Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

alg posted:

edit: new faction :/

It was pretty much inevitable, wasn't it? I seem to recall it being discussed a while back in the old thread and that's pretty much where they have to go to keep spitting out ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

jivjov posted:

I was honestly expecting them to go prequel first, give us GAR and CIS factions with ships from the films. I'm surprised that the now-Legends EU is getting so much love from FFG still.

I suppose it's at least the same era so it makes sense from that perspective.

The again, it's much more fun to imagine that some proper star wars geek at FFG reacted poorly to the Ep7–9 news and went “EU is not canon, huh? Well gently caress you, I say the prequels are not canon, so there!” :haw:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 15, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Strobe posted:

I am very disappointed in this thread title. It needs to be "Never Not Roll Dice in a Galaxy Far, Far Away".

That would just invite endless “let the wookie win” jokes, tbh.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Strobe posted:

There's also Flechette Cannons, and something called a "Mangler" Cannon. I want oh so desperately to know what those do.

Perhaps a turret analogue to the flechette torpedoes? Spew stress all over the place.

…and so the Falcon vs. Phantom wars continue. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I just got my Falcon today and it's way bigger than I thought it'd be. Holy poo poo this game

Hook, line, and sinker. I hope you didn't have any special plans for your money. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

FuSchnick posted:

This actually happened last night. I am a nerd. (that TIE didn't get to celebrate his escape for very long)

You have a green one as well, I hope :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Strangely I was about to ask about this! So it's only landing on asteroids that prevent shooting AND your action. Just bumping into another ship loses your action, but you can still shoot at other guys are you that are still in range right? I guess that guy who has the ability to bump and still shoot makes sense now.

Conceptually, overlapping or touching anything means you are really flying above or below it, except that we play on table tops so that 3D part of the fight can't really be shown. If you are touching another ship, you are “really” above it and about to pass it, so obviously you can't shoot it (don't ask about the YT-1300's ventral turret… shhh!). If you are touching an asteroid, you are “really” trying to fly around it, so nothing on the board is even remotely on the same plane as your guns.

I don't know if that works as a memorisation rule, but it's the in-game logic for why the game is balanced that way. The mechanical reasons for why it's a fairly good idea are something completely different, of course. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

Playing Star Wars: TIE Fighter makes me just want to run TIE Fighters again.

Man, I'd forgotten how good the X-Wing/TIE-Fighter/XvT series of games were, and it runs like a dream on my current PC. It's not really nostalgia, but what happened?

Consoles and Eps1–3, to be honest… And perhaps the FPS:isation that started with Descent.

Everyone lost interest in the slightly more complex “action space sim” genre, Lucasart more than most since they had a new IP to squander, and Origin/DA following closely behind once they had resolutely gut-shot the Wing Commander franchise with that… thing… they released and tried to pass off as a film.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 31, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Uh, rogue squadron series was sweet and it was only due to the mismanaged funding or whatever that it stopped. There were some recent interviews from the developers and they would've kept making Internet space x-wings for people if they kept being paid for it and were actually allowed to finish.

Sure, but RS was also very much not the kind of fighter sim that X-Wing and TIE Fighter were, but rather distinctly console:y action games. The fast increasing popularity of that genre (and those platforms) over the complex PC sims was part of why the publishers didn't want to put more money into the old types of game.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You can't really say that anymore. Two of the biggest crowdfunding successes (including the biggest one ever, although I'm pretty sure that one is never going to come out) are sci-fi flight sims (Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen), and there's at least four upcoming indie ones: No Man's Sky, Enemy Starfighter, Limit Theory and EVE: Valkyrie.

On the other hand, it's rather telling that they had to be kickstarted to make it to the market. It'll be interesting to see if other publishers pick up on the interest and try to cash in.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

CelestialScribe posted:

I am super new to this and have some questions - if anybody feels like indulging my ignorance.

1. Do most people buy enough of either faction, or just end up focusing on one?

2. Are pilots specifically tied to a ship? Is it possible to use an A-Wing pilot for a B-Wing, for instance? (Stupid question, but just wanted to make sure).

3. Is there any point in buying the huge ships (Rebel Transport) for casual play or are they more of a tournament thing? They look super cool but dunno how useful they are if I'm never going to play a tournament.

4. I've read a lot about the rules but not a lot about actually setting up a game. Is there anywhere I can read about this? e.g. Constructing a side, how to calculate points by using cards most efficiently, etc.

Thanks :) I'm also glad to read it doesn't really matter what ships you buy as the game is fairly well balanced. Is this still the case?

1. Depends a bit on how you end up playing and with whom. If you're “the guy who owns the game” and have friends come over to play with your toys fight you, a bit of both ends up being the only viable (but very expensive) route. If you get more into the gaming club or competitive scene, focusing on a single faction is more viable.

2. They're inseparable. You pick a ship by picking the pilot. In some cases, specific individuals exist as separate crew positions on multi-crewed ships. You can play Luke as an X-Wing pilot and Luke as a gunner, for instance, but obviously not both at the same time.

3. Eh… they're brilliant shelf ornaments, and both come with some handy cards. If you're just playing casually, though, you can just proxy those cards. You can also use them as centre-pieces for some scenarios, just to get them off the shelf every now and then. Beyond that, no, it's more that tournament rules require you to own the actual cards (in which case, eBay).

4. No idea, tbh. All I can say here is that there are a couple of online squad builders that let you easily play around with various builds and try to squeeze as much fun out of your points. Presenting them here for comments and critique is probably one of the better ways to learn what works and what doesn't, if you don't have the time or opportunity to fully play-test them all.

As for the last point, yes, largely. There are some weak ships (*cough*tieadvanced*cough*) and some where the balance goes back and forth as new cards and expansions are released. If you're just playing casually, though, it doesn't matter much.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 2, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Vader's great, it's the Advanced that's bad, since it only has two attack dice and costs a ton of points. Fortunately, they've said they're going to release buffs for it, so he'll probably make a comeback (and maybe Maarek Stele won't be hot garbage).

Even in that ship, he's lots of fun, though.
Give him Expert Handling and Engine Upgrade — now you have blowing a third of your points budget on a ship that can travel in the most erratic ways imaginable and effectively do three actions per turn. It will also be blown up quickly, do no real good in the mean-time, and, oh yeah, I already said that it eats up a third of your points budget for doing so, right? :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Those wings actually fold/unfold like the Lambda's, too.

Unreliably and with a due sense of dread?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gumdrop Larry posted:

It seems like an issue that you could easily resolve with a ruling to the tune of "if two friendly ships remain deadlocked with each other for two turns in a row as a result of the maneuvers chosen by their controlling player then the next maneuver is chosen by the opponent;" Just something you can tuck away in a super technical, tournament-rules FAQ that'll be a non-factor to your average legitimate player.

That, or they introduce a ship that can only lay throw bombs at ranges 4–5, but not any closer . :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

That new scum Firespray does something pretty similar, at range 3

I suppose that's decent enough, since there's a bit of an area to it and with fancy flying you could just chip away at them without ever getting into range. I was thinking 4+ more for the sake of explicitly saying “yeah, you sit still, and I'll disassemble your squad without giving you the opportunity to shoot back”.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

Well, holistically speaking, the fortress tactic may only be relevant against the hyper-mobile TIE Phantom/Interceptor anyway, anything packing Assault Missiles or HLC's will still have an advantage, and ships like the Firespray can already fire backwards which nullifies a draw of the 'fortress', that is being able to get in a round of unanswerable shooting.

Fair point. I was looking too close at the fuckoffitude of the weapon itself to consider what ship would carry it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Neat. Well, except for having to find space to fit the Raider in — it looks to be the same size as the CR-90 and that one is already a bit too long for my shelves.

</gamer problems>

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also that's the most :ffg: fix possible: a 0-point title that gives you a 4 point discount on Systems upgrades and only comes in a huge ship. :rolleyes:

What? All they're doing is curing you of the strange possessive notions you hold towards the contents of your wallet. It's aaaaaaall gooood. *huffs space-coolaid*

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Still don't understand why some people are so hang-up on Thrawn. He's a Gary Stu if there ever was one.

He was ok in TIE Fighter.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tekopo posted:

As much as an alien who's a Vice Admiral in a racist, pro-human organisation can be 'ok'.

He told you to go out and blow up rebel scum, and provided some decent:ish ships to do so. What more could a pilot want? :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Moola posted:

Can't wait to sell off my warhams poo poo to fund a fleet.
That's going to be a huge fleet…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

overdesigned posted:

And now that there's an Imperial huge ship on the way, maybe epic play will finally be a thing!

Right guys?

guys?

:cawg:

Yeah, that would be fun. Get some use out of those pretty shelf ornaments.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The Sisko posted:

So among several belated Xmas gifts my girlfriend got me the Lamda shuttle and I was wondering what are some of the different tactics and setups you guys run with this ship?

I don't know… just fly casual.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Azran posted:

Any recommended purchases besides the Core Set if we're talking about two players playing against each other while trying to keep it relatively cheap?

Two core sets. No joke.
The two Aces packs are also good, not just because of the ships but because they come with some almost essential upgrades (as long as you don't just decide to proxy cards between friends).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Azran posted:

Knowing next to nothing about Star Wars lore beyond the movies, is 2 X-Wings vs 4 TIE Fighters remotely balanced? The standard distribution if 1 X-Wing/2 TIE Fighters in the original set looks pretty lovely as far as options go.

Both are awful as far as options and balance go. The thing about getting a second base set is that you get a lot for you money (the added maneuver templates alone are very handy, and you get more dice, which is always nice) and you are well on your way towards building both a proper TIE swarm and any of the very common builds that uses two X-Wings and something else. That's where something like the Aces packs come in.

You could arguably just buy a separate X-Wing, TIE, and a third ship instead and get the additional pilots and upgrades that come with those ships, but you're still not very likely to end up with something that's balanced — you'll need a fair amount of ships to get to the full 100pts on both sides, especially if you want some variety as well.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 9, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Is that a yes to there being small sleeves available for the damage deck and mod cards, then? Or do I just have to learn how to Google better?

They're standard 41×63mm “mini” cards, so there should be plenty of options available for them. FFG have their Yellow sleeves if you want to spend too much money, but I think almost every manufacturer offer something for that size. The other cards are 63×88mm and fit in “standard”/Grey sleeves.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

I thought "fly casual" was a good sentiment but a dumb thing to say until I was reminded that it was a dumb thing that was said in Return of the Jedi.

It's the only legitimate way to fly a shuttle. It really should be in the rules. :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tequila Ranger posted:

Hey, Hutt Shaming is NOT OK.

That's just because Hutts have no shame, so any attempt will just get you arrested by the pointless-boredom-police.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Commissar Canuck posted:

What is the recommended card sleeve sheet for the upgrade cards again? I know it was mentioned a couple weeks ago, but I forgot to write it down.

Tip: if you look at the back of pretty much any FFG product, they will show a number in a coloured square. This is the number of packs (each containing 50 cards) of that particular colour from FFG's own range that you need to sleeve everything in the box.

So the back of the base set, for instance, should say “Fantasy Flight Supplies, [ 1 ] (grey box) [ 1 ] (yellow box)”.

Of course, it'll still say you need 1 pack if there are just two cards in that size, and they come in 50-packs… so keep track of your left-overs. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

Porkins wasn't "stay on target" guy. That was some noname in a Y-Wing.

e: This is now canon as far as I'm concerned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBFwcidw6HM

Davish Krail, apparently.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The EU literally gave names and multi-page backstories to every single identifiable character that ever appeared on-screen or spoke a line (no matter how short or trivial to the plot) in any of the original trilogy. :v:

At least he gives some actual names to Gold Leader and Gold 2 before he blows up, even though they don't show up in the credits so there's always that. Then again, he gives Vander's name as “Hutch” when the canonical nickname is “Dutch”…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

To be fair, the only difficult targets in Tie Fighter were A-wings and Tie Defenders.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

True enough. Then again, there's a reason why the Missile Boat became a “lol, dream on” ship in every subsequent game of any genre.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Aren't all named pilots in the SWEU better than everyone?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

A-Wing supremacy. :yarr:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Endman posted:

He clips Vader for the same reason none of the X-Wings or Y-Wings evade the TIEs' shots in the trench. It's a full-speed flight through an extremely close environment where a minor twitch on the controls could splat you against the wall. Mauler twitched.

On the other hand, that just raises questions of why they were in the trench to begin with. The rebels hiding from the surface towers makes some (minute) sense, and Vader being down there to blow them up works too, especially since he wanted to killwhore a bit.

But why did they have to fly in a 10m wedge formation in the trench to cover him?

Well, aside from the whole inside job angle, of course.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Razzled posted:

The hand wave-y explanation would just be because they needed dudes in the trench in case the lead man missed the shot right? With so few fighters already, you can't really just bank on 1 dude

True enough. On rewatching it, I noticed that one of them actually does shoot down one of the wingmen from the second trench run, and damages Wedge during the third.

Another question is where the other four from the initial TIE wave go. You see six of them rolling in to pick Red Squadron apart, and Luke and Wedge kill 2 before everyone egresses (somehow) to a holding pattern and wait for Gold Squadron to be killed off by Vader.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 14, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Aramoro posted:

They're bad movies written by a bad writer, the movies he cribbed off didn't have any spacefights so he couldn't just copy what they did?

:monocle: :ssh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The TIE Lone Scout was excellent in the WEG Star Wars RPG (mainly because you could get it for free with some archetypes). :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

So if I want to jump in now, should I buy 2X of the new core, 1 of each, or what? I want Luke and the original ships, but I'll need 2 new decks for my wife and I. I'm going to have to buy 3 core sets aren't I? loving FFG.

Welcome to x-wing. :homebrew:

You don't really need two decks, though, unless you're going to run a tournament at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

jeeves posted:

The new X-Wing has a more 'hip futuristic (set in the distant past)' Wing design than the original, like how the engines look.

I'm curious if FFG just repainted the X-Wing or something.

The T-70 looks a lot like some of the original McQuarrie concept art for the Death Star battle.

Compare:

e: grammer r gud

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 4, 2015

• Locked thread