Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's a goddamn Y-Wing, they don't swap the fuckin' turrets. Their turrets are the point of their ship. They should just get a straight up upgrade card for 0 points that adds a Crew. That's the point of Y-Wings, they're a two man attack ship with a turret. loving B-Wings why the gently caress did they get the crew card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Y'all are trolling me right

Ville Valo posted:

The 2-seater was an EU creation; Leia flew one and needed room for 3PO.

That's from the Holiday Special

Here it is in the CLone Wars, which is canon

It was also in several WEG books, it's in the FFG RPG, and it's in the video games. Just like many ships/upgrades they have made so far. S3 is fair game.

Hra Mormo posted:

Funnily enough A-wings have a 2-man variant as well. I'm personally not that big of a fan of Ys but if they did have a turret refit card that was big enough, like at least 3 points, preferably 4, the Y could be to Torpedos what the Headhunter is to missiles.

Why do Y-Wings have to lose their One Interesting Thing but A-Wings didn't, and B-Wings just get more upgrades for free :smith: Torpedoes are universally 100% awful

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Give Y-wings a crew variant, make it scum only. :getin:

:negative:

edit: 45 dollar Corvette http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgswx22.html

alg fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 3, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I would avoid Imperial Aces for now. Probably pick up a Phantom and Defender, then wait on the Decimator.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Leo Showers posted:

Who doubted you? I've certainly been thinking that 5x GSP w/ PtL and Chardaan Refit would be pretty good for as long as I've known what's in Rebel Aces.

I'm a Doubting Goon. It might be OK, but with no access to re-rolls those 2 attack dice are gonna lose you lots of games.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

How prevalent are Phantoms in your meta? That would almost be a non starter here for me with the National Champ playing exclusively Whisper + VI at my store.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Pretty much everyone owns a phantom here, but for the time being at least there is only a single one on the table at any given time. There's pretty much always a shuttle hanging around, and then some mix of phantoms and defenders, or other large ships.

Ya all the need is Whisper + VI to pick you apart. Without a Falcon you don't have a ton of options, though

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

What is the Falcon offering to fight Whisper that the Outrider doesn't have? It seems like an HLC turret plus the ability to barrel roll (or boost with Leebo) should allow me to maintain appropriate range against a Phantom, and it's my understanding that an HLC isn't affected by the bonus dice from cloak or range 3? I'm very new so I could be wrong about this.

Also, on the note of being new - I just went through and popped about $200 worth of XWing mini's tokens/pieces/etc that I had set aside due to playing mostly with an online squadron builder and my friend's tokens. I have 4 that I can't identify - small blue circles cut into 3 pieces on one side, with the other side either being space or some blue cargo container/spaceship thing? They're smaller than focus/evade tokens.

Basically just Veteran Instincts instead of Lone Wolf. But then you will have to bid for initiative

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Mara Jade on the Kenkirk Dauntless, along with Engine upgrade to slam into dudes more readily and get bonus actions off the slam is pretty legit. With Mara Jade when you run into guys your stress is going to lock them out of whatever manuevers they need to not hit you again while shooting.

You can't boost if you would end up bumping another ship.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

So my Decimator's female peg end is loose as heck. Any time I pick it up it comes off the peg. It's annoying to have to pick it up by the base when it may be surrounded by enemy ships. Anyone tried to tighten their peg hole up? (:heysexy:) I have no idea where to start aside from gluing a peg into it, which I don't want to do.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5046

Well I suppose it was just a matter of time before they gave out acrylic focus tokens again :smith:

Edit: VVV mhmm

alg fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 11, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Rebel Aces will finally be out next week :getin:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

S&V will be out Q4, so think December. Decimator is Q3, but doesn't look like it will be this month.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

This holds both my epic ships and has a ton of room for any new ones that come out:

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-in-x-13-in-Aluminum-Case-69318.html

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Why not use spoiler tags in a thread that isn't the Star Wars episode 7 thread, like the dude who originally posted the leaks

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

I'm going to a 110 point tournament later tonight, and I'm having trouble choosing between these two lists:

Han - with Falcon title, and 3P0
Wedge
Ten Numb

or

Chewie - with Falcon title, Draw Their Fire, and 3P0
Wedge - with Swarm Tactics
Ten Numb - with Veteran Instincts

Both lists come out to 110 points exactly, which means I probably won't ever have initiative, but I feel like the high pilot skill will make up for that. The first list feels more aggressive, and the lack of things like ST and Draw Their Fire means that they can spread out if need be. The second list offers a lot of synergy between the ships, and Chewie can make the already durable B-wing even more durable with Draw Their Fire, but they'll need to stay close to each other, and I always have a hard time not bumping my own ships when I try to fly in formation. Thoughts?

I would take that first list and rejigger it:

Han Solo (46)
Veteran Instincts (1)
C-3PO (3)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Predator (3)

Dagger Squadron Pilot (24)
Advanced Sensors (3)

Total: 110

This way, you are at 110, you cover Whisper with Han, and Wedge is re-rolling some dice. Ten Numb is way overpriced, the Dagger with Advanced Sensors is super solid.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I don't know if this is true across the board, but my FLGS said they are only getting a small allotment of Rebel Aces. Might be worth checking with your FLGS to make sure they will have a copy for y'all.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

That's really good. One of the stores I play at recently found a collection of previous year's gear they haven't used yet. It is a good way to catch up with nice promos that are often used. Wedge, oversized Han, and old tokens are nice even though we're getting new focus variants this winter. I'm up to 5 shield bags which I'll be selling for the next several waves. :3:

In other news, I'm almost done painting my destruction of Alderaan mural on top of my falcon. What should I paint on the bottom just as a sweet Easter egg/ falcon destroyed bonus? I'm not that great at freehand but should be able to make simple designs.

arghh we started doing "casual" leagues (raffle tickets based on games played/won) at my store. shields are the only thing I don't have, I played a ton of games and got raffle tickets in there, 4 bags of shield tokens went out to new players when they did the drawing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

smashthedean posted:

Heading to my first out of town tournament today and I'm thinking I'll bring

[44] Whisper + VI + FCS + Gunner + Advanced Cloak
[37] Soontir Fel + PtL + Stealth + Royal Guard + Shield
[18] Scimitar Squadron Pilot + Seismic Charges

I know I'm spending a lot on the two elite pilots, but I really wanted the decked out Whisper and at least a 33 point Soontir with PtL and Stealth, but that left me a weird 23 points to fit something in at. Rather than take crappy baby Interceptor or one of the named Fighters, I figured a cheap Bomber and a more survivable Soontir would be a better idea. I could have always done a Lambda, but they aren't really my style and I don't want to copy the Nationals winner list too closely. Wish me luck!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

What's the general consensus about the Jan Ors co-pilot ability. Can she convert a focus token into an evade token on the ship she's in? The card says "a friendly ship within range 1-3" not "another friendly ship". Which raises a bigger question, is a ship considered "within range 1" of itself?

My knee jerk response to both of these is no, but I could see someone trying to make the argument that because it doesn't specify "another friendly ship" it can be used on the ship she's in.

For me, Lone Wolf kind of solves this:

If you were within 1 of yourself, you would never get to use it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Jake is pretty neat but it quickly becomes obvious how much better Soontir is with only 2 attack dice

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5107

Bomb upgrade for Y-wings, meh. Most of the stuff is scum only :/

alg
Mar 14, 2007

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Rules Questions as I prep for my first tourney!

If I take Roark Garnet, then use him on pilot A with swarm tactics, and then pilot A uses swarm tactics on pilot Y, Is pilot Y's skill now 12 or Pilot A's original skill level?

quote:

Also if a ship with shields is hit by an Ion turret, does it still count even if the ship only loses a shield or does it need to take actual damage for the ion effect to happen?

Thanks!

It still counts if it lost only a shield.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I've not seen a decent way of organizing upgrade cards. Pilot cards go in a small ultra pro binder.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

All my cards, pilot and upgrade, are sleeved and are in Ultra Pro 9-pocket pages. Upgrade cards fit perfectly 2 to a pocket sideways.

Yeah when I try this they slide around :/

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The TIE swarm is still the best way to go for Imperials, especially as a new player. They're great because they mitigate the effects of manoeuvring mistakes and of losing ships - each TIE only has 2 attack and 3 hull (which is bad), but they also have 3 defence (this is great) and there's 7-8 of them which makes for a respectable number of attack dice, and losing one TIE only means you've lost one seventh/eighth of your offensive power.

The best tip I can give you for formation flying is to deploy in blocks of four in a staggered two-line formation with half a ship base between every fighter, (like so), that way you have the spacing you need to not bump when all your ships make the same turn.

The only thing that comes close to a TIE swarm in terms of effectiveness is a Phantom list, but that's a lot harder to fly (because it's a list with a small number of highly agile ships that really need their actions to survive and deal damage, so bumping once is usually fatal). There are some people who will argue a Phantom list is actually better once you know how to fly it, but that's meta dependent (mine has a lot of high PS turrets).

Sadly, Imperials don't have nearly as many good options as Rebels, especially now that Rebel Aces is out. :(

Interceptors are pretty seriously over-costed (Soontir Fel is nice, but he's exceedingly fragile and very expensive and strictly worse than Tycho), Bombers are so situational you don't want to fly one in a "serious" list (but that's because they're ordnance platforms) and the Advanced x1 is a bad ship with one good pilot (Vader). The Defender is nice, but it's expensive enough that you can't easily run more than one, and it has very few options (unlike the Rebel B-wing, which is probably the closest fighter to it in terms of role), plus it's butt-ugly. :colbert:

As far as large ships go, the Shuttle is very interesting but pretty odd and requires a bunch of upgrades from other packs to be good (not an issue if you're proxying at home), and the Firespray is a good ship that comes with good upgrade cards, but neither really hold a candle to YT-1300 in terms of power or customisation options.

At least they've said Interceptors and the Advanced are due some buffs in the future, but in the meantime Rebels are way more fun to build lists for and to fly.

This is kind of an insane post. TIE Swarm isn't really the "best" way to go for Imperials, especially as a new player. It is expensive and requires a lot of practice. Soontir Fel is one of the, if not the best, pilots in the game, and at 27 points is a steal. Pilot skill is huge now and he is one of the best, with a great ability, a great dial, barrel roll and boost, 3 defense dice and 3 attack dice. Calling him worse than Tycho is just :psyduck: Saying Interceptors are over-costed...Royal Guard Pilots are one of the best values in the game.

Naked shuttles like Yorr work great now after the Phantom joined the game. Even a Shuttle with Vader aboard is a great use of points. YT-1300 has a ton of options, just like the Decimator.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Tycho easily has more pilot skill than Fel, because he can always use that second EPT to get VI, pushing him up to 10 PS. Since Fel needs to get PtL, it means that Tycho post Rebel Aces will always have more PS on a Fel. And if getting to PS 10 isn't important for the Tycho player, he can always get another EPT rather than VI. A Tycho with Chaardan, VI and PtL will set you back 28 over 30 points for a Fel with PtL.

In terms of difference between them, you have 2 shields/2 hull vs 3 hull (shield is much better than hull on all accounts, for a start), same dial but 5 green on the A-wing, Fel having a comparable ability to Tycho (EI will make Tycho a whole lot better because he can forget about the stress action economy), either higher PS or more flexibility on EPT on Tycho, 3 attack dice over 2 for the A-wing (this is a considerable advantage though) and the ability to barrel roll for the intie (a considerable advantage for the tie interceptor), the A-wing having a targeting computer (a considerable advantage, although this can be circumvented for two additional points on the intie) and the fact that the intie can take two modifications (although this does increase the cost).

So really, the only advantages that Fel has over Tycho is the barrel roll and 3 attack dice, but with the disadvantages of less overall hitpoints (and having only hull), a insignificantly worse dial and either lower PS or less flexibility on EPTs.

If you compare to Jake Farrell to Fel, you have the same PS (if you take VI) and you remove the advantage of barrel rolling that the Intie has over the a-wing, for 26 over 30 points.

I think most of the inties that can take PtL are priced correctly, but any that can't I would agree are overcosted. There is no real reason to buy low PS inties or take any of the named pilots that don't have EPT.

I think you are undervaluing the extra attack die and barrel roll, but even when you compare a Prototype Pilot (15 points with Chardaan Refit) to an Alpha Squadron Pilot (18 pts) calling them over-costed is sort of silly. Is there a reason to take them? Probably not, but there are other Interceptor pilots worth taking, unlike say, Y-Wings, or all named B-Wing pilots outside of Keyan Fartlander. Talk about overcosted, look at Ten Numb.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Tekopo posted:

And I think you are undervaluing 2 shields/2 hull over 3 hull, or the ability to have two EPTs over just having one, especially with EI coming out soon. Like, I don't think I am undervaluing the 3 attack dice/ barrel roll for high PS inties, but for low one, would you really take an 18 point intie over a 12 point academy pilot?

It may be the prevalence of HLC in my meta (or that nobody plays Etahn Abaht). Cancelling one (perhaps two) possible crits isn't as valuable to me as firing with an extra die every time, especially with superior arc dodging.

quote:

I think if there is no situation in which you would take one ship over another, that ship can be considered overcosted. The A-wing was certainly overcosted, hence why they brought out chaardan refit.

This isn't as big a deal as it seems, though. This is true of every ship in the game. Who would ever take a Knave Squadron Pilot over a Rookie Pilot, even with Knave's barrel roll?

quote:

Also, I mentioned that I think that intie pilots with EPT are fine, which are all the ones which you probably mentioned are worth taking. Saying that Y-Wings aren't worth taking is like saying Bombers aren't worth taking, which is not what I am arguing here.

Interceptors have more options, though. Y-Wings pretty much just have Gold Squadron Pilot, which was what I was getting at.

quote:

I can see why Ten Numb is overcosted though, although only in comparison to Farlander: two points for a shittier ability and only one more PS is a crappy deal, I agree.

EDIT: Also the barrel roll advantage is removed on Tycho if you take expert handling/EI on Tycho, although I guess by that point being 32 points might not be worth it, or just flying Jake, a pilot that has the ability to do three actions per turn much like Fel , has the same PS as Fel (if you take VI) and has barrel rolls, for 4 points less (i've included VI in this).

I think the driving point here is that some of the pilots in Rebel Aces are extremely good.

Jake is definitely a cool pilot, but without Expose/PTL I doubt I would fly him again. Maybe Predator or Outmaneuver, I guess. The 2 attack dice has been crippling in every game I've flown him.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Really, the problem is crits. They're a loving atrocious mechanic, and I'm convinced FFG didn't really understand the impact they have on the game when they costed some of the earlier ships. If they got dropped entirely or at least were cancellable first, the game would be even better.

There are already ways to mitigate crits. Dropping or cancelling them first would require a complete overhaul of the game's balance and the points of every existing ship. Crits help reflect the nature of space combat. Just dealing each other damage cards would be boring as hell.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Soontir Fel with two EPTs :shepicide:

Whatever they do to "fix" Interceptors they are going to have to weigh against Fel.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I finally found a card protector that can fit my large Han card so in a couple months I will actually have Harrison ford inside the falcon.

you gotta link that

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's what they should have done with Chardaan Refit and Test Pilot - just barred anyone over PS6 from taking them.

What's your beef with a-wings dude

do you just want people to never use them

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It would be boring as heck. They've said they want to keep ships different.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

New FAQ: http://fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support/faq/X-Wing-FAQ-low-res.pdf

Free Actions can trigger Push the Limit and interrupt other actions. They re-worded Lone Wolf so that Jan Ors works on a ship she is a crew member of.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

I suspect that autoblaster is still a bad card, but I kind of want to shred a fat Han with some uncancelable hits now that now that evade tokens and Threepio add dice results.

If it were 2 points it would be totally useable. :smith:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

In what world does "different" mean "two mod slots and two EPT slots are both worth 0 points?" There's no way that the Royal Guard title and Test Pilot are equal.

I don't really know what this post means, but the post I replied to was suggesting giving the test pilot to TIE Interceptors straight up. Which would mean they aren't different.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I think he meant Jake Farrel dude

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So dumb question but me and my friend are wondering if their is a list where the bwing works better? Every game me or him have run it in we both have found it gets killed very quickly.

Chewbacca (42)
C-3PO (3)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Advanced Sensors (3)

Advanced Sensors (3)

Total: 100

alg
Mar 14, 2007

:sigh:

Finally something for Rebels :woop:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5138

alg fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 20, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If the A4 is a title card, why the hell does the stock Y-wing not have a crew slot, FFG? :colbert:

Because B-Wings...and Phantoms :smith:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

They can already use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It's possible to play X-Wing casually but Soontir Fel is still the best pilot in the game. Definitely worth a pick up.

• Locked thread