Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I just tell myself I need to fly better into positions where I’ll get screwed over less by dice overall. I’ve re-rolled blanks into blanks, or watched my three fully modified dice turn into hits in turn be fully evaded by natural evades. You can’t necessarily control what you’ll get for dice results, since it’s still based on variance, but you can control where your ship is and how it is positioned.

I usually feel better after whiffing a shot if I’m still in a good position to do it again next turn, and without getting shot back. I know it’s not always the case but sometimes the odds pay off better if you’re shooting someone at range 2 or even 3 every turn rather than at range 1 rarely while also being shot back at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Apparently Rebel Fenn was enough to get a local player to smash one of his minis and is rage-quitting the game.

What are good counters to Fenn? Just concentrate fire on him first?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

When I first started I though evades and focus tokens stayed with you the whole round. That and that if you were stressed, your next maneuver HAD to be a green maneuver.

I still mess some things from time to time but joining a league with helpful players really sped things up to help me get to know the games mechanics.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I agree that the NymMiranda combo covers way too much of the spectrum for combat vs how it’ll perform against the other pillars. Can’t get too close, can’t be too far, and on top of that has to be able to constantly push through damage to make sure Miranda doesn’t regen too much, and to take Nym off the board since it doesn’t follow the half health rule.

Last night I played two TIE/Ds with a Striker blocker/flanker against a 3 Lok Revenant list that had concussion missiles with guidance chips, deadeye, and EM. While initially scary since the Scurgg list can potentially fire off 6 missiles with inherent modifications, and also having a 3 dice primary, I was able to take risks to ionize them and set up favorable moves. I actually had Snap Shot on both my Defenders, and if I placed them right, it’d trigger a few times.

During that match my opponent remarked that if he had bombs and a turret it’d be different, and I agree. With no arc to worry about, he would just have to fly in a general area, while I’d have to work and find the right approach to not get bombed or turreted.

In my opinion, either Nym needs his EPT off, or the Scurgg needs an adjustment to its loadout. It should pick between loading bombs and missiles, or turret and missiles only. Being able to carry all three makes it incredibly viable for all engagements with the only downside is just a 1 dice defense.

My thought of Miranda is that her regen should only come off of her primary attacks, not turrets.

Arcs should matter a lot more, it’s frustrating to either be in arc, be in range, or be in bomb range despite barrel rolling or boosting. I know there’s a map that shows the potential bomb drops of the NymMiranda list and it’s scary, then add in the possibility of getting shot regardless by a turret or missile.

Carolina Krayts even mentioned it on their podcast for their own tournament that they’re not allowing TrajSim and Genius because it would have led to literally only 3 lists being played and no one wants to do it because it wouldn’t be fun, but just necessary to win.

I’m in a league now and we have achievements that can earn you points where you can certainly in the end, tip the points to your favor for running 4+ ships, or all genetics, a list that’s less than 90 points, etc. it was clearly geared to diversify everyone’s lists and it’s been showing well.

Ok, that’s my rant.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I think a triple interceptor list can win, with the right pilots and maneuvers. The meta moved a bit into arc-using ships for Harpoons, so being able to duck dive dip dodge evade arcs and getting into range can still be pretty good. Yeah it’s only 3 hull but if you move just right and get the tokens just right you can do damage. Throw Soontir and Carnor Jax in and you can get in close and deny actions and dodge arcs.

I hope in the future we will see something that can make Interceptors relevant again but it’ll take a title that reduces cost, or a 2.0 update but that’s s pipedream.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I agree, all damage dealt should be via a dice roll or based off of a crit card. The red dice are already set for 50% hit Rate, that’s close enough.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Ion cannon everything - EVERY. THING.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Second week of the league I’m in at my local game store - it has achievements so I decided to go with attempting the following
[X] fly 4 or more of the same ship
[X] fly a list with no upgrades
[] win with a list less than 90 points
[] Win with a list where each ship has two or fewer upgrades

My list was two Alpha Squad Interceptors and 4 Academy TIEs. I almost won against QuickDraw and 3 Harpoon Gunboats. Went to time and in the end I destroyed 1 Gunboat, had two Gunboats to either 1 or two health, and QuickDraw was down to two health. I lost 2 TIEs and 1 interceptor for an MoV difference of 22.

It was a blast and it helped me realize that a swarm can really take on Gunboat list if you close the distance quickly as possible. Focused fire helped and there were two times my opponent fired his harpoons and wiped out my ship - therefore it didn’t trigger harpoon condition. It was decided that if we had one more round it would have possibly led to a win for me.

I might keep using the list because it’s fun as hell to fly and see people trying to escape from TIEs.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Can your girlfriend Talk to my wife about how this is a fun game to play and not a waste of money, thanks in advance.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Harpoon should be “Cancel all results, deal 1 damage and condition to ship. Player can then decide when to detonate the harpoon to deal one damage to all ships in range 1” enemy ship can still spend that action to drop the condition as well.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

A lot of the meta by me is Harpo Gunboats, but me personally I liked to fly linked battery with ion or tractor beam cannon Gunboats for a little bit. The issue I’ve had is just the maneuverability of them just being average with no real positioning ability. They’re decent against low AGL ships with the reroll and ion cannons, but anything higher than 1 AGL then it’s a challenge. Cap it off with 2AGL and no repositioning then they get chewed up.

Harpo Gunboats are the better option, utilizing their cheap cost, reload, SLAM ability is better suited as a missile platform.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

League Match where I got to get the following achievements:

[X] Fly 4 or more ships in your list
[X] Win a game with all generic (non-unique) pilots
[X] Win a game with 4 or more ships in your list
[X] Play a game with no more than 2 upgrades per ship

My list:

quote:

Green Squadron Pilot — A-Wing PS3
Intensity
Chardaan Refit

Blue Squadron Novice — T-70 X-Wing PS2
Flight-Assist Astromech
Primed Thrusters

R2 Astromech
Primed Thrusters

BB-8
Primed Thrusters

Faced off against a regular opponent that was flying Quickdraw with VI, FCS, Lightweight Frame, Title, and then 3 Harpoon Gunboats with Long Range Scanners. He packs his gunboats in a formation with QD away. I arranged my T70s in a "house" formation that allows me to start off and go anywhere easily while confusing where I'd go. The A-Wing was kept somewhat close. Started out with my 3 T-70s barreling towards QD while my A-Wing danced 1 hard turns. For some reason my opponent threw all his target locks onto the A-Wing while he kept sending his group of boats 1-speed forward. I was able to fly 5 forward and get in behind the gunboats with the A-Wing on one turn and from there was able to almost solo all 3 with it. The X-Wings did some nasty work to QD and the Flight Assist Astromech is great for disengaging and then either flying back in fast or going after a different target. BB8 screwed me over too much, and the R2 astro came in handy.

Overall though, the primed thrusters and FAA combo was great. I was surprised that I did pretty well, only lost one X-Wing while I took out Quickdraw and one gunboat.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

X7s as an entire list just feels like it flies around to not shoot and not take damage. TIE/D with Ion cannons and snap shot have been my jam lately.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

If T70s had three AGL instead of two, I’m sure a triple T-70 list would be a terror like it should be. Although with FAA, hunting down Harpo Gunboats is extremely fun and easy.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Actually make the 3AGL an EPT like “X-Wing Ace” for T70s and T65s.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

If that servomotor thing allows the U-wing to get evades and the pilots are decent, I will gladly fly two. It’s one of my favorite ships as a model but not much for the game play itself.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Original U-Wing pack is where you can get Expertise. The card itself can net for 15 bucks on eBay too.

I nabbed the U-Wing because it’s an awesome ship and Expertise was fun on my Defenders. With two U-Wings I can imagine that a two U-Wing list might be fun!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

My problem with Epic is how much time it takes and how little people know how to play or have it. My FLGS tried to do a casual epic game or two and still couldn’t get enough interest in it.

Should just have Epic ships in 100pt games as obstacles and can fire a two dice attack once a round at the closest enemy ship.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Let’s face it, we all did something like that. One time I tractored a harpoon laden Gunboat into range 1 of my ship but also put it back into missile range of a ship it was locked on.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I’d love to fly a triple T-70 list with FAA but I sure as heck don’t want to buy two more Heathbaripedes for them. Might just see if there’s any Imp-only players would sell me one if they nabbed a Sheath.

I’ve been practicing a lot on the FlyCasual program and it’s been a lot of fun too.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Give the Punishers a title that lets them ditch a loaded missile or torpedo (or an extra munition token) to cancel all dice results when attacked and take one damage.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

That’s the problem with the Palp nerf, you couldn’t really do it any other way. I think they could go back to how it was originally without any issue, seeing that there are tons of options that consistently put out more damage than Palp.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

It can work - the tractor beam/ion cannon combo is fun because you want to hit first with the tractor beam and barrel or boost them into a position that, after being hit with an ion cannon, makes them go onto a rock or off the board.

Ryad is my homegirl and X7 with her is great. Sometimes I throw Juke on there but PTL is also a good choice to get maximum tokens. Just be careful of her placement because X7 makes the Defenders super predictable. Don’t be afraid to do the slower maneuvers to throw people off, and with PTL you can still get a fair number of tokens or a reposition out of it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

So got a tournament tomorrow that was the culmination of a achievement league and I ended up in the Consolation Bracket. Winners in that bracket actually still get to win some cool custom templates and other prizes so I’m going to go and give it a shot. I have two lists, one Rebel and one Imperial, using ships I’ve flown before and comfortable with, but want to know which would be relatively good. I’m not looking to win it all but at least want something to survive and also to keep my opponents guessing.

Triple 70s (100)

•Nien Nunb (35) - T-70 X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), •R3-A2 (2), Primed Thrusters (1), Vectored Thrusters (2)

•"Snap" Wexley (31) - T-70 X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), Flight-Assist Astromech (1), Primed Thrusters (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

•Ello Asty (34) - T-70 X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), R7 Astromech (2), Primed Thrusters (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

I’ve flown triple T-70s tons of times but throughout the waves they’ve been slowly getting pushed out. Goal is for Nunb to throw out stress in any way possible while Snap flanks and Ello brawls and makes it difficult for ships to get hits on him with R7. Might put in B.B.-8 instead.

Other list:

Gamestorm Imp (100)

•Countess Ryad (36) - TIE Defender
Push The Limit (3), TIE/x7 (-2), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

•Double Edge (29) - TIE Aggressor
Predator (3), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Lightweight Frame (2)

•The Inquisitor (35) - TIE Adv. Prototype
Push The Limit (3), Concussion Missiles (4), TIE/v1 (1), Autothrusters (2)

Ryad and Quiz doing their usual while DE goes out and ionizes the targets. Haven’t seen a lot of Aggressors or even an Inquisitor on the table. I’ve been known to fly Defenders a lot so I know they’re going to be predictable with X7 and Engine 2.

Might just flip a coin the morning of and go with that.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Primed thrusters helped in some arc-dodging with Snap for sure. PA I do like as well and may toss that on Ello.

As for Prockets I agree they’re better but I want to limit my range with Inquisitor, figure with concussion missiles I can stay at range 3 for autorhtusters and defense while throwing 4 attack dice that come pre-modded.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Good points - thanks! I was also thinking about if I go up against a Ghost that boosts out of a range 1 bubble from TLTwhich is why I was thinking concussion missiles. My trouble with prockets though is do I keep Autothrusters or slap on guidance chips?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Should I drop the VI on the X-Wings since the common meta lists will already be at 10 or 11? Throw on PTL or Intensity?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Took two Delta Squad Defenders and Inquisitor to the tournament today and was out on the first round since it was elimination. Made a rookie measuring mistake and self-bumped Inquisitor in front of a Rey/Finn. Was able to get Miranda on the Ion cannon one forward train but made another rookie mistake where I removed an ion token at the end of combat and realized it afterwards. My opponent obviously didn’t say anything because why not. After that it was an uphill battle.

Played a pickup game against a buddy for fun - lost that one but it was against two Lothal VCXs and Cpt Rex. One had Hera so he had about 7 stress on it and I was able to land a console Fire crit on it. If it was a tournament game I would have just ignored the ship and kept my distance but we were joking around anyway about how long it’d take for a console fire to kill a VCX at 7 health.

Overall it was fun to see everyone play - past few weeks I’ve been too busy to play but having almost 20 people in and talking shop was great. I think I’ll try to stay with Defenders and try out other combos. We also got some store templates made - I need to peel off the coating but I’ll snap photos of it - it looks awesome!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Actually, that kinda sucks from your opponent and if you called over a judge they should back you up on that.
That isn't a missed opportunity with an optional thing. Removing the ion token is not an optional game effect, and you inadvertently created an illegal game state (which, depending on when it's noticed, is super easy to resolve)

The example I always like to give is if someone with Push the Limit performs an action, but then neglects to do a second action and moves on, that's a missed opportunity.
If someone performs a PTL action and forgets to put down a stress token, that doesn't mean they're not stressed, that just means that the token was forgotten. It's an inaccurate game state, and should be corrected

I'll have to remember that - it was something like I said didn't realize til afterwards. I've been trying to make sure I get conditions and actions down since now there's so many triggers and such in the game it's insane.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I’ve faced triple Loks with two Glaive Defenders with TIE/D and ion cannons. Easy to get the Ion cannon hit, then primary shot was always a breeze. At best you’re getting 4 damage through and you’ve got them ion locked.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

A good list is a list that utilizes its upgrades efficiently and doesn’t have ships wasting point space and ability.

Now, you can fly a list really well with enough practice, but it depends on what the list can handle and what it has to do against lists it can’t handle.

Do you want to bomb the poo poo out of everything and set traps? NymMiranda. Want to be tanky and cover large arcs of fire? Wookie Gunship lists.

What I’ve learned from my meta is that you need to have dice mods. Your average dice roll on the attack with 3 dice is going to be a blank, eyeball and a hit. Do you have an upgrade that can change blanks or eyeballs? How about something that can reroll those blanks? How can the upgrade benefit you and not the enemy? How do you fly the ship?

Here’s an example, let’s say you like flying Defenders. Without a title they’re expensive, and while they have some good health, their dial is predictable and don’t have much in ways of dealing out hard hits. So get a Countess Ryad, Expertise, TIE x/7 title and then twin Ion engine upgrade. With Ryad you can do some great GREEN K-turns that if they’re fast, can get you an evade for defense, perform a focus action, and then when you attack with expertise, you have the ability to change your eyes to hits without spending the focus. On defense you have an evade, a focus, and three green dice at your disposal.

Recognize what ships need what to succeed. Have a plan for them. My favorite list is two TIE/D Defenders with ion cannons, snap shot and then as filler, a TIE Striker with adaptive ailerons and light weight frame. My goal with the Striker is run it fast as hell to the weakest ship across the board and keep it occupied while my Defenders ionize ships and use snap shot the next turn when the enemy ship does a 1-forward in front of them.

If you want to run ordinance, make sure you have ways to mod them, like having guidance chips, expertise, lone wolf, predator, etc. get an understanding for what the ordinance does and if it has any native mods with them. Concussion missiles give you 4 red dice and you can change a blank to a hit. Proton rockets are range one but you can use your focus to mod them and a target lock as well.

Honestly I can rant for hours. I’m not a great player but I study cards and ships and dials when I can. Your best bet is to pick a ship you like and do some research on what other players use with it or in a squad. I started out wanting to fly X-Wings and asked around during League what to do. Unfortunately at the time T65s weren’t so great but the T70s were out and had some success. So I tried those out and eventually started to branch out and try other ships or watch them at tables or on streams. Eventually I got the Imp Vets pack and some Defenders and got hooked on them.

So pick a ship or two you like looking at and post it here, I’m sure lots of people will chime in to give thoughts on a good fun list.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Some of the podcasts have some great salt to listen to. The latest Mynock one has them talking to the first and second place winners of a regional and one of the hosts straight called one of their lists “bullshit” at how it abuses the game mechanics and that it’s not “X-Wing”.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

B-Wing E2 should be a title, then there’s a B-Wing only mod that allows you to fire your lasers and ion cannon as one shot with damage and ion token, taking a weapons disabled token in return.

A-Wing title that lets you boost and barrel roll as a combined action. Then a modification to remove missiles to upgrade your lasers one red die.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

What’s the Incredible Bulk/Bulk Hogan/The Great Bulksky/3 Bulkboards list?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

canyoneer posted:

4x trick shot contracted scouts just won Vegas in the finals vs Palp Aces. Ate the shuttle in ~2 turns and got all shields off QD before losing a Scout. The last 3 cleaned up bumping like crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc_vccUamvY

FFG: So do we remove the turret slot?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

A-Wings should have an ability to boost or barrel roll when they activate in the combat phase, that’s one way I can think to make them more viable.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Don’t be afraid to ask friends to play within a certain range of rules for a casual game - I’ve had buddies say “X-Wings and TIEs only” or “No upgrades”. This game is first and foremost a kitchen table beer and pretzels game and has the parts for it be played as such.

It’s fine to say no to play against meta lists, unless you’re looking to specifically practice or help someone practice. In fact, that might be a great avenue. Have someone make a meta list for you to practice against them with. It’ll give you a chance to see how those lists play out.

Edit: Try switching out Weapons Guidance for Primed Thrusters if you have it. Being able to boost or barrel roll while stressed is a great way to reposition after doing the Tallon Rolls if you can.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

gently caress yes! I’m at work so I have no idea what’s fully said but glad to hear they’re investing into the game with stuff like this.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I’m hoping they streamline the steps and not have convoluted timing windows for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

The regular rabble of Wang players in a local FB group don't seem impressed by 2.0

Then again, their meta is supremely stupid and dumb.

I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of players that have established play tactics and strategies that will not like 2.0. I know some are complaining about buying stuff to play but the amount it costs still pales to the other tabletop games played at the LGS.

• Locked thread