Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Problem description:

I am having a series of possibly related issues connecting to various online game services. They seem to be similar in nature and I'm hoping there's an easy fix that will solve all of these problems, but it's possible that they're all separate issues. There have been three major ones in the past related to authorizing and connecting to various game servers.

The first was trying to play Elder Scrolls Online--I couldn't ever connect to the game's servers and actually play the game. I don't have a ton of information about this issue--I was just stuck on a screen that said requesting character load indefinitely. I went back and forth and exchanged dozens of emails with their support staff about this.
The second has been an ongoing issue with Blizzard legacy game launchers--specifically Starcraft and Warcraft III. The way the process works is you download the launcher from Blizzard's website, then Blizzard verifies your download is valid through the launcher somehow. My computer fails this verification (obviously my keys are valid otherwise I wouldn't bother posting about this) and Blizzard support has essentially shrugged its shoulders.
The final issue is with League of Legends--for some reason I can log into the launcher fine but when it comes time to actually play a game the connection fails. If you're at all familiar with the game, after champ select I get an error message that says 'unable to connect to the server, this may be a problem caused by a firewall.' This has only been a problem the last couple of days. I was able to play on Friday just fine, but Saturday through today I have been totally unable to play.

Attempted fixes: I've tried launching in Selective Startup, tried turning off Windows Firewall, tried disabling IP Helper, run virus scans, tried running all of these programs as an administrator, tried a DNS flush/ done a refresh/renew on my IP, unchecked the box in internet options that says 'automatically detect settings,' etc. These are not the only games I play and these problems have manifested over the past ~6 or so months. Most everything else seems to be functioning fine. I have kept the same ISP throughout this time. Like I said I've gone back and forth with tech support for a few of these issues with no luck. My uneducated gut feeling is that it's a proxy issue? or something? These might not even be 3 related issues but they seem to be quite similar in nature--in all of them I could connect to a sort of 'main' server just fine but once it tried to branch out into a session based thing I ran into issues.

Recent changes: No
--

Operating system: Windows 8.1

System specs: This is a custom built computer. 8 gigs of RAM, i5-3570K processor, Gtx 670, etc. If other specs are needed I'll find them but I am not convinced this is super relevant.

My ISP is Utah Broadband, I'm using a Netgear n3 WNR2000 v3 router. These problems persist even when I try to bypass the router.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Edit--my ISP said a public IP address would fix my problem but they want to charge for it. Isn't this something that most places provide for free? Anyone have any input on whether this would actually help? It's just five bucks a month but I'm not convinced it would even be worth the pain in the rear end.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What kind of antivirus/firewall software are you using if any?

You could post a HJT log too:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hijackthis/

Sharzak posted:

My ISP is Utah Broadband, I'm using a Netgear n3 WNR2000 v3 router. These problems persist even when I try to bypass the router.

What kind of modem are you using?

Sharzak posted:

Edit--my ISP said a public IP address would fix my problem but they want to charge for it. Isn't this something that most places provide for free? Anyone have any input on whether this would actually help? It's just five bucks a month but I'm not convinced it would even be worth the pain in the rear end.

Every user has a public IP address. Maybe they meant a static IP that never changes (this can cost extra $). I don't think that is your issue anyway.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The only thing I see that could be a modem is a little black box that has cables for POE and LAN. I think this is a radio antenna actually. It runs to a coax cable in the wall which I think goes to something on the roof. I bought a new router today for an unrelated issue and I am having the same connection problems to League etc.

I began using MalwareBytes but only after this problem manifested, to see if there was a malware issue on the computer. It came up negative. Other than that it's just standard Windows Firewall.

I have TraceRT logs and a network analysis I can post but I have heard that you shouldn't post that type of thing on a public forum.

Here is a HiJack this log--

code:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 12:11:25 AM, on 8/13/2014
Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.02.1008)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v11.0 (11.00.9600.17126)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Update Core\NvBackend.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Pando Networks\Media Booster\PMB.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe
C:\Users\Jamon\AppData\Local\Program Files\Amazon\MP3 Downloader\AmazonMP3DownloaderHelper.exe
C:\Users\Jamon\AppData\Local\Programs\Google\MusicManager\MusicManager.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloudServices.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ApplePhotoStreams.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\APSDaemon.exe
C:\Users\Jamon\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
E:\Metadata and Drivers\AnkerMonEx.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuschd2.exe
E:\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\syswow64\wwahost.exe
E:\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896[/url]
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = [url]www.google.com[/url]
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141[/url]
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896[/url]
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896[/url]
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141[/url]
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = 
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = 
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = 
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe,
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EsternTimesMouseExRun] "E:\Metadata and Drivers\AnkerMonEx.exe" -runauto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APSDaemon] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "E:\Itunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogMeIn Hamachi Ui] "C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn Hamachi\hamachi-2-ui.exe" --auto-start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EADM] "E:\Origin\Origin.exe" -AutoStart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Pando Media Booster] C:\Program Files (x86)\Pando Networks\Media Booster\PMB.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [GoogleDriveSync] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe" /autostart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AmazonMP3DownloaderHelper] C:\Users\Jamon\AppData\Local\Program Files\Amazon\MP3 Downloader\AmazonMP3DownloaderHelper.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Jamon\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MusicManager] "C:\Users\Jamon\AppData\Local\Programs\Google\MusicManager\MusicManager.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [GoogleChromeAutoLaunch_B9DFB73AD31AE08D7297BFD7338B70E0] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --no-startup-window
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iCloudServices] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloudServices.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ApplePhotoStreams] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ApplePhotoStreams.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: Dropbox.lnk = Jamon\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1004 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1003 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.clonewarsadventures.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.freerealms.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.soe.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.sony.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{27D07FEE-A587-4BFF-BE60-092F86B8B857}: NameServer = 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{27D07FEE-A587-4BFF-BE60-092F86B8B857}: NameServer = 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4
O18 - Protocol: wlpg - {E43EF6CD-A37A-4A9B-9E6F-83F89B8E6324} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler.dll
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: BitRaider Mini-Support Service (BRSptSvc) - BitRaider, LLC - C:\ProgramData\BitRaider\BRSptSvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: LogMeIn Hamachi Tunneling Engine (Hamachi2Svc) - LogMeIn Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn Hamachi\hamachi-2.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ieetwcollectorres.dll,-1000 (IEEtwCollectorService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEEtwCollector.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LMIGuardianSvc - LogMeIn, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn Hamachi\LMIGuardianSvc.exe
O23 - Service: MBAMScheduler - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpAsDesc.dll,-320 (WdNisSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Defender\NisSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpAsDesc.dll,-310 (WinDefend) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 10258 bytes

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 13, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Do you use Pando Media Booster? That one has a bad reputation and many seem to recommend uninstalling it as it's caused latency issues with others.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Pando Networks\Media Booster\PMB.exe

The same maybe for C:\ProgramData\BitRaider\BRSptSvc.exe too. I'd recommend getting rid of them if you don't need them.

Also, I'd recommend uninstalling Java unless you absolutely need it for something (big security hole).

Sharzak posted:

I have TraceRT logs and a network analysis I can post but I have heard that you shouldn't post that type of thing on a public forum.

You could post a log doing ping 4.2.2.2 from a cmd prompt and show what kind of times you're getting or also results from a http://www.speedtest.net test.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The static IP actually fixed my issues! At least with Blizzard and League of Legends. Not going to bother with ESO.

• Locked thread