Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joke_explainer

poverty goat posted:

sadly the gremlin in my phone's camera made those pics all come out blurry. but it was sous-vizzled medium-medium rare and grilled 3 min so it looked exactly as it should have

Ahhh nice I’m imagining it it looks perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Menudo, or you tripin' it up for some other reason?

joke_explainer

I grew up in a city and can’t even imagine having anything but pristine water out of a tap. Really interesting hearing about your experiences. It’s just so different. Sorry if I sound insultingly naďve, just the limitations placed on day to day life sound so punishing. Yet you describe a pretty amazing food culture. It reminds me of one of my favorite cookbooks, “A Taste of Country Cooking” by Edna Lewis, who details the cuisine of Freetown, a small Virginia farming community populated by former slaves. It’s full of amazing recipes I can reproduce... at an astounding premium. Like, it’s like, oh, we’d have a goose as a special occasion meal. We’d go outside and throw a rock at a goose. Free goose. But like duck breast here is $30 dollars a pound. A goose is like sixty or eighty bucks.

joke_explainer

Tahini is literally just ground sesame seeds. A little oil to emulsify, maybe. Since you are grinding them anyway, the difference is there is no difference, it's the same thing.

joke_explainer

Poise your food is beautiful. Those scallops could stand a bit more color but maybe it’s just the photo

joke_explainer

I don’t like “Cajun seasoning”. You are probably better off controlling the mix of white pepper, cayenne. thyme, oregano, black pepper, celery salt, onion/garlic powder so it tastes how you want. Those mixes always just cheap out and are like 50% salt, also, they sit around forever. Toasting the spices fresh and having relatively fresh herbs is going to make a huge difference.

My fav ribs I’ve made were the smoky/spicy apricot ribs I want to try out brown’s recipe now though.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 24, 2019

joke_explainer

did you put za'tar on those eggs? What's the dried herbs?

joke_explainer

I made those seared broccoli 🥦 “steaks” from serious eats with the cheese sauce. My plating was a total embarrassment so no photos but it was a huge hit. Very simple sauce, just simmer some heavy cream and add to a container of diced tallegio cheese then immersion blend after a bit. I added a little nice white wine vinegar to balance out the richness on the broccoli and that worked well, the lemon zest on its own didn’t do enough.

joke_explainer

what's cooking BYOB? I'm still subsisting daily off frozen portions of cassoulet, greatest chili, green chili, chicken black bean stew, and other combinations of braised meats and beans that freeze great. I filled up my freezer and I haven't really cooked anything in what feels like over a month.

joke_explainer

If you do tagine, definitely do not use the NYT cooking recipe. It has you dry-rub spices all over the chicken, then sear it on super high heat. This just burns all the spices and it's absolutely terrible. I made it again just adding the spices to the onions and it was great. I have no idea how that recipe passed quality control.

joke_explainer

Bad for risotto?

I don't have an instant pot, I have the Breville Fast Slow Pro™, which is a wonderful pressure cooker that makes fantastic risotto. The recipe I've used for it is a pressure cooker mushroom risotto one. It comes out perfect every time without any busywork. I think pressure cookers are insanely superior to the laborious traditional risotto.

I use it for primarily just a handful of recipes.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/11/pressure-cooker-ragu-bolognese-sauce-italian-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-lentil-bacon-stew-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-black-bean-stew-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/pressure-cooker-beef-stew-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/presure-cooker-mushroom-risotto-recipe.html

I make that set of recipes, probably at least once a week. The first one, the chile verde chicken, is the easiest recipe I've ever known. Rough chop a few things, throw in cooker, basically done. It is like my goto gently caress everything I don't want to cook but I have to make something recipe and it's delicious.

I've made a few other things once or twice, including these two:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/smoky-barbecue-bbq-beans-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/01/pressure-cooker-french-onion-soup-recipe.html

(pressure cooker carmelizes onions with no tending, but your pressure cooker will smell like carmelized onions forever. It doesn't really impact other things though)

The thing is amazing at cooking beans.

I also make stock maybe every three weeks with it. It is of course amazing and fast at making stock and the stock is higher quality than what I make on the stovetop.

joke_explainer

I definitely use the pressure cooker more often than my sous vide machine. Which is basically nowadays just my 'chicken salad machine'.

joke_explainer

Manifisto posted:

may I just point out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yr_etbfZtQ

personally I like hot wet rice, but even so

Head deep down thread and you'll find me jokingly talking up the breville and this video being linked. All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again...

joke_explainer

Having a faucet above your stove is amazing. Who wants to carry a huge stock pot of water four feet from the sink. Nah. Every kitchen I worked in had a faucet by the stoves for this reason. (All two of them)

joke_explainer

hamjobs posted:

Gonna go sharpen a chefs knife and get out my glass cutting board to break open a loaf of hot not yet structurally sound bread :evilbuddy:

The terror apparent in their plan made the humid, hot air in their Victorian-looking New Orleans inn seem even more oppressive. His hands shaking, he unfolded his kit across the bed. Three bulbs of garlic, a glass cutting board, a very dull knife. Tied to a harness, a poorly browned roast chicken, for protection. After a moment, the experienced hunter Chatham tilted his huge, buckled hat forward and snickered. "No, boy. When you're hunting a BYOB Fine Dining Effortpost Funhouse Founding Poster, you don't use fresh garlic - they love that stuff. You've got to use the garlic that comes pre-minced from the grocery store, in those little jars. It's completely flavorless and they recoil in horror."

joke_explainer

:captainpop:
Looks awesome! I got to do that someday.

I made buffalo wings for the first time the other day.

I did the sous vide a bag of them and let it dry, then just fry them for three minutes, using my deep fryer so it was surprisingly low stress.

They were completely perfect. Tasted better than the best wings I’ve had at any wing joint imo.

Hash I made a few weeks ago:

joke_explainer

poverty goat posted:

I made the serious eats sous-vide chicken salad and I think I prefer it with dry grocery store rotisserie chicken breasts like mom used to make. Maybe I'd like it a few degrees warmer but the texture is not what I'm looking for apparently (because I used thighs maybe?)

In doing so I finally got around to trying their stick blender mayo and wow that was actually really fast and easy

Yeah, thighs need an internal temperature of 165-175 to be properly cooked. That recipe is explicitly for chicken
breasts, which need to be brought to 155. The FDA recommendations are based on what temperature will immediately give you a 99.99999% reduction in pathogens, but sous vide allows you to cook at a lower temperature for a longer duration, giving the same effect for food safety.

This is desirable in chicken breasts which are prone to drying out. Not desirable in thighs, which are forgiving to higher temps and need them to break that connective tissue down.

joke_explainer

poverty goat posted:

Yeah that info was in my head somewhere but it did not volunteer itself in the moment

Yeah halfway through the post I was like huh wait this is goat he knows this stuff... but decided to post it anyway

Perfect poached salmon and stuffed mushroom? Looks great

joke_explainer

Resting Lich Face posted:

The crunch is the worst. Flavor is either nonexistent or dirtwater...

Arugula tastes delicious

joke_explainer

All lettuce tastes amazing when you cover it with fat and vinegar

joke_explainer

Resting Lich Face posted:

Sharp eyes will notice there's some spanish rice cooking but shown nowhere else.

We will not be discussing the spanish rice.

This is why I use my Breville Fast Slow Pro™ so my rice comes out perfect with no effort every time

joke_explainer

What are you cooking, BYOB?

joke_explainer

Manifisto posted:

well I did spring for the pasta machine and made fresh spinach noodles for the lasagna . . . the beast is assembled but won't be baked until tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how it comes out!

how'd it go? Photos?

joke_explainer

I think all the things you mention as being too fussy are just methods to get what you want. I mean, you could say the same thing with any level of preparation.

For me, I like crispy skin, and not overcooking the breast, so spatchcocking is kind of the best method. It basically makes the chicken a flat layer of meat, and the legs are out and more exposed to the heat. We want the legs to get hotter than the breast, so this works. High heat browns the skin.

Turkey, I dry brine, I don't typically do that with a chicken though, just salt and dry off the skin so it crisps up.

joke_explainer

What have you been eating or cooking, BYOB?

joke_explainer

bump, what is everyone eating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Looks delicious. Here’s some fried rice I made recently:

And some tacos with al pastor: