Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Friends don't let friends buy battlefoam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

jivjov posted:

Do they have a bad reputation or something? Or too expensive?

I just need something I can keep all these plastic ships in, especially when Waves 5 and 6 hit.

Which means I really need to wait to order this stuff until Wave 5 hits and I can have a slot for the YT-2400 on there.

The owner and therefore the company have a terrible reputation. The bags are fine, but the maker is an absolute douche. A short list of things:

Withholding promised prize support from a con because other bag manufacturers product was allowed to be sold at the con.
Threatening his dissenters with physical violence.
Making some ones mother cry at a con after he berated her and her son for some trifling poo poo.
Legal threats to his competitors for infringing on his intellectual property, because apparently he invented laser cut foam for bags.:rolleyes:

Romeo Filip is a oval office (and I use that word advisedly).

http://www.popehat.com/2013/05/02/battlefoam-learns-why-legal-threats-can-be-dangerous/

E: Just search "romeo filip battlefoam" 3 of the first 4 results are articles about him being a jackass.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Is there a full list of all cards and what set they come from? Or better yet images of the cards?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If anyone's interested, here are the squad lists for the Top 4:

Winner, Rick Sidebotham: Whisper + Advanced Cloaking Device + Veteran Instincts + Fire Control System + Gunner; Soontir Fel + Push the Limit; Captain Yorr

2nd place, Jeff Beerling: Lando + Han Solo (crew) + Nien Nunb + Draw Their Fire; Chewbacca + R2-D2 (crew) + C-3P0 + Draw Their Fire + Millennium Falcon

Paul Heaver (lost to Jeff): Han Solo + C-3P0 + Millennium Falcon + Luke Skywalker + Veteran Instincts + Engine Upgrade; Biggs; Tala Squadron Pilot

Nick Jones (lost to Rick): Howlrunner + Push the Limit; 6x Obsidian Squadron Pilot

Help a newbie out, as for actual models the lists are thus:

Rick Sidebotham- TIE Phantom, TIE Interceptor, Lambda Shuttle
Jeff Beerling- YT-1300, YT-1300
Paul Heaver- YT-1300, X-Wing, Z95 Headhunter
Nick Jones- TIE Fighter (multiplied by 7)

Plus a butt-load of upgrade cards depending on the list.

Correct?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Played my Garven, Dutch, Hobbie Target Lock build in a tournament over the weekend. Ended up with 14 people; pretty good turnout considering it was our first X-Wing event!

Game 1 vs Fell, Whisper and Doom Shuttle
Lost 0 to 100
While I nearly destroyed all of his ships, and Hobbie did good work Stressing Soontir and Whisper, he out-flew me and I couldn't close finish anyone off. At least he only got to use Darth Vader once.
Highlight of the Match: Missing the Ion Turret roll that would have given Soontir a second damage and put him on an Asteroid, probably destroying him.

Game 2 vs [url="http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v3!s!75:56,36,-1,3:-1:3:;44:43,-1,58,-1:-1:-1:;44:43,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:"]Corran and two B-Wings[/url]
Won 52 to 32
Managed to focus fire on one B-Wing to destroy it right off the bat. Corran then flew off and didn't have any shots for several turns, and I managed to kill his other B-Wing. After that, he couldn't keep up with my damage, though I couldn't kill off Corran because of R2-D2.
Highlight of the Match: Flubbed up my Formation, bumping Garven into a B-Wing and landing on an Asteroid, causing Hobbie to bump into Garven and be on the Asteroid as well.

Game 3 vs Ten Numb, Roark, Luke, and a Tala
Lost 28 to 100
Completely misjudged where his ships were going, and he managed to kill Hobbie turn 2. While I eventually managed to kill Luke, I couldn't get any good shots with Garven, and Roark's Blaster Turret just shredded everyone.
Highlight of the Match: Killing Luke at Range 3 with Garven with 3 hits and no evades on Luke's part.

Game 4 vs Fel, Carnor, and Whisper
Won 100 to 0
We closed up Turn 1, but I managed to pop both Stealth Devices off with Torpedos. I then stayed in formation and focus-fired each of his ships down in turn. Carnor was annoying, but I got it to work with Target Locks.
Highlight of the Match: After chewing through Whisper's Shields, killing her off with a Direct Hit.

Overall, pretty pleased with how it worked, though I need to work on my maneuvering more. Hobbie especially was pretty awesome for giving out Stress everywhere. Deadeye on Garven pretty much guaranteed I'd pass off his Focus when I used the Torpedos, but I don't think it did enough compared to a R7 Astromech, so I'll probably switch that back. I think I'll also get rid of the Munitions Failsafes, as I used one all day. Maybe I'll give Garven a better EPT with the extra points or replace Hobbie with Jek Porkins or Wes Janson. Should be fun!

If making this post wasn't too much effort I'd love to see this format become the standard. The acronyms and cute list names people use can be mighty confusing for newbies.

Edit:

Chill la Chill posted:

As much as I miss the squint swarm, I think it's effectively been replaced by the phantom swarm. That extra die is really good and they more or less fly like x-wings after decloaking so it's not too bad.

Case in point.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 8, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

alg posted:

So my Decimator's female peg end is loose as heck. Any time I pick it up it comes off the peg. It's annoying to have to pick it up by the base when it may be surrounded by enemy ships. Anyone tried to tighten their peg hole up? (:heysexy:) I have no idea where to start aside from gluing a peg into it, which I don't want to do.

Blue tack should work and it is reversible and non-destructive.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Any rumors on when restocks are expected in the US? I don't like the idea of paying $50 for a Falcon on eBay rather than $20 from CSI.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

he1ixx posted:

A guy I work with has fallen down this rabbit hole DEEP. I've been feeding him a steady diet of goon knowledge which has helped him out a lot but today he stopped by and asked "What kind of case should I buy to store epic level ships like the Tantive and Rebel ship?". I said I'd ask the experts.. Experts, please advise?

Look up non-Plano storage on bgg. It's a Stanley case that the one guy uses. There may be better options but it looked pretty good.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

he1ixx posted:

I'll relay the info. I got a text from him last night. "Tantive acquired".

Found the page in question

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/943758/my-non-plano-storage-solution-now-storing-epic-shi

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Look at this jerk hogging all the Decimators

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

A little more drool fodder.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

susan posted:

I gotta be honest; I don't really get why people are going crazy over the leaked SW set pictures. Internet: "Click here to see what the Millenium Falcon looks like on the set of the new movies!" Me: "Wow, it looks... like the Millenium Falcon. It looks like it's always looked. Is it supposed to look different? No? Well then... good."

People are hyped that it is a set, not a cgi creation. It speaks of someone who gives a poo poo and might make something worth watching.

Plus nerds are nerds and they love behind the scenes poo poo, no matter how benal.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

You can learn with the core set, but grabbing an extra Tie Fighter and X-Wing wouldn't be a bad idea.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Moriatti posted:

So is there a way to get the Millenium Falcon anywhere close to it's original price or...?

Wait for the restock, until then proxy.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

alg posted:

Holy poo poo the "fortressing" scandal on the official forums. Loving the meltdowns. I can't believe how loving crazy the community for this game is.

Anyone care to summarize "fortressing" and save me reading 27 pages of reading?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Wow. I guess playing to win is a valid strategy, but is that ever boring and unsportsmanlike.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

...But if the Imp player just flew back and forth for the whole round, he just wins from having initiative, right?

Yup, which is what made the Rebel player finally break out and attack with 5 minutes left in the game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Well the fortress was right, he did become famous. Famous for being a giant prick. Good job you mega-wanker.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I probably have a core set, a Lambda Shuttle, and a Tie Advanced for sale (possibly more) I got a lot of X-wing second hand and I'm still figuring out what to keep and what to shift.

Any chance you'd want to buy in?

E: And a Phantom. Dammit I need to sit down and figure this junk out.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

A lot of Decimator talk but no opinions on the YT-2400?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Any good places to find lists built based on what I already own?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/198652

Tantive for $50, add $50 more get free shipping.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

These are all great points, and I agree 100%, thanks. I'll need a crap load of tokens anyway as I am super good at rolling terribly.

Double check that they "qualify" for the purpose of the tournament, but jars of baby food are gold to most food banks. Tokens and a solid donation, win-win.

E: Or at least do this. Just don't be an rear end in a top hat and bring your cupboard leftovers. AKA pumpkin filling and water chestnuts.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 10, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh God yes, I need a Falcon so bad.

Lucky for you they should be back in stock 60-90 days from now as wave 6 and reprints of the Falcon and Slave 1 have officially been packed on the boat heading out from China.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I got a Lambda today. The paint job feels really cheap compared to the other ships, and the articulated wings are poo poo. Looks good from a distance though.

I don't care for its "cow" look either. Mine is getting a dark grey paint job in the near future.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Moola posted:

Probably gonna try and put some skull transfers on my friend's 'Death Curse' Tie Fighter tomorrow.

Any advise on putting transfers on these models???

Use micro sol and micro set. If you don't the transfers won't stand a chance of conforming to the shapes on the hull.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

I was totally hyped for Armada until I saw the price point, and then decided, eh, I'm already invested into X-Wing, I don't need a different game that does mostly the same thing.

I doubt I'm the only one.

Price might be a consideration, but for me dog fighting using fast space ships is more interesting than slow naval battles using Capital Ships. Though it seems I'm growing more and more interested in skirmish level games over full army scaled giant sized combat in general so there is that to consider I suppose...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Moola posted:

Can anyone suggest like the CHEAPEST most budget x-Wing mat?

I remember someone mentioning a yoga mat or something?

http://www.joann.com/glitter-felt-/prd23482.html

In black.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Munitions aren't that great. Weapon upgrades are better but are on the fence about cost efficiency. Usually you want either high PS or low PS - 3-6PS are effectively low PS. Don't worry too much about bidding for the initiative.

E: Han breaks all the rules. :cool: I would argue his support ships are just decent enough to not count it in the eggs in one basket rule.

I keep forgetting to ask; can you post pics of all your custom paint X-Wing minis? TIA

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Anybody know where I can get a space play mat without breaking the bank? Most places I look, it's like $40 for a 3'x3' piece of vinyl.

Cheapest option going is Glitter Felt and don't forget your coupon for 30%-40% off on any given week. Admittedly mine isn't great but for $5 you'd be hard pressed to find better. As for more expensive ones, I have no clue.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm new and kind of nervous about buying new ships. Is the game fairly balanced right now or are there ships you *have* to have?

Whichever ones you want. Unless you are going to entering sanctioned events, just buy what you like to start and then get sucked into the vortex of 2-4 of every ship later

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Greyish Orange posted:

So I'm looking to get into this whole thing, is it still reccomended that two starter boxes is the way to go?

It is helpful but not essential. If you have he budget, go for it. If you are a little tight get one core and a couple of ships. Odds are once the fever sets in you will buy two of everything you can lay your hands on, but that is weeks away. :shepspends:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

It there a go to painting guide for x-wing? I've looked around but most are not that good.

I primed my Lambda Shuttle as I hate the Yacht look of the stock white ship and want to make a more military looking ship in dark grey.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Did you do anything to strip them, or just paint straight on top of the factory coat?

If you airbrush or use a rattle can sparingly, a primer coat over the factory paint job is fine, no stripping required.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I really want to make my crappy prototype A-Wing into a green squadron one, what would be the best result? Put masking tape and paint directly on the factory paint job?

What is your painting level? What painting stuff do you already own?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I can drybrush :v:

My painting level is pretty low to be honest, I do have a basecoat spray can, brushes and paints.

Mask, spray using light coats until it is dark enough for you.

Do you have acrylic washes or are you up for oil paint washing?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I have acrylic washes (I think, they are just the standard hobby stores shades, right?). So the idea would be to:

1. Mask everything I don't want to change colour of.
2. Spray paint using the colour I want (I only have white basecoat spray atm)
3. Shade using washes?

Yup.

If you don't have a spray green, you can brush on the paint you do have, but it will be many many coats and brushed paint has a better chance of creeping under your tape.

If you can use a friends airbrush set up, it will take you a few minutes to finish the painting. Or just buy a can of the green you do like.

The only additions you may add:

4. Touch up your paint job (if the wash makes the panels too muddy).
5. Seal with matte sealer.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Welp, I went and done it, prototype is getting repainted as we speak :suicide:

All errors can be fixed. The fix may be a real pain in the rear end, but nothing is unrecoverable.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh cool. Now I'm not the only one posting paint jobs here.

I have a Lambda to post after I oil wash and seal it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've just gotten dettol and successfully used it to strip other minis so I might give repainting my Firespray a shot.

I wouldn't bother. The factory paint jobs are so thin you can just go over them. Many painters have started stripping ships, but quickly gave up and just primed over the original paint.

• Locked thread