Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I'm working on creating a relatively cheap list to start playing competitively now that I've played with friends enough. Is this an ok start? I suppose I could dump the A-wing and invest more in the B and Y, but again, I'm trying to keep the list cheap and easy just to get some in-store experience before spending every future paycheck on fancy lists.

Blue Squadron Pilot — B-Wing 22
Ship Total: 22

Poe Dameron — T-70 X-Wing 31
Veteran Instincts 1
R2-D2 4
Ship Total: 36

Gray Squadron Pilot — Y-Wing 20
Twin Laser Turret 6
Ship Total: 26

Prototype Pilot — A-Wing 17
Chardaan Refit -2
Ship Total: 15

Total: 99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Otisburg posted:

I was worried that the Ghost wouldn't fit in my foam with all the stressing itt but

:shrug:

Where do you get your foam? What do you cut it with? Thanks.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Triple JumpMaster is huge in Minneapolis (not my picture).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Played in the Campaign Against Cancer at FFG's headquarters in the Minneapolis suburbs. My first tournament. I ran a very boring ABX (Poe) Y list, just to feel comfortable. It/I didn't perform too well.

Match 1: brobots. Hey, I took one of their shields down! Lost 25-100.
Match 2: brobots. Killed IG88B as he killed my A and B. Took IG88C down to 1 hull as he killed my Y, leaving just a single hull Poe left. Poe T-rolls, and attacks from range 2, and whiffs. His bot hits, and he happily exclaims "my first win at a tournament!" Lost 75-100.
Match 3: Mist Hunter, Moldy Crow, and a TLT Y Wing. The first time I've played against someone that kept his ships in a formation. It was beautiful. He had an answer for everything I did. Lost 0-100.

Post lunch raffle: won a Revel Transport expansion!

For the afternoon, they organized us into pods based on morning results.

Match 4: imp aces Inquisitor, Omega Leader, Whisper. Somehow I flew Poe right into the middle of all 3 Tie's arcs and he blew up. Then my Y got a crit that removed the TLT. I'm bad at XWing. Lost 0-100.
Match 5: Ghost and Poe flown by a friendly 12ish year old girl. She really likes this game, and I hope she keep playing. As it was, this felt like the least fun game, because no one wants to win or lose to an excited kid like this. Taking down that Ghost takes forever! But she didn't d much except chase my A Wing around. A win 100-16.
Match 6: Boba and Dengar. My X Wing buddy has been flying this list against me for the past few weeks, and we basically trade wins. I just avoided shooting at Dengar from within his arc, and wore him down. This was also the first match where I actually managed to use my A Wing as a blocker! I also learned to run away and regroup during this match. Growth! Win 100-26.

Post tournament raffle: won a Tie Advanced expansion and a play mat signed by some of the game's developers.

I had a really great time at this thing. This thread has been a great resource to read. Now I just need to actually put all of that info to use.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I'm still very new to the game, and have mostly rebel expansions at this point. Last night I played in a small tournament with some special rules, and I used Whisper for the first time. She was really fun to play, and it made me want to try out a Rebel Ace. As far as maneuverability is concerned, it really seems like the A Wings are the best on the Rebel side. Is something like this viable at all, or should I focus more on the X Wing and T70 Aces like Poe and that one that can T-Roll as a white maneuver?

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...20and%20Miranda

My thoughts are that they're all PS8, so yeah they'll be susceptible to higher PS aces, but Jake's about as maneuverable as a Poe with BB8, Tycho can Rage to get a focus and a pseudo-TL, and Miranda provides consistent output via TLT. Plus she can regen a shield once per round as needed with her ability, likely missing, triggering Gunner, and rolling again. But is it dumb to invest 57 points into A wings?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Thanks for the feedback. I'll think about switching out one of the As for a couple of lower cost As or Z95s. Also, I think we're on the same page with Miranda + Gunner, I just typed it up poorly. What I meant was:
  1. TLT #1 (hit or miss)
  2. Miranda'a ability to regen a shield
  3. TLT #2 with 1 fewer red (likely miss)
  4. If miss > Trigger Gunner
  5. TLT #2 again
My wife's name is Miranda, so I'm (foolishly?) trying to come up with a list that uses Miranda Doni. Are there any ships she works well with?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

I think HLC Dash is too easy to donut hole unless you put PtL+EngineUpgrade+Kanan on there, at least imo. Unfortunately, that precludes using the PtL Phantom-esque Corran... which is why I don't run Corran with Dash anymore, but again that's my personal play style.

Do you still run Corran with a different wingman? Or Dash with someone else? Curious because I recently got both of these expansions, but haven't really done much with them.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

I run Dash with someone else. Lately, I've been doing different versions of Ghost. Haven't settled on one I like the most, yet, but kinda leaning towards chopper.

e: the best Dash build right now, imo, is: Ptl+Outrider+HLC+Kanan+EngineUp

Why Kanan? Does Dash do a lot of KTurns? (Again, I've never flown him - but I'm interested in doing so)

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is fantastic. Why isn't there an FFG version for those without access to 3D printers? :negative:

You should check to see if your local libraries have 3D Printers. My county has 2 libraries with them, and they even have Adult Ed classes for how to use the software.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Strobe posted:

Current TTS league interest:

Myself
General Battuta
ConfusedUs
Finster Dexter
ro5s
Chemmy
Aramoro
The Gate

That's eight, which I consider the bare minimum for a weekly league. Anybody else want in? I'll accept new entries until the end of Friday (CDT).

I'll do this.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

KO Derf posted:

Happy Star Wars Day everyone!

Anyone know of some good sales? I see GOG is having their usual, plus they just added Shadows of the Empire.

Applied Perspective makes some nice acrylic pieces. Their xwing stuff is 10 - 25% off: http://www.appliedperspective.com/acrylic/product-category/x-wing/

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I friend and I played a game in TTS last night, and it was pretty clunky. Somehow one of us deleted the button to enable/disable the helpers for obstacle and ship placement, so they were stuck ON all match. We both had issues where our movement dials would get out of sync somehow, requiring us to remove the ships from the board and redo the "storedial" command. At one point I tried to barrel roll left forward, but forgot the command, so I just used a template. Well you have to unlock the ship to do that. When I went to delete the template, I accidentally deleted the ship too. I was able to undo that but...Control-Z to rewind time seems to play havoc on the Mac client, so watch out if you are on a Mac I guess.

So good luck to everyone in the league. It may be a bit bumpy when you're playing me.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
The worst crit.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Eimi posted:

I like that they added a new version of Poe, giving him a reason to use BB-8 while still leaving good old regen Poe on the table. Rey's ability is cool because giving large ships reasons to care about arcs is cool. In general it looks good, but I am salty as gently caress about Jessika Pava being PS 3. Salty. As. gently caress. :argh:

Also I haven't found any good deals on a Rebel Transport or Imperial Raider today. :negative:

I have an unopened Transport. What's a good deal?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
SA TTS X-Wing Week 1: ZenMastaT vs canyonero

Zen won 100-74. We were pretty evenly matched, and it came down to a 1 hull Miranda not regenerating shields fast enough to outlast a 1hull Boba. On the bright side, my first attempt with bombs accounted for 5 damage. I really need to learn to keep Dash on the edges though.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

I don't fly Lone Wolf Dash at all, but with PtL Dash he wants to be away from the edge when it makes sense, as that really limits his movement options. Why does Lone Wolf dash want to hug the edges as opposed to exploiting the rocks? I always try really hard for a turn 0 rock placement I can exploit with Dash, so I don't really use the edges.

I guess that makes even more sense. This might be why Dash blew up before doing much of anything.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Lots of pretty ones on Etsy. These are my favorite https://www.etsy.com/listing/271560611/acrylic-squad-tokens-set-x-wing?ref=shop_home_feat_4

canyonero fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 15, 2016

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I was looking over the missions that come with the Tantive IV the other day. They are progression based, and you upgrade your squad along the way if I remember correctly. Kind of wish some of my Xwing buddies were into scenarios rather than just competitive play.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Looks like I'm playing you. My name is the same on Steam, you can find me in the group.

No, somehow there's a canyonero and canyoneer on this forum, and we have too many similar interests since I see him in many threads I lurk in. Anyway I sent you a friend req on Steam.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Canyonero and I just had a ridiculous 2 hour game. Wedge and Kyle got pasted real early then I spend one and a half hours chasing Jake with 4 B-wings.

This happened.

Then I lost another to, I think, a rock. So many turns where it was "Range 3 with Tractor to get him into Range 1-2 of the other guys" and then Tractor flubbing. I hate Jake. But I finally beat him with a lucky Range 1 shot.

Admiral Joeslop v Canyonero: Admiral Joeslop wins 100-50. TTS is both the perfect and worst venue for learning ships you've never flown before. Wow that HWK dial is gross.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Strobe posted:

Chemmy versus canyonero

Sent you a steam friend request Chemmy.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Chemmy and I are playing our league match.

Server: SA xwings
pass: lljk

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
It was my first time running that list, and I can see why it's good against Tie aces. I would imagine it's way less great against triple JumpMasters, but no one seems to be running straight triple jumps anymore in my area. So I'll give this a go a a store event this weekend and see how I can gently caress it up.

Edit: Unrelated, I was thinking about starting to play WoW against recently but got sucked into this much healthier gaming habit. Thank you goons.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
It's interesting that the Fang comes with 6 pilots instead of the usual 4. Also what is a "mobile firing arc"?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/x-wingtm-2016-regional-championship-locations/

Fargo wraps up this exciting regional season.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Pretty certain we're going to see the release of Imperial Veterans on June 30th in the US. I play at FFG's Game Center in the Minneapolis suburbs. They have been doing Midnight Tournaments for the last few releases, and they just posted that they are hosting another Midnight Tournament on June 29th. In the past these have gone until midnight, where they put the new ships on sale at 12:01. Here's hoping anyway.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Canyonero v Aramoro happening now. Host is SA xwings, password is lljk

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...amed%20Squadron

Gets you Nera with Biggs and Horton, and gives Horton Draw Their Fire to keep Biggs up a little longer. Probably dumb.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Eimi posted:

I took Poe/Red Ace/Biggs and managed to win! :toot: Only a 10 person tourney but my first win so that was pretty fun.

Congrats! What was your Red Ace build? Did you wind up going with VI or Lone Wolf on Poe?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I ran a Biggs Ghost list for the first time this past weekend and really enjoyed how annoying Biggs is. I beat that Dengar/Manaroo list that's been going around for a couple weeks now, and would have tabled a Palp Aces list had we not gone to time.

List: https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...%20Ezra%20Biggs

I had a hard time using Tactical Jammer reliably. The T65's dial and a lack of a boost (and my generally sub-par piloting) really made it hard to keep the Ghost between an enemy and Biggs. On the other hand, Kanan's pilot ability being range 1-2 only made it easier for me to just get in there and not worry too much about having Biggs at range 3 of the attacker. I still wonder if Tac Jammer is a trap.

Any general Biggs tips or list suggestions would be great.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I ran Calen Wong's Ghost and Biggs list from the Evergreen Tabletop Expo last night at FFG's Imperial Vets release, finished 3-1, and got a Biggs alt-art card for finishing 11th. X-Wing is a cool game.

What's everyone's strategy with the new colored bases? Manaroo gets blue, Wedge gets orange, but after that I'm at a loss. These seem like really good $8 investments.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah, 4 small, 1 large, and matching colored pegs. Of course the Ghost's custom stand/peg isn't included, and I'm not sure how I feel about it clashing like that.

I saw some people spray painted their Ghost base and stand, and the extra thickness provided by the paint helped keep it from toppling so often.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Ghost with TLT and FCS and a docked Phantom gets the TLT/FCS general nerf, but the clarification that the post combat turret gets to use both TLT attacks. Probably a net nerf, but not too bad I would guess.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
To be clear, PtL is actions in your action bar, which is why you can't Gonk twice in a turn (or round????).

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Came in second at a store tournament with my trusty Inquisitor, Decimator list today. Lost in the final to a Kanan ghost with Biggs.

I hate Biggs so much.

Did his Kanan have FCS and TLT still, or did he swap out for Dorsal and Accuracy Corrector or something?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Strobe, is there a preferred way that we send you our lists and game results? I'm just trying to think of ways to make your life easier. Specific PM formatting, Steam messages, etc.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Early November up here is usually in the 40s or 50s, though someone will be happy to tell you about the 3 foot snow storm on Halloween back in the 1990s. Anyway, weather shouldn't be the thing to dissuade anyone from coming to Worlds (I wasn't even born here so I don't think I'm too biased). That being said, I got the throttled error as well, so I may not be attending regardless!

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I got into Day 1A. PayPal sure is easy when it chooses to work.

Day 1B of X-Wing wasn't full until like 8 minutes after reg opened. Maybe try Armada 1B when signups are up for tomorrow's wave (if that doesn't conflict with your X-Wing day).

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Why is the text on the card and the WIKI different from the text on YASB for Reinforced Deflectors?

Card and Wiki: After you suffer 3 or more damage from an attack, recover 1 shield (up to your shield value).

YASB: After defending, if you suffered a combination of 3 or more damage and critical damage during the attack, recover 1 shield (up to your shield value).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Since winning the Biggs alt art card, I never want a list without him in it. Does this list even work?

Biggs focuses to focus, Kyle passes him a focus which Jan turns to an evade. Kyle takes a few uncanceled crits through the game to keep Biggs up longer.
Keyan stays stressed and is always throwing 4 red dice with his built in focus.
Kyle TLTs all day.

Question about Keyan's ability - can you "use" his ability even when you don't roll any focuses in order to shed the stress? Similar to reacquiring a TL on the same target with the TIE/v1 title?

canyonero fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 14, 2016

• Locked thread