Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well it's a newer model of shop. Which of course means it's less chunky, more sleek. It's so futuristic, CEC wanted to chrome plate it, but was afraid the Nubian shipyards would sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

signalnoise posted:

Seriously though, looking at the Millennium Falcon with how big it is has me reconsidering not buying the transport and the Tantive

The transport is manageably big. Like, it's impressive in its table presence and solidarity. The Tantive is just ridiculously huge. It's stupidly cool and I don't regret buying it, but I'll never be able to use it on my kitchen table games. Maybe I'll drag it to the FLGS game night sometime though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

signalnoise posted:

I don't know if anyone cares, but I recently discovered that the mini-sized cards for this game, in Fantasy Flight mini sleeves, fit perfectly in a deck box if you put them in wrong.

You may have just solved my Eldritch Horror storage issues.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JumpyMonky posted:

Here is FFG's info page on the custom mission creator. Could be pretty interested!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5021

Oh I'm stupidly okay with this. I keep meaning to do some manner of "campaign play", and this will help a lot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ville Valo posted:

Apparently, my Damage Decks were all shuffled together into one big pile at some point. That was fun to separate. :(

I keep my 2 decks in completely separate compartments of my Plano for just that reason.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ville Valo posted:

Started playing the Tantive IV campaign tonight. If I understood the rules for using it correctly, it can never shoot directly behind itself, even with the turret primary, because that'd cross the blue line on the base? How was it firing at the Star Destroyer in the opening scene of A New Hope, then?!

The Tantive capture was an inside job! :tinfoil:

jivjov fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 7, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

How have I never seen this before? Thanks!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SageNytell posted:

One of these days I'm going to drat the rules and run a Wraith Squadron wing of X-Wings and Interceptors and I will have a great goddamned time.

I understand balance and keeping factions distinct but I would sell an organ to get a Wraith Squadron expansion, and I'll never have the chance because I'm pretty sure the Allston estate wouldn't ok it even if FFG asked. :(

I doubt the Allston estate would have a say. Those books were written under contract and everything in them belongs to Lucas Licensing and now Disney.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CODChimera posted:

Has it been confirmed that they are actually going to restock on ships?

Are you asking about a specific store? Or in general is FFG going to keep reprinting ships? To the latter, the answer is yes. FFG is super good about reprinting stuff forever, as long as its selling.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CODChimera posted:

Do the Tantive and the Rebel Transport not actually move around the board?

They do; they get their own weird and fancy movement ruler thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shockeh posted:

Cross-postin' from the Cinema Thread:
I feel the urge to do my Rebel repaints as this now, knowing it'll be official eventually!

Spoilered in case anyone cares about fly-over photos from the Episode VII set, sorry about large but the timg tag doesn't play nicely with the spoiler one:

Be. Still. My. Heart.

Seriously, I'm trying to temper my expectations for the sequels, but then you go and post this for me to drool over...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

I've not seen a decent way of organizing upgrade cards. Pilot cards go in a small ultra pro binder.

All my cards, pilot and upgrade, are sleeved and are in Ultra Pro 9-pocket pages. Upgrade cards fit perfectly 2 to a pocket sideways.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Yeah when I try this they slide around :/

Do you have them sleeved? I had the same problem until I got them all in the yellow FFG sleeves. I still will occasionally have one work its way loose if I pick up the binder upside down accidently, but they stay pretty secure otherwise.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Soulex posted:

Was this [....] Close to buying a falcon, 2 xwings, a y wing and two ties for like 70 bucks today.

That's not a bad price and you should have jumped on it. MSRP on that would be over $100.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Won't help you in sanctioned play; but my friends and I have a gentlemans' agreement that if we forget to assign an action, its assumed to be a Focus.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm confused about the level of attention given to the beer. I mean, when I play X-Wing, no food or beverage is allowed at the table at all, but are people seriously getting hung up that an X-Wing player may have imbibed an alcoholic beverage during a match?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've never been to a game store that regularly charged under MSRP. That's been kinda the hallmark of brick and mortar locations, you're stuck paying MSRP instead of getting deep discounts, but you're supporting a small business, supporting a play space, and don't have to wait for shipping.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

enri posted:

Kinda relevant, posted tonight on the UK/EIRE X-wing facebook group...

Just looking at that is making me very very uncomfortable.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chill la Chill posted:

Is it the unsleeved cards or the choice of mat that makes it even more slippery?

I can live with unsleeved cards..I still haven't sleeved my Star Wars LCG collection

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
As someone who's volunteered at a food bank, my suggestion is to just grab a variety of stuff. Don't buy a case of corn (as convenient as that is, just picking up a still-wrapped case from a grocery store), bring like 3 cans of corn, 3 green beans, 3 peas, etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, the Raider is a completely original ship. FFG has just managed to add to the (presumably Legends) EU, and that's pretty cool.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

They worked with Lucasfilm Ltd., and it's coming out post Canon purge. Does that make it not Legends?

I think its "safer" to assume anything from FFG is Legends until specified otherwise. There hasn't been any official announcement on whether or not FFG's stuff is Legends or Story Group/Disney Canon, but so much of their source material is Legends only. All the pilot names that aren't film characters, all of Wave 4 and a bunch of Wave 5 are Legends ships, etc. I think it'd be amazing if the Raider was Story Group Canon and popped up in a novel or comic somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chill la Chill posted:

It's not in a movie. It's not a big deal if it's Legends. 99% of the EU is bad and not canon so I don't understand why people got upset when the already unofficial EU was rebranded. It wasn't demoted in canon lore or anything.

Well it kinda was demoted. It literally is no longer canon anymore. The only things that are canon now are the 6 films, the Clone Wars, Rebels, and two novels that have come out so far.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Strobe posted:

Well, strictly speaking, it's not "no longer canon" it's "when contradicted the old EU is wrong".

That's not how the agreement worked at all. Everything got jettisoned other than the handful of sources I listed. None of he old EU (now called Legends) is canon at all, even if it never gets contradicted. One can make the argument "if it doesn't get contradicted, it can still count", and that's all well and good, but it isn't how things actually went down.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chill la Chill posted:

EU was never canon. It was just a way for Lucas to get licensing fees. The movies were only ever the only canon and the line between Infinities and EU was thin if not nonexistent. I guess you could say that they were all demoted to Infinities. Practically speaking when you spoke to someone about it there was some implicit understanding that you were already talking about what-if scenarios. At least in my experience. Nobody ever treated it as gospel. I suppose it's like the apocrypha and how Catholics vs Protestants treat it.

The old EU totally had an entire hierarchy of canon. Sure the films trumped everything, but there was a whole canon arrangement.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

So I'm thinking of getting into this rad looking game but is the Falcon a ship that I'm really going to want but will be super hard to find and when I do find it will it be stupid expensive?

There's another production run of Falcons coming soon

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

signalnoise posted:

Got the wave 5 ships for crimmus and drat is the decimator huge

Yeah, it's priced $10 higher than the YT-2400. It's gigantic. I need to get around to buying wave 5 soon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man...i am SO HAPPY I'm starting a new job in January that will have me on a real-person work schedule. Lately I've been working evening shifts, which means I can never go play X-Wing at the FLGS. My ships haven't seen the table in weeks, I still only have 1 each of Wave 4, haven't bought either of Wave 5...had to dust off my Plano case when i moved it today...but when the new job starts, I'll actually be able to go play X-Wing after work! Build and fly some new lists! Maybe put the Tantive on the table!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I have zero regrets about the amount of cash I've sunk into X-Wing stuff. Even if I don't get to play as often as I like, I'm getting really nifty little Star Wars ship models and I can always set them up on a shelf or something to look cool.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

It to not look like it came right out of some lovely EU-based fan fic?

That said, I don't hate it as much as I think there could have been a better choice.

The Raidier is literally FFG fan-fic. Its not even from an established EU source.

Personally, I'm really ambivalent about it. I don't hate it, I'm not enthused by it. I'll get one though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

That reminds me, I love the E-wing on paper but it's a shame the actual model can't hold up to the iconic trilogy ships. I was pretty active in the FreeSpace Open community and they had a great-looking Star Wars mod in the works. One of their modelers touched up the E-wing just a bit, elongating the nose and cranking the wings to give it a more aggressive profile. I kinda wish FFG had done something similar:

I still have no idea how you're supposed to get out of that cockpit, the laser really should go on the nose.

e: versus the original, pretty much what we've got:

I'm pretty sure that one of FFG's RPG supplements mentions that the cannon has to be removed for the pilot to enter or exit the craft.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Yeah, I mentioned it in Stay On Target. There are some weird design decisions on the E-wing.

Also, that's an awful picture. The fuselage is all rusty with chipped, peeling paint, and that starboard engine you can see in the background is all shiny and clean.

I dunno, that could just mean that that engine got too rusty and lovely to function and was replaced with a new one, but the rest of the ship is still crusty.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My cards for x-wing are all sleeved and the kept in 9-pocket pages in a binder. The upgrade cards fit nicely two-to-a-slot, but it can be a bitch to get the bottom one out, so I never double up two different cards, only duplicates.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tekopo posted:

Official X-Wing playing mats from FFG. They'll probably be more expensive than other alternatives.

Ah yes, I can put these right next to the X-Wing tile sets.....oh wait.

EDIT: Oh man, I didn't even notice those things get mentioned in the article.

FFG posted:

What Happened to the X-Wing Starfield Game Tile Kit?

After extensive testing, we have determined that the Starfield Game Tile Kit is no longer the best option for an X-Wing play surface. The X-Wing Playmats will replace the Starfield Game Tile Kit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I love how "extensive" testing was required to determine "hmmm, an set of tiles that don't snap together in any way...maybe not the best idea"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

Speaking of Jek Porkins, it annoys me greatly that in order to get his pilot card I need to shell out for a big ugly transport that I'll probably never end up using and hardly have storage space for.

If you want, I'd be willing to work out some kind of split-up deal with you. I have an insane need to get 3 Transports in order to run that one mission from the manual, but have no real need for a 5th X-Wing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

Sure. If you accept PayPal and can ship things internationally since I'm from Canadia, then I'd be down for working something out for whatever you don't need in that set.

Eesh...I don't like messing with international shipping...but if and when I end up getting a 2nd Transport, I'll shoot you a message

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

I used to live in KC ( now in NC) but in the 2+ years this game has been going I haven't heard ANYTHING about x-wing there. Where do you guys even play? Did anyone go to Worlds? I didn't overhear anyone talking about KC/K or KC/MO.

Speaking of KC X-Wing stuff, there's a pretty healthy community at Pulp Fiction in Lee's Summit. Until recently I worked evenings/nights so I never got to go play, but there's at least 6-8 guys that play there, plus bigger turnouts for stuff like the Kessel Run and the like

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Strobe posted:

This means my strategy and list for the tournament in Olathe on the 28th has changed radically. New list:

Tried to PM you; but apparently you aren't allowing those?

Anyway, I'm in the KC Metro...what game store are you going to be at? I have Saturdays off, so I may come get my rear end kicked by people who play more than I get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Strobe posted:

Not allowing? Weird. Didn't know I need to configure that.

Collector's Cache in Olathe. February 28th.

Oh nice; I've been there a couple times. Most recently was for an event in which the objective was to land on and mine a giant asteroid in the center of the table.

• Locked thread