Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Everytime I find a Falcon or Firespray someplace (in english at least) I don't have the cash to spare and decide to go back next week.

At which point they're gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Everytime I find a Falcon or Firespray someplace (in english at least) I don't have the cash to spare and decide to go back next week.

At which point they're gone.

There are a few places in the UK that seen to have the Slave I set at least.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Thinking of entering my first store tourney, could use a bit of advice. I enjoy playing Imperials, but I thought Rebs might be a bit more forgiving of rookie mistakes.

quote:

Jake Farrell (24)
Outmaneuver (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Veteran Instincts (1)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R2 Astromech (1)

Garven Dreis (26)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)

Total: 99

If they allow proxies I'll be dumping Jake's Outmaneuver for Push The Limit. He'll be the flanker trying to chase down pesky Phantoms or rush behind the line and stay there. Alternatively I'd swap VI for Adrenaline Rush just to have a one-off white K-turn to stay with particularly slippery things. The other three will just be a core flying within Range 2 of each other with the Y-Wing to cover while they move and Garven to hand out extra Focus when and where it's needed. I haven't played here before so I have no idea what the meta is like, but the tournament's being billed as newbie friendly so hopefully there will be a mix of things to face. I was originally going to build it around Nera but then I realised I had no Flechette torpedoes :v:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Holy poo poo that Jake Farrell is insane

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
I've heard people call the version of that Jake with Push the Limit "ghetto Soontir Fel," and it seems to fit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So Farlander with HLC/PtL/Advanced Sensors is extremely good. I fought against Jake as well and yeah, he's pretty much a Soontir, but with two EPT slots.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Jake is pretty neat but it quickly becomes obvious how much better Soontir is with only 2 attack dice

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Im beginning to think a souped up Farlander is the support ship of choice for Han when you're not running Biggs + A.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

alg posted:

Jake is pretty neat but it quickly becomes obvious how much better Soontir is with only 2 attack dice

Yeah, but Jake swaps a point of hull for 2 shields, has one extra green maneuver, gets to do an action no other A-Wing can do for free, has a target lock to help mitigate the 2 attack dice and gets access to an extra EPT for 5 points less than the Baron. Bring him to the same Pilot Skill with VI and he's 4 points cheaper. 2 Attack hurts but he's not too shabby.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah honestly the flexibility that Jake has is something above and beyond what Fel can do. It looks really, really good and it ends up being a really cheap effective flanker which absolutely cannot be ignored.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Like I keep going on and on every few pages, he's probably the best candidate for one of the offensive boosting talents (Outmaneuver, Predator, even Expose) because it offsets his one downside of 2 Attack dice for how cheap he is. Expose lets him on demand turn into an X-Wing, but it's expensive.

(The downside of Expose is mitigated by being an A-Wing, and therefore going 'down' to a regular 2 Defence dice compounded by his ability to not be in Arcs in the first place)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I have used Tycho Celchu, A-Wing Test Pilot, Push the Limit, Daredevil, Chardaan Refit with some success as well. It's fun pushing around that pile of stress tokens.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5107

Bomb upgrade for Y-wings, meh. Most of the stuff is scum only :/

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm gonna enjoy using Fett as an anchor with a couple Z's. Virago as the flanker. A scum version of the lambda, echo, and tie/Ln formation. :)

That insta-hit ion attack is pretty sweet. It would actually allow for a formation of Z's to hold off an echo or even finish off Han.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Unhinged Astromech. :stare:

Y-wings suddenly faster than everything, yes please.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
With a list of three B-Wings, how would I want to fly them? Roughly together, in some kind of formation? Spread them out?

I tend to play with people who like Predator, so I try to avoid the PS2 pilots.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Strobe posted:

Unhinged Astromech. :stare:

Yeah, that made me laugh.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dead Mans Switch the best card (and art)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, that made me laugh.

The Z-95 has a 3-speed K-Turn.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Strobe posted:

The Z-95 has a 3-speed K-Turn.

And no astromech slot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Dang. And here I thought I had discovered the budget Defender. Sigh.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Well I just lost my 3rd round in the Team Covenant Open. Played Dallas Parker, who took 2nd at Worlds last year. He was running Kenkirk and Whisper, I took the Zs again. I over committed in the first round and he set up perfect to arc dodge with Whisper whether I went straight or turned in. Killed Blount in one shot on the first round and it went downhill from there!

The squad I want to play with for some fun games is the Serious Sevens.

Keyan
Farrel
Porkins

All with PTL. Engine on the X and B, Chardaan on Jake. Advanced Sensors for Keyan and R5-D8 for Porkins. Should be fun as hell!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I've decided that I'm going to start running TIE Bombers with Proton Bombs in an effort to counter all these A-Wing lists I'm seeing popping up.

e: I'm thinking 4x Gamma Squadron Pilots with Flechette Torpedoes and Proton Bombs. 100 points on the nose.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 7, 2014

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
Rules Questions as I prep for my first tourney!

If I take Roark Garnet, then use him on pilot A with swarm tactics, and then pilot A uses swarm tactics on pilot Y, Is pilot Y's skill now 12 or Pilot A's original skill level?

Also if a ship with shields is hit by an Ion turret, does it still count even if the ship only loses a shield or does it need to take actual damage for the ion effect to happen?

Thanks!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Rules Questions as I prep for my first tourney!

If I take Roark Garnet, then use him on pilot A with swarm tactics, and then pilot A uses swarm tactics on pilot Y, Is pilot Y's skill now 12 or Pilot A's original skill level?

quote:

Also if a ship with shields is hit by an Ion turret, does it still count even if the ship only loses a shield or does it need to take actual damage for the ion effect to happen?

Thanks!

It still counts if it lost only a shield.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
cheers buddy

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Got a flawless victory 3-0, 600 points differential, tonight. Keyan + Han is nuts and is the best support ship so far. Beat a rebel elite list, BBZ, a Han/Ors list, and a shuttle/phantom/tie list. Sadly the swarm guy didn't want to play swarm this time and the BBBB guy didn't show up but in testing it was found to destroy enough Bs for Han to survive until the late game.

Farlander was equipped with E2/gunner, PTL, and FCS. I think next time I'll equip him with just PTL and HLC because gunner never activated (and is unlikely with TL+focus at all times) and I think it'll be better getting out the extra damage with HLC instead.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Yesterday I found an Omicron with a Weapons Engineer and Vessery with a HLC tag-teaming the same ship each turn are absolute murder :stare:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

What are you guys using to organize/store your cards? I keep all the ship stuff (cards, base cards, and dials) in labeled plastic bags, and all the damage cards in a little bag, but all my other upgrade/crew/ordnance/etc cards are just kinda sitting in there in my case. I need a better way of keeping them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I've not seen a decent way of organizing upgrade cards. Pilot cards go in a small ultra pro binder.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

alg posted:

I've not seen a decent way of organizing upgrade cards. Pilot cards go in a small ultra pro binder.

I put my upgrade cards in these in a binder with regular card holders for the pilots. All my cards are in sleeves and I follow a 2 upgrade card per pocket process and it works fine. It's not tight enough to survive being upside down, so I have to be sure to keep the binder upright, but otherwise, it works for me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Upgrade cards go into small baggies that I think were originally containing bases/stands. They all go into an old card organizer with most of the game materials. The other materials go on top of my tackle box which houses the ships.

The quick play stuff is on top of this as well as the dice and medals I still need to sell. Poor bombs will never get used so I might get rid of them too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What are you guys using to organize/store your cards? I keep all the ship stuff (cards, base cards, and dials) in labeled plastic bags, and all the damage cards in a little bag, but all my other upgrade/crew/ordnance/etc cards are just kinda sitting in there in my case. I need a better way of keeping them.

http://www.makeplayingcards.com/design/tuckbox-for-mini-playing-cards.html

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 8, 2014

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I played a pretty good match this weekend against my friend. B-Wing with Ion Cannon is super overpowered holy poo poo. My friend was running 2 ties and a bomber while I had an X-wing and a B-Wing. X-wing took out a Tie, and then he bombed the everloving gently caress out of my X-Wing and destroyed it essentially in one turn. My B-Wing focused his tie down and essentially locked his tie bomber down with the Ion Cannon every single turn until he died. Advance Marksmanship+Numb is ridiculous.

I haven't had much use out of my phantom yet. It's mobile and can cloak, but we're unsure on a few things.

Target lock stays on until it's used, but does this mean that if I have a target lock on someone I am unable to perform an action while it is still up?

Cloaking just adds 2 to evasive, not lose target lock correct?

Spending target lock lets you reroll any amount of dice right?

The Ion cannon (we had a small discussion on this) when it hits, means that he can no longer attack on that turn if he attacks second correct?

How are the Falcon and the Slave 1? He really wants to get a Slave 1, as do I, but 50 something dollars is a pretty big investment on something that might not be worth it to us.

We're really excited about Armada. Well, I am at least. My main goal when he told me about this was to fight in a Star Destroyer (favorite ship ever in any sci-fi universe. The shape, size, and firepower is nuts). If Armada doesn't have Admiral Thrawn or something like that, I'll be disappointed. Not too disappointed, but at least a little twinge of "awwww :ohdear:"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

All my cards, pilot and upgrade, are sleeved and are in Ultra Pro 9-pocket pages. Upgrade cards fit perfectly 2 to a pocket sideways.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Soulex posted:

Target lock stays on until it's used, but does this mean that if I have a target lock on someone I am unable to perform an action while it is still up?

Cloaking just adds 2 to evasive, not lose target lock correct?

Spending target lock lets you reroll any amount of dice right?

The Ion cannon (we had a small discussion on this) when it hits, means that he can no longer attack on that turn if he attacks second correct?

How are the Falcon and the Slave 1? He really wants to get a Slave 1, as do I, but 50 something dollars is a pretty big investment on something that might not be worth it to us.

We're really excited about Armada. Well, I am at least. My main goal when he told me about this was to fight in a Star Destroyer (favorite ship ever in any sci-fi universe. The shape, size, and firepower is nuts). If Armada doesn't have Admiral Thrawn or something like that, I'll be disappointed. Not too disappointed, but at least a little twinge of "awwww :ohdear:"
In order:

No, Yes, Yes, Ion cannons have no effect on firing, the Falcon and Slave 1 are pretty good

alg
Mar 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

All my cards, pilot and upgrade, are sleeved and are in Ultra Pro 9-pocket pages. Upgrade cards fit perfectly 2 to a pocket sideways.

Yeah when I try this they slide around :/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Yeah when I try this they slide around :/

Do you have them sleeved? I had the same problem until I got them all in the yellow FFG sleeves. I still will occasionally have one work its way loose if I pick up the binder upside down accidently, but they stay pretty secure otherwise.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Tekopo posted:

In order:

No, Yes, Yes, Ion cannons have no effect on firing, the Falcon and Slave 1 are pretty good

So, if I have that card that gives me a target lock after I attack someone for free, I need to lose it to use advance marksmanship. Thanks

So he can still attack if I ionize him? What the world!? So what's the point of using Ion cannon then, if it hits and all dice are canceled, I only do one damage as opposed to hitting him and possibly doing more with target lock/advanced marksmanship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Soulex posted:

So, if I have that card that gives me a target lock after I attack someone for free, I need to lose it to use advance marksmanship. Thanks

So he can still attack if I ionize him? What the world!? So what's the point of using Ion cannon then, if it hits and all dice are canceled, I only do one damage as opposed to hitting him and possibly doing more with target lock/advanced marksmanship
No, you don't need to lose it. Targets lock remain until used or until you get a target lock on another ship. They aren't affected by other actions.

Ion cannons are useful because you know exactly what the enemy is going to do next round. You can even walk people off the board if you keep hitting. It's extremely useful to just to have the opportunity to stick behind someone and essentially neutralize him.

• Locked thread