Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

IronSaber posted:

Hahahahaha, you really think people are gonna let the IG-2000 Aggressor title be used by the TIE? That's silly!

I don't see any way I could justify not letting an opponent do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's obviously against the spirit of the rules and the IG-2000 title says Aggressor Only while the TIE Aggressor is listed as a TIE Aggressor on the card.

The designers are on record as saying that low pilot skill pilots intentionally blocking higher skill pilots is against the spirit of the rules but it's still what the rules of the game are.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

AndyElusive posted:

How long ago did they say that?

FFG posted a whole Turn Zero article last year that focused entirely on blocking.

I can't find the interview at the moment, it might have been on video and therefore largely unsearchable. It would have been well before last year, possibly while Jay Little was still lead designer. The general gist was that the designers didn't see blocking becoming a strategy, and once players figured it out they liked the depth that it added to the game, even though that depth was accidental and thematically it's a little backwards. The point being that guessing designer intent is a fool's errand where one player's design depth is another's cheap move.

The tool the designers have to express their intent to us is the rules of the game. I fully expect the rules of the game to be changed to prevent TIE Agressors from using the IG-2000 title, but they would need to be.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

banned from Starbucks posted:

I like that they're similar. When I started playing way back when it helped me remember that green+circle = goes away at the end of the round where other stuff stays.

I'm unduly upset that Tractor Beam tokens aren't circular.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I'm glad those Kihraxzes and Star Vipers I bought will see play some day, but that Vaksai title just walks all over Royal Guard TIE's niche.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

My favorite squad builder is still X-Wing Squads Designer, which you have to sideload because Disney is capricious.

https://plus.google.com/117131374075828331639/posts/Vf8UER8Y1ro

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

If the TLJ ships aren't finalized yet (I won't say done playtesting because FFG doesn't do playtesting) they won't be out in December.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

hoiyes posted:

I don't hate the idea, but as written you could equip an Adv. Proton Torpedo and Expertise and just destroy everything in arc at r1-3

Including your own ships, that's what makes it balanced.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

thespaceinvader posted:

In which the author has 0 understanding of how auxiliary arcs work.

There's a way to do what he wants - the special firing arc on the ghost sets a precedent - but it's not what he's doing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Reference to 360° arcs at the end of the article. :mad:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Some Numbers posted:

The Special Forces TIE exists.

The TIE/fo exists and isn't just a TIE/ln repaint.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Raged posted:

Last Jedi is reallly, really good.

No other new ships for X-wing in it, maybe some for Armada.

Also stay out of all SA threads about it even ones with spoiler tags. FYAD exists and they love to ruin poo poo.

I was on SA for over a week between the release of TFA and when I saw it and the only thing spoiled for me was that Rey flies the falcon and it was this thread that did it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

flightless greeb posted:

I feel like thats def a thing with all of the movies, nobody is ever like a mediocre pilot lol

Mauler Mithel, elite pilot of the Empire personally chosen for Darth Vader's Black Squadron, just files into his squad leader.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

I love all of the First Order ships. They're all "like the original, but over-built to the point of hilarity."

Silencer: Like an Interceptor, but huge and angry
TIE/sf: Like a TIE fighter, but with all the guns and room for a gunner to shoot them
Upsilon: Like the Lambda, but huge and angry

It even extends to TLJ, where the First Order AT-AT things are like twice the size and angry.

And I know it's not canon, but the Punisher is totally what I imagine a First Order TIE Bomber to look like. Huge, and angry.

It's literally a plot point in The Last Jedi that the First Order spent so much of their time building the biggest and most intimidating ships they could that their navy is hugely ineffective.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

Nah, it was quite a bit larger (nose to tail) than the TIE/sf wingmen while still being similar in width. It's pretty close in-game.

And it's absolutely in line with the First Order's design philosophy of taking something the Empire had (TIE Interceptor) and making it loving huge and menacing for no reral benefit.

It's kind of weird how their regular TIEs are just regular TIE sized.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

enigmahfc posted:

Some people (...those fuckers) asked for bombs to be better, and then the monkey's paw gave them the middle finger.

Were they not paying attention when people got their wish for torpedoes to be better?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

Wouldn't that be a Pentajumper list? :v:

I think it's an Icosajumper list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I'll give FFG this, their staunch avoidance of good templating really got them out of the "how do you make an X-Wing only upgrade that people won't just put on T-70s" corner. "T-65 X-Wing" isn't a game term, but I guess that doesn't matter.

• Locked thread