Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

alg posted:

Good lord is X-Wing popular

Some of that might be Dust Tactics....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I need a token to remind me whether Turr Phennir used his real action to boost or barrel roll when his post attack action comes around.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 15, 2014

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Here's my storage solution:

:v:

You're the rear end in a top hat who takes 30 minutes to set up for a simple game because he's hunting for components :mad:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Ugh, gently caress the IG-2000. Up til now I've been perfectly happy with 1x of each large ship. All of the IG-88s better have a point cost in excess of 33 :mad:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

SageNytell posted:

So for the more math - inclined goons out there: what does the Accuracy Corrector mean for shot statistics? Is there a scenario when making a shot normally makes sense?

Does canceling dice results count as modifying dice? If so, it could be interesting with an ion cannon.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

alg posted:

Ya, I play at Gamer's Armory. Stairs, etc.

edit: good interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCrNf_Y4KfA

"We don't want to see any like 11 point pilots"

Thank god.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there a full list of all cards and what set they come from? Or better yet images of the cards?

If you have an Android device X-Wing Companion is pretty great.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

HiveCommander posted:

Keep in mind that two years and 12 new ships later, the TIE swarm is still a top-tier list so 'new hotness' isn't a requirement to win.

The fact that there won't be any 11 point ships was the best news from that interview with the designers, but my favorite part was the comment that the TIE swarm is the shark of X-Wing: it doesn't need to evolve.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

I had a brilliant idea for promos that were technically unique but wouldn't lock people out of content.

Unique pilot cards that either don't have a pilot ability, or duplicate an existing one. Like give us a Lt. Kettch TIE pilot card, but give it the same pilot skill, upgrade slots, ability and point cost of an existing TIE pilot.

Just have unique art and flavor text.

But why would Kettch ever fly for the Empire?

SageNytell posted:

Fixed that for you. It is my dream.

How does the fanbase for X-Wing at local stores seem to be? I understand every store is different, but some friends are encouraging me to try the local X-Wing nights. I'm concerned by the fanbase I've seen for a lot of other games at my FLGS - I would never do a Magic night with strangers after the poo poo I've seen, for example. Does X-Wing tend to attract a more mature audience due to the slightly higher buy-in cost?

edit: yub yub motherfuckers

The only complaint I have about the local store's X-Wing night is all the people on the other side of the store playing Magic. Wow, you topdecked the right card; this is something that has never happened to anyone before and is entirely worth shouting about for an entire minute.

The X-Wing players are all super chill, though.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 18, 2014

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

You don't really need to look too hard into missiles and torpedoes; they have a really hard time pulling their weight. Ion cannons and Heavy Laser cannons and be pretty good, but even without them the B-Wing is a monster.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I'd say the HWK is more usable than the TIE Advanced, but that might be just because I expected more from the latter.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Leo Showers posted:

X-Wing vs TIE-Fighter missions ahoy

God, I wasted countless hours of my youth making custom missions for XvT no one ever played. Now I can waste countless hours of my adulthood. This time instead of being limited to 32 ships at a time by the engine, I'll be limited by my wallet.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I have my suspicions that Corran was designed in answer to the question "what could we possibly do to make Marksmanship worth taking?"

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Lemon Curdistan posted:

death to dice, incidentally; people should stop making games that use them :v:

In a way, I'm glad I managed to avoid Dungeon Command since it seems to have died rather uneventfully, but a minis game with no dice where losing units didn't cause a snowballing loss of power sure was pretty attractive.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Ville Valo posted:

Apparently, my Damage Decks were all shuffled together into one big pile at some point. That was fun to separate. :(

It's a good idea to inventory them from time to time anyway, to make sure they're still legal.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Chill la Chill posted:

Rule of 11: assuming both ships are at the edge of their deployment zone, the range between them is 11 forward for range 1 shooting.

The rule of 11 is that in order to get within range 3, the sum of the movement of both sides needs to be at least 11, if the ships are at the forward most edge of the deployment zone and directly opposite one another. If both sides open with forward 4, the total distance moved is 10 (4 from the template + 1 from the base = 5, times two) and the ships won't be able to shoot. So, if nobody does a 5 forward (or a 4 forward with a large ship, or boost/barrel roll shenanigans), you know nothing is going to happen in the first round. The practical use of the rule is for trying to get your ordnance off while your opponent's primary weapons are granting you an extra green die, or preventing your torpedo laden opponents from getting that advantage.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Ville Valo posted:

Those all come after Splinter of the Minds Eye, where it debuted. :eng101: Of course it's totally fair game, the entirety of Waves 5 and 6 are EU creations.

"TIE Fighters don't have shields" is an EU creation.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Apparently it's just a bad idea to use Determination to fill in that one last point in introductory games. "So I would have been better off it that was just a regular hit? That's bad game design." I eventually lost pretty soundly, though, so the game left a pretty positive impression in the end.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 7, 2014

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

The issue with 4xRGP is buying a second Imperial Aces when you bought 4xInterceptors before you knew that Aces was going to be a thing. Even though it's your favorite Star Wars ship ever, it's hard to justify owning 8.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Sigma-X posted:

Mara Jade on the Kenkirk Dauntless, along with Engine upgrade to slam into dudes more readily and get bonus actions off the slam is pretty legit. With Mara Jade when you run into guys your stress is going to lock them out of whatever manuevers they need to not hit you again while shooting.

You can't boost to slam into dudes; a boost has to be unobstructed. You can make a Daredevil turn to run into someone, but it gives you a stress so you can't use your free Dauntless action.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

It could never be a legitimate strategy, since your opponent literally gets to force you to make the worst possible non-red move.

Edit:

Strobe posted:

If you reveal a red manager with a stress, your opponent gets to choose another (non-red, non-board-leaving) maneuver. Green maneuvers chosen in this way do not clear stress.

Don't do it.

I'm not seeing a restriction that the chosen maneuver keep the ship in play or that prevents it from clearing stress.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 9, 2014

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

At least "Fat Han" is more descriptive than "Han Shoots First", which from what I can tell is used to describe any list that includes Han.

My personal HSF list has Roark raising Tarn Mison's pilot skill to 12 so that Han doesn't shoot first. I call it "Special Edition". It is not a Fat Han list because Han's only upgrade is a Gunner.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Han Shoots First is Han + Veteran Instincts which puts him at PS11, which is better than any Phantom could be, so he gets to shoot before they recloak.

HSF was a thing way before Phantoms, back when VI was a novelty you might throw on Turr so that all your ships were PS9 but pretty much a waste of an EPT slot.

Ville Valo posted:

I was under the impression Pilot Skill caps at 10 regardless of upgrades; is that not the case?

Yeah, there's no upper bound.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Goddamn, rolling six attack dice, getting 5 hits and 1 crit, and one-shotting a 42 point cloaked Whisper is a loving rush.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

zVxTeflon posted:

If he flew within range 1 of a APT ship he deserves death

He flew within range 3 of an HLC armed Ibitsam with opportunist, failed to one-shot Jan (but just barely) and got his focus stripped by Jansen.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Indolent Bastard posted:

A little more drool fodder.

What an amazingly intricate scale model.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

LoG posted:

Played a game last night and played against a guy flying an E-Wing with Predator. At the end of movement phase he locked on to one of my TIE Fighters in range 1 so combat goes like this?

He rolls 4 attack dice, gets 1 hit, 1 eye, 2 blanks
Rerolls the blanks with Predator, gets 1 eye, 1 blank
Rerolls all 3 non hits with target lock and rolls 3 hits.
I defend 1, take 3 damage and blow up.

That can happen every round?

A die can only be rerolled once.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

What's the general consensus about the Jan Ors co-pilot ability. Can she convert a focus token into an evade token on the ship she's in? The card says "a friendly ship within range 1-3" not "another friendly ship". Which raises a bigger question, is a ship considered "within range 1" of itself?

My knee jerk response to both of these is no, but I could see someone trying to make the argument that because it doesn't specify "another friendly ship" it can be used on the ship she's in.

There are no cards that say "within range x". Within means "entirely within" and is only used in setup when your ships must be entirely within range one of your edge (or touching the edge)

No ship could be considered within range x of itself, since ranges start at the ship's edge. I was thinking maybe the movement guides might allow a ship to be at range 1 of itself, but they only count for overlapping, never range.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Strobe posted:

The Z-95 has a 3-speed K-Turn.

And no astromech slot.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Len posted:

How enjoyable would this game be just out of the box? I've had my eye on it for awhile and I'm thinking about picking it up this weekend but don't know when I'll get around to grabbing more models than what's already in the box. Basically will it have a dozen or so games of fun right out of the box?

Probably not. There's only so much you can do with one X-Wing and two TIEs. And a bunch of those things, like putting R2-D2 on Luke, are going to lead to crappy games.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Interceptors are pretty seriously over-costed (Soontir Fel is nice, but he's exceedingly fragile and very expensive and strictly worse than Tycho)

Fel is not strictly worse than Tycho. His 3 attack dice are better than Tycho's 2 and his 9 pilot skill can generally be regarded as an improvement. He gives up barrel rolls and a second mod slot for target locks and a second EPT, not to mention that their pilot skills are pretty different. It's possible that his lower cost, extra hit point, and that green 5 straight are generally worth what he gives up, but "strictly worse" means a very specific thing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I suspect that autoblaster is still a bad card, but I kind of want to shred a fat Han with some uncancelable hits now that now that evade tokens and Threepio add dice results.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

Won't help you in sanctioned play; but my friends and I have a gentlemans' agreement that if we forget to assign an action, its assumed to be a Focus.

This is kind dangerous though, since sometimes you didn't forget to take an action, you forgot that the ship ran into a ship that has since moved.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Holy poo poo, they actually printed a "slam the w key to cancel the weapon cooldown" upgrade.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Strobe posted:

Attack Wing doesn't have blind buy.

It's an organized play thing. You show up, buy a mystery ship and build a list with it. The organized play aspect of Attack Wing is far and away the worst part, which is saying something considering how ugly the ships are.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Tippis posted:

(don't ask about the YT-1300's ventral turret… shhh!).

When ships are that close they fly by too fast for the turret to track.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Strobe posted:

Don't think so. When a card says "firing arc" it explicitly means your front firing arc, or else Falcons would never use anything else ever.

The YT-1300 has a single firing arc and a turret primary weapon which can ignore the firing arc. The Firespray has primary and auxiliary firing arcs. Both are firing arcs for all purposes, though secondary weapons must use the primary firing arc unless they say otherwise.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

FAQ page 15, bro.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Nera doesn't have a 360° secondary arc; she gets to ignore her firing arc when using torpedoes. We just went over the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Would be a scum ship, since the Rebellion took one look at it and said "Yeah, this doesn't do anything the A-Wing doesn't do better" and sold them all to pirates.

• Locked thread