Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

bunnyofdoom posted:

:sperg: Actually, Red squadron was blue squadron in the book, while Gold was red. They realized that the blue paint would clash with the bluescreen, leaving the xwings appearing to have big holes in them, so they switched the colours around so x-wings were red, and ywings gold instead.

:goonsay:

So glad I waited to let someone else say what my soul was crying out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Vader's wingmen were part of his personal, hand-picked fighter squadron, so logically, they're high PS because they were very good pilots before ANH.

Good enough to flip out and roll directly into your lead because somebody SCARED you

Backstabber posted:

*explodes*

Mauler Mithel posted:

AHHHHHH AHHHHH AHHHHHH DO A BARREL ROLL *knocks vader off the board* *explodes*

Falcon posted:

:greenangel:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
You know in my head that scene always had the Falcon fire two shots, one clipping Mithel and sending him out of control. I just checked though and you're right he just randomly decides to fly into Vader. :psyduck:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

He clips Vader for the same reason none of the X-Wings or Y-Wings evade the TIEs' shots in the trench. It's a full-speed flight through an extremely close environment where a minor twitch on the controls could splat you against the wall. Mauler twitched.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Look, the important thing in this argument is that I now own an Imperial Raider.

I just got to play two games for the first time in what feels like forever, and to celebrate I flew both games using the thread approved Wedge/Wes/Luke list. I went 1-1 winning against Chewie + Horton Salm and losing to Scum Boba Fett + 2x Black Sun Headhunters. Both games went down to the wire with each of us down to a ship apiece and it all coming down to a single head-on battle. Luke was the inevitable survivor on my end both times...in the first game he killed Chewie, in the second game he blew a four red die attack coming off a K-turn going head to head with the last Scum ship, a slightly damaged Headhunter, and in return he got blown out of the sky.

For the second game I experimented a bit giving Wedge an Engine Upgrade and Determination instead of his usual load out and Determination DID keep him flying through some ugly crits but I didn't feel like it helped me enough on the offensive end. I also discovered that I'm rusty as poo poo flying X-Wings, so clearly the solution is more practice.

I do think that next time I'm swapping VI on Luke out for Lone Wolf as he seems to be the last man standing more often than not.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Endman posted:

He clips Vader for the same reason none of the X-Wings or Y-Wings evade the TIEs' shots in the trench. It's a full-speed flight through an extremely close environment where a minor twitch on the controls could splat you against the wall. Mauler twitched.

On the other hand, that just raises questions of why they were in the trench to begin with. The rebels hiding from the surface towers makes some (minute) sense, and Vader being down there to blow them up works too, especially since he wanted to killwhore a bit.

But why did they have to fly in a 10m wedge formation in the trench to cover him?

Well, aside from the whole inside job angle, of course.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe in case one of the rebel fighters got the idea to hit the brakes and try to get behind him? I dunno.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

I just got to play two games for the first time in what feels like forever, and to celebrate I flew both games using the thread approved Wedge/Wes/Luke list.

Yesssssssss.

I've actually taken to alternating VI and Opportunist on Luke. Sometimes the dice gently caress you, and the best thing to do in that situation is gently caress them right back with MORE RED DICE.

Also Engine Upgrade and PTL is really tempting sometimes. But really, more red dice.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 14, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly I don't know why Vader didn't get inside the cozy crew slot of a decimator for the trench run.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why didnt wedge just fly behind Vader and co and shoot them in the back

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
The hand wave-y explanation would just be because they needed dudes in the trench in case the lead man missed the shot right? With so few fighters already, you can't really just bank on 1 dude

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Why does R2-D2 have wheels when repulsorlift technology is millennia old and basically free? Nothing in Star Wars holds up to any scrutiny.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

Yesssssssss.

I've actually taken to alternating VI and Opportunist on Luke. Sometimes the dice gently caress you, and the best thing to do in that situation is gently caress them right back with MORE RED DICE.

Also Engine Upgrade and PTL is really tempting sometimes. But really, more red dice.

I feel like Lone Wolf is liable to shake out as better value for points than Opportunist on Luke because in both games I played Luke was the last man standing and I think that's a sign of how things are usually going to play out. Wes and Wedge are the obvious targets and got shot at a lot first while the other players realized that shooting at Luke wasn't likely to accomplish as much without a lot of focus fire. Plus Luke doesn't need to worry about flying in formation with Wes and Wedge since they're the ones with the combo, while Luke's just there to mop up and harass people from the sidelines, which also plays into Lone Wolf's strengths. So by the time one or both of Wes/Wedge have been killed (and they probably will since X-Wings can take a hit or two but they're still just, y'know, X-Wings) that's when Luke starts becoming more important, and the more isolated he is the more you can count on Lone Wolf to always be giving you those rerolls.

Opportunist could work but it's both more expensive and if Luke has R2-D2 then his green maneuvers are more limited for stress clearing, plus sometimes you just want that K-turn especially near the late game when it's down to Luke and one last banged-up ship. Now between R2-D2 and a Stealth Device I'm a little less sure which is better for a "tanky Luke" build. Stealth Device + Lone Wolf + Luke is something you ran the numbers on and it came out looking pretty good, but like you said, sometimes the dice gently caress you and then Stealth Device is gone. As long as it helps negate at least 1 hit then you still got comparable bang for your buck as a Hull Upgrade, but R2-D2 seems like he can keep Luke in the air longer, albeit at the cost of predictable movement.

Really though, I just need to fly better. The game against the Scum player was lost in part because I flubbed a set of K-turns that wound up bumping into enemy ships, leaving Luke and Wedge (Wes had been vaporized in one shot courtesy of Boba Fett with an HLC and Marksmanship) near the board edge, stressed and facing the wrong direction. Determination prevented two crits from sticking to Wedge but I didn't manage to recover fast enough. I killed Fett and one Headhunter but Wedge died, leaving Luke and the Headhunter to fly circles around each other until we got into jousting position and that was that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Razzled posted:

The hand wave-y explanation would just be because they needed dudes in the trench in case the lead man missed the shot right? With so few fighters already, you can't really just bank on 1 dude

True enough. On rewatching it, I noticed that one of them actually does shoot down one of the wingmen from the second trench run, and damages Wedge during the third.

Another question is where the other four from the initial TIE wave go. You see six of them rolling in to pick Red Squadron apart, and Luke and Wedge kill 2 before everyone egresses (somehow) to a holding pattern and wait for Gold Squadron to be killed off by Vader.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 14, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I tried Luke with Lone Wolf and a Stealth Device, and in response the opponent just focused down Luke since I was trying to keep him at a range his Lone Wolf would still work. It limits the amount of firepower you can reliably put on one target in the first engagement, which is where X-wings have their greatest relative advantage (or lack of disadvantage) against most ships in the game. Opportunist on Luke is useful in a high alpha joust, where you want to put out eight or ten hits without relying too much on getting even average dice. Luke and Wedge both with Opportunist helped me shoot down a Brobot a couple days ago before he even fired a shot. If you can get the X-wings lined up (which is an if, granted), then you can put some ungodly hurt on some poor bastard.

Luke using R2-D2 with Opportunist means he's going to be doing green moves whether he's stressed or not the moment he starts taking fire, so I don't write it off as much of a loss. If I want to K-turn, or do a hard maneuver the next turn, that's something to consider while determining whether to use Opportunist. you don't have to, if the maneuver is necessary.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

:sperg: Actually, Red squadron was blue squadron in the book, while Gold was red. They realized that the blue paint would clash with the bluescreen, leaving the xwings appearing to have big holes in them, so they switched the colours around so x-wings were red, and ywings gold instead.

:goonsay:

Additional: Red Squadron was Gold Squadron in the radioplay version, for no identifiable reason.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

I tried Luke with Lone Wolf and a Stealth Device, and in response the opponent just focused down Luke since I was trying to keep him at a range his Lone Wolf would still work. It limits the amount of firepower you can reliably put on one target in the first engagement, which is where X-wings have their greatest relative advantage (or lack of disadvantage) against most ships in the game. Opportunist on Luke is useful in a high alpha joust, where you want to put out eight or ten hits without relying too much on getting even average dice. Luke and Wedge both with Opportunist helped me shoot down a Brobot a couple days ago before he even fired a shot. If you can get the X-wings lined up (which is an if, granted), then you can put some ungodly hurt on some poor bastard.

Luke using R2-D2 with Opportunist means he's going to be doing green moves whether he's stressed or not the moment he starts taking fire, so I don't write it off as much of a loss. If I want to K-turn, or do a hard maneuver the next turn, that's something to consider while determining whether to use Opportunist. you don't have to, if the maneuver is necessary.

All sound advice, but Opportunist also pushes up the cost of the list to 100 from 97, which is something to consider based on what lists you're likely to be playing against. Like it only matters against dual IG's if they're using Veteran Instincts, otherwise you still move last/shoot first anyway, but someone playing Whisper with VI or Soontir Fell or something like that, coming down to Pilot Skill (and having Luke go last, and maybe even Wedge) seems like it could hurt.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's also definitely true. I favor overall the one with Luke/Wes with VI, simply due to the initiative bid. Ruining some rear end in a top hat Soontir's day because you did a wacky maneuver he wasn't expecting is the greatest thing. Still, there's nothing wrong with shooting 11 red dice at mid-range on three ships.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

Why didnt wedge just fly behind Vader and co and shoot them in the back

That's basically what you're supposed to do in Rogue Leader.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fat Samurai posted:

Just received this at my workplace, so I hope to have it set up and playing in 4-5 hours. Both me and my opponent have read the rules, and we'll just field all the ships and try to end up with something balanced on the fly. Any rules that are easy to mess up?

Road Trip: Having only 3 dice sucks. Formations are hard. I'm going to need bigger shelves.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Friend of mine is gonna use my wes/wedge/keyan list at a national :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

Friend of mine is gonna use my wes/wedge/keyan list at a national :v:

How do you outfit Keyan in that list? Even as cheap as B-Wings are if your Wes and Wedge are similar to Strobe's that clocks in at 93 points without any upgrades to Keyan's B-Wing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Wes Janson (30)
X-Wing (29), Veteran Instincts (1)

Wedge Antilles (34)
X-Wing (29), R2 Astromech (1), Opportunist (4)

Keyan Farlander (33)
B-Wing (29), Opportunist (4)

You can add Advanced Sensors to Keyan but he doesn't really need it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tippis posted:

On the other hand, that just raises questions of why they were in the trench to begin with. The rebels hiding from the surface towers makes some (minute) sense, and Vader being down there to blow them up works too, especially since he wanted to killwhore a bit.

But why did they have to fly in a 10m wedge formation in the trench to cover him?

Well, aside from the whole inside job angle, of course.

They're bad movies written by a bad writer, the movies he cribbed off didn't have any spacefights so he couldn't just copy what they did?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Aramoro posted:

They're bad movies written by a bad writer, the movies he cribbed off didn't have any spacefights so he couldn't just copy what they did?

:monocle: :ssh:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
:tinfoil:
https://web.archive.org/web/20141011081743/http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I have 4 points left over on a Wedge and A wing build and I know proton torpedoes are bad but should I just put them on wedge to eat the last points on the off chance he can do something with them? He is kitted out with Opprotunist, engine upgrade, and R5-K6.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Forcing an arc dodger list to move before Wedge is a much better use of those 4 points.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Poopy Palpy posted:

Forcing an arc dodger list to move before Wedge is a much better use of those 4 points.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FFG Article posted:

Even the Emperor makes a personal appearance in the Imperial Raider Expansion Pack, arriving to the game as a powerful crew upgrade that allows you to reroll any one of your ships' dice, once per round.
:crossarms:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
E: Ignore me, talking rubbish, you noticed the reroll thing.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Has to be a mistake, they already revealed the card, and 8 points + two crew slots for rerolling one dice per round would be absolute garbage.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah it is, just weird that they missed it.

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...
They even link to the card a few sentences later which shows the "change any friendly ship's die result to any other die result". Someone needs a better editor.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
My core set arrived yesterday, and I was able to get two games in today. What an elegant dogfighting game! I can't wait for the other ships to arrive, so that I can try out more diverse battles. Hopefully I can convince at least a couple of my friends from our gaming group to buy a squadron of their own.

By they way, can you recommend any European retailers that offer cheap but still viable space-themed gaming mats (fabric, vinyl or other material)? I don't mind if the product is meant to be a tablecloth, shower curtain or a doormat, if it looks good and servers its function.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 15, 2015

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

These Loving Eyes posted:

My core set arrived yesterday, and I was able to get two games in today. What an elegant dogfighting game! I can't wait for the other ships to arrive, so that I can try out more diverse battles. Hopefully I can convince at least a couple of my friends from our gaming group to buy a squadron of their own.

By they way, can you recommend any European retailers that offer cheap but still viable space-themed gaming mats (fabric, vinyl or other material)? I don't mind if the product is meant to be a tablecloth, shower curtain or a doormat, if it looks good and servers its function.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321769652485&globalID=EBAY-US

There are a few lines running across it, but I haven't unpacked it yet soI can't tell how many.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Not a viking posted:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321769652485&globalID=EBAY-US

There are a few lines running across it, but I haven't unpacked it yet soI can't tell how many.

This seems like a great option! Do you mean lines as in clear colored lines in the texture or as the repetition of the edges of the pattern? On the preview picture it looks almost seamless.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So my friend got the raider yesterday, and I got the transport. The size between them is massive. We played a regular game btw. Did a wes/wedge combo, with the third slot being a stresshog. I was able to dictate his whisper Echo Juno list quite well with it surprisingly. Now the two of us are discussing going to a team tournament togetether, epic.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm thinking about taking:

Kath Scarlet, VI, HLC, K4 Security Droid, and Engine Upgrade
2x Syndicate Thugs with Ion Turrets and BTL-A4

99 points.

The idea being to try and bid out Han and Soontir and hopefully put damage on anything fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Did more Wedge/Wes/Luke up against an Expose Cherineau and a kitted out Fel.

Lost, but it came down to Wedge rolling badly against the Decimator, which had two HP left. The important thing is I smoked Fel with some X-wings, and that's enough for me.

• Locked thread