posted:

this is a super pro move right here

Yeah i recently tried that on bo pepper's advice and it's really good

It is a little extra effort though and joke_explainer is right that a simple pancake batter is very easy and hardly any more effort than using a mix

alnilam

One bae in the sink would be sufficient though.

alnilam

om nom nom posted:

Three Bae Kink would be a good username

alnilam

hello friends i wanted to ask, is a magnetic knife strip bad for the knife?

ty manifisto

alnilam

>take credit card from desk
You grab the credit card.
You are now flagged as a thief!

> use knife on credit card
It doesn't do anything.

> use magnet on knife
Knife is now magnetized.

> use knife on credit card
The credit card is now disabled.

> put credit card on desk
You put the disabled credit card back on the desk.
You are no longer flagged as a thief.

alnilam

HighwireAct posted:

made this v good meal tonight:

here's the recipe, if anyone's interested:

The recipe looks like it says "very food"

alnilam

wow, much recipe, very food

alnilam

tao of lmao posted:

Gonna try making a shepherd's pie with mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes. Wish me luck!

It's good but you know what's even better try making it with white sweet tates that's the best version of shep pie imo

alnilam

I'd say the name refers more to the format / supporting ingredients than to what kind of meat goes in

alnilam

For examples i often make shepherd's pie with lentils and plenty of people make it with beef too, as long as the spices and format is there then it counts

alnilam

Yeah pot pie and shepherd's pie are totally different settings in which to place meat or w/e

alnilam

Can i have a piece

alnilam

I just made my favorite summer breakfast right now, it goes like this
Pick fresh baby greens from garden, i grow a mesclun mix + arug
Warsh them
Dress with olive oil, balsamic, salt pep garlic maybe some oregano
Poach 2 eggs, put on top of the salad, add a lil more salt and pepper atop the eggs
Make toast, spread with whatever you like to put on toast

This time i garnished each egg with an arugula flower bc my arugulæ are bolting and their flowers are really tasty it's like eating 5 spicy arug leaves at once

Yum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

I apologize for my lame breab but it's all i had atm, will improve the meal after i swing by the goatfather's :)

Also I call this a summer breakfast bc spring+summer is the only time i have greens to pick, i guess you could do it with store bought greens but to me the meal is pretty seasonal