Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat

i made another bread

this one is Hokkaido Milk Bread

bread is cool because if you nailed it it doesnt need plating or garnish or anything it just looks loving sexy all on its own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

how much better is it than a pie made from canned pumpkin

poverty goat

for breakfast im having french toast except instead of bread i used costco apple turnovers and i spiked the eggwash with weed oil

poverty goat

i made a cake. i didnt even decorate it

1 layer of almond pound cake sandwiched between 2 layers of fudgy bittersweet chocolate cake with chocolate mousse as mortar, covered in marzipan and ganache

all in all, almost 4 pounds of bittersweet chocolate (that chocolate rocks by the way, it really took the cake to the next level :goatdrugs:)

i made some bread today also

i hope you all had some good food today!

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 25, 2015

poverty goat

the bread is http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/french-style-country-bread-recipe but a bit on the wet side of the recommendations with a 2:1 bread:wheat flour blend

the cake consists of:
http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/essential-bittersweet-chocolate-cake-for-improvising (note this recipe tells you to bake it way too long, it only needs like 12 mins and the skewer will come out clean)
http://www.italian-dessert-recipes.com/almond-pound-cake.html (plus some almond extract)
plus mousse, marzipan, ganache.

e: bonus bread http://i.imgur.com/smfoGBs.webm

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 25, 2015

poverty goat

joke_explainer posted:

That's good. What yeast did you use? Thank you for sharing

food lion brand acive dry yeast in a jar

joke_explainer posted:

Makes me so happy to see bread like that. The more people experiencing real bread from home the better.

yeah the bread situation in america is really bullshit. a few months ago i snapped eating some loving grocery store whole wheat bread and I haven't bought bread since (and neither has my grandma, who waxes nostalgic about her father's bakery in belgium before the war whenever i bring her some :glomp: ). it turns out bread is a lot of fun to make, and also the ingredients are dirt cheap and it enhances every meal you eat

poverty goat

maybe your yeast are underachievers

poverty goat

poolish enhances the flavor and texture and shelf life of your bread anyway

i got the tartine bread book for xmas and im attempting my first naturally leavened bread today :toot:

poverty goat

there are no pics of the process because its bread, my hands were way too messy at the time to be touching my phone. I don't have the dutch oven yet so I just did it on the tiles like I've been doing so I can compare and :wow: this is the best bread I've ever made

i had a little sticking after proofing so they're not the roundest boules but

im thinking filthy sexual things about this bread right now

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 29, 2015

poverty goat

i was going to have a sandwich and soup after the bread came out bjut i just ate almost half a loaf of bread with butter and im stuffed

poverty goat

joke_explainer posted:

That's loving insanely good for your first try. That crumb. That volume. And you aren't even using a dutch oven. Holy poo poo.

the loaf i cut last night was the one that really wanted to stick after proofing. the other's crumb is less lopsided

e: bonus shot of brick oven setup

I've learned that this setup with tiles above+below actually tricks this oven's thermistor into never reaching 500 while it heats the tiles to upwards of 550/620 bottom/top. also misted the oven and put some boiling water in the bottom on this one :lsd:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 29, 2015

poverty goat

dutch oven came today

one of my scores didnt take on right loaf so it doesnt look as good from the top :ssh:

:toot:

poverty goat

Pomp posted:

is it possible to make a good bread with some kind of cast iron pan set up?

you need a tight seal to trap steam inside with enough room for the bread to spring (the rising that happens in the oven). for non bread related reasons I'd been planning for a while to jsut get a lid for my 12" cast iron skillet to use it as a dutch oven but I'm glad I didn't because it wouldn't have been tall enough and I wouldn't have been able to invert it (the lid of the recommended dutch ovens are designed to be usable as separate pans on their own, and for bread you actually put the dough in the top and place the larger piece over top). you can try to improvise but ymmv and it's probably a wash if it's not a good seal

all of the previous breads I've posted itt were just baked on pizza stones if you've got one of those (the bread immediately previous to this one is the same recipe, cooked on the stones). the crust will never be quite bakery tier this way but it's still really tasty and crusty and sexy looking, probably better than whatever other bread you'd be eating otherwise. you'll want to try to raise the humidity in the oven which generally means getting a spray bottle full of water and misting the bottom of the oven good every 2-3 minutes for the first 15 minutes or so

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 31, 2015

poverty goat

good luck! I've never actually used a rolling pin for bread :shobon:

tonight I'm making ginger+coriander (80%) whole wheat bread. In the book they've got these beautiful pictures of dark whole wheat bread with big rear end air pockets inside and it's all "whole wheat bread can be just like this*!! *if you are using just the right freshly ground seasonal flour and the stars are aligned". I'm using king arthur flour from food lion and didn't quite get that level of lift but itll do

the raisins swelled up and are pretending to be blueberries

it did get a lil dark on the bottom but not inedibly so

it's v good with cream cheese. several good breakfasts will be had and the book insists it's a sleeper hit for grilled cheese :staredog:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 6, 2016

poverty goat

i gently will the beans into perfectly sized grains with my mind during my morning meditation

poverty goat

Pomp posted:

my child

nice looking bread

i baked these yesterday

poverty goat

Pomp posted:

Grilled cheese is fine dining right?

yes

poverty goat

im pretty good at bread now

this is whole wheat sourdough raisin bread (not sour at all, but naturally leavened w/ my sourdough starter). I've made this one before and maybe posted it but this one was the best yet! It really sprung in the oven and the crust is perfect.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 25, 2016

poverty goat

if only the plate was centered on the mat...........................

poverty goat

i made biscuits and gravy! everything is made from scratch, even the sausage (2:1 pork shoulder and cherry smoked slab bacon w/ some sage and a lil maple)

i didnt take any pics of it plated because i was starving and high and i forgot, but it was excellent

also i made this for dinner (bacon, garlic, garlic, garlic, anchovies, lemon zest/juice, etc):

i didnt take any pics of it plated because i was starving and high and i forgot, but it was excellent

poverty goat

first stab at cheddar+jalapeno

poverty goat

it's not bread yet but it will be, either late tonight or tomorrow morning!

This time I upped the cheese and jalapenos a bit, and cubed some of the cheese and added it later after some folds with the jalapenos instead of grating it and mixing it all in in the beginning. The grated cheese gives the crust just the right level of cheesiness but i want some cheesier bites inside as well

poverty goat

i did it

poverty goat

joke_explainer posted:

Looks perfect. Let's see the interior!

poverty goat

alnilam posted:

Can i have a piece

yes come on over

I've been slacking on my bread duties and I have family coming into town next week so im making 2 more different breads today, the usual raisinbread and also some sweet milkbread :yum:

poverty goat

Hey do any of you guys have a really dank bread pudding recipe

poverty goat

carmelized onions and goat cheese rolled in everything bagel stuff

the dough ended up a little wet on account of the extra moisture in the onions and i ended up overworking it trying to get it shaped so it didnt spring much. it's good but i think it could use a little rosemary or something

poverty goat

Tomato basil bread! Almost all of the water in the dough was just fresh ripe tomatoes. It's good but not great, came out just a bit too sour imo

poverty goat

i flunked out posted:

like too sour because of the tomatoes?

Well it's sourdough for starters. The sour flavors normally present in sourdough come from lactic/acetic acids produced by bacteria in the starter which usually take a back seat to the yeast since they feed mostly on sugars and alcohols produced as waste by the yeast as it consumes flour. In this case I think the bacteria got off to a much more active and early start on account of all the sugars present in the tomatoes. Tomatoes are also fairly acidic and all the acids inhibit the yeast. It's still tasty bread but I'd have liked more of the tomato sweetness to have come through in the finished product.

poverty goat

where would we be today without onions

i shudder to imagine

also im thinking about reprising the carmelized onion+goatcheese bread this week

poverty goat

this is that carmelized onion+goat cheese poo poo

poverty goat

:yum:

poverty goat

seasonal cranberry bread :toot:

poverty goat

i used to use a dutch oven but ive gone back to cooking on unglazed quarry tile (pizza stone works too) and steaming the oven w/ wet towels so i can bake more than one at a time. I get a towel sopping wet and lay it out on a sheet pan w/ a little standing water in it, and kind of crinkle the towel evenly across the pan, then stick that in the bottom rack 5 mins before the bread goes in. The towel wicks up the water and it gives you 20+ minutes of really good steam (after 20 mins or so youll want to pull it out because the water will be mostly gone). I've had great results and don't gently caress with the dutch oven anymore e: im pretty sure i got this from tartine bread

also I concur that turning it out of the banneton onto parchment paper makes getting it scored and into the oven v easy

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 11, 2016

poverty goat

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

someone tell me the secrets of the bread lame

how else will i create the perfect catloaf :smith:

• use a razor blade if you don't have a knife that's really sharp because it gets sharpened regularly
  • try to do the whole cut w/ one quick motion
  • it can help to oil the blade if the dough is pulling/sticking
  • its much easier to score cold dough so if you're having problems at room temp try after proofing overnight in the fridge

poverty goat

i went through a goony shaving w/ a safety razor phase, the remnants of which are now a lifetime supply of razor sharp lames since i just dont shave anymore

poverty goat

the gws bread thread is chill, dont be afraid

poverty goat

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:psyduck: but then how can their breads obtain enough oven spring?!

actually if its chill when ti goes into the oven the yeast will live a little longer and spend slightly more time in the goldilocks zone farting it up in there

poverty goat

if human farts smelled as good as yeast farts public farting would be encouraged, rewarded even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

im unconvinced that grocery store bay leaves have any flavor at all