Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

The D.A.S.H. system:

Demonstrate value
Assert dominance
Secure intimacy
Heavy Laser Cannons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

So throw the slicer on low PS ships to get to the aces. Might see a race to the bottom then to avoid that? The return of PS1 ships?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

New ships, gently caress yes. Cool looking ships? Fucker yes.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Honestly, they should just release a crapload of ships that create there or four new meta play styles so that way every couple months it isn't the same poo poo i see on a table.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I see the point of the article - honestly there just be cards that guarantee re-rolls rather than automatic hits. I love Predator, Target Locks, and Lonewolf because there's chances of getting crits in there and a chance to avoid damage with Lonewolf.

If anything, I'd like to see cards that increase the amount of red dice, but limit damage. Roll 5 dice, keep three of the damages, etc. same can go for green dice as well.

The game has a lot of the dice roll excitement - but start adding in definite results and it takes away part of the experience.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine regarding what sort of changes we would make to X-Wing that would make it better, etc and something popped into my mind:

Determination is a poo poo card. You're hoping it'll protect you from a critical hit that may be of the Pilot variety. It's so rare that it's useless.

But what if all damage that got through a shield resulted in face-up damage cards, regardless of the die result being a hit or a crit? Well now Determinaton seems a bit more important.

It's something we try out in a casual game - once shields are gone, all damage cards are dealt face up. It'll make games quicker and impose challenges of flying around busted-up ships trying to murder each other.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Allow me to expand a little bit more on my proposed rules:

A ship's attack and agility rating cannot be exceeded. The amount of dice can increase, but it'll never exceed its natural stats.

For example: X-Wing has 3 ATK and 2 AGL. The most damage it will do is 3, the most evades it'll have is 2. Against TIE Fighters in a group, the X-Wing has its shields but isn't maneuverable. It'll have to use its jousting firepower along with its astromech to stay alive.

Astromechs for X, Y, and E-Wings are specialized in either boosting speed, maneuverability, targeting, etc. an example would be an R2 unit for the X-Wing that gives the fighter the ability to barrel roll or perform K-turns at different speeds.

Also, thinking about making stress more of a ship factor rather than a pilot issue. When rolling attack dice, we have hits and crits, which will both deal face up damage cards, but crits will add stress to the ship.

That's the gist of what I had talked about to my buddy. There's obviously going to have to be a re-spec of cost of upgrades and ships to make it even, but a playtest is something I'm going to aim for sometime this week or next.

Obviously these changes might make the games quicker and more vicious. That's space combat - it's supposed to be brutal. Plus quicker games = more games to play!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Yeah admittedly my thoughts aren't perfect - I'm hoping to keep tinkering with it.

To get around tankier ships that can keep evades and such, there would modifications that can increase AGL or ATK, etc.

I also thought about how a ship that is facing away from its attacker (being chased with an enemy on your six) could possibly reduce your evade possibility.

My first initial playtest is going to be just X-Wings and TIEs and work from there.

It'll probably be terrible but I've seen worse.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I think if green dice were done away entirely, and just allowed evade tokens to be used, attack dice modifiers would have to be looked at I think. I like the idea of it tho, deciding whether to use your tokens strategically during certain attacks, etc.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Archenteron posted:

League night tonight
:getin:

Sun's out wing's up.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I casually played a Wedge/Biggs/Etahn list against a Deci Palp/Mara with PTL Soontir and an Academy TIE.

Soontir actually died first, with Etahns ability dumping crits on him, but some bad dice rolls I lost Wedge and Biggs, leaving Etahn to handle the Deci and Academy TIE. Got the Deci within 1 HP and also the TIE down to 2 HP before Etahn got some blank dice rolls.

Had fun with the list and it was the second time I flew it - I don't think I'd ever use it competitively against others.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Four TIE Fighters and two X-Wings with mods is good fun for newbies. The experienced teacher plays the evil TIE swarm of generics, while the glorious newbie is fielding two of the coolest pilots ever, Wedge and Luke.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Just wrapped up a 4-Week league at my FLGS and came in 3rd with a record of 4-4. Highlight of the league was being the sole loss for the eventual winner. He flew Corran, Tarn, and Hobbie vs my Soontir, Glaive Defender and Mauler Mithel. The league was a draft, you picked your side and drafted your pilots. Pilots that were killed were out of the league so you'd see people hanging on to some pilots to deny or trade, and of course some crazy lists.

Rankings was done by wins and MoV, I was 6pts from 2nd! Prize for me was acrylic stress tokens, top two got Corran Horn alt-art cards and the winner got the challenge coin. It was overall a blast, my best list was 2 Glaives and a Baron TAP of all things.

As a break to cool things off, I'm going to run a Heroes of Aturi Cluster campaign - just dropped off the print order at the Staples store where the old man printer guy was certainly not impressed with what he was going to use his skills for on the printer.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Panzeh posted:

Heaver just lost to triple jumpmasters. Only guy at the tournament running them.

Uses r4 agro to get a TL out of a focus for 2nd-round shooting and IA to do a lot of blocking.

Was it the Marcel guy? He plays at one of the game stores I play. He's brutually good and fully endorsed using triple jumps for winning. He's also done double Ghosts with success too.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

So there's a tournament next month at my FLGS that will be 2v2, 150 points for each side. My buddy and I are seriously considering rolling with 6 Blue Squadron T-70s. With IA that's 42 hit points to chew through on top of a 3 dice attack.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

BuffaloChicken posted:

Sure. Cool chill gamers only, bad sportsmen go in the furnace.

I'm excited for an Aturi campaign day soon - took advantage of some office equipment to print, bind, and laminate the materials.

The terrain is printed on decal paper, then stuck to manila envelope cardstock and cut out. This is the one thing I'm not happy with - when you get to the base terrain, with multiple components and turrets stacked up, things are prone to sliding. Any suggestions? I was thinking something with thin magnetic sheeting and neodymium magnets, but I'm not sure.

And, as the final touch, found this hardcase in Staples. Fits all the components perfectly - including terrain, the campaign book, upgrade cards, dry-erase markers for tracking XP, dice, etc.

Really looking forward to playing! I've done a few missions and they were all great, so doing the campaign through proper should be a blast.

I'm legit jealous of your setup, getups, and printups. I love HotAC and a buddy and I have been having a blast with it.

I see that you said you fold up your mat? That can create dimples or folds that can be a nuisance. I grabbed a document tube off of Amazon for 15 bucks - it has a shoulder strap for easier carrying. Roll up the mat and store it that way so it can last longer!

Also add me to wanting to stay at X-Wing cabin.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I don't get why tournaments don't just create or use the mission scenarios for gameplay. Have all matches randomly chose a scenario and see who can actually juggle the ability to fly and manage objectives.

Yeah I'm not a fan of straight up 100v100 who wants to fight.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Jeet Chiss. Was it from 12 dice or extra damage cards?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I got into the game between Wave 7 and 8 last year around January. I paced myself by limiting myself to buying either two small ships a month or one large a month. That allowed me to get caught up as I learned the ropes.

Then some sales happened and oh god my wallet.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

K-2SO ability: any enemy ship at range 1-2 you can remove their stress token to target lock it for a friendly ship at range 1-2

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I'm more interested in what upgrade cards bring with those Wave XI ships because honestly I'm starting to get ship fatigue. I don't play a lot, but enough where I like to get a ship every now and then - I'm not much of a meta player either, I never got the Palp card and I never did swarms.

All these extra ships are just taking up space. I don't think I've ever flown my TIE Advanced ever, and have never flown my Shuttle, Slave 1, Outrider, or Millennium Falcon. I did fly my U-Wing twice because it's fun as hell.

So basically I'd like to see more of the ships we have, but different paint schemes, pilots, upgrades. Give us 181st TIE packs, Blue Squadron X-Wings, and some upgrades that can synergize with the old upgrade cards and pilots.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Part of me wishes that the HWK should have been either a big base ship or at least had better stats because support ships should always be a thing.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Last night at my FLGS we just randomly decided to put two mats together and do a five person free for all. We put out 15 obstacles and used a 100 point list. It was a fun madness type of game and we decided the next time we do it, it'll be kept to 50 points on one mat.

It did allow me to try out trip 70s tho:

S-Foils (100)

Nien Nunb (40) - T-70 X-Wing
Push The Limit (3), R2-D2 (4), Pattern Analyzer (2), Vectored Thrusters (2)

"Snap" Wexley (33) - T-70 X-Wing
Adaptability (0), R2 Astromech (1), Pattern Analyzer (2), Vectored Thrusters (2)

Blue Squadron Novice (27) - T-70 X-Wing
BB-8 (2), Primed Thrusters (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

U-Wing should have been a small ship base, no torpedo slots but can take three crew and have side arcs for door gunners.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It might be in their contract that they have to have "X product from Y movie released by Z date" or something. I doubt Disney gives a poo poo beyond "Is this making us enough money?"

"You're telling me people are playing small versions of these movie ships and having tournaments? And there's dice and cards? These people are how old?"
- A Disney exec, probably

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Holybat posted:

I totally agree but it's so rough to give up the Tallon Rolls from the T-70s :(

This is why I run Pattern Analyszers on my T-70s so I can do those sweet T-Rolls with actions. I started flying a trip T-70 list but haven't gotten too much action with it, but it feels fun.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Only way to make T-65 X-Wings better is either awesome new pilots with repositioning special abilities or R2 units that can help them more.

But there's a new Star Wars this year so we will probably see more T-70s but definitely New A-Wings and Interceptors.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

FLGS is having a 77-point, New Hope-themed tournament on Sunday where you can only bring ships and pilots from A New Hope. Since it's not huge or anything and the group is typically fun, I decided to use ships I haven't used in a very long time:

Gamestorm 40th (77)

"Dutch" Vander (27) - Y-Wing
Plasma Torpedoes (3), R2 Astromech (1), Guidance Chips (0)

Garven Dreis (28) - X-Wing
BB-8 (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Rookie Pilot (22) - X-Wing
R2 Astromech (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Basically the X-Wings fly cover for Dutch while he passes TLs and Garven tosses out focuses. I'm not going for wins, just going for fun and basically the guaranteed 40th anniversary loot along with previous tournament loot to boot.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

The internet losing their minds over the Jumpmaster continues to amuse me.

I was listening to the Mynock Squadron podcast and they brought up Jumpmasters. They made a point that for its cost, they're pretty good. Despite multiple changes to the upgrades people use with it, it's still seen in tourneys and top lists. The dial is good, it has a lot of upgrade options, and the contracted scouts get EPTs. Not even Rebel Y-Wing pilots got those unless you put the astromech droid on it - and I believe that's a unique one to boot.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I have this urge to try and make relatively good or fun T70 lists. Not sure how this would be but I'd fly Jess and Ello together with Snap being a flanker. He goal is to utilize the T-Rolls to make a crazy killyramid with Jess hopefully getting in some hurt with the plasma torpedoes.

Trip T70s (100)

Ello Asty (35) - T-70 X-Wing
Swarm Tactics (2), R2 Astromech (1), Vectored Thrusters (2)

"Snap" Wexley (34) - T-70 X-Wing
Push The Limit (3), R2 Astromech (1), Vectored Thrusters (2)

Jess Pava (31) - T-70 X-Wing
Plasma Torpedoes (3), BB-8 (2), Primed Thrusters (1), Guidance Chips (0)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Thanks for the input! A buddy and I are playing a few games together this Friday and I'm looking to test some.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Honestly it's going to take some astromech pack to help the T-65s. Generic but properly costed units that give barrel rolls, boosts, or certain green maneuvers.

Nah I bet there will be a T-85 X-Wing in TLJ and then there will be a condition card that requires a squad list to have a T-65, T-70, and T-85 with a ship in arc of all 3 for a super move.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Make Sabine a two-crew card and that Cluster Mines die cannot be modified in any way. Or make bombs an attack, not an action.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I want a shield token that works on ships like the reinforce token. It's obviously in-universe when Red Leader says to switch shields to double-front, so make it an upgrade card. It should only work if you have shields remaining, tho.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Y-Wings are fun and I had a blast flying Dutch at a OT-Themed tournament. Went 3-1!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

If you're looking for a break from the game competitively, try Heroes of the Aturi Cluster. I'm looking to start at a campaign at my FLGS and hopefully that'll help keep me interested. My FLGS also from time to time does unique tournaments to avoid everything being meta lists and tryhardy.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

My FLGS just opened their new location and so I sat and watched a game for the heck of it. It was a Rey + Jan Ors HWK vs a Shadowcaster and YV666. They literally just flew right into each other and bumped and the game was over in about 6 turns.

I'm starting to see more big base ships and less "dogfighting" which is kind of sad because I like the aspect of getting in and out arcs through maneuvering. Now it seems like there's just turrets and bombs and to hell with arcs.

Granted each store may have different metas but man it's been at least a year since I've seen Soontir or even an Interceptor on the board.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Blocking isn't what killed Soontir. ASLAM K Wings never need to guess right *at all*.

I was thinking about this sort of thing this morning about how SLAMS work with the K-Wing bomber meta and how it could be fixed. Shouldn't using a SLAM maneuver, a really fast boost, be hard to control? What if they adjusted the ruling that not only must the K-Wing use the same speed but also the same maneuver template again. This could cause the K-Wing to go off the board, into rocks, bump, be more exposed, etc. The wording would change to this:

quote:

To SLAM, choose and execute a maneuver on the ship's dial. The chosen maneuver must be the same speed and maneuver template as the maneuver that ship executed this round. Then assign that ship a weapons disabled token.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I have a feeling X-Wing 2.0 won't be for a long time now - which stinks because there's a crapload of unused ships that further and further sink into irrelevance along with a bunch of unique but decidedly useless cards when compared to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Thinking of bringing this list to a store champs on Sunday. Make Nien my stressgiver with Snap and Jess teaming up for the attack.

Trip T70s (100)

"Snap" Wexley (33) - T-70 X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), R2 Astromech (1), Pattern Analyzer (2), Black One (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Nien Nunb (36) - T-70 X-Wing
Push The Limit (3), R3-A2 (2), Pattern Analyzer (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (31) - T-70 X-Wing
R2-D6 (1), Primed Thrusters (1), Integrated Astromech (0), Expertise (4)

Contemplating tho switching Expertise to VI for Jess to get over the low PS hump of Contracted Scouts and TIEs.

• Locked thread