Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bunleigh posted:

This story is making me sick to my stomach. I can't believe what I'm seeing and reading.
Really? Because this poo poo happens all the goddamn time. Maybe one in a hundred incidents get blown up into a national media event due to a combination of truly incompetent policing, photogenic rioting, and a slow news day. 'Cop Shoots Black Teen' should just be a permanent headline. They could save a lot of reporter time by just writing a form story and changing the names and location once a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Obdicut posted:

Yeah, they're used extensively for fire-fighting stuff but I also haven't seen a law enforcement one before.
They issued one for the Bundy Ranch shenanigans back in April for pretty much the same reasons. Too much traffic, too many armed morons on the ground.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Wait, there was a tank there? Not like a MRAP but an actual M1A1?
No, there wasn't a tank.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Every single borderline case on my Facebook feed is all about this no-fly zone right now. They just drink this poo poo down, no need to verify. I haven't seen commentary like this since Hurricane Katrina.

I mean Jesus Christ...
It's kind of funny that the reaction to that NOTAM has been so similar to FreeP et al having a black helicopters meltdown about the Bundy Ranch NOTAM.

If you want to read all about DHS's secret plan to bomb/gas/napalm a bunch of gun nuts just Google "NOTAM 4/1687"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Chinatown posted:

I would love for someone to fly a drone around the scene.

Then again that sounds like a great way to get shot.
It'd be a great way to get federally skullfucked by the FAA if they got caught.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

Even if, for some reason, you wanted to defend the actions of Ferguson police, you have the problem that by policing standards they are handling things wrong and going with over the top militarism before there was cause for it
http://www.citylab.com/crime/2014/08/the-siege-in-ferguson/375977/

quote:

Federal Aviation Administration instituted a no-fly zone over Ferguson through Aug. 18, meaning that police helicopters can operate in the area, but media helicopters cannot.

Someone should point out to these people that that this is officially the 2,599th "No Fly Zone" issued by the FAA in 2014. The online media reporting on this has essentially gone full Freep on that one particular total non-issue instead of anything else. It's bizarre.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Probably they are using it as an example of how over-the-top the response of the Fergeson police has been, along with the vehicles and equipment. Most people aren't familiar with police being able to declare no-fly zones in places they've already been hostile to the media. I know I wasn't, and it's not like I'm new to "gently caress the Police" threads.
The Ferguson Police didn't declare anything. The St Louis County Police requested from the FAA a 3nm x 3000' area in which they could operate their aircraft without having to worry about a bunch of media helicopters in the way and the FAA chose to comply with the request. Nobody is restricted from spending all day every day at 3001'.

I can't remember if it was in this thread or the ACAB one but I pointed out earlier that this exact same thing happened during the Bundy Ranch shenanigans and was apparently ignored by everyone outside the Inforwars sphere.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Magres posted:

Like that's walking distance if you do it with a friend and have a couple hours to blow. Especially in a city where the walk is actually interesting.
You might be the only person in America who considers 10 miles "walking distance."

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its time to leave, whiteboy. This ain't your time to speak. This is your time to listen.
Sometimes it's really hard to tell in this kind of thread whether people are trolling or just legitimately stupid.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Your Sledgehammer posted:

What's wrong with what you quoted, exactly? Makes perfect sense to me.
It isn't like noted goon reporter/future murder victim Neo Duckberg slapped the mic out of Al Sharpton's hand. He's attending a protest against police abuse, which last time I checked, is a thing people are allowed to do and not a reason to randomly assault them in the street.

I'm not up on my Tumblr though so maybe protests are cultural appropriation now.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

New Division posted:

Yeah it's ultimately self-defeating and foolish, but what do you expect. Anger is rarely rational.
And there's always a contingent of assholes who just show up to start poo poo.

Edit: They're called the cops!

Edit #2:

Nonsense posted:

Agreed they're called the St. Louis County Police.
Haha gently caress you Nonsense.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

:phone: Yes hello?
:phoneb: Hi '16, this is Kander. How are you?
Any bets on which side he'll take? Are Missouri Dems actually worth a poo poo?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Quoting for posterity. I'm unsure whether, upon reflection, you'll be able to understand how patronizing your attitude comes off.

Let us make these facts clear: This is about race. This is not about police brutality. This is not about enfranchisement. This is not about business. This is not about class struggle and solidarity. This is an issue of race and institutional racism.
Is your position that white people should not protest against racism?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nonsense posted:

A lot of people actively choose not to give a gently caress about what's happening in their community
How short was his skirt?

Most people don't like dog poo poo on their rugs and generally don't expect to get jumped by their own neighbors.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

My position is that the protestors don't need a white knight to speak for them. The police action already speaks that attitude loudly enough.
A "White Knight"? Guy wasn't expounding on the White Man's Burden or even giving his opinion on the situation. He attended a anti-racism protest and was occasionally posting what he saw, no different than the twitter feeds everyone is quoting. He got assaulted and your response to that was "Shut up whiteboy."

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

And he never denied he was there previously to hand out his ideologically-tinged literature.
Can you quote where you're getting this from? Because that Maoism crack was obviously a joke.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Miltank posted:

the people who beat up their white neighbor were racists imo.
Black people can't technically be racist by the academic definition of the word.

They were bigots, or assholes, and definitely douchebags, but not racists.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

parthenocarpy posted:

any other links to this? site is getting hammered right now, can`t see any video
The text transcribes everything she said. The video is just of her saying it and a ~5 second clip of a censored out region out her window.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

A friend texted me a photo of a white, mid-20s kid handing out 'Revolutionary Marxist Party USA' lit. I asked him several times, directly, if it was him. I did not see any answer other than avoidance, therefore I presumed he was the one handing out the lit.
I saw a picture of a guy with some chips on Twitter and I'm going to assume it was you until you fax me your driver's license.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Have there been RICO charges filed against a police department before?
IIRC an entire circuit court in Miami got RICO'd back in the cocaine cowboy days.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Partly this, yeah. The county hates it because its bad press. They don't want to put their house in order. Hell, they only retreated tonight after Nixon barked in. Certainly some backroom dealing going on right now.
The county hates it because those cops are probably making like $40 an hour right now. And if they're anything like anywhere else every desk-riding fatass and management goober who still fits in his vest is on the street, a half mile back, asleep in a city car, making hella OT.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 14, 2014

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Cesar Cedeno posted:

They probably love this poo poo, why not. Making tons of money for a power-trip vacation where they can do pretty much anything and get away with it.
It's probably a tossup. Anyone with debts or alimony is probably happy as a clam, but washing CS out of your clothes loving sucks and nobody likes standing around in the sun with armor on.

Grondoth posted:

Do they have to pay for munitions, too?
Yeah somebody is going to have to fork over for all the gas grenades, but it'll be a pittance compared to the HR costs.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

If only he'd had a corgi instead.

No one can be mad at a corgi.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

on the left posted:

Collective punishment is cool and desirable when done to groups we don't like!
Anon's response to pretty much everything they don't like is to commit a bunch of totally unrelated federal crimes. Sometimes they actually target bad people, but their track record isn't great on that count. It's always funny when a month later a bunch of idiots post "WTF I got arrested!" on Reddit because they didn't bother obfuscating their identities when DDOSing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

hcreight posted:

How exactly did this guy get elected in the first place?
A local election in a town that size? He probably got his whole family to vote for him and that was enough.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

Probably libel, something something false accusations, something something invasion of privacy, something something interfering with a police investigation
If they actually hacked anything to get the info (Which they almost certainly did) there is a huge raft of federal crimes involved.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Magres posted:

There comes a point where you say gently caress it and appeal to moderates and your own base.
As if "moderates" and solid democrats aren't also heavily in favor of the cops jackbooting the gently caress out of black people.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Clearly Obama's anger translator, Eric Holder will take care of all this.
He can declare that the protests are a state secret and arrest anyone who reports on them.

Problem solved!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SirKibbles posted:

We have decided your movement needs a revolutionary push (look at some of the faces) lady on the left of stereotypical D&D revolutionary with glasses is gently caress the police lady.
Haha, gotta love the RCP. What a bunch of dorks.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

LogisticEarth posted:

I heard somewhere that the officer who shot Brown never actually called in the incident, or really delayed the call in? Is that true?
No. There was a supervisor on the scene in less than 5 minutes and EMS soon after that.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

A sane country would realize that we aren't in the late 1980s/early 1990s crack wars anymore
Our country is perfectly sane. It's sources of information are however totally skewed. Crime gets eyes on screens. There are now about a bazillion competing media organizations and they all love a good crime story. So we get everything from in-depth analyses of crime to TOP TEN FUCKIN SICK CRIMES but nobody gives a poo poo about reporting that nothing exciting happened anywhere today.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

The country's not sane, they want young black men to be suppressed at the cost of their rights.
loving over people who aren't like you is in fact totally sane and has generally been humanity's SOP since we decided to walk upright.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Cuntpunch posted:

But he was unarmed and, even if he was charging, the officer had an obligation to use nonlethal force.
Maybe a moral obligation, but not a legal one.

This is really all going to come down to the shot that killed Michael Brown. If he died of a contact range gunshot to the torso or a long range shot to the back will make all the difference in court.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the Zimmerman case officially quashed that. It's now completely legitimate to use lethal force on someone unarmed as long as you think that they can kill or cripple you with their bare hands or the ground under your feet.
It always has been. Zimmerman's case didn't set any precedents.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

While the precedent existed, it wasn't until the Trayvon Martin incident that the reality of it was officially endorsed in court: if you believe that an unarmed person is going to kill you with his bare hands, you can kill him. It was always specified that there had to be some kind of disparity in force (such as a large size and/or strength difference between the attacker and victim), but now all you need to do is claim to be in "fear for your life" and there's almost no way to quash it. We've reached the point where it's entirely conceivable that an unarmed person walking toward a police officer looking angry could probably be shot dead and the cop would get away with it.
This is all wrong. I suggest you do some research on American self defense law before you next decide to post a bunch of nonsense in such an authoritative tone.

NovemberMike posted:

or if someone that committed a felony is going to get away then lethal force is usually considered reasonable.
Not since Tennessee v. Garner.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 17, 2014

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

You're nitpicking. Yes, it isn't actually true for all felonies because the concept of a felony has expanded to things like tax evasion or stealing a car but it still holds true for what most people would think of as a felony (murder/rape/etc)
The original case was a burglary, which is something I think most people would recognize as a felony.

NovemberMike posted:

To be more accurate, if the officer reasonably believes that the suspect is an immediate threat of violence to the community, and the suspect is fleeing, then the officer can use lethal force to keep him from escaping.
The standard isn't "reasonable belief" it's probable cause. That's a pretty major difference.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

That's loving great. What does this have to do with a plain language explanation of a legal concept?
Just trying to be helpful. If we're actually going to discuss things that happened or may happen instead of hearsay, what racists post elsewhere, and law as learned from Lenny Briscoe it might at some point become important for people to actually know that there's a difference between "reasonable belief" and "probable cause to believe" and which is the standard in the US.

hcreight posted:

And he called out potential presidential candidates like Jeb Bush and Hillary for staying silent. MSNBC and CNN are covering it.
One thing you gotta love about Sharpton is that he's never afraid to call out everyone else.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

You're thinking of "reasonable suspicion", not "reasonable belief".
Actually I was paraphrasing you from the post that started this merry-go-round. It looks like I misunderstood your intent with that post though. Let's just agree that we're both righter than chitoryu12 and the thread can resume TVIV posting Al Sharpton and theorizing about city/county/state police conspiracies which is in general much more entertaining than us trying to out pedant each other.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Amos Moses posted:

I don't get the logic. I understand character assassination but are people stupid enough to fall for that? He was still unarmed when he was shot.. what does this picture change?
The facts don't matter. Lines have been drawn, idiots have picked teams, now it's time to yell about irrelevant bullshit.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Amos Moses posted:

Kind of. A situation got violent because people made bad decisions. The whole thing turned into a three ring circus. People chose to be lovely and it resulted in bad noise.
This is how the vast majority of homicides happen. Two assholes meet and escalate until one of them kills the other.

The public is generally unwilling to accept that though. They want the story to have a plot. A good guy and a bad guy. Therefor it becomes very important to people once they've picked a side that their guy be the good guy. Because if he isn't that means they supported the bad guy, and that makes them bad guys. So in the absence of conclusive facts they go to irrelevant character assassination because bad guys are always bad all the time and therefor whoever has the most bad guy pictures on Facebook must be the bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

fknlo posted:

I've never understood how when you admit to killing someone you aren't immediately taken into custody while the investigation takes place. I don't care if it's the most blatant case of self defense ever, until the investigation comes to this conclusion you should be in custody. Just having the shooter would have killed a lot of the tension in this and the Trayvon Martin incident.
Because outside of a national media spotlight the investigation can take a really, really long time and judges generally don't like to hear "We're not certain a crime has been committed but we'd still like to hold this individual without bail." Add in the fact that any defense lawyer worth his salt is going to start filing speedy trial motions by the end of the first week and you've got a recipe for fun times.

• Locked thread