Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
This is Kojima, he's at his best when the plot is dumb and batshit insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

I'm thinking with all the talk of separate realities and doors, Guillermo might be leading us into a Lovecraftian inter-dimensional alien beings.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It sounds like a conspiracy theorist rant, and that sort of character would be fun in a Silent Hill but I wouldn't trust his words as objective truth anymore than I would the words of the cult people in the other games.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I always hated how the cultists were, you know, real. I first thought they were all nutjobs that figured heavily into events but didn't actually know gently caress all about what was happening, so I thought it was kinda lame that the games gave them a measure of authority by understanding what's going on.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I always hated how the cultists were, you know, real. I first thought they were all nutjobs that figured heavily into events but didn't actually know gently caress all about what was happening, so I thought it was kinda lame that the games gave them a measure of authority by understanding what's going on.
I've always liked the idea that all the Alessa/Samael/God stuff was manifestation born from the cultists' fanatical collective belief in how the world was supposed to work, and they aren't any more real than Maria and other stuff SH created for James.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Forgall posted:

I've always liked the idea that all the Alessa/Samael/God stuff was manifestation born from the cultists' fanatical collective belief in how the world was supposed to work, and they aren't any more real than Maria and other stuff SH created for James.

This is basically the canonical explanation-it's why the cult's efforts tend to fail, and why different chapters/versions of the cult had conflicting beliefs. The cults are a threat because to some extent they've weaponized their beliefs and have tried to understand and exploit how the town works, but the truth is they're delusional, and every bit as much victims of Silent Hill's influence as everyone else in the game. (also, Homecoming's cult is terrible.)

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Yea I enjoy that no matter what the cult's plan it turns against them. I see it as a constant take on the folly of man messing with things he has no understanding of, and those things destroying him.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Not the shot I was looking for, but Kojima seems to have taken some inspiration from REC
This from P.T-

and this from REC

(spoilered for people who don't like creepy ghost ladies)

The old woman standing still in the corridor was the first thing that came to mind. Not that I'm complaining, REC is great.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Asema posted:

Yeah He moves his mouth all the time but if you watch him talk in the bathroom it's in sync and he stops moving his mouth when he finishes talking. It's him telling you it all

Video of this event.

Also here's a wiggling, talking, bloody paper bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVvmiWq7M1U

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Mama, a short film that Guillermo del Toro is adapted into a feature, looks an awful lot like P.T.

Cause I was curious where the image on the left in this picture came from.

And now I'm in a horror movie mood. Gonna start with Mama tonight, anyone else have recommendations for a scary movie?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Mama, a short film that Guillermo del Toro is adapted into a feature, looks an awful lot like P.T.

Cause I was curious where the image on the left in this picture came from.

And now I'm in a horror movie mood. Gonna start with Mama tonight, anyone else have recommendations for a scary movie?

Don't want the Mama feature length. It's not that good. The short was good though.

In Absentia is pretty good and sort of fits the PT mood.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

acksplode posted:

If you use R3 to peer past the bathroom door toward the sink, Lisa appears from inside and shuts it. Then the exit door opens.

No, it happens past that. I'll play through it again to try to pinpoint exactly when it occurs, but there's a hallway before "PRESS X TO RUIN PICTURE" where she gets me every time, for some reason. The radio is playing during this segment, and I'm pretty sure the bathroom is either shut or ajar. I can't remember if it's before or after I get the flashlight...

e: It might be before, because I seem to recall the lights being on when this happens?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

BlackFrost posted:

No, it happens past that. I'll play through it again to try to pinpoint exactly when it occurs, but there's a hallway before "PRESS X TO RUIN PICTURE" where she gets me every time, for some reason. The radio is playing during this segment, and I'm pretty sure the bathroom is either shut or ajar. I can't remember if it's before or after I get the flashlight...

e: It might be before, because I seem to recall the lights being on when this happens?

I believe that you have to die to her at least once to progress

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BlackFrost posted:

Oh poo poo, that part, yeah. The door has nothing to do with that one, I don't think. I got stuck at that part and then discovered you could press X on the picture, which then unlocked the door for me. I think maybe you also need to listen to the entire radio message, and some people have lucked out and just not gotten ghost-mugged while they were listening to it. Before I get jumped I usually hear LIsa right next to me, so I think I might be walking into her when that happens. Keep an ear out and try not to move to much is the only way I can suggest to try to avoid her.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I guess in a couple hours we'll get to watch the actress who plays Quiet in MGSV play PT: https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/502361061958221825 https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/502361177578426368

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

'Thank you for screaming' :allears:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Ularg posted:

I believe that you have to die to her at least once to progress

You don't. I deleted my save and had my gf play through and she never died or even looked at the ghost until the ending sequence with the clock ringing, somehow.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Harrow posted:

If it actually is a hint about the plot of Silent Hills and not just more P.T. wackiness, it might be more of a Lovecraftian kind of thing. Not little gray men aliens, but unknowable horrors from beyond the stars.
It's probably just referencing the UFO endings, guys.

Forgall posted:

One of the good things Homecoming did was going with this explanation.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Ugh, I tried again to get the ending, but still can't get it to trigger. I dunno what I'm doing wrong, it feels.

Following baby-giggles to get a phone to ring, based on unknown criteria, is so annoying. Like, it's repeatable enough to get the first baby-laugh, with moving like ten steps or whatever. I've got a microphone plugged in, too. But I only got the second one once, and then I moved when my controller was vibrating, so I guess I screwed that up? How is anybody supposed to get this to happen normally, blah.

Maybe I'll just watch it on youtube

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

So I noticed that the ESRB rating lists Suggestive Themes. Uh, what suggestive themes were there? Did they misinterpret some of ghost lady's creepy moans? It doesn't have to be sexual. Ghosts just fuckin' moan, man. It's what they do. :ghost:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I love the thought of Silent Hill done through Kojima's batshit insane filter, as long as we don't get three-hour cutscenes I'm cool with it.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

liquidypoo posted:

So I noticed that the ESRB rating lists Suggestive Themes. Uh, what suggestive themes were there? Did they misinterpret some of ghost lady's creepy moans? It doesn't have to be sexual. Ghosts just fuckin' moan, man. It's what they do. :ghost:

There are suggestions of murder but you never actually see anyone die.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Also bleeding crotch.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dreadwroth posted:

I love the thought of Silent Hill done through Kojima's batshit insane filter, as long as we don't get three-hour cutscenes I'm cool with it.
Del Toro is probably writing the game so I don't think that will happen.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Del Toro is probably writing the game so I don't think that will happen.

That's probably the weirdest thing about this team-up, given that del Toro has gone on record saying he hates cutscenes and Kojima is Kojima.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Both Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes are pretty low on cutscenes outside of their intros, and both feature codec conversations delivered while playing, so it's not really his thing any more.

It was hilarious to see Kojima talk about cutscenes like "Ugh stop doing this poo poo in games guys I think we're all tired of it now" though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

timeandtide posted:

Both Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes are pretty low on cutscenes outside of their intros, and both feature codec conversations delivered while playing, so it's not really his thing any more.

It was hilarious to see Kojima talk about cutscenes like "Ugh stop doing this poo poo in games guys I think we're all tired of it now" though.

Pretty sure that the cut-scenes in Ground Zero are shorter because Kiefer Sutherland's time is a lot more expensive than David Hayter's time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I guess now that he doesn't have to dig himself out of the narrative hole he made with MGS2 helps.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Pretty sure that the cut-scenes in Ground Zero are shorter because Kiefer Sutherland's time is a lot more expensive than David Hayter's time.

It's really getting tiring to hear Kojima's joke repeated like it's a behind-the-scenes production detail.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

liquidypoo posted:

So uh;

When the ghost lady appears behind you to eat you, you can hear the sound of a zipper going down and then eating motions that a lot of the neckbeard community states as "She eats your dick"

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I'm pretty sure it's more "she rips your dick off"

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Tortoiseontour figured out how to consistently get the second baby laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTTCfZe8Yc

I can confirm this works. (I'm @Konjuro)

This is straight-up conspiracy theory logic, but it works.

Maia
Aug 15, 2003

Sweet.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I have a screen of her standing in the hallway and her legs create a shadow all the way down to her feet on the floor.

:gonk:

Ohh. Return to innocence. Thanks for the info! (and I'm afraid of my hallways again)

For the record, the playthrough I watched was a chick who was terrified and I had a blast. We both screamed at the same time every time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hungry Computer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTTCfZe8Yc

I can confirm this works. (I'm @Konjuro)

This is straight-up conspiracy theory logic, but it works.
This is so absurd hahahaha. If it was any other developer, I wouldn't believe it, but it's Kojima so of course it works. Those are some crazy lengths to go to in order to figure out a consistent method to solving a video game puzzle.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

P.T. actually reminds me of the movie Cube in some ways: limited environments, horror through repetition, and the overwhelming fear that, as hosed up as it is, this place operates on some kind of logic, just not the kind humans are comfortable with*. And if you do start understanding it, is that a worthwhile trade? It's rare to see surreal horror done well in any medium, but I think this is the first time I've seen it work well in a game.

*Tes, they do eventually work out the pattern in Cube, but at first, progress seems utterly random and more prone to lethal punishment for unknown transgressions than 'Action A produces Response B'

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Hungry Computer posted:

This neogaf poster figured out a fast 100% guaranteed method to get all three laughs

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126115733&postcount=6415 posted:

So in summary to beat this 100% of the time all you need to do is:

1. Wait for bell to ring at midnight.
2. Pause the game (you dont have to but it makes it silent so that its easier for the mic to pick up the noise) Have mic on. Play this sound into the mic. Wait 10-15 seconds. GIGGLE
3. Walk 10 steps uninterrupted and stop. GIGGLE.
4. DO NOT MOVE, controller will rumble, wait till rumble stops and you hear a third GIGGLE
5. Telephone will ring, go to it and look at it.
6. Afterward, exit loop door.

That is all that needs to be done. You don't need to worry about spots, Lisa noises. Looking at objects. Color of light. Talking to the phone or talking in general.

The sound is maybe something one can replicate by voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5qbcRAXVk

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Dreadwroth posted:

They got Norman Reedus so you're gonna be looking at him long enough to validify the paycheck and all the facial mocap.

acksplode posted:

It's really getting tiring to hear Kojima's joke repeated like it's a behind-the-scenes production detail.

I didn't know he made a joke about it, but it's almost certainly not a joke.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Harrow posted:

If it actually is a hint about the plot of Silent Hills and not just more P.T. wackiness, it might be more of a Lovecraftian kind of thing. Not little gray men aliens, but unknowable horrors from beyond the stars.

The whole trailer is a send up to different elements of the series. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't more than a reference to something that happened in the games.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Maybe it's a clue to getting the UFO ending in the release game. Gotta find all of the Swedish radio signals! Or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Edit: Oh goddamnit

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 22, 2014

• Locked thread